Downloading music

parad0xical

Dec 22, 2007
✟7,739.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I'm one of those who have turned from file sharing programs. Simply because it is illegal, and theft. No matter how corrupt the company, it is theft.
I think of it this way:
1. You are stealing from the artist (no matter what little money they make).
2. You are stealing from the label.
3. You steal from the wholesaler,
4. You (in a round about way) are also stealing from the retail stores.
Why all these people? Because you take a file straight from another person, and no money passes through to any of these parties.
That's my opinion anyway.

HOWEVER.
There are many legal places to download free music (and support small bands).
Some have suggested download.com
also, some bands offer songs on their sites (or provide links to where one can download)... so be sure to check.
purevolume.com is great. It has most alternative artists (Mainstream, and very alternative. Quite a few Christian ones too.) I have found a few good bands through that site.
Also, check out a bands Myspace profile. The band can sometimes give you the option to download songs.

Best of all, these options are legal!

I hope this helps,
Godspeed,
-th3o.

Upvote 0

tigercub

unbelievably fluffy
Site Supporter
May 8, 2006
Brisbane
Visit site
✟27,814.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
OoO It is not ILLEGAL IF U BUY KaZaA Lite. Thats what their stuff site!! [wash my mouth][wash my mouth][wash my mouth] i have that, and it's good. but u have to pay, so its like ur buying the cd, its just easier. I dont use free ones b/c that is illegal and teh artists dont get their money

Are you serious? :eek: Kazaa fools another person...^_^

Ok Kazaa is p2p filesharing application. You can either download it for free, or you can pay for it. It's still illegal to download copywrighted media with the copywright holders permission, which Kazaa does not have.

Please, don't be a sucker. If you have a moral objection to downloading music illegally, don't use Kazaa. Sop paying for it, you are only encouraging them!

You can download music perfectly legally, using iTunes, or the like.

Upvote 0

champuru

I don't know what I want to put here. Suggestions?
Jan 5, 2008
Infront of my computer
✟15,730.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
alot of people download off of limewire but not only is it illegal, but it can give your program viruses, and sometimes it downloads files that you dont want. I would suggest listening to samples on amazon to decide what you want and buy them either on cd or on itunes or something.

Upvote 0

Justterry

Feb 4, 2008
✟7,616.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
If you go to sites like Myspace, pure volume, ioda promonet, podasfe music, many of the bands there have songs that you can download legally. they do this in hopes of getting you to purchase more of their music once you find out if you like them or not. Most of these bands are Indie bands and not associated with the record companies or RIAA.

This is how I get the music for my Podcast (jtindiepodcast.blogspot.com) <--shameless plug

you can find ALOT of good music this way, you have to be willing to go out and look for it, but this is also the legal way.

and with the great side effect that you get exposed to alot of new music.

Upvote 0

ColdDonut

Nov 29, 2007
✟7,947.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
If you go to sites like Myspace, pure volume, ioda promonet, podasfe music, many of the bands there have songs that you can download legally. they do this in hopes of getting you to purchase more of their music once you find out if you like them or not. Most of these bands are Indie bands and not associated with the record companies or RIAA.

This is how I get the music for my Podcast (jtindiepodcast.blogspot.com) <--shameless plug

you can find ALOT of good music this way, you have to be willing to go out and look for it, but this is also the legal way.

and with the great side effect that you get exposed to alot of new music.
Yes that is very true

Upvote 0

dana3262

Jun 24, 2007
✟7,952.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
i D/L music but i make certain i buy the CD eventually as well.

you find a lot of music by googleing the band name followed by zip, for example: flyleaf.zip

it saves using torrents and such. some of it is standard zip packages and some is RAR so you'd need winrar to open it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

googoodoll

Feb 27, 2008
✟15,123.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I hope you are aware that it is illegal to download copyrighted music, and that the RIAA (Recording Industry Association of America) is catching people breaking these laws and is suing them.

It is very popular to download these files anyway, but be aware that even though it is private, and probibly safe, and no-one will hate you for doing it, it is still illegal, and you have to decide what you will do.
I have been listening to Jaci Valasquez – she is a British 4 time Grammy nominee who’s Christian music I just love. Woozyfly.com will be airing her live on March 5th!!!

