East Ohio
✟7,957.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Among the Christian community, no game has created more negative response and borderline panic at the mere mention of its name than Dungeons and Dragons. Lumped together with Anton LaVey’s Satanic Bible, Heavy Metal music, and violent slasher films, D&D has been accused of converting players to Witchcraft, Satanism and suicide. Images of dragons, devils and monsters adorn the covers causing Christians to forgo the age old saying, never judge a book by its cover.

Before we begin, I’d like to share a little about me. I am 39 years old, a Christian, and have been an avid fan of Role-Playing games for over 23 years. I was born and raised Catholic, and converted to a more Protestant, Non-Denominational faith around 14-15 years old. I am married, no children, and attend church regularly.

In both the Catholic Church as well as the Non-Denominational churches, I was amazed at the level of faith parishioners display. Not in our Lord Jesus Christ, but in the sermons and speeches from priests, pastors, travelling ministers and youth leaders. When speaking on the evils of the world, including music videos, fashion, and various pop-cultures, their word was unquestioned. No research or statement was ever investigated, argued or counterpointed. It seemed much of the testimony was taken at face value.

With my formidable youth spent in the 80’s, I was exposed to the “satanic panic” of its day. So prevalent was this panic that various Christian leaders couldn’t even agree on what was safe for Christian youths to be exposed to. For example, Christian Rock was praised as a spiritually healthy alternative to its secular counterpart. Others felt that the very nature of rock n roll, even its harmonies and tempos, were inherently demonic. The Catholic Church tried to offset Halloween with All Saint’s Day while other Christian faiths flat out refuse any celebration on Hollow’s Eve. With so many mixed messages, and lack of seeking personal knowledge of the subject matter, what was one to believe? When it came to D&D, I was confronted with story after story about the evils of this game. More akin to urban legends, my youth group peers and Pastors told tales of young men and women who sold their souls to the devil. There were stories about those who accepted our Lord as their personal savior, and flinging their game books into the fire, only to hear unearthly screams of torment. Ministers warned parents that the game required players to cast spells, summon demons, and carry a spell book. There were stories of those who used D&D to trap players into Satanism, and forcing them into bizarre acts of sexual perversion and human sacrifice. Was this all true? Was there a hidden satanic conspiracy right under our nose? Could our next door neighbors be Satanists? Many of these stories were hearsay. Some were actual testimony from former “victims” of Satanists. In their testimonies however, they also mention that they’ve experimented with drugs and alcohol. Yet this part of their testimony goes largely unaddressed. Nor does anyone question mental illness, such as schizophrenia or bi-polar disease. When they refer to human sacrifice, they produce no evidence of missing children, court documents or arrest records.

So I set out for myself to uncover the truth. I wanted to know who was playing these games, what was involved, and see for myself if the rumors were true. At this point, I already began playing other Role-Playing games, or RPGs, such as Marvel Superheroes and Battletech. The people I met at various gaming tables and college also played D&D. They seemed normal enough, so I sat in for a few games.

Before I go any further into my experiences, I’d like to back up for a minute and shed some detail on D&D, its history, and what inspired role-playing games. Where did they come from? How did they evolve? There are many RPGs on the market today. Even the out-of-print games can be found on the internet. But D&D is unmistakably the first. Published in 1974 by Tactical Studies Rules, Inc. (TSR), and designed by Gary Gygax and David Arneson. The game was inspired from miniature wargames. Where D&D differs is they replaced the idea of a military formation to assigning each player a specific character to play. This of course had peaked the interest of game enthusiasts who have yearned for a more strategic, versatile game than the traditional games like Monopoly. In many ways, D&D was a progression of the classic board game experience. Both games use dice and playing pieces. Both games encourage players to amass influence and wealth. But for Monopoly players looking for strategic game play, little was found in games of this type. Consider the playing pieces of Monopoly, a shoe, a race car, an iron, or an airplane. These pieces represented you, but other than their shape, they offered no tactical advantage. In Dungeons & Dragons, your character mattered. Each character had specific advantages and disadvantages. Players no longer competed against each other, but cooperated in order to beat the challenges presented by the Dungeon Master. Like “the banker” in Monopoly, it is the Dungeon Master, or DM, who oversees the rules, maps out the playing area, and distributes awards. While the banker also gets the dual role of fellow player, the DM must remain as the impartial referee. Like Monopoly, players are encouraged to amass wealth and influence. The difference lies in the next game of Monopoly, players start from scratch. In D&D, players can revisit their previous character. Money allows them to purchase better weapons, armor and equipment. Experience Points, XP, is awarded to each player to bank on their character. Upon reaching a pre-determined amount of XP, characters “level up.” This gives players the opportunity to increase the characters attributes, skills and abilities. This will allow them to face even greater challenges.

