Not open for further replies.

gtsecc

Aspirant
Sep 3, 2004
✟9,845.00
Faith
Anglican
neffster said:
Why is drinking considered such a bad thing?
Drinking is fine.
Jesus made wine at Cana.

But, drunkeness is not fine.

BoCP 1559:
Minister. Cursed are the unmerciful, the fornicatours, and adulterers, and the couetous persones, the worshippers of ymages, slaunderers, dronkardes, and extorcioners.
Aunswere. :amen:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

PaladinValer

Traditional Orthodox Anglican
Apr 7, 2004
Myrtle Beach, SC
✟30,305.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Dude, you need to take a class in human anatomy if you don't think drinking to excess is abusive. It is a proven fact that it is.

And if you want to abuse and poison your body for some..."reason," then you have a chemical dependency and that is an even worse illness than drinking to excess.

Edit: Furthermore, this forum is in the Christian-Only section. When you joined CF, you agreed to follow the rules. I suggest you post this same topic or ask one of the moderators to move this topic to a place where you can continue it. This particular Anglican forum is for Anglicans to discuss amongst themselves or for non-Anglican Christians to fellowship with us Anglicans.

Upvote 0

pmcleanj

Lord Jesus, have mercy on me, a sinner
Mar 24, 2004
Alberta, Canada
Visit site
✟7,281.00
Faith
Anglican
neffster said:
Why is drinking considered such a bad thing?

It isn't. We're Anglicans. We drink wine in church. We serve home-made wine at the church thanksgiving supper. We offer the pastor a beer if he drops by on a hot summer evening, or a rum toddy if she drops by on a cold winter night.

neffster said:
what about those who can handle the drinking and being drunk and never hurting anyone else? How is this harmful?

The harm will vary with circumstance. But if the choices you make -- including the choice to drink, but also the choice to surf the web, eat buttered popcorn, watch TV, change jobs, buy that new cool jacket, whatever -- damage your relationship with God or with God's body the Church, then it is sin. The actions that are sinful in one circumstance may not be sinful in another. The alcoholic who takes one drink knowing full well that choice is destructive of relationships *for her* is sinning. Another person might once in a blue moon indulge in a significant buzz with no other effect than bed-spins and an unpleasant dose of morning-mouth.

This is why we practice Confession: general Confession, the sacrament of Reconciliation, and Confession during private prayers. Confession demands that we examine our conscience, and determine which of our choices have been sin. This is why it's a good idea to arrive at church fifteen minutes before the service, to spend some time on your knees doing the hard work of self-examination, so that when the general Confession comes, your dirty laundry is already laid out for God's forgiveness -- and for your repentence: to turn your back on that sin and choose it no more.

neffster said:
It isn't though necessarily abusing your body if you can do it in moderation and handle it. If it helps you make it through the day then there really should be nothing wrong with it

There's the crux of it, isn't it. We rely on many things to help us make it through the day. I rely on antacids. My junior engineer relies on her artificial leg. A friend in the far suburbs with few amenities relies on her car. Another friend relies on Ritalin. Relying on aids can be appropriate, as long as those aids increase, or at least do not reduce, the degree to which we rely on God.

Alcohol, in moderation as you say, has been shown to improve health and life expectancy. But in this context, "in moderation" means one glass of wine a day. And one doesn't end up being drunk on one glass of wine a day. Alcohol, like prescription drugs, becomes destructive when proper dosages are not maintained. It's hard to see that relying on getting drunk to make it through the day, wouldn't impairing one's relationship with God.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Cjwinnit

Advocatus Diaboli (Retired)
Jun 28, 2004
England.
✟18,928.00
Faith
Anglican
neffster said:
It isn't though necessarily abusing your body if you can do it in moderation and handle it. If it helps you make it through the day then there really should be nothing wrong with it

This is true, and moderate drinking is good for you (Red wine is medically helpful, and in one of the Epistles it's recommended) but drinking to excess leads to drunkeness, and can damage your liver. As self-abuse is a sin, drinking to excess is therefore sinful.

Upvote 0

gtsecc

Aspirant
Sep 3, 2004
✟9,845.00
Faith
Anglican
neffster said:
As I stated before, I was just hoping to better understand this entire religion thing, but you thanks to both of you, my first thought was correct. and thanks for making fun of my given name, nice of you pal

I deeply apologize if you took me as making fun of your given name. Nef is a word you can look up in the Urban Dictionary I linked in a previous post. Episcopalians tend to be more tolerant of drinking than some other denominations, hence the name Wiskeypalians. We should also be the denomination that tends to embrace the asking of questions. We seek truth, and we want people to have questions and honest discussion.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.