leftrightleftrightleft

Jul 14, 2009
Canada
✟22,986.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
This is all from another thread and I didn't want to derail it because it was focused more on evolution rather than geology. But someone brought up Earth chronometers and I felt compelled to debunk them.

I applaud anyone who reads all this.

"As evolutionists are so filled with scientific fact you will no doubt be able to answer the following:"

I'll give it a shot even though I know its futile to make YECs value the scientific method and the idea of an awesome universe, created by God with incredible physical laws to govern it.

Your main answer to most of these questions is simply "God did it, case closed". And theological evolutionists would agree that God did do it: using natural, physical processes that are discoverable by the scientific method.

"How do you explain many of the earths chronometers many of which scientifically preclude any possibility of the earth being millions never mind billions of years old"

A quick google search gave me the following list of Earth chronometers: oceanic elemental concentrations, sediment infill into the ocean, magnetic decay, internal thermal gradients in planets, moon and ring drift and Earth's decreasing angular velocity.

1) Oceanic elemental concentrations: When ocean water evaporates (which is a constant ongoing process) salt and other ions are left behind and therefore are naturally removed from the hydrologic cycle in a neat little balance. This is why you get large salt domes forming in areas such as the Gulf of Mexico and the WCSB (Western Canada Sedimentary Basin) which serve as excellent oil and gas traps.

2) Sediment infill: oceanic crust is more dense (basaltic) rather than continental crust (silicic). As such, oceanic crust always subducts beneath continental crust during tectonic collisions. These "slab graveyards" of old oceanic crust have been extensively mapped such as this data based on P-wave velocities under the island of Honshu in Japan where the Pacific plate is subducting beneath the Eurasian landmass: http://www.diggles.com/pgs/2005/NE_Japan.jpg.

This recycling of old oceanic crust also recycles sediments deposited on the sea floor.

3) Magnetic decay: the magnetic field has been decaying since the 1800s at a more and more rapid rate. It has been hypothesized that we are entering a magnetic reversal in which the south pole becomes the north pole and vice versa. http://www.astrosciences.info/magfli...s/image007.jpg
When magma comes up along the Mid-Atlantic Ridge it is liquid rock containing large quantities of iron. Iron is a magnetic metal which, upon solidification will orientate itself parallel to the magnetic field. The Mid-Atlantic Ridge has many definitive bands where these iron grains are orientated in opposite ways suggesting the magnetic field was at one time swapped. http://blue.utb.edu/paullgj/physci14..._Reversals.JPG

4) Internal Thermal Gradients in Planets: If the internal temperature of Earth was cooling without heat production for billions of years, it is true that the Earth and all the other planets would be cold, dead, balls with no tectonic activity. But the Earth produces its own heat which throws off the projected thermal gradient. Radiogenic heating via radioactive decay within the Earth's core, mantle and crust. In the upper crust, radiogenic heating contributes about 65mW per unit area. Also, Lord Kelvin first used thermal gradients to estimate the age of the Earth, he did not take into account radiogenic heating and still came up with an age of 100 million years, which is a lot longer than 6000 as purported by strong creationists.

5) Earth's decreasing angular velocity: Tidal friction is the main source of the Earth's decreasing angular velocity. According to satellite-to-ground-based measurements, the Earth's day is increasing by approximately 2.4 milliseconds per century. A bit of math tells you that this means that 1 billion years ago the Earth-day would have been about 18 hours instead of 24. There are other effects other than tidal friction mind you, if mass is closer to the axis of rotation (for example, if large icecaps cover the poles) then this increases the angular velocity thereby decreasing the length of day. During the last ice age, the fact that so much mass was concentrated at the poles obliterated several million years of slowing due to tidal friction because the Earth's day sped up in a similar way as a figure skater who pulls her arms (mass) towards her will speed up while spinning.

6) Moon and Ring Drift: The moon is drifting away from the Earth at approximately 3.7 cm per year. This is mainly because of tidal friction and tidal lag (the moon is about 12 minutes "ahead" of the "bulge" of high tide). Conservation of angular momentum stipulates that if Earth's angular velocity decreases then the radius between the Earth and moon must increase.

(moment of inertia)(omega)+ [(mass of earth)(mass of moon)/sqrt(mass of earth + mass of moon)]*(sqrt((gravitational constant)*(distance from earth to moon))) = constant

This is happening at such an incredibly slow rate that it hasn't had much effect. At the rate of 3.7 cm per year it would have drifted 37000 km from Earth in a billion years (less than 10 percent the current Earth-moon distance of 384000 km). And based on the above equation the rate that the radius increases isn't linear so if the Earth was rotating faster the relative rate of Earth-moon distance increase would be slower.

