enroute
✟1,395,508.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I don't know, really. But, I have read several translations of the Bible and some verses seem to have ,imho, more clarity than the KJV.I hope no one asks the tedious question of how so. I don't know if this response answers your question. I just thought I would take a stab at it. :)

Upvote 0

Micah888

Apr 20, 2018
CALGARY
✟21,176.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Dynamic and formal equivalence - Wikipedia
What does that mean to religion as we know it? Thoughts?
It does not mean much to "religion" (as such) but it means a great deal to those who believe that the Bible is the Word of God as well as the words of God in Hebrew and Greek (as found in the majority of manuscripts).

A faithful, word-for-word translation attempts to reproduce (as much as feasible) what was stated in the original text WITHOUT ANY INTERPRETATION. Where words are inserted (as in the KJB) they are clearly identifiable by being in italics.

Dynamic equivalence, on the other hand, tries to interpret Scripture, and therefore adds and subtracts words at will. The NIV is a good example.

Upvote 0

Citizen of the Kingdom

Supporter
Jan 31, 2006
Vancouver
Visit site
✟303,748.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Excerpt from dynamic Transcendency ~ Paul D. Hanson ~ the correlation of confessional heritage and contemporary experience in a biblical model of divine activity.

The religiosity expressed by Job’s ‘friends ‘ in their efforts to bring him back into conformity with established teachings consisted of words drawn from the past and repeated without critical reflection or integration with contemporary life, words subservient to an ‘airtight’ theological system of retribution, words closed to any new human experience or encounter with the divine which challenged the Golden Age of Yore. Such is the inevitable fate of any religion which quarantines it’s ancient past as the only age within which revelation of divine nature or will occurred, and which lives in the present by means of repetition and imitation unaffected by the spirit of exploration or anticipation.

The formulation for the model of dynamic transcendency is from detailed exegesis. The bible regarding revelation while acknowledging it's diversity brings confessional heritage into dialog with recent discoveries of theological developments. The challenge is to "encounter the living God within the tension between a Vision of the Kingdom and the realities of the age."

Upvote 0

Citizen of the Kingdom

Supporter
Jan 31, 2006
Vancouver
Visit site
✟303,748.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
When communal dimensions in the old testament are recognised and acknowledged of genuine biblical quality, the spiritual appropriation leds to the experience of Mysterium Divinum ~ God still active as creator, redeemer and sustainer ~ an active acknowledgement of progression in the bible ~ or deny divine activity in the faith of the community and deny that the communities experience has any significant bearing on the historical process.

For instance:
There's an attribute of God as to His mercy and justice that is carried thru-out the prophets and psalmists and given a different emphasis of meaning to each as it has related to their own experiences. Nahum 1:2-3 in vindication; repentant community Joel 2:13 ...
In fact Jonah used it in a prayer motivated by anger to accuse God! Jonah 4:2

Others used it for hymns such as Psalms 111:4, Psalms 112:4, Psalms 145:8 or a song of thanksgiving Psalms 103:8 and as an individual lament in Psalms 85:5 Psalms 86:15. The same attribute used in prayer Numbers 14:18; Jeremiah 32:18 and in supplication Nehemiah 1:5 and used to sustain even the guilty Nehemiah 9:27-28, 31.
All of which shows forth God’s care for each individual that comes to Him as well as for His inclusive care of His Family.
Exodus 34:6-7; Deuteronomy 5:9-10; Exodus 20:5-6; Deuteronomy 5:3; Deuteronomy 7:9-10

In all it shows a balanced picture that entails scripture itself revealing multiple levels of interpretation of itself that involves a process of understanding.

But I especially love how God Himself drew the picture of His own hermeneutics of Mercy and Justice, offering the interpretative clue within the text, in the form of shelter, shade and wind to bring it into present context. (re: Jonah 4:5-11) In this can be seen (individually) how His ways are so much higher than our own while also (nationally) how the Jews were shaded by the law but tribulation came from the wind of change to those who didn't accept Gentile/Jewish/bond/free/etc inclusiveness of the new covenant as seen in the destruction of temple, sacrifices and priesthood (the book of Hebrews). Jonah would rather have died than see Nineveh saved.

The old covenant only had the shadow of good things to come, protecting them in the land of promise from temporal evil, but emptied out and faded away in captive dispersion. Jonah only enjoyed the shade for one day before the caterpillar came and ate it gone. Then came the heat of the east wind. Jonah’s values were backwards. He cared more for the plant life than he did for the higher forms of life of animals and human beings. He was being fleshly and not of soul or spirit. Thankfully God is nothing like that and cares about all of our life and salvation. So in the final analysis, like Jonah it doesn’t necessarily follow that the church of God can build it’s own little shelter to watch the walls of our own little Nineveh tumble down.

