USA
✟151,182.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Hello! I'd like to share my latest fanfiction story with you.
"Duel in the Desert" is an episode of my Metroid fanfiction series ("Metroid: Mission Alpha").
"CM" is short for "Communication Machine" and "HQ", of course, is short for "Headquarters". I do not own Samus or any of her equipment, but I did make everything else here.

~

After encountering a mysterious creature outside HQ, Samus and Alpha were on their way to their latest mission, on the planet Mysteke. They could only imagine what discoveries awaited them there.

Guided by the CM’s map, Samus piloted the Gunship to a planet that was mostly surrounded in a fog. “That’s Mysteke,” Michael’s voice came from the CM, “Strangely, most of its atmosphere is covered by a barrier that prevents outsiders from entering. You’ll have to land in the Central region.”

“Preparing to land,” Samus said. As she lowered her ship toward the area without fog, Alpha gazed out the window at the destination. Soon the Gunship landed in the Central region, which the two adventurers could see had a peculiar appearance. The entire environment featured faintly glowing lines on dark backgrounds, as if it were in cyberspace.

Samus and Alpha walked out of the ship and onto Mysteke’s surface, looking around in wonder at the interesting surroundings. Then, they saw the same floating creature from before and stopped. “I’m so glad you came!” the childlike voice Samus had heard outside HQ sounded, “The danger is in the Desert region right now. You can get there using the teleporter.” The creature pointed to a simple cylinder-shaped machine behind it and then vanished. Carefully, Samus and Alpha entered the machine.

A moment later, the two of them saw miles of sand beneath a cloudless sky. The sun beat down on the hot environment. “What just happened? Your location suddenly changed!” Michael’s voice sounded surprised.

“We were teleported by a machine in the Central region,” Samus replied.

“Quite interesting. My sensors indicate that you’re now in the Desert region, where the weather is usually hot and dry. There’s just one thing…I see no life form readings near you besides your own, so I’m not sure what is causing the distress.”

“Whatever it may be, we’ll have to search for it.” Samus looked ahead at the rather plain landscape before moving on with Alpha.

“Oh, one more thing,” Michael said, “In the Central region there’s a supercomputer called M-0 that guards and maintains all machinery on Mysteke. It sends out a connected robot called M-01 to protect the planet’s life against danger. You may encounter M-01 on your journey.”

Just as Michael finished saying this, Samus and Alpha heard a swooping sound and looked up. “Alpha, look out!” Samus shouted. Alpha let out a yelp and jumped back just before a flying blur swept the spot where he had been standing. Samus pointed her arm cannon at the blur as it landed, revealing that it was a tall, silver, humanoid robot bearing a slight resemblance to the Power Suit. “What do you think you’re doing?!” she exclaimed, “You could have hurt someone!”

The robot only pointed its arm cannon at Alpha and her. “I am M-01. My objective is to destroy all life in my path. Prepare to be crushed.”

“What?! M-01 is supposed to protect, not destroy!” Samus leapt aside to avoid a laser beam fired in her direction. Something was up, but she knew that now there was no choice but to fight. She sent a few Missiles at M-01, but it was able to avoid them by moving out of their paths. It fired more beams, which Samus and Alpha dodged.

“Electricity might work against it,” Samus observed, “Alpha, try using your Thunder ability.” Alpha did as he was told and activated his Thunder ability. Glowing yellow, he charged at the robot, but it struck him with one arm, sending him backward. He recovered quickly and tried to shock it, but missed. Samus, at that moment, let out her Grappling Beam. It hit M-01, immobilizing it. Then the bounty hunter released a Super Missile, striking the machine and causing it to fall.

Smoke came from both Samus’s arm cannon and M-01 as she viewed the fallen robot. “Foolish machine,” she said with a serious tone, “The greatest weapons are made not to destroy without reason or harm others for one’s own enjoyment, but to defend oneself and protect the innocent!” M-01 lay on the sand for a moment longer and then swiftly flew away. Samus shot a Wave Beam at it, but missed. Lowering her arm cannon, she looked up at the sky. “We’ll have to search for it,” she said.

Samus and Alpha trekked across the desert in search of M-01. After a while, Samus noticed that Alpha was falling behind. She looked back and saw that he was hanging his head and panting. Kneeling beside him, Samus realized that while her Power Suit protected her from the heat, Alpha was not so lucky; his fur coat couldn’t be helping. “It’s the heat, isn’t it? I bet you’re thirsty too,” she said to him. The Snacanid barked weakly. “Well, I don’t want you to get heatstroke or dehydrated,” the bounty hunter took her friend in her arms, “I hope there’s a source of water somewhere around here.”

The glowing creature reappeared. Its voice was heard again, despite its mouth not moving. “There’s an oasis up ahead where you can get some clean water and shade. I’ll lead you there.” So Samus, carrying Alpha, followed the creature to the oasis, which was a beautiful place featuring a small body of water and several trees. The water rippled slightly and reflected the sunlight, and the tree’s leaves swayed gently in the wind.

Samus and Alpha found the oasis a welcoming sight. Samus set Alpha down by the water, and he eagerly began to drink it. She removed her helmet, feeling the warm breeze against her face as it blew her long blonde hair gently. She took a drink of the water as well, and when both of them were satisfied, they sat in the shade of the largest tree. Alpha seemed to be feeling much better, so after a few minutes Samus put her helmet back on and stood up. Looking back at her ally, she told him, “Stay here and rest. I’ll go on to search for M-01.” Though a little reluctant, he obeyed and watched her walk away.

Samus moved on alone for only a short time before hearing a sound. She saw a blur soar above and then land in front of her as a familiar robot. “There you are!” she said, “Didn’t you hear what I said about the greatest weapons?” M-01 ignored her and fired a laser, which she evaded with a backflip. “I guess not,” Samus fired some shots from her arm cannon, but M-01 launched itself into the air right then.

Samus ran around to avoid the lasers raining down on her from the flying robot above, while charging up a Charge Beam. When she released the powered-up Charge Beam, M-01 dodged, but the small distraction allowed her normal shots to strike the robot, sending it back to the ground. Samus jumped at M-01 using a Screw Attack, but she missed it by inches due to its watchful movements. As she landed, it managed to strike her with a laser.

Samus fell back slightly and checked her suit’s reserves. Fortunately, the attack had not lowered its energy by much. So she used the Wide Beam in a circle to make it more difficult to avoid. M-01 used some more lasers and both combatants continued. However, when the beams collided they destroyed one another, so there was no progress. Seeing this, Samus jumped up and used another Charge Beam, which blasted through all the lasers and into M-01. Samus landed and watched as the robot fell over and sparked slightly, but then flew off at a blinding speed. After looking up at where it had gone for a minute, she turned and headed back to the oasis.

When Samus arrived at the oasis, she found Alpha resting in the shade. Upon seeing her return, he ran over to her, clearly feeling energetic again. “Good to see you too,” she petted his head, “I fought with M-01, but it escaped. We need to find out where it went.”

Suddenly the mysterious creature appeared with a worried expression. “It’s gone to the Rainfall region and is up to something terrible!” it cried out, “Please, follow me.” It quickly led Samus and Alpha to another teleporter. As they went inside it to return to the Central region, Samus and Alpha could tell from the creature’s sense of urgency that they were greatly needed. What would await them in the Rainfall region?

~

This is episode 27 of the series. All of the episodes done so far are on my Fanfiction, but since links can't be posted here, let me know if you're interested in reading them. Thanks for looking!

ODeNZ5D.png