As time went on other RPGs came out on the market. Games offered more depth of character, classes and an overall more enjoyable experience. It became less of a quasi-boardgame and more like interactive storytelling. But at its core they still involve the stand bys of gaining XP, amassing influence and increasing skills and abilities. D&D itself has gone under many revisions and even different publishers, such as the company Wizards of the Coast.
So now I begin attending gaming sessions involving D&D. Naturally, I am a bit apprehensive having been fed all these true stories about the game and stereotyping the kind of people who play them. In my 23 years of gaming, playing in my home and the homes of others, having played at college campuses, various gaming conventions, and even a corner booth late night at Denny’s, I have never encountered any of these truths. I never saw goblets of wine, black candles, pagan medallions or players adorned in black cloaks at any table (except once at a table other than our own at Denny’s. But if you go to Denny’s late at night, you never know what you’re going to see). I would now like to address a few of the more popular myths about D&D, and give you, the reader, a first hand, informed answer to these myths.

Myth: Dungeons & Dragons is morally inept. It encourages wanton killing by rewarding players with treasure and power.

Fact: Not true. An important part of each character is determining his or her alignment. This comes in three categories; Good, Neutral, Evil. Good is, of course, good. Characters of good alignment behave in ways that are considered fair, just and honorable. They don’t rape, pillage or plunder. They have an ethical code that they adhere to. Those of neutral alignment still have an ethical code, but aren’t afraid to bend the rules. Like Robin Hood, they may steal, but the ends justify the means. They still don’t outright break the law, nor do they engage in the more immoral acts. Think of on screen characters like Han Solo or Indiana Jones. Good people, if somewhat roguish. Those of evil alignment are, well, evil. They are morally deficient, selfish, and have no respect for life. The default stance in playing D&D is that players play characters of good or neutral alignment. Even the published adventures assume the players are of those alignments as the stories and challenges contained within are for player characters, PCs, to fight evil. It is possible to play evil characters, if the DM allows it. However, experienced DMs simply don’t allow it. They say it’s too unbalancing, and games quickly devolve into childish playing. Not fair to a DM who spent hours designing the story and maps for players to just run amuck and apply no strategy to it. Evil alignment is a necessary component for DMs who are creating specific characters to have them challenge the players. Sure, the D&D Monster Manual has write-ups on zombies for example, but who is the zombie Master? Is it an evil sorcerer? An undead barbarian with a magical amulet? That’s for the DM to know and the players to find out.

Myth: Dungeons & Dragons would have players casting spells and performing witchcraft.

Fact: Not true. The character casts spells, the player does not. Here is a following example of magic being used at a typical gaming table.

Brandon, Susan, and Anthony are playing a wizard, fighter, and thief respectively. As they investigate an abandoned keep on their search for the kidnapped princess they learn the keep is not as abandoned as they thought. Failing his attempt to check for traps, Anthony’s character accidentally sets off a trap incapacitating him. Susan’s fighter is attacked by a troll who gets a surprise attack and knocks her unconscious. It is Brandon’s turn to go.

Bandon: “I’m going to cast a fireball at the troll.”

DM: “Ok, your DC is a 15.” (this means Difficulty Challenge rating, and Brandon needs to score a value of 15 or higher on a 20-sided die to successfully hit the troll)

Brandon picks up the die and rolls a 12. He consults his character sheet. He has a +4 to his attack, giving a total value of 16, a success.

DM: “Ok, a flaming ball fires from your wand and impacts the troll with such force it knocks him off his feet. The smoke and fire quickly consume him.”
Brandon is now free to race up to the others and attempt to heal them.

What? Where’s the chanting? Where’s Brandon reciting some incantation? Doesn’t Brandon have to apply a drop of his own blood to the character sheet every time he casts magic? Does he consult a grimoire or something? Sorry to burst your bubble, but no. The example above is the extent to which one casts magic in an RPG.

Myth: It encourages paganism by having players worship false gods and deities.