Elijah also had extreme despondency but his was in zeal for the glory of God, Isaiah 33:16 while Jonah mourned the loss of his own glory. Philippians 2:21

God provided both the whale and the worm just as He provides for both the huge and little things in our lives. Our own shelters, built with human hands, do nothing against God's other provisions of wind and scorching sun. Raining fire upon Nineveh isn't always a part of His plan no matter how much we think it should be. Jonah 1:12, Jonah 4:3, Jonah 4:8 Jonah lost the vine for protection but he still had God. And from that picture we can see God and humankind reasoning together to come to the fuller understanding. Ephesians 4:13-14

Once again, in the final analysis, conformity to His Divine Will, by continuing or ceasing from a work, as the Lord’s servant, is compared to the vanity of doing things with His blessing or in vain without His blessing. We can’t all make the sun stand still. Instead we look to the Captain of Salvation and realize (the reality of) where our post did began and on what He says it ends; according to one's posting as ambassadors of Christ with a ministry of reconciliation to show forth His manifold wisdom to the principalities. Ephesians 3:10-11 not to mention the great cloud of witnesses. New occasions teach new duties.

Matthew 26:38
Then said Jesus to His disciples, my soul is exceedingly sorrowful, even to the point of death: abide here and watch with Me

To save lives or destroy lives. God’s response is seen in the former and satan’s response in the other.

• Winner
Reactions: Noxot
Upvote 0

Noxot

anarchist personalist
Supporter
Aug 6, 2007
dallas, texas
Visit site
✟231,339.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
yes or does God not have a kingdom? though it's hard to know how an transcendent infinite mind is like, certainly he is very capable of relating to all of us since we are his offspring. and he uses our limited capacity even if it is darkened. and he uses things in all kinds of ways for our betterment.

"love hopes all things". knowing his infinite love I can't but help to try to understand and think of God as someone who has infinite love and wisdom.

it's so hard to tell if I have faults because I think even my faults love God.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Citizen of the Kingdom

Supporter
Jan 31, 2006
Vancouver
Visit site
✟303,748.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
yes or does God not have a kingdom? though it's hard to know how an transcendent infinite mind is like, certainly he is very capable of relating to all of us since we are his offspring. and he uses our limited capacity even if it is darkened. and he uses things in all kinds of ways for our betterment.

"love hopes all things". knowing his infinite love I can't but help to try to understand and think of God as someone who has infinite love and wisdom.

it's so hard to tell if I have faults because I think even my faults love God.
Hmm, well apparently there should be a diagram that double axles on a synchronic axis = event kitty corner to diachronic axis = confessional heritage that contains as the centre the community of faith with the promises and faith responses from the ch while the world views and social structures are the events political realities :oldthumbsup:

Upvote 0

Noxot

anarchist personalist
Supporter
Aug 6, 2007
dallas, texas
Visit site
✟231,339.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Synchrony and diachrony - Wikipedia

they might serve as a kind of door that can help someone break through to the freedom of the spirit in the same manner that Jesus speaking in parables did. since those two forms are to do with understanding the bible they are some kind of symbol that represents something important about the Word.

probably something like a feminine and masculine way of translation or understanding the text. or the two might be representative of two different images of the feminine. one that is a virgin and the other that has a child.

I think Jesus said it clearly when he said something like "shall bring forth things new and old". the old being the feminine, the new being the masculine. but seeing the masculine as a purely historical progression and not actually bringing forth newness is what children do because the perfect image of the feminine is one with a child.

Upvote 0

Citizen of the Kingdom

Supporter
Jan 31, 2006
Vancouver
Visit site
✟303,748.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

they might serve as a kind of door that can help someone break through to the freedom of the spirit in the same manner that Jesus speaking in parables did. since those two forms are to do with understanding the bible they are some kind of symbol that represents something important about the Word.
A lot like typology unfolding thru-out the bible. The example given was an old testament example of the meeting of the points of interpretation, altho I see nothing gender related. A further study is needed to bring it into relational form from Judaism to Christianity. I remember it tying in to Psalms 2 also.
probably something like a feminine and masculine way of translation or understanding the text. or the two might be representative of two different images of the feminine. one that is a virgin and the other that has a child.

I think Jesus said it clearly when he said something like "shall bring forth things new and old". the old being the feminine, the new being the masculine. but seeing the masculine as a purely historical progression and not actually bringing forth newness is what children do because the perfect image of the feminine is one with a child.
:oldthumbsup:

Upvote 0

Citizen of the Kingdom

Supporter
Jan 31, 2006
Vancouver
Visit site
✟303,748.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

According to Phyllis Trible in her book 'God and the Rhetoric of Sexuality' it has much to do with gender. You were right in some aspect of that. ;p Altho it speaks pretty much into what I had written in the post quoted below of Jonah under the shade and sun. Her book mentions the same thing as referring to a rhetorical criticism that investigates the individual characteristics of a literary unit. I'd read the book before so maybe gleaned an understanding earlier that just verified my further thoughts.

When communal dimensions in the old testament are recognised and acknowledged of genuine biblical quality, the spiritual appropriation leds to the experience of Mysterium Divinum ~ God still active as creator, redeemer and sustainer ~ an active acknowledgement of progression in the bible ~ or deny divine activity in the faith of the community and deny that the communities experience has any significant bearing on the historical process.

