Dublin Riots

PatrickM

What? You're not a Fightin' Irish fan????
Jan 8, 2004
Utah now!
✟9,870.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Rossi said:
Also who can tell me what the coulors in the Republic of Irelands flag stand for.Its very interesting.
I agree, in theory the Republic is supposed to be a mix of Republicans (green) and Unionists (orange) held together by peace (white). But that hasn't worked since 1921!

The white seems to be a chasm not to be closed by, well, honestly, the Unionists (reference an earlier post by one . . .)

Won't mention any names, just initials, Paul_N . . . oops!

Upvote 0

PatrickM

Jan 8, 2004
Utah now!
✟9,870.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Rossi said:
look lets be honest.If republicans from the south wanted to march in a mainly Protestant area then they would be told in no certain circumstances would they be allowed to march.

Exactly. Not only that, if they were to get approval, good luck gettin' out unscathed.

The Dublin riots were a propagandist victory for Unionists.Incidently the march has been rescheduled.

Very astute observation, there Rossi! Since it has been denounced by all legit Republican groups, gee wonder who really benefitted by all the press??

bytheway said:
Actually there were many protestants killed in the South. Example, Protestant farmers and their families in Cork were set on fire and they burned to death.

And those places were the orange men march used to be mainly protestant places, until the protestants were kicked out

If we're going to go into ancient history, you've got no legs to stand on! Does the word Planters ring a bell?

Upvote 0

Catrione

Oct 21, 2004
Belfast
✟8,370.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
there were alot of things planned for the parade that I know alot of my friends found very antagonistic. The fact that an orange pipe band was going to be marching with them was one...and that its very close to the 90th aniversary of the Easter Rising
I'm not saying that I support the violence but that I can see why it happened.

And those places were the orange men march used to be mainly protestant places, until the protestants were kicked out.
Bytheway

There are also areas that used to be catholic areas that the catholics have been 'kicked out' of. Protestants are not the only victims of that

Upvote 0

zaire

Oct 5, 2004
✟2,403.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Ah who cares.
There will be a united Ireland under Jesus soon. The youth are rising. We are going to get all the antichrists out and proclaim the land as a Jesus freaking place. We will bring protestants and catholics together and we will stand united for Jesus. And the whole world will take note of the miracle. God is going to do something amazing here.

Reactions: ScottishJohn
Upvote 0

PatrickM

Jan 8, 2004
Utah now!
✟9,870.00
Faith
Non-Denom
bytheway said:
Ah who cares.
There will be a united Ireland under Jesus soon. The youth are rising. We are going to get all the antichrists out and proclaim the land as a Jesus freaking place. We will bring protestants and catholics together and we will stand united for Jesus. And the whole world will take note of the miracle. God is going to do something amazing here.

Ah, now why did you have to go and do that? Be conciliatory and friendly, and all! :thumbsup:

I've recently heard about a CD called "Revival in Belfast". It's a great worship CD (even tho they're Protestants - jest jestin'!), with songs unique to Belfast, etc. Has anyone heard it?

By the way, Bytheway, this was very mature response for one so . . . less in years than I.

Upvote 0

Rossi

And I Still Havent Found What Im Looking For
Sep 17, 2004
Hong Kong
Visit site
✟17,233.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
PatrickM said:
I agree, in theory the Republic is supposed to be a mix of Republicans (green) and Unionists (orange) held together by peace (white). But that hasn't worked since 1921!

The white seems to be a chasm not to be closed by, well, honestly, the Unionists (reference an earlier post by one . . .)

I found it very annoying to see people raising the flag along with their middle finger in the air.They have no idea what it means.

Upvote 0

Rossi

Sep 17, 2004
Hong Kong
Visit site
✟17,233.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
bytheway said:
Ah who cares.

AMEN!!!!!

Upvote 0

Paul_Norn_Iron

Jul 13, 2005
✟8,135.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
bytheway said:
Ah who cares.