None of these so called "Earth chronometers" debunk the Old Earth. In fact, most of the Earth chronometers listed have been used to study the Earth's age!

Most of this information came from "Fundamentals of Geophysics, 2nd Edition" by William Lowrie.

The Earth is older than YECs say it is. That should not detract from the reality of Jesus Christ or God. But the math supports it, the evidence supports it, the theory supports it. There is honestly no legitimate reason to believe in YEC except for the chronological list of Noah's descendants in the Bible. Even taking a literal reading of Genesis 1 doesn't definitively make any claim to when all this took place. According to Genesis 1 you can hypothesize that God created the world in 7, 24 hour days and he did this 16 trillion years ago. So Genesis 5 is the single chapter of the entire Bible which YEC is grounded upon. If people want to ignore God's glorious creation and the evidence therein and instead live ignorantly under the assumption that Genesis 5 must be literally true in order for God and Jesus and salvation to exist, then I have nothing more to say to those people.

I applaud anyone who reads this and I will applaud louder to anyone who attempts to debunk it. And if no one replies I'm forced to assume that either no one read it, or no one can say anything against it.

Reactions: Naraoia

juvenissun

... and God saw that it was good.
Apr 5, 2007
Chicago
✟121,700.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
6) Moon and Ring Drift: The moon is drifting away from the Earth at approximately 3.7 cm per year. This is mainly because of tidal friction and tidal lag (the moon is about 12 minutes "ahead" of the "bulge" of high tide). Conservation of angular momentum stipulates that if Earth's angular velocity decreases then the radius between the Earth and moon must increase.

(moment of inertia)(omega)+ [(mass of earth)(mass of moon)/sqrt(mass of earth + mass of moon)]*(sqrt((gravitational constant)*(distance from earth to moon))) = constant

This is happening at such an incredibly slow rate that it hasn't had much effect. At the rate of 3.7 cm per year it would have drifted 37000 km from Earth in a billion years (less than 10 percent the current Earth-moon distance of 384000 km). And based on the above equation the rate that the radius increases isn't linear so if the Earth was rotating faster the relative rate of Earth-moon distance increase would be slower.

Assume the 3.7 cm/yr of the current rate of separation is correct. I assume this value would be much larger when the moon was much closer to the earth. How do you count this factor of changing rate into the calculation? I am not a geophysicist. So I count on you to do the calculation. I don't think it is a hard question.

Upvote 0

Frumious Bandersnatch

Contributor
Mar 4, 2003
Visit site
✟23,431.00
Faith
Unitarian
Assume the 3.7 cm/yr of the current rate of separation is correct. I assume this value would be much larger when the moon was much closer to the earth. How do you count this factor of changing rate into the calculation? I am not a geophysicist. So I count on you to do the calculation. I don't think it is a hard question.
Actually the calculation of the recession rate of the moon through time is far from simple because the rate of recession depends on tidal dissipation and tidal dissipation depends on the configuration of the continents. You could read several of the relevant papers including
Kagan, B.A. & Maslova, N.B. A stochastic model of the Earth-moon tidal evolution accounting for cyclic variations of resonant properties of the ocean: An asymptotic solution Earth, Moon and Planets 66: 173-188, 1994
and
Kagan, B.A. Earth-Moon tidal evolution: model results and observational evidence Progress in Oceanography 40(1-4): 109-124, 1997

as I have done, but if you want a detailed analysis I suggest Tim Thompson's talk origins page on the subject.
The Recession of the Moon and the Age of the Earth-Moon System

Upvote 0

juvenissun

Apr 5, 2007
Chicago
✟121,700.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Actually the calculation of the recession rate of the moon through time is far from simple because the rate of recession depends on tidal dissipation and tidal dissipation depends on the configuration of the continents. You could read several of the relevant papers including
Kagan, B.A. & Maslova, N.B. A stochastic model of the Earth-moon tidal evolution accounting for cyclic variations of resonant properties of the ocean: An asymptotic solution Earth, Moon and Planets 66: 173-188, 1994
and
Kagan, B.A. Earth-Moon tidal evolution: model results and observational evidence Progress in Oceanography 40(1-4): 109-124, 1997

as I have done, but if you want a detailed analysis I suggest Tim Thompson's talk origins page on the subject.

