Midwest
✟157,615.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
...which was done in post #48. There are about nine different changes mentioned there.
And as I noted in my next sentence, "The only issues you seem to have identified are either liturgical ones (which I already mentioned) or the claim about throwing out deuterocanonical books, which will be addressed next."

Even in regards to the liturgical changes you mention, I am not sure how many of what you list was actually specifically suggested by Luther.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟377,931.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I'm not sure if this is relevant to post here.

Over the past three days I have experienced random doubts about "Protestantism". I use quotation marks because a lot of Baptists don't consider themsleves Protestant. I don't know what triggered it. So, I started looking at Catholic beliefs (mostly just to check for myself)... I was actually at a point of thinking Catholicism could be true. Today I feel I've moved back towards beliefs such as Sola Scriptura and being saved by Faith alone. The problem is now I feel I'm in a sort of limbo of doubt. This is all uncharacteristic for me.

Another problem is everyone is baised and I don't really know how to move forward. Any answers from those who have converted to Catholic or to Protestant would still be helpful though. Please keep in mind how serious of an issue this is.

Thanks
People who will insist that their denomination is Absolutely The Right Way know how to scare you. Don't let them scare you.

Sola Scriptura teaches that what Scripture says trumps any church teaching that would appear to contradict it. It is the first Tradition, recorded in writing.

With that out of the way, we then have a framework for understanding that the New Testament teaching of salvation by grace, through faith, not by works (Ephesians 2:8, Romans 4-5) is the correct one. Works happen, but it is the grace of God that saves us, and it comes through faith. Obedience is a necessity (Romans 6), but when God had borne us again, we were born imperishable (1 Peter 1:23).

Upvote 0

Dansiph

Supporter
Jun 26, 2018
UK
✟119,794.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
People who will insist that their denomination is Absolutely The Right Way know how to scare you. Don't let them scare you.

Sola Scriptura teaches that what Scripture says trumps any church teaching that would appear to contradict it. It is the first Tradition, recorded in writing.

With that out of the way, we then have a framework for understanding that the New Testament teaching of salvation by grace, through faith, not by works (Ephesians 2:8, Romans 4-5) is the correct one. Works happen, but it is the grace of God that saves us, and it comes through faith. Obedience is a necessity (Romans 6), but when God had borne us again, we were born imperishable (1 Peter 1:23).
Your first sentence makes sense. The attitude causes fear and doubt because you think "they seem pretty sure of themselves".

Upvote 0

Beanieboy

Senior Veteran
Jan 20, 2006
✟50,122.00
Faith
Christian

Over the past three days I have experienced random doubts about "Protestantism". I use quotation marks because a lot of Baptists don't consider themsleves Protestant. I don't know what triggered it. So, I started looking at Catholic beliefs (mostly just to check for myself)... I was actually at a point of thinking Catholicism could be true. Today I feel I've moved back towards beliefs such as Sola Scriptura and being saved by Faith alone. The problem is now I feel I'm in a sort of limbo of doubt. This is all uncharacteristic for me.

Another problem is everyone is baised and I don't really know how to move forward. Any answers from those who have converted to Catholic or to Protestant would still be helpful though. Please keep in mind how serious of an issue this is.

Thanks
When I was at Augsburg College, We were required to take a demoninations and sects class. Raised Lutheran, I never knew that Lutherans believe in predestination (because on the HS can open your heart) and we are only welcomed into God's family after baptism, two beliefs I disagree with. But in talking with Catholics, they tell me that the reason you pray to saints for intercessory is the same reason if you call the president, you get the receptionist. I have never held the belief that God is away from me, but a part of me, just as my breath, and in constant communication.

Over the years, in conversations with God, I have a much bigger understanding of who and what God is, and find it more important to state what I know is real, vs what dogma I must agree to.

But what I found the most curious comment from a believer is one who said, "I just didn't like the service. God was too real."

Upvote 0

Dansiph

Supporter
Jun 26, 2018
UK
✟119,794.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
When I was at Augsburg College, We were required to take a demoninations and sects class. Raised Lutheran, I never knew that Lutherans believe in predestination (because on the HS can open your heart) and we are only welcomed into God's family after baptism, two beliefs I disagree with. But in talking with Catholics, they tell me that the reason you pray to saints for intercessory is the same reason if you call the president, you get the receptionist. I have never held the belief that God is away from me, but a part of me, just as my breath, and in constant communication.

Over the years, in conversations with God, I have a much bigger understanding of who and what God is, and find it more important to state what I know is real, vs what dogma I must agree to.

But what I found the most curious comment from a believer is one who said, "I just didn't like the service. God was too real."
Lutherans believe in Predestination? I didn't know either.

You did make me think about the fact that no one in the OT prays to a saint or anyone other than God. The majority of Psalms is David praying directly to God. I also just realised no one in the NT explicitly says anything praising Mary. Why wouldn't Paul have directly mentioned her in the way Catholics believe?

Upvote 0

Basil the Great

Supporter
Mar 9, 2009
✟721,243.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Green
I am going to pass on the debate over which denomination is best and tell all what my grandmother told me regarding this subject. She always told me that Christians go to the same Heaven, regardless of which denomination they belong to. Quite frankly, I have known Godly Christians from a variety of faith groups and very poor Christians across denominations as well. Regardless of which faith group that we all choose, we are still bound by Jesus' command to love God and love our neighbor.

Upvote 0

Joined2krist

CF Ambassadors
Supporter
Jul 15, 2015
✟427,048.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
To be honest, as a Catholic who has no hindrances in listening to preachings by Pentecostal pastors, I find that the Catholic church seems a lot more mature. Most of what is being recently discovered and adopted into Pentecostal practices have existed for centuries in the Catholic church. This is what I have noticed and this is the reason I remain a Catholic.

