Earth - Game Development

Would You Play Earth?

• Yes! Sounds awesome!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, sorry. Not my cup of tea.

• Possibly. Need to know more about it. :)

• Total voters
Nov 16, 2020
Balclutha
✟8,910.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
Hello all

So I'm thinking about making a game. I'm currently self-teaching myself on a certain game engine. What I am planning is to make a 2D Top-down game. Sort of like how Stardew Valley is made if you've ever played that. Probably no-where near being as great as that game though. So if I've intrigued you so far, keep reading below! :)

Earth will be a 2D Simulation RPG. You will have stats that you must take care of. You can own, rent, sell a home/homes, own and drive a car, get takeaways, go to the cafe, fly to other places, party at clubs, go to church, etc. So many things to do. Now, while all that is possible, you can also do R18+ things which may seem weird or wrong for a Christian to make a game with a good and bad side but hear me out.

The sole main purpose of the game is to let people see what results their actions will have when they carry the actions out in game. So, for example, if they buy meth in game and then get caught and arrested, they then go to jail. This may make them think twice about buying meth in real life.

I've had this idea for 5 years and am slowly starting to work on it by learning a certain game engine. I will put money into creating this game and hopefully will end up, in time, with an awesome 2D game. I will actively update it when it is up and running as well.

What do you think about this? Would you play a 2D Simulation that's based on reality?

Reactions: Jeshu

Jeshu

Bought by His Blood
Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2005
One of the Greatest Places on Earth.
✟600,188.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
i think that the game would quickly become boring. Like ours often is. Perhaps build a spiritual world of good and bad which effects the physical world.

Give them the option to become bad but let it effect their physical reality, cost of health, giving place to evil so good must go out, change their world to dark and spooky and make the wicked which they take in as friends come and destroy them in real life. If you the the opposite way for those who choose to do good and wrong wrong away and take good in.

This way the game would not be boring and you would expose wrong as evil and good as righteousness. This would make a more playable game for you can be very creative drawing images of the wicked as well as the righteous.

Peace

Upvote 0

Devin Hammond

Nov 25, 2020
San Clemente
✟3,773.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Personally as a Christian I wouldn’t make a game like this. Jesus said that every disciple that is perfectly trained will be as his master. I honestly don’t see Jesus Christ making a game like this and we are called to follow his example.

Upvote 0

JohnClay

Married Mouth-Breather
Site Supporter
Oct 27, 2006
Australia
Visit site
✟447,219.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
....The sole main purpose of the game is to let people see what results their actions will have when they carry the actions out in game...
Hi recommend the following game:
Alter Ego | Life Simulation Game
What if you could live your life over again?

In this text-based interactive fiction, you choose what happens next. It's in the style of pick-a-path gamebooks, but with over a thousand multiple-choice questions, it's much longer and deeper than traditional gamebooks. Alter Ego starts at birth and ends at death, including two substantially different versions, depending on whether you choose to be male or female.

Will you grow up to be confident and happy? Will you fight with bullies, or befriend them? Will you find a date to the senior prom? Will you marry and have kids, or start your own business and become a millionaire? The choice is yours.

This game will change your life.

It could give you ideas. I have made a few small games.... have you made many yet? I'd recommend starting off smaller....

BTW which engine? Unity?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟556,756.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Hello all

So I'm thinking about making a game. I'm currently self-teaching myself on a certain game engine. What I am planning is to make a 2D Top-down game. Sort of like how Stardew Valley is made if you've ever played that. Probably no-where near being as great as that game though. So if I've intrigued you so far, keep reading below! :)

Earth will be a 2D Simulation RPG. You will have stats that you must take care of. You can own, rent, sell a home/homes, own and drive a car, get takeaways, go to the cafe, fly to other places, party at clubs, go to church, etc. So many things to do. Now, while all that is possible, you can also do R18+ things which may seem weird or wrong for a Christian to make a game with a good and bad side but hear me out.

The sole main purpose of the game is to let people see what results their actions will have when they carry the actions out in game. So, for example, if they buy meth in game and then get caught and arrested, they then go to jail. This may make them think twice about buying meth in real life.

I've had this idea for 5 years and am slowly starting to work on it by learning a certain game engine. I will put money into creating this game and hopefully will end up, in time, with an awesome 2D game. I will actively update it when it is up and running as well.

What do you think about this? Would you play a 2D Simulation that's based on reality?

I wouldn't play it, but mainly because I don't like playing sim games that aren't racing sims. I would suggest gamifying this a bit more: figure out a goal or a victory condition, or at least some metric of progress. Just not getting addicted to meth isn't a terribly compelling reason to play. For open-ended games, there's often some kind of survival or resource-management mechanic that makes continued existence challenging.

That said, there are a few advantages to the sort of design you've described that can help you through the development, the biggest being that you don't need a game engine or even a computer to figure out the rules and balance. Some genres, e.g. FPS, really need to be implemented well before you can figure out how fun they are, but some genres, e.g. 4X, turn-based strategy, and sims like yours can be prototyped mostly or entirely on paper.

Upvote 0