This paleontological evidence comes in the form of tidal rhythmites, also known as tidally laminated sediments. Rhythmites have been subjected to intense scrutiny over the last decade or so, and have returned strong results. Williams (1990) reports that 650 million years ago, the lunar rate of retreat was 1.95±0.29 cm/year, and that over the period from 2.5 billion to 650 million years ago, the mean recession rate was 1.27 cm/year. Williams reanalyzed the same data set later (Williams, 1997), showing a mean recession rate of 2.16 cm/year in the period between now and 650 million years ago. That these kinds of data are reliable is demonstrated by Archer (1996). There is also a very good review of the earlier paleontological evidence by Lambeck (1980, chapter 11, paleorotation)

As you can see, the paleontological evidence indicates that moon today is retreating from Earth anomalously rapidly. This is exactly as expected from the theoretical models that I have already referenced. The combination of consistent results from both theoretical models and paleontological evidence presents a pretty strong picture of the tidal evolution of the Earth-moon system. Bills & Ray (1999) give a good review of the current status of this harmony. Without realizing it, they have also explained well why the creationist arguments are unacceptable.

To my surprise, it suggested the moon receded slower in the past. However, it does not give any details of calculation. My intuitive sense is that when the moon was closer to the earth, it must orbit faster. As a consequence, it should recede faster.

If you know something I don't, then please explain to me why is it not the case. (Even it may be complicated, it still can be explained in a simple way. Right?)

Upvote 0

Frumious Bandersnatch

Contributor
Mar 4, 2003
Visit site
✟23,431.00
Faith
Unitarian
To my surprise, it suggested the moon receded slower in the past. However, it does not give any details of calculation. My intuitive sense is that when the moon was closer to the earth, it must orbit faster. As a consequence, it should recede faster.

If you know something I don't, then please explain to me why is it not the case. (Even it may be complicated, it still can be explained in a simple way. Right?)
I think Tim explained it pretty well considering that the problem actually is complex.
Although it may seem to the casual reader that the Earth-moon system is fairly simple (after all, it's just Earth and the moon), this is only an illusion. In fact, it is frightfully complicated, and it has taken over 100 years for physicists to generate the mathematical tools, and physical models, necessary to understand the problem.
Figure 3 in the quote below refers to the figure from the TO web page uploaded below.
But the Earth-ocean system also exerts a torque (a "twisting" force) on the moon, because the line along the arrow labeled "B" in figure 3 is at an angle to the line that connects the center of the Earth to the center of the moon. As a result of that torque, the Earth also transfers energy (causing its spin rate to slow) through the ocean bulge, and gravity, to the moon (causing it to speed forward in its orbit, and therefore move farther away from the Earth).

The amount of energy transfered depends on the amount of friction generated between the tides and the planet. In the deep ocean this is small but it is significant in shallow seas and along continental margins. Thus the configuration of the continents is very import. When there was a single large continent such as Pangea or Rhodinia the rate of recession was less because there was much less coastline.

The rate of recession over at least some times in the past can be determined by investigating tidal rhythmites. I have Archer's paper on this and his numbers are in general agreement with Kagan's calculations.

Reference:
Archer, A.W. Reliability of lunar orbital periods extracted from ancient cyclic tidal rhythmites Earth and Planetary Science Letters 141(1-4): 1-10, June 1996

Attachments

• tide-friction.jpg
    tide-friction.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 150
Upvote 0

USincognito

a post by Alan Smithee
Site Supporter
Dec 25, 2003
Dallas
✟871,731.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Assume the 3.7 cm/yr of the current rate of separation is correct. I assume this value would be much larger when the moon was much closer to the earth.

Why would you think that? Do you know of any other force where the objects subject to it are effected less the closer they are? If so, why would you think that about gravity and tidal forces?

Upvote 0

juvenissun

Apr 5, 2007
Chicago
✟121,700.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Why would you think that? Do you know of any other force where the objects subject to it are effected less the closer they are? If so, why would you think that about gravity and tidal forces?

The closer the moon, the faster it orbits, the larger the centrifugal force.
I learned this in my high school. Hope it is still valid.

And I don't think whatever happened on the earth (tides, tectonics etc.) has much effect to that force. It is all between the mass of the earth and the mass of the moon.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

juvenissun

Apr 5, 2007
Chicago
✟121,700.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
The amount of energy transfered depends on the amount of friction generated between the tides and the planet. In the deep ocean this is small but it is significant in shallow seas and along continental margins. Thus the configuration of the continents is very import. When there was a single large continent such as Pangea or Rhodinia the rate of recession was less because there was much less coastline.

Please illustrate to me why would the tide and tectonics have a significant effect to the gravity force of the earth. The mass of water and continent are only a tiny fraction of the earth's mass. I can see it may have some effect to the rotation of the earth. But why should the moon care about this?

