Easter and Christmas. Idolatry or religious festival?

Status
Not open for further replies.

xristos.anesti

Veteran
Jul 2, 2005
✟10,525.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
IgnatiusOfAntioch said:
Interesting, you believe that the Incarnation of God and His resurrection from the dead are pagan!

If you are going to avoid previously pagan holidays (you are aware that every day of the year was dedicated to some pagan god aren't you?) than you should shun Sunday as it was the ancient day that belonged to the god of the sun. I myself believe that it now belongs to the Son of God. Of course I also believe that every is the day that the Lord has made and we should rejoice and be glad in it; especially the days that we celebrate the Nativity of Jesus and His resurrection.

Should be said again.

Many years.

Upvote 0

Normann

Mar 30, 2005
Victoria, Texas USA
✟9,022.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
opakueken said:
Hi :wave:

There are a few persons (me including) who claim that Easter and Christmas is not a religios fetival at all, but idolatry. And it does never ever please God.

What is your opinion and can you support it by the Bible?

My Dad was strongly against Christmas and Easter, after he became bitter toward certain people. In his younger years he was not like that.

From what I know about these holidays there is the possibilty that they did begin as pagan. My feeling is that if I commerate the Birth of Christ on Dec. 25th or June 10th and do that in His honor then I can have a good time without guilt. For Easter the same feeling, I give no honor to any pagan god for Easter, to me it is the commeration of the day Christ rose from the dead.

If you're 5 years old there's nothing wrong with an egg hunt!

Normann

Upvote 0

Normann

Mar 30, 2005
Victoria, Texas USA
✟9,022.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
StevenL said:
The worship of God has nothing to do with a Christ's Mass....the mass is an abomination. The name Easter is an abomination.

Better to just stick with worshipping God in spirit and it Truth.

Paul's admonition about keeping days or not keeping days had NOTHING to do with mixing paganism with the worship of God. But, as long as christians can feel warm and fuzzy, they don't really care. The object is the warm fuzzy. That's how people are deceived.

If Christmas is so very evil, then when your boss hands you a Christmas bonus you should tear it up and hand it back to him no matter how much money it is. And don't forget to tell him you do not want any holiday pay either.

Normann

Upvote 0

Entertaining_Angels

Aug 12, 2004
east coast
✟23,975.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Normann said:
If Christmas is so very evil, then when your boss hands you a Christmas bonus you should tear it up and hand it back to him no matter how much money it is. And don't forget to tell him you do not want any holiday pay either.

Normann

I love celebrating Christmas and look forward to it every year but I also know that Paul clearly taught that while food and days are clean for us, we do have brothers and sisters who, because of a weaker faith or adherence to tradition, may abstain and that is fine.

No need to mock them. Instead be a brother and support them. So what if somebody tells you you cannot. Water off a duck's back...or words to that effect. You are able to celebrate these days with a clean conscience.

I find these arguments that say, well if you don't do 'A', then you cannot do 'B' either because of 'C', tiresome and they are never given in a Christian spirit.

God bless.

Upvote 0

StevenL

Veteran
Sep 10, 2004
Louisiana, USA
✟10,024.00
Faith
Christian
Actually, what Paul was clearly teaching about the days and food was in relation to the law of Moses.....not about keeping pagan traditions and mixing lies with truth. Two different concepts entirely. But we choose to mingle the two ideas because this allows us to keep our religious traditions that make us feel good and warm and fuzzy.....just like our parents and our grandparents did....with no thought for the Word of God or for revelation knowledge whatsoever.

Paul also said "all things are lawful." But news flash: If one thinks adultery, including spiritual adultery, is "lawful", and decides...."hey well it's lawful, just not profitable...I can do it it just won't be good..", this one will find out at his sentencing that all things were indeed NOT lawful. These are some of what Cephas was talking about when he said that Paul wrote some things "hard to understand which the untaught and unstable twist to their own utter destruction." We have to read the Word with understanding of what the Writer was talking about in its original context, not with a view to slant the Words to agree with our own desires and traditions.

Truth: Christ and Mass have nothing whatsoever to do with each other. It is a lie. Christ and "Easter" are totally incompatible. Of course the truths that have been shrouded with these lies are wonderful. But the shrouds themselves have kept many generations of people in darkness. And most of the "church" world is today in darkness and the captives don't really want to know why. In fact, we pay people to stand behind boxes with crosses and doves on them and keep us in ignorance. Amazing.

