✟157,038.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Happy New Year to all!

Quick question. During a Catholic funeral yesterday, the son of the deceased mentioned that a dove was a Catholic symbol of peace. I always thought the dove symbolized peace in many different Christian churches, including LCMS. Is the dove a Catholic thing or am I right?

Daniel9v9

Christian Forums Staff
Chaplain
Site Supporter
Jun 5, 2016
London
Visit site
✟403,021.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Happy new year!

A dove can be a symbol of many things, and peace is certainly one of them. It has its roots in the story of Noah, which foreshadows the peace we have through our baptism into Christ.

It’s not a symbol used exclusively by the Roman Catholic; it’s used by all historical church bodies, including the LCMS. In addition to peace, it can also mean the Holy Spirit, purity, modesty, meekness, humility etc. It can also mean other things in conjunction with other elements.

Upvote 0

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟777,861.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
As Daniel said, it is a symbol used in all ancient, as well as most Christian churches in general. I think the person that classified it as a "Catholic" symbol is probably just used to using terminology that the Catholic Church is the "One True Church". They are just not thinking in terms of a wider Christian Church, many cradle Catholics are used to thinking in this manner, at least in my experience.

Upvote 0

FaithT

Dec 1, 2019
Midwest
✟157,038.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
As Daniel said, it is a symbol used in all ancient, as well as most Christian churches in general. I think the person that classified it as a "Catholic" symbol is probably just used to using terminology that the Catholic Church is the "One True Church". They are just not thinking in terms of a wider Christian Church, many cradle Catholics are used to thinking in this manner, at least in my experience.
Yeah, When I’d returned to the CC after a many years absence, I was posting on Catholic Answers Forums and bought into the One True Church line of thinking for awhile. I was totally closed minded back then.

Upvote 0