Well good luck with that.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ScottishJohn

Contributor
Feb 3, 2005
Glasgow
✟16,690.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Paul_Norn_Iron said:
Well good luck with that. I for one will not be part of that, neither will Dr Ian and his army for that matter. So you'll not be doing any such thing.

ULSTER SAYS NOOOOOOO!!!

But they don't know what the question is.

Dr Ian is old and sick and will be going to meet his maker before too long, that will be an interesting interview indeed.

Paul_Norn_Iron said:
"Do not think that I have come to bring peace on earth. I have not come to bring peace but a sword."

"For I have come to set a man against his father, and a daughter against her mother, and a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law. And man's foes will be those of his own household."

This (Matthew 10) refers to families and friends falling out over Christ, not to the kind of mindless war over land and power you and your beloved fake doctor would like, not to the division factions hatred and envy that mr Paisley has made it his mission to spew all his lie - this would have been clear had the rest of the passage been quoted, but those who like to use scripture to suit their own purposes have to quote out of context to do so.

THE REST OF THE PASSAGE (2 John 1) said:
7For many deceivers are entered into the world, who confess not that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh. This is a deceiver and an antichrist.

8Look to yourselves, that we lose not those things which we have wrought, but that we receive a full reward.

9Whosoever transgresseth, and abideth not in the doctrine of Christ, hath not God. He that abideth in the doctrine of Christ, he hath both the Father and the Son.
Paul_Norn_Iron said:
"If there come any unto you and bring not this doctrine, receive him not into your house, neither bid him God-speed."
and the end as well said:
11For he that biddeth him God speed is partaker of his evil deeds.

Paul_Norn_Iron said:
"Call no man your father on earth, for you have one Father, who is in heaven"

That applies to mr Paisley as much as to anyone else. Place your hope and trust in Christ, not some pathetic old warmonger.

Paul_Norn_Iron said:
"Watch out that no one deceives you. For many will come in my name, claiming, 'I am the Christ, ' and will deceive many. You will hear of wars and rumors of wars, but see to it that you are not alarmed. Such things must happen, but the end is still to come. Nation will rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom. There will be famines and earthquakes in various places. All these are the beginning of birth pains. "Then you will be handed over to be persecuted and put to death, and you will be hated by all nations because of me. At that time many will turn away from the faith and will betray and hate each other, and many false prophets will appear and deceive many people. Because of the increase of wickedness, the love of most will grow cold, but he who stands firm to the end will be saved. And this gospel of the kingdom will be preached in the whole world as a testimony to all nations, and then the end will come."

Where does this say that you have to actively participate int he increase of wickedness as mr Paisley and his followers undoubtedly do?

Here is a relevant scripture for you:

Galatians 10 said:
19The acts of the sinful nature are obvious: sexual immorality, impurity and debauchery; 20idolatry and witchcraft; hatred, discord, jealousy, fits of rage, selfish ambition, dissensions, factions 21and envy; drunkenness, orgies, and the like. I warn you, as I did before, that those who live like this will not inherit the kingdom of God.

22But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law. 24Those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the sinful nature with its passions and desires. 25Since we live by the Spirit, let us keep in step with the Spirit. 26Let us not become conceited, provoking and envying each other.

Only those who repent from their sinful natures will inherit the Kingdom of Heaven.

Paul_Norn_Iron said:
At the point the police are loading their guns to shoot me as I'm aware quoting scripture is forbidden. But your scenario of everything being rosy in the garden is of the mark, in my humble opinion.

God can achieve great things amongst his followers. Revival has happened before and will happen again. By the Way has made a wonderful and hopeful statement of faith, which I applaud. You have also revealed what you aspire to.

Upvote 0

Maxwell511

Contributor
Jun 12, 2005
Utah County
✟16,130.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
bytheway said:
There used to be 10% of the ROI population protestant. There is now less than 2%. What do you think happened to them?

Why shouldnt people be able to march to remember those killed?

I hope you are not suggesting that the reduction in the number of protestants was caused by them being killed.

Also where do you get your figures from?