:)

Upvote 0

holo

former Christian
Dec 24, 2003
✟77,794.00
Country
Norway
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
It's good to remembber Christ whether or not it's a christian, jewish or pagan holiday.

Personally, to me they're just days off, and I'm grateful for that. I don't get Jesus and Santa mixed up.

StevenL,
it's true what you say about reading the scriptures, but more than context and reason, we need Spirit, just like we need love more than rules and morality. Yes, God will not hold me accountable for breaking a law under the old covenant. He gives me His love and His Spirit to guide me. My love for people is the only reason I don't steal, my respect for people, sex and relationships is why I don't sleep around (plus, I'm ugly). It has nothing to do with being prohibited. Laws are for the wicked, not the children of God.

Upvote 0

Entertaining_Angels

Aug 12, 2004
east coast
✟23,975.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
No, Paul's point was that the things once considered unclean (i.e. food sacrificed to idols) were no longer unclean. I see no difference between the food sacrificed to idols and days that you might declare as 'sacrificed' to idols.

Now, if celebrating the day causes somebody in my family to sin, then my family member comes first.

The law was summed up with 'Love your neighbor as yourself'. You'll notice, if you do that, all the ten commandments are neatly summed up. Rituals are tossed out the window and the things once unclean are no longer unclean.

As for myself and my family, we only have 105 (or so) days left until Christmas and we are looking forward to that day. Some may try and rob others of that joy but that's not happening here.

God bless.

Upvote 0

opakueken

May 11, 2005
Frankfurt
Visit site
✟15,595.00
Faith
Non-Denom
No, Paul's point was that the things once considered unclean (i.e. food sacrificed to idols) were no longer unclean. I see no difference between the food sacrificed to idols and days that you might declare as 'sacrificed' to idols.
Hey, I too eat that food "sacrificed to idols". For example these short-pastry-cookies, because they are delicious. But I am careful not to celebration Christmas or Easter.

The God is the same today as he was 3000 years ago.
This God rejected Israel, because they run after Astarte/Ashtoreth that is Ishter. And they run after Baal. The same with Salomon no one on earth was like him, but his pagan wifes turnd his faith to there idols.

If God want us to celebrate his birthday, then he would have let us know, when his birthday was. But he hit it from us. No one knows his bithday.

The real origin of Christmas goes back to the ancient Babylon. It is bound up in the organized apostacy with which Satan has gripped a deceived world these many centuries! In Egypt, it was always believed that the son of Iris (Egyptian name for "Queen of Heaven") was born December 25th. Paganism celebrated this famous birthday over most of the known world for centuries before the birth of Christ.
December 25th, is NOT the birthday of Jesus the true Christ! The apostles and early true Church never celebrated Christ's birthday at any time. There is no command or instruction to celebrate it in the Bible- rather, the celebrating of birthdays is a HEATHEN, not a Christian custom, believe it or not!

Christmas has become a COMMERCIAL season. It's sponsored, kept alive, by the heaviest retail advertising campaign of the year. You see a masqueraded "Santa Claus" in many stores. Ads keep us deluded and deceived about the "beautiful Christmas SPIRIT." The newspapers, who sell the ads, print flowery editorials exalting and eulogizing the pagan season, and its "spirit." A gullible people has become so inoculated, many take offense when told the TRUTH! But the "Christmas SPIRIT" is created each year, not to honor Christ, but to SELL MERCHANDISE! Like all Satan's delusions, it appears as an "angel of LIGHT' is made to appear GOOD. BILLIONS OF DOLLARS are spent in this merchandising spree every year, while the CAUSE OF CHRIST must SUFFER! It's part of the economic system of BABYLON!
Rev 18:3+4 Prophecy about Babylon: The kings of the earth committed adultery with her, and the merchants of the earth grew rich from her excessive luxuries. 4 Then I heard another voice from heaven say:Come out of her, my people, so that you will not share in her sins, so that you will not receive any of her plagues;

Two very interesting links:

Abomination Easter: http://www.godschurch.org/easter.html
Abomination Christmas: http://www.godschurch.org/sp/christmas.html

Upvote 0

lismore

Maranatha
Oct 28, 2004
Scotland
✟246,541.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
opakueken said:
Hi :wave:

There are a few persons (me including) who claim that Easter and Christmas is not a religios fetival at all, but idolatry. And it does never ever please God.