For instance:
There's an attribute of God as to His mercy and justice that is carried thru-out the prophets and psalmists and given a different emphasis of meaning to each as it has related to their own experiences. Nahum 1:2-3 in vindication; repentant community Joel 2:13 ...
In fact Jonah used it in a prayer motivated by anger to accuse God! Jonah 4:2

Others used it for hymns such as Psalms 111:4, Psalms 112:4, Psalms 145:8 or a song of thanksgiving Psalms 103:8 and as an individual lament in Psalms 85:5 Psalms 86:15. The same attribute used in prayer Numbers 14:18; Jeremiah 32:18 and in supplication Nehemiah 1:5 and used to sustain even the guilty Nehemiah 9:27-28, 31.
All of which shows forth God’s care for each individual that comes to Him as well as for His inclusive care of His Family.
Exodus 34:6-7; Deuteronomy 5:9-10; Exodus 20:5-6; Deuteronomy 5:3; Deuteronomy 7:9-10

In all it shows a balanced picture that entails scripture itself revealing multiple levels of interpretation of itself that involves a process of understanding.

But I especially love how God Himself drew the picture of His own hermeneutics of Mercy and Justice, offering the interpretative clue within the text, in the form of shelter, shade and wind to bring it into present context. (re: Jonah 4:5-11) In this can be seen (individually) how His ways are so much higher than our own while also (nationally) how the Jews were shaded by the law but tribulation came from the wind of change to those who didn't accept Gentile/Jewish/bond/free/etc inclusiveness of the new covenant as seen in the destruction of temple, sacrifices and priesthood (the book of Hebrews). Jonah would rather have died than see Nineveh saved.

The old covenant only had the shadow of good things to come, protecting them in the land of promise from temporal evil, but emptied out and faded away in captive dispersion. Jonah only enjoyed the shade for one day before the caterpillar came and ate it gone. Then came the heat of the east wind. Jonah’s values were backwards. He cared more for the plant life than he did for the higher forms of life of animals and human beings. He was being fleshly and not of soul or spirit. Thankfully God is nothing like that and cares about all of our life and salvation. So in the final analysis, like Jonah it doesn’t necessarily follow that the church of God can build it’s own little shelter to watch the walls of our own little Nineveh tumble down.

Elijah also had extreme despondency but his was in zeal for the glory of God, Isaiah 33:16 while Jonah mourned the loss of his own glory. Philippians 2:21

God provided both the whale and the worm just as He provides for both the huge and little things in our lives. Our own shelters, built with human hands, do nothing against God's other provisions of wind and scorching sun. Raining fire upon Nineveh isn't always a part of His plan no matter how much we think it should be. Jonah 1:12, Jonah 4:3, Jonah 4:8 Jonah lost the vine for protection but he still had God. And from that picture we can see God and humankind reasoning together to come to the fuller understanding. Ephesians 4:13-14

Once again, in the final analysis, conformity to His Divine Will, by continuing or ceasing from a work, as the Lord’s servant, is compared to the vanity of doing things with His blessing or in vain without His blessing. We can’t all make the sun stand still. Instead we look to the Captain of Salvation and realize (the reality of) where our post did began and on what He says it ends; according to one's posting as ambassadors of Christ with a ministry of reconciliation to show forth His manifold wisdom to the principalities. Ephesians 3:10-11 not to mention the great cloud of witnesses. New occasions teach new duties.

Matthew 26:38
Then said Jesus to His disciples, my soul is exceedingly sorrowful, even to the point of death: abide here and watch with Me

To save lives or destroy lives. God’s response is seen in the former and satan’s response in the other.

Reactions: Noxot
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Citizen of the Kingdom

Supporter
Jan 31, 2006
Vancouver
Visit site
✟303,748.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
From Transcendence (religion) - Wikipedia

the topic of transcendency.

In religion, transcendence refers to the aspect of a god's nature and power which is wholly independent of the material universe, beyond all known physical laws. This is contrasted with immanence, where a god is said to be fully present in the physical world and thus accessible to creatures in various ways. In religious experience transcendence is a state of being that has overcome the limitations of physical existence and by some definitions has also become independent of it. This is typically manifested in prayer, séance, meditation, psychedelics and paranormal "visions".

It is affirmed in various religious traditions' concept of the divine, which contrasts with the notion of a god (or, the Absolute) that exists exclusively in the physical order (immanentism), or indistinguishable from it (pantheism). Transcendence can be attributed to the divine not only in its being, but also in its knowledge. Thus, a god may transcend both the universe and knowledge (is beyond the grasp of the human mind).

Although transcendence is defined as the opposite of immanence, the two are not necessarily mutually exclusive. Some theologians and metaphysicians of various religious traditions affirm that a god is both within and beyond the universe (panentheism); in it, but not of it; simultaneously pervading it and surpassing it.

I have a thread in house churches that began in 2010 where I spoke of the difference between Sophia and Phronises Wisdom. It’s inclusive to this topic also. (A work in process)

Into and beyond all heavens Heb 4:14, 12:22

Upvote 0