Fact: Not True. In order to both add diversity among players of similar classes, as well as creating a moral guideline for players adhering to their alignment, characters are assumed to follow the edicts of their particular faith. While some like the fighter, thief and wizard may pay lip service to such a deity, others like the Cleric and Paladin are expected to be devout followers. Again, their characters are, not the players. This is merely a game mechanic giving players a frame of reference in how to have their players behave. Some may require a character to tirelessly seek out and destroy evil without question. Another may require a character to respect nature. Another question this myth raises is can Jesus exist in D&D? The answer is yes. It is a fantasy world, and a DM is encouraged to be as creative as possible. With some effort, he can inject the One True God, and his son, into a D&D world. However, consider this; does Jesus belong in a fantasy world? God may be in all things, but a world that is not planet Earth? How would he address the many races of D&D. If Man is made in Gods image, are the Elves, Dwarves and Halflings inferior and unable to attain a state of grace? Would Jesus have enacted the same sequence of events on that world that he did in ours? Would he come from a virgin birth, became skilled in carpentry, performed miracles, have been betrayed, crucified, died for our sins and resurrect 3 days later? Such a series of events would have to take place in order to illicit the same set of values and beliefs that form Christianity here on Earth. Yet if we were to assume that Jesus does in fact hop from planet to planet reliving the same series of events, then it devalues what he did for us. We, as human beings become less significant if Jesus didn’t die for our sins and our sins only, but rather was reenacting a play he performed thousands of times. This all leads to the next myth…

Myth: This game is absent of Jesus Christ, Christian values, and detracts from his worship.

Fact: Mostly True. This leads to a fundamental argument in Christianity. Does anything that does not directly praise and acknowledge Jesus Christ a distraction from our focus, and ergo a sin? Extreme fundamentalism might suggest that merely watching an episode of Everybody Loves Raymond is sinful, for it distracts one from focusing on God for 30 minutes. Myself, I am not a fundamentalist. I do however have a set of ethics and morals I feel are in line with God’s word, I also acknowledge I am not perfect, just as I was designed to be. Therefore, I will indulge in activities and events that, while maybe not in the glorification of God, does not go against his commandments. For example, I may go to a football game and cheer my team for an hour, but I won’t do drugs or steal. With that said, I liken this argument to the timeless classic of The Wizard of Oz. It has many similarities to D&D. Both are set in a fantasy world. Both have magic and sorcery. Both have a cast of non-humans. Both have witches. Heck, Oz even goes so far as to suggest the existence of “good witches.” Nowhere in the film do they acknowledge God or Jesus. So the question remains, is this movie a gateway to Satanism? Does it promote pagan ideology? And what about Christian values? Doesn’t Dorothy ultimately learn the value of home and family? Are these not values Christians share? This is a personal question that Christians face daily. If Oz is too distracting and threatens your faith, than D&D probably isn’t for you. However, if your faith is strong enough, D&D can be enjoyed at the same level as Oz. As long as things are kept in perspective, there is no harm.

To all my Christian brothers and sisters, I hope that this essay has helped shed some light. I certainly am not looking to convert you, but whatever your opinion on D&D is, if you have read this, than I am comfortable knowing that your opinion is at least an informed one. I also acknowledge that it would be hypocritical of me to ask you to take my testimony at face value while denouncing the others. So I encourage you to look into it. Do your own research, blend your reason and your faith and arrive at a conclusion that is yours, and not merely adopting someone else’s.

Last edited by a moderator:

sorednax

Champion of the 80's
Aug 11, 2011
East Ohio
✟7,957.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
That really depends. If you play a Sorcerer, Wizard, Cleric, etc the character does use magic.

If you play a Barbarian or Fighter for example, you do not. In fact, as a DM, you can create an ongoing game in which no players are allowed the use of magic.

Still, if D&D raises too many red flags, there are plenty of RPGs on the market covering many genres, some original, some licensed (Star Trek RPG, DC Universe, etc).

Upvote 0

Faith Warrior

Jun 25, 2011
USA
✟7,601.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I also went through the 80's rage my mother burned all my D&D books. I think I turned out as a good Christian. I stuck with the game until it went to 4th edition then I switched to Pathfinder as my RPG of choice. I think there was a over reaction to it when I was a teen my I had a long talk about it with my Catholic priest. He knew my faith was strong and he said it was not a bad thing as long as it was kept just a game. I think there is always the chance with any of the RPG games for a player who has mental problems or is on drugs to go overboard with the game. All of my players go to church and know how to seperate fantasy from reality.

Upvote 0

sorednax

Champion of the 80's
Aug 11, 2011
East Ohio
✟7,957.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I think there is always the chance with any of the RPG games for a player who has mental problems or is on drugs to go overboard with the game.