Has leftright.... run away? I only pick up ONE problem, which I don't quite understand, to look at. He has no chance on other problems he mentioned.

Upvote 0

Assyrian

Basically pulling an Obama (Thanks Calminian!)
Mar 31, 2006
Wales
✟27,286.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

And I don't think whatever happened on the earth (tides, tectonics etc.) has much effect to that force. It is all between the mass of the earth and the mass of the moon.
Isn't the gravitational attraction greater the closer the moon is too? If it was down to the mass of the earth and the mass of the moon, the moon would simply find a stable orbit and stay there. What causes the moon to recede is the difference between the earth's rotation and the moon's orbit. This results in tides which in turn pull on the moon changing the speed of its orbit.

The closer the moon, the faster its orbited and the closer it was to the earth's rotation period. The closer they matched the less difference between them and the slower the moon recedes. Think of it this way. If the moon was in geosynchronous orbit, the only tide would be bulges in the earth's oceans in line with the earth - moon axis, in other words right below the moon. The 'tide' would stay put and would not have any effect on the moon's orbit other than as part of the earth's gravity.

Upvote 0

Frumious Bandersnatch

Contributor
Mar 4, 2003
Visit site
✟23,431.00
Faith
Unitarian

Well what you think is wrong. What you are missing is that without some mechanism to increase the rotational energy and angular momentum of the moon its orbit would be stable and it would not be receeding. I suppose the orbit would decay very very slowly due to friction of the moon moving though space which is not a perfect vacuum but for all practical purposes it would be stable.

The mechanism I have decribed transfers energy from the rotation of the earth to the orbit of the moon through gravitation interaction and tidal forces. This has been known for more than 100 years. The effect is small and depends on the configuration of the continents as I have explained. The magnitude of the effect can be calculated to predict recession rates now and in the past and calculated past recession rates agree with paleontological data from tidal rhythmites as Tim explained in section you quoted.

Upvote 0

leftrightleftrightleft

Jul 14, 2009
Canada
✟22,986.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married

The equation I showed in my original message is kind of messy because I don't know how to do equations on this forum. However, in that equation we basically have three variable: the angular velocity of the Earth, the moment of inertia of the Earth and the Earth-moon distance. (In reality there are more terms to include the angular velocity of the moon and the moment of inertia of the moon but these are very small in comparison and can be neglected). As I stated in the original post, the angular velocity of the Earth has been decreasing steadily due to tidal friction (with a few blips due to changes in moment of inertia). Because of this, the earth-moon distance has been increasing steadily in a similar fashion.

But the distance between the earth and moon does not affect the rate of of change of the distance between the earth and moon. Only the rate of change of the moment of inertia or the rate of change of the angular velocity (aka angular acceleration) would alter the rate of change of the earth-moon distance.

For example, if (for some reason), Earth's angular velocity started decreasing exponentially (non-linear angular deceleration), then we would see the rate of change of the Earth-moon distance increase rapidly at an increasing rate. But whether the Moon is near the Earth or far from the Earth wouldn't affect the rate. (Perhaps a little counter-intuitive but that's how math works sometimes.)

(Although it is worth noting that there is an equilibrium position where this process will stop: when the Earth and moons rotations are synchronous at 48 present earth days and when the earth-moon distance is approximately 1.5 times its present distance you end up with a situation, according to the equation, where you have to have a negative second term in order to keep it constant; the second term can never be negative so the process stops. This has already happened with Pluto and its moon, Charon.)

Upvote 0

leftrightleftrightleft

Jul 14, 2009
Canada
✟22,986.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Please illustrate to me why would the tide and tectonics have a significant effect to the gravity force of the earth. The mass of water and continent are only a tiny fraction of the earth's mass. I can see it may have some effect to the rotation of the earth. But why should the moon care about this?

Has leftright.... run away? I only pick up ONE problem, which I don't quite understand, to look at. He has no chance on other problems he mentioned.

The entire premise of the increasing distance between the Earth and moon is based largely on tidal friction because tidal friction and the such torsional effects is what is causing the Earth's angular velocity to decrease. It is only because the Earth's angular velocity is decreasing that the earth-moon distance is increasing.

This is also why, when the Earth and moon reach that synchronous state I mentioned in my last post, the process will stop. The tidal bulge will then be stationary because the Earth and moon will be rotating at the same rate; thusly, no tidal friction exists and the Earth's angular velocity will stop decreasing due to lunar tidal friction.