Upvote 0

Joined2krist

CF Ambassadors
Supporter
Jul 15, 2015
✟427,048.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I am going to pass on the debate over which denomination is best and tell all what my grandmother told me regarding this subject. She always told me that Christians go to the same Heaven, regardless of which denomination they belong to. Quite frankly, I have known Godly Christians from a variety of faith groups and very poor Christians across denominations as well. Regardless of which faith group that we all choose, we are still bound by Jesus' command to love God and love our neighbor.

Exactly. God bless

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
To be honest, as a Catholic who has no hindrances in listening to preachings by Pentecostal pastors, I find that the Catholic church seems a lot more mature. Most of what is being recently discovered and adopted into Pentecostal practices have existed for centuries in the Catholic church. This is what I have noticed and this is the reason I remain a Catholic.
So...you prefer Catholicism to Pentecostalism. That probably puts you in the company of plenty of Protestants too.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Dansiph

Supporter
Jun 26, 2018
UK
✟119,794.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
A big concern is that the distinctions between denominations can often mean that we in fact do not all go to the same Heaven. It's such a serious issue.

Upvote 0

Basil the Great

Supporter
Mar 9, 2009
✟721,243.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Green
A big concern is that the distinctions between denominations can often mean that we in fact do not all go to the same Heaven. It's such a serious issue.
I respect your viewpoint, but I have to stick with my grandmother on this one.

Upvote 0

yellowMan

Jan 26, 2020
atlanta
✟22,735.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
OP: You hit the nail on the head. Mostly depends on what you consider to be ultimate authority. Is it bible alone? is it traditions of men (catholics) + bible?

I would suggest starting with the bible alone (which is what "protestants" do). You know you are building upon a strong base. To me it makes no sense to start with catholicism and try to cross reference every belief against the bible(like praying to Mary ugggh). although maybe that would be a good exercise for you.

For the person who said catholicism has slowly converted to luther's ways of thinking, that should be a big red flag for you.

Upvote 0

Lord Vega

King NES
Jun 13, 2020
Clearwater, FL
✟17,578.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican

Thanks

I'm a Protestant, but in my walk with Christ I've come to realize that certain teachings of the Catholic Church are true. Martin Luther taught that we shouldn't pray to spirits in heaven such as angels or saints, but Catholicism teaches that praying to people in heaven is acceptable.

One day when I was struggling I told God I wanted the help of a famous saint whose life and piety I admire very much. So I prayed to this saint, and within less than a minute he (the saint) came to my room and visited me. I couldn't see him, but I could clearly hear an audible voice. It was too vivid and real to be a hallucination. We prayed together and he helped me with my issue I was experiencing.

This experience made me realize that Martin Luther was wrong on the subject of prayers to saints or intercessory prayer.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Edstano

Jul 27, 2020
Fort Mill
✟8,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Lord Vega, you didn't pray to the saint that you think that answered your prayer, you prayed to the devil, he answered your prayer. Here read it for yourself (1Cor.11: 14) "------Satan himself masquerades as an angel of light." There are no Scriptures that indicates that we are to pray to saints or to anyone else who is dead. In fact just the opposite is true, (Duet.18:11-12) anyone who consults the dead are detestable to the Lord.

Here's why: (1Tim.2:5), "For there is one God and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus." Please note it does not say two, three or more mediators, NO, only one who is Jesus Christ. When anyone prays to Mary or to any other dead person, you are violating the above Scripture, demeaning the Lord Jesus Christ.

That's how Satan operates, always by deception and in these last days he's going try to deceive more and more people. (2Thes.2:9-10) "The coming of the lawless one will be in accordance with the work of Satan displayed in all kinds of counterfeit miracles, signs and wonders and in every sort of evil that deceives those who are perishing."

They perish because they fail to rely upon the truth of the Scriptures.

Blessings,

Upvote 0

Dansiph

Supporter
Jun 26, 2018
UK
✟119,794.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I thought I'd write here - if anyone cares - I have ordered the book Catholicism and Fundamentalism by Karl Keating. It was recommended by @chilehed on this thread. Although I felt settled again I became aware of the one-sidedness of the info I was reading, the recurring and slight doubts and also that I was putting my head in the sand on the issue.

I'm looking forward to reading the book because I currently would call myself a "fundamentalist".

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I have ordered the book Catholicism and Fundamentalism by Karl Keating. It was recommended by @chilehed on this thread. Although I felt settled again I became aware of the one-sidedness of the info I was reading...

...and what do you suppose you're going to get from Karl Keating? :doh:

Upvote 0

Dansiph

Supporter
Jun 26, 2018
UK
✟119,794.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
...and what do you suppose you're going to get from Karl Keating? :doh:
Pro-Catholic arguments? I've heard the opposite for years. Whenever I see Catholics themselves they seem more reasonable than they're presented by fundamentalist and other Protestants. Is Karl Keating controversial? I only included his name so others could see exactly which book I was mentioning.

I do admit Catholics have had a long time to come up with "reasons" for their beliefs. But they do always have an answer of some sort.

Upvote 0

Dansiph

Supporter
Jun 26, 2018
UK
✟119,794.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Pro-Catholic arguments? I've heard the opposite for years. Whenever I see Catholics themselves they seem more reasonable than they're presented by fundamentalist and other Protestants. Is Karl Keating controversial? I only included his name so others could see exactly which book I was mentioning.

I do admit Catholics have had a long time to come up with "reasons" for their beliefs. But they do always have an answer of some sort.
I see what you mean now. Although he will be one-sided... One plus one equals two. I'm no longer one-sided! :D

Upvote 0