Sadly, that's the problem with our culture, Christian or not. When someone finally goes off the deep end, we look for an excuse. It was rpg's, violent video games, movies, music, fashion, etc. Yet we overlook the obvious, mental problems.

Notice how these movements always start with their families and friends? It seems to me the simple answer of "your kid is nuts" fails to be acknowledged. Rather, they look to some conspiracy or trigger event that "made him do it." When tragedy hits close to home, people rationalize that someone else is responsible, not the loved one.

Upvote 0

Deano715

Mar 5, 2012
Iowa
✟8,683.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I enjoy video games, MMORPG's (massively multiplayer online role playing game) are mostly what I play. Lord Of The Rings Online and Star Trek Online two that are on my hardrive right now. I do not see them as a problem when played in moderation. In fact, I was in a Christian guild when I played World Of Warcraft. I think any problems arise when people sometimes spend too much time playing when time could and should be used for other things. They are a time sink and if the game is good it has an addictive quality. I myself have caught myself putting off important things to play at times. All things in moderation, be it D&D pen and paper, video games etc.

Upvote 0
A

Amber the Duskbringer

Do any of the characters you control, cast spells, incantations, or use sorcery?

Nice post count :p

That said, I have always toyed around with the ideas of playing DND but could never find a group willing to play. If there was a website maybe but the entire fun for me involves sitting around that board for hours leveling my foxgirl hunter. Ranger, archer but with a beast :p

Upvote 0

NeverEnder

Jun 15, 2010
New York City
✟15,202.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
Great post! I grew up in the 80's playing D&D on a regular basis.

Yes, there has been much hype about it being "evil"; That is merely one group(s) opinion.

It is a game and can be a very deep game.

I have not played in a few years but that is only due to a lack of other players being around.

Thank you for your post!

-Matthew-

Upvote 0
G

greencat

Thank you for your post!
I think the main reason for the change your mind. Make a habit of cultivate happiness, whenever you think of your own is failing, incompetence of time, will in turn thought, why should I look like this about yourself, and a good looking back, in fact I also very good, I also many advantages! When you get this after the habit.
And that's when you regret what of time, be sure to summarize the cause of regret, and then not to think, because I want to do is useless achievement, I why want are made useless?
The last to your own future do a long-term plan, then doing a future short-term plan, according to your plan step by step, patience and perseverance very important oh.
Ha ha, still have even if should have a happy life attitude, and know that life has many wrong, but you're not still living well? That is proved that you are a strong oh, come on now.

Upvote 0
U

UnamSanctam

That really depends. If you play a Sorcerer, Wizard, Cleric, etc the character does use magic.

If you play a Barbarian or Fighter for example, you do not. In fact, as a DM, you can create an ongoing game in which no players are allowed the use of magic.

Which is exactly the kinda game we're playing atm :)
I have to admit, though, that I'm not a huge fan of D&D. Too many beepin' rules for everything! I prefer World of Darkness any day.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Kelly

Dungeon Master
Mar 20, 2003
USA
Visit site
✟24,334.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I have a very similar background to the OP. Raised catholic, fell away from the church as a teen/20 something, found Christ in my 30's and now am very active in my non-denom church. I have played games such as D&D since about 1980. I got a lot of grief from my step mom about it. She would come to me with articles from Jimmy Swaggart, etc about the evils of D&D. I sat her down and showed her my books, and with the exception of a few suggestive pieces of artwork, she seemed pretty bored by all the tables and charts. I offered to play a game with her to see what it was like but she refused and felt that it was not the threat that her tele-evangelists had told her it was.

Now, I treat this hobby like how other activities and practices get mentioned in the bible where some people feel it's sinful. I don't promote or talk about it around people whom I feel it would not be right to discuss with. I am involved in child ministry and the Men's group and I don't want to jeopardize my ministry work because of someone's judgementalism. I have met a few fellow Christian gamers at church, and we can chat about it all day.

The game itself is harmless. I can see how a person with a poor self esteem or disappointing life could get too wrapped up in his or her roleplaying life. I also see a lot of gamers who are so into the hobby they let their physical health and social lives suffer. But you could say the same for armchair athletes, video gamers, you name it.