Upvote 0

Outofthebox42

Apr 8, 2008
Ohio
Visit site
✟15,183.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
Hey hey guys, calm down. This guy is not asking to burn off CDs and sell them for thirty bucks a pop on the black market. Be careful of judging just because someone wants to download some songs, you're not perfect either.

Hun, I am an artist. Therefore I think this might mean more coming from me.

It is true that free downloading of copyrighted material [i.e. every song out there haha] is very illegal. It's also true that the music industry is going down the tubes EXTREMELY rapidly because of illegal downloading.

When you buy a CD, that money gets split up in a lot of ways. Half goes to whatever publishing company produced it. The other half goes towards production of the CD, materials, whoever performed it, and finally whoever really wrote it. It might seem like a lot of that money goes to these big business tycoons, but if you think about it, it takes that money to find new artists, to promote them, to get them started.

If an artist on myspace has their songs available for download on Myspace, that means it's okay for you to download that. If they don't, there are other ways to get that song. Oftentimes if you buy the whole CD, you'll like a lot of the other songs on there too. And you're supporting the musician themselves. Also local artists can be great too, many times their CD's aren't as much.

If you only want a specific song, it's like a buck for each song on Itunes. So you take a CD that in the store might cost 19 bucks for 11 songs, you could get 19 songs for that price, of music you actually want to listen to, instead of getting some songs you may not like.

Please support the music. Keep looking up!

Upvote 0

Outofthebox42

Apr 8, 2008
Ohio
Visit site
✟15,183.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
Hey hey guys, calm down. This guy is not asking to burn off CDs and sell them for thirty bucks a pop on the black market. Be careful of judging just because someone wants to download some songs, you're not perfect either.

Hun, I am an artist. Therefore I think this might mean more coming from me.

It is true that free downloading of copyrighted material [i.e. every song out there haha] is very illegal. It's also true that the music industry is going down the tubes EXTREMELY rapidly because of illegal downloading.

When you buy a CD, that money gets split up in a lot of ways. Half goes to whatever publishing company produced it. The other half goes towards production of the CD, materials, whoever performed it, and finally whoever really wrote it. It might seem like a lot of that money goes to these big business tycoons, but if you think about it, it takes that money to find new artists, to promote them, to get them started.

If an artist on myspace has their songs available for download on Myspace, that means it's okay for you to download that. If they don't, there are other ways to get that song. Oftentimes if you buy the whole CD, you'll like a lot of the other songs on there too. And you're supporting the musician themselves. Also local artists can be great too, many times their CD's aren't as much.

If you only want a specific song, it's like a buck for each song on Itunes. So you take a CD that in the store might cost 19 bucks for 11 songs, you could get 19 songs for that price, of music you actually want to listen to, instead of getting some songs you may not like.

Please support the music. Keep looking up!

Upvote 0

tigercub

unbelievably fluffy
Site Supporter
May 8, 2006
Brisbane
Visit site
✟27,814.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
I have been listening to Jaci Valasquez – she is a British 4 time Grammy nominee who’s Christian music I just love. Woozyfly.com will be airing her live on March 5th!!!
British? Jaci Velasquez is from Houston, Texas (US) :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

AmandaT

May 3, 2005
Nashvegas, TN
✟7,858.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I haven't been to these boards in about 8 months, but I logged in and saw this thread and figured I'd comment.

As someone who is a music business major in college, I'm rather disgusted by the amount of illegal downloading going on.

I'm sorry, but you can't rationalize and moralize your actions with this one. It's illegal. It IS stealing. A song is someone's intellectual property. Taking someone's property without compensating them is stealing.