What is your opinion and can you support it by the Bible?

According to the bible Jesus was not born on the 25th of December, but at the time of the census on the last day of the feast of tabernacles (circa October). Perhaps he never ate turkey in the stable either. Or had a man in a red suit come down the chimney.

Christmas festival is pure nonsense. let us remember the birth of our saviour every day by sharing the good news of the gospel of salvation with those who are yet on the way to hell.

Lismore

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Entertaining_Angels

Aug 12, 2004
east coast
✟23,975.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
opakueken said:
Christmas has become a COMMERCIAL season. It's sponsored, kept alive, by the heaviest retail advertising campaign of the year. You see a masqueraded "Santa Claus" in many stores. Ads keep us deluded and deceived about the "beautiful Christmas SPIRIT." The newspapers, who sell the ads, print flowery editorials exalting and eulogizing the pagan season, and its "spirit." A gullible people has become so inoculated, many take offense when told the TRUTH! But the "Christmas SPIRIT" is created each year, not to honor Christ, but to SELL MERCHANDISE! Like all Satan's delusions, it appears as an "angel of LIGHT' is made to appear GOOD. BILLIONS OF DOLLARS are spent in this merchandising spree every year, while the CAUSE OF CHRIST must SUFFER! It's part of the economic system of BABYLON!
Rev 18:3+4 Prophecy about Babylon: The kings of the earth committed adultery with her, and the merchants of the earth grew rich from her excessive luxuries. 4 Then I heard another voice from heaven say:Come out of her, my people, so that you will not share in her sins, so that you will not receive any of her plagues;

^_^ You could be descibing many churches here in America today...

but you're not going to make me give up church either.

So what if some people twist Christmas or church. I'm not some people and I don't have to give up things just because many people in church or at Christmas time become materialistic. Boy wouldn't that be horrible if we had to base all our decisions on what seculars do.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Entertaining_Angels

Aug 12, 2004
east coast
✟23,975.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
opakueken said:
Ah OK. Yes I know this. The same is here in Europe. :wave:

Yes, I recently heard somebody saying that of the seven churches in Revelations, the church of Laedicea may symbolize the church today. I don't know a lot about that theory (although I'd like to learn) but it sounds right on when you read about it.

Upvote 0

lismore

Maranatha
Oct 28, 2004
Scotland
✟246,541.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
opakueken said:
Hey, I too eat that food "sacrificed to idols". For example these short-pastry-cookies, because they are delicious. But I am careful not to celebration Christmas or Easter.

The God is the same today as he was 3000 years ago.
This God rejected Israel, because they run after Astarte/Ashtoreth that is Ishter. And they run after Baal. The same with Salomon no one on earth was like him, but his pagan wifes turnd his faith to there idols.

If God want us to celebrate his birthday, then he would have let us know, when his birthday was. But he hit it from us. No one knows his bithday.

The real origin of Christmas goes back to the ancient Babylon. It is bound up in the organized apostacy with which Satan has gripped a deceived world these many centuries! In Egypt, it was always believed that the son of Iris (Egyptian name for "Queen of Heaven") was born December 25th. Paganism celebrated this famous birthday over most of the known world for centuries before the birth of Christ.
December 25th, is NOT the birthday of Jesus the true Christ! The apostles and early true Church never celebrated Christ's birthday at any time. There is no command or instruction to celebrate it in the Bible- rather, the celebrating of birthdays is a HEATHEN, not a Christian custom, believe it or not!

You are right:thumbsup:

I dont remember Jesus with a turkey, getting socks from relatives or a big tree.

I remember him by sharing the gospel with those who would otherwise be lost for all eternity.

Lismore:)

Upvote 0

Entertaining_Angels

Aug 12, 2004
east coast
✟23,975.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I dunno, an awful lot is left out about Jesus' childhood (like 99.9% of it). I have no doubt Jesus and His family had family gatherings with good food and fellowship. And, I've no doubt that he received gifts of socks and other things on special days.

Our neighbors don't celebrate birthdays for many of the reasons here and just seems a little too legalistic.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.