Keep in mind this is all still quite simplistic. We could go on and deal with solar tides (which contribute about 45% of the tidal effect of the moon which is why there are two tides per day with one generally higher than the other if you are above a certain latitude). So the Earth's angular velocity would still change slightly due to various factors and, due to these other factors the Earth-moon distance would still increase, so when I say it reaches an "equilibrium state" I just mean it reaches such a state mathematically if you are only considering lunar tidal effects.

Continents and tectonics can play a role also in determining the angular velocity similar to the ice ages I already mentioned. If continents are situated near the poles we get faster angular velocity because of a smaller moment of inertia. There's a lot of factors here and like someone already mentioned in a previous post, the Earth-moon system is really, really horribly complex.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

juvenissun

Apr 5, 2007
Chicago
✟121,700.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Isn't the gravitational attraction greater the closer the moon is too? If it was down to the mass of the earth and the mass of the moon, the moon would simply find a stable orbit and stay there. What causes the moon to recede is the difference between the earth's rotation and the moon's orbit. This results in tides which in turn pull on the moon changing the speed of its orbit.

The closer the moon, the faster its orbited and the closer it was to the earth's rotation period. The closer they matched the less difference between them and the slower the moon recedes. Think of it this way. If the moon was in geosynchronous orbit, the only tide would be bulges in the earth's oceans in line with the earth - moon axis, in other words right below the moon. The 'tide' would stay put and would not have any effect on the moon's orbit other than as part of the earth's gravity.

Messy. I like to see an equation about it.

Upvote 0

juvenissun

Apr 5, 2007
Chicago
✟121,700.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Well what you think is wrong. What you are missing is that without some mechanism to increase the rotational energy and angular momentum of the moon its orbit would be stable and it would not be receeding. I suppose the orbit would decay very very slowly due to friction of the moon moving though space which is not a perfect vacuum but for all practical purposes it would be stable.

The mechanism I have decribed transfers energy from the rotation of the earth to the orbit of the moon through gravitation interaction and tidal forces. This has been known for more than 100 years. The effect is small and depends on the configuration of the continents as I have explained. The magnitude of the effect can be calculated to predict recession rates now and in the past and calculated past recession rates agree with paleontological data from tidal rhythmites as Tim explained in section you quoted.

Could you give me a, or a set of, equations that describe it?
The diagrams do not ring any bell to me.

Upvote 0

juvenissun

Apr 5, 2007
Chicago
✟121,700.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
The entire premise of the increasing distance between the Earth and moon is based largely on tidal friction because tidal friction and the such torsional effects is what is causing the Earth's angular velocity to decrease. It is only because the Earth's angular velocity is decreasing that the earth-moon distance is increasing.

This is also why, when the Earth and moon reach that synchronous state I mentioned in my last post, the process will stop. The tidal bulge will then be stationary because the Earth and moon will be rotating at the same rate; thusly, no tidal friction exists and the Earth's angular velocity will stop decreasing due to lunar tidal friction.

Keep in mind this is all still quite simplistic. We could go on and deal with solar tides (which contribute about 45% of the tidal effect of the moon which is why there are two tides per day with one generally higher than the other if you are above a certain latitude). So the Earth's angular velocity would still change slightly due to various factors and, due to these other factors the Earth-moon distance would still increase, so when I say it reaches an "equilibrium state" I just mean it reaches such a state mathematically if you are only considering lunar tidal effects.

Continents and tectonics can play a role also in determining the angular velocity similar to the ice ages I already mentioned. If continents are situated near the poles we get faster angular velocity because of a smaller moment of inertia. There's a lot of factors here and like someone already mentioned in a previous post, the Earth-moon system is really, really horribly complex.

Got you. I need to work on that a little bit because I still can not see it.

Upvote 0

Frumious Bandersnatch

Contributor
Mar 4, 2003
Visit site
✟23,431.00
Faith
Unitarian
Could you give me a, or a set of, equations that describe it?
The diagrams do not ring any bell to me.
It is not quite so easy. Kagan and Maslova has more the 35 equations. 35 of them are numbered. Just to give you a flavor of it I have upload the section with the final equations and attached it. It is a bit hard to follow them without the entire paper (or even with the paper for that matter). I was able to get this paper online for free but you may not be able to. Still you should be able to get it at any university library.

Kagan, B.A. & Maslova, N.B.
A stochastic model of the Earth-moon tidal evolution accounting for
cyclic variations of resonant properties of the ocean: An asymptotic solution
Earth, Moon and Planets 66: 173-188, 1994

Attachments

• Kagan and Maslova equations.jpg
    Kagan and Maslova equations.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 61
Upvote 0