To reply to a few comments I saw while reading through this thread:

Someone rationalized their illegal downloading by saying that the artists don't get much of a cut anyway. This is very true that artists get a very small cut of the profits from album sales, but that does not justify your actions. Many people don't realize this, but when companies spend money to benefit an artist, they want their money back. The industry refers to those expenditures as "recoupables". So the money that was spent on tour support, on packaging, on manufacturing, on recording, on mixing, etc. is paid by the label up front, but it later has to be paid back by the artist. This is all in the contract that the artist signed when joining the label. Artists won't really see any profit from album sales until those recoupables are paid off. And a lot of the time that won't even happen until an album is certified gold (500,000 albums sold). So when you decide to not pay for the music you listen to, you are leaving the artist and label in debt. You are ensuring that the small cut that the artist would've gotten becomes nothing. I'm sure an artist would prefer a small amount over nothing. Their cut may be cents per album, but multiplied in the thousands, it does make a difference.

Someone also rationalized their illegal downloading by saying that prices are too high for the quality of all of the tracks. You are still stealing the tracks that you download. And there are ways of paying for the individual tracks you like without buying the entire album. And like someone mentioned earlier (I think it was 6string), your illegal downloading is the reason that album prices are so high. It's hard for companies to make the money they need to function now that illegal downloading is so popular, so they'll keep raising CD prices in order to cover their costs.

Someone else mentioned that downloading songs promotes the bands and encourages albums sales. This has been a popular myth for the last few years. Yes, there might be some individual cases where someone downloaded a song or two and then thought "Hey! This stuff is great!" and ran to FYE/WalMart/BestBuy to buy the album, but that's not what the average downloader does. The mindset of the average downloader is more like "Hey! This stuff is great! And I can get it all for free!" Usually people who download songs illegally aren't doing it to preview albums, they're doing it to avoid paying for albums altogether. If illegal downloading actually worked as a promotional device and encouraged sales, the music industry wouldn't be in the tubes like it has been for years.

Someone else mentioned that Christian artists wouldn't care about illegal downloading because their main goal is to get the gospel out there. While the Christian artist's goal usually is to simply get the gospel out there, making music is still their job. Creating songs is their job. It's not always a very profitable job, so a lot of songwriters have other jobs too, but they still should be receiving whatever payment is due to them for their work. And speaking as someone who has sold merch for and talked to Christian bands, it does bother a lot of them when they don't sell albums. I sold merch for one band about a week ago and the lead singer came up and asked me how many albums they'd sold and I told him 2 (they sold 4 by the end of the night). It was upsetting to see the look of disappointment on his face and he asked me why I thought it was that kids buy more shirts than CDs. Considering that most of the kids in the crowd hadn't sung along with a single song, it wasn't because they already owned the album, so all I could tell him was that they were probably going to download that CD. He just nodded and acted resigned to that fact. So I warn people to be careful when confusing resignation with apathy. No artists likes to have their music downloaded illegally, but most of them are aware that it's going to happen and that they can't do anything about it.

Someone asked whether downloading a song for free is illegal after the artist is dead. That's a trickier question. Copyright law dictates that copyright protection lasts for the life of the creator plus 70 years. So, if it hasn't been 70 years since the creator died, yes, it is still illegal to download their music for free. After those 70 years have expired, the song goes into the public domain and it is considered "fair use". That's why Christmas albums are so popular to make. Most of the Christmas standards are public domain, so artists don't have to worry about the mechanicals (basically payments) that are usually due to the original artist for the use of their song.

Downloading is the future of the music industry. The industry knows that. I believe that in the not so distant future that CDs will be to us what cassettes or records are to us today. (I'm personally really sad about that because I love buying and collecting CDs.) Labels and artists are realizing that there isn't profit to be made out of creating albums. You'll see more and more 5 or 6 song EPs for sale on sites like iTunes. And actually, much of the industry is turning its focus to cell phones. In 2010, there is supposedly going to be a huge boom is the cell market with phones having more and more music features. Basically I think the industry is expecting something very similar to the direction of how the iPhone is going now.

And to the young musicians who are thinking about a career in the music industry, recognize the downloading trend. You can't be for downloading and then be all excited about recording your first studio album. You can't have both. Your focus should be on singles.

And I'm sure someone will disagree with me on some or all of this, but I don't really care. I'm just sharing what I think and know.

Last edited:
Upvote 0