Upvote 0

Jesusdude1986

Sep 16, 2012
✟7,602.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
With regards to the original post

Hello everyone,

I am a born-again christian and am currently working on my licensing for pastor-ship. I also have for years and currently play role playing games such as Dungeons and Dragons. I am what some people would call a fundamentalist christian who refuses to even pretend to worship other gods or respect the rituals of false religions. Naturally, when I was first introduced to D&D I felt a need to know whether or not it was, in fact, sinful or not. I was already a huge Lord of the Rings fan, but I always felt a check in my spirit about the Harry Potter series. This fact struck me and I looked around and found that alot of christians agreed with me on that issue. That's what made me realize why D&D is not sinful. In Lord of the Rings the magic that the main protagonists use is actually angelic power from the creator/God of that universe, but Harry Potter is supposed to take place in our universe, which was created by God. Witchcraft is sinful because it idolizes and worships self-power or the power of ungodly spirits instead of God. Demon worship and Satanic worship is sinful because there is a real God in this universe that deserves our worship, and commands that we not worship His enemies or His creation. Because D&D takes place in a fantasy world that is different from ours, it is actually intrinsically impossible to perform witchcraft or worship Satan in it because, in that universe, our loving creator doesn't exist. However, and this is important for all of us role-players, remember that when you put the I AM into any of your role-playing games, the entire spiritual context of the game changes, and magic is witchcraft. In such games the meaning of the word "demon" and "satan" necessarily means enemies of the Lord, and, in my opinion, role-playing worship of them in the game would be disrespectful to God and, dare I say, grieve Him.

This is what I believe about the issue. I am not perfect so naturally my opinion is not perfect either. Please study the bible carefully regarding this and pray diligently for the Lord to instruct you regarding it.

God bless you and keep you, all of you my brothers and sisters in the faith,

-Jesusdude1986

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

heirmiles

Rookie
Apr 14, 2012
East coast of Vancouver Island on the West Coast o
✟12,498.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Parables and works of fiction.

By definition fiction is considered to be a fable which is itself not true. It is presented in an immersive environment which allows the flow of actions and ideas to take place in such a way that provides both entertainment and provokes thought within the reader. Even if the purpose is to only tell a good story, there is always a point of connection with which the reader can sympathize with its characters, and how these characters react within the situations presented in the story (this is inclusive of the environment, the "universe" of the story).

The Christian argument supporting works of fiction is found in the parables which Jesus taught. Many believe that the parables were not in themselves historical accounts of what actually happened in people's lives, but plausible general accounts which have a particular purpose in illustrating a particular truth.
However, none of us would consider the idea that Jesus would tell a lie, even in the expression of truth.
And so I have to ask myself, "Is fiction a valid form of communication? While it may have value as a literary device within our world, is it appropriate for Christians to use or accept a lie which is based in its foundation as being only imaginary?" Are we rejecting the truth for a lie? Are we being 'given' up to 'evil imagination'?
But then we have the "anthropological/teleological" argument for the existence of God, which in part argues that since mankind has the ability to create (art, technology, literature, really good food): This reflects the ability of the Creator who has created, and points to the reality of that Creator. In other words God has given us the ability to create (including the ability to use a day-planner) all sorts of things, including my stove and refrigerator, and/or works of literature (inclusive of role-playing).
Yet fiction begins on a simple premise. The author is basically saying, "I'm going to lie to you but I think you will enjoy it and maybe learn something from it." And the reader usually comes with a filter that says, "I know you are lying to me, yet for the present I am going to excuse that lie so I can enjoy your story, knowing that none of the story is true and not one of the characters actually exist."
Part of our nature as human beings is the psychological need to "escape", to lift ourselves outside of our mundane lives to stories of the fantastical. Our dreams when we sleep tend to have this characteristic, as part of our sleep/healing cycle (the body heals wounds quicker when we are sleeping than when we are awake). But if our dreams are fantastical should we then refuse to sleep? Should we refuse to tell stories that are not strictly historical accounts? And should we refuse to hear stories if anything within those stories are mis-representative of the exact truth?
Now some would see fiction as a way to reach out to the millions of people who read stories, with reflections and inferences to the gospel of Jesus Christ within fictional settings or environments with the idea that "the darker the world, the brighter the light" is an important motif of preparation for the gospel. We all know that puppets can't receive Christ, so how can fictional characters receive Him?
So we then approach the issue of "positive" or "wholesome" fiction; the stories that "teach" godly Christian values. Are we going to reject these stories knowing that the story itself is a form of falsehood, even though those who read may grow in their faith in reading them.
If one argues that any work of fiction is too dark, too close to the darkness, too much like what is happening in actual 'spiritual reality' is it because the person has accepted cart-blanche that 'the devil and his minions are everywhere, they're even in your soup!' Has the person then also exchanged the truth of God for a lie in thinking, "allowing" in a fictional manner, that the devil has control of (or influence over) the Christian mind, and in so doing has created a false superstition rather than knowing that God has complete control of what fallen angels are able to do.
That being said, I thank you for your concern Jesusdude1986. And I have had time to reflect on your concerns. I have to be honest that I have seen HP roleplaying as an opportunity to think and reflect outside of the "limits of my own universe", I enjoyed it, and have in no way thought in anyway that it was actually real. My desire in so doing was to move the main character (through the package his mother had given him: a Bible) to a place where he would truly stand out in his believing what it teaches. Yet, I recognize that imaginary 'magic' and its critics can lead people to think that there may be weight in the ideas (prevalent in too many Christian circles) of Christian flavoured superstition (false conceptions regarding angels, fallen or otherwise, etc.). I also recognize that there were times in the Bible when there was excessive fallen angel activity, and warning of its resurgence, and that even "benign" forms such as 'wikken' practices are gaining prevalence (earth-worship etc), and primarily that as a Christian any association with actual witchcraft thought and practice is not appropriate (I could use much stronger words), and that any false god is in no way God at all, that since any fictional work is built on a lie, and that God's truth is what truly sets us free, that I feel compelled to discontinue any more contributions to the Harry Potter RPG.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