I'm not sure about the 10% but the 2% is wrong (well was wrong in 2002). Protestant denominations make up 4% of the ROI population. 88.4% are Roman Catholic and 0.5% are Christians that didn't specify a denomination and about O.3% are Orthodox.

Edit: I got the numbers from the CSO

Upvote 0

Rossi

Sep 17, 2004
Hong Kong
Visit site
✟17,233.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
ScottishJohn said:
ULSTER SAYS NOOOOOOO!!!

But they don't know what the question is.

Dr Ian is old and sick and will be going to meet his maker before too long, that will be an interesting interview indeed.

This (Matthew 10) refers to families and friends falling out over Christ, not to the kind of mindless war over land and power you and your beloved fake doctor would like, not to the division factions hatred and envy that mr Paisley has made it his mission to spew all his lie - this would have been clear had the rest of the passage been quoted, but those who like to use scripture to suit their own purposes have to quote out of context to do so.

That applies to mr Paisley as much as to anyone else. Place your hope and trust in Christ, not some pathetic old warmonger.

Where does this say that you have to actively participate int he increase of wickedness as mr Paisley and his followers undoubtedly do?

Here is a relevant scripture for you:

Only those who repent from their sinful natures will inherit the Kingdom of Heaven.

God can achieve great things amongst his followers. Revival has happened before and will happen again. By the Way has made a wonderful and hopeful statement of faith, which I applaud. You have also revealed what you aspire to.

Scottish John its great to finally have people on this site who know what they are talking about.:thumbsup:

To Paul N,seems that you are so good at quoting scripture could you tell me what Jesus said about your enemy,and in particular what emotion to show him?

Upvote 0

Maxwell511

Contributor
Jun 12, 2005
Utah County
✟16,130.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
cling2thelamb said:
I didn't realize the hostility was still so intense over there! I am planning to move from here in the States to Limerick in August and I need to know these things.

I wouldn't be worrying too much if I were you. You'll understand the situation when you get here. The hostility isn't as bad as the riots would make you believe. Actually on a day to day basis it is pretty much non-existant.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

hartlandcat

Unitarian
Jun 3, 2004
England
Visit site
✟15,414.00
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
What I can never understand about the whole Northern Ireland conflict is this:

Can't both sides see that their lives would be so much better for all of them if they would just forget about it?

I must admit that I have no sympathy or respect for anyone who desires that the conflict continue — I think they're all pathetic and need to get a grip, pull themselves together and generally grow up. But, of course, when you're part of a mob, you lose your ability to think for yourself.

The obvious problem is that they keep bringing up generations of children to hate the other side. I'm sure that Paul here would have been enthusiastically pro united Ireland had he been born to 'Catholic' parents.

My view regarding the final outcome for Northern Ireland? I honestly don't give a toss, as long as the violence and hatred ends. I'm sure that most people here in mainland Britain probably feel the same way.

Upvote 0

artjack

Jul 19, 2005
✟1,147.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
no one in ireland thinks the riot was right except perhalps the few people who organised it out of our whole population, the majority of rioters there were very young dublin louts who were more interested in robbing shops in the mayhem, I would guess they were easly lead perhalps scared of the leading thugs from their area or trying to impress them rather than knowing the politics involved which I guess they would have not learned due to their class. These poor scum would attack any people even irish & do, out of ignorance & didnt have a clue what they were at all.just enjoying violence.The fact that there were so few was positive. More should be done to help the area they come from perhalps to give them an alternitive pastimes away from idiots influences,

Upvote 0

Maxwell511

Contributor
Jun 12, 2005
Utah County
✟16,130.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
artjack said:
I would guess they were easly lead perhalps scared of the leading thugs from their area or trying to impress them rather than knowing the politics involved which I guess they would have not learned due to their class.

What do you mean by "their class"? Do you mean the people that come from council estates?

Most of the people that I meet that are ignorant of politics are children of the upper and middle classes.

Signed: A guy that doesn't know anything about politics due to his class.

Upvote 0