sparxwarrior

Aug 13, 2009
Texas
✟7,618.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
So I have a question, I am a Sixteen year old male I have been raised a Christian my whole life been to several Bible studies I have probably been through the Bible 3 times already I am well grounded in my faith but my Mom is spiritually sensitive to things like this. I know there are many ways to take demons and spells out of the mixture for instance a wizard becomes an alchemist and uses rare plants to burn things or heal people, I can think of multiple ways to take these things away without messing to much with the system of the game, but how can I get my mom to see that it's not that bad, sometimes she has me do research and if i can show them key points where other people say its not a bad influence then I can do/play/get it but before I go through and pop the question do y'all think I could play it (keep in mind i am not one of those annoying teenagers who says but people on a forum so i could so it must be true, her no is a no yes is a yes and she wont even know that i asked any of you, i just want to know from your experience with the game is it safe?

Upvote 0

Jesusdude1986

Sep 16, 2012
✟7,602.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
In response to your concerns

I am currently studying to be a pastor with The Assemblies of God, and am a leader in a VA church youth grp. I am also leading two roleplaying games a week, one of which I am writing as an allegory for The Book Of Acts. It is wise of your mother to be sensitive in spiritual matters. I'm glad that you are honoring her wishes. That being said, I should answer your question.
The stigma surrounding D&D and other roleplaying games has some of its origin in 1982-1983 when two thriller movies came out. "Skullduggery" and "Mazes and Monsters". These movies used roleplaying games as their theme, but misrepresented the game in order to shock the audience and, therefore, sell more tickets. Many people took this and hearsay about teenagers going insane because of the game as fact. All of this was never backed up with fact and is not true.
The truth is that these games are not inherently bad or dangerous. They are a way of telling a story together with your friends.
As to the wizards and magic and the like; D&D does not take place in our universe. It can take place in a variety of fantasy(not real) universes that we make up. Wizards are bad in our universe because sorcery is a defiant lust after personal power instead of seeking after God. In a fantasy world this is not the case because there is no almighty God to defy. Of course You must be careful who you play with. Pay close attention to The Lord and to your convictions, and keep listening to your mother. She seems to be involved in your life, which is a wonderful thing. I can't post my email here so if you have more questions just post again.
Blessings,
Doug

Upvote 0

sparxwarrior

Aug 13, 2009
Texas
✟7,618.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Thanks for the info! I myself have felt the calling into the ministry as a pastor and I appreciate you answering my question, I'm definitely going to be doing a lot more research and such into this subject as it is something that interests me greatly and if I have anymore questions I will come back and ask!
Many thanks!
Robert

Upvote 0

GeekWriter

Nov 8, 2012
Atlanta
Visit site
✟7,734.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
I have no problem spiritually with D&D. I'm just not a huge fan of fantasy, and I get real tired of quest dungeon themes, so I don't play it hardly at all. I roleplay everything from Shadowrun to Paranoia.

However, there are a lot of alternatives to D&D if you feel uncomfortable with fantasy, and where you can play out Christian themes.

For example, the Serenity RPG could make for some really interesting interactions between individuals with faith, since there is a strong Christian in the Firefly series. I personally GM Victoriana, and I think steampunk Victorian could lend itself well to players who want to deal with issues of faith.

Upvote 0