Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Tariel said:
Wha kind of writer are you!?!?!! ^_^

The ideas take priority over EVERYTHING!!! My notebooks for school have more brainstorming ideas than class notes :blush: I keep a notebook with me at all times ^_^
*sniffs* Not a...a very...good one...obviously *breaks out in sobs* :p

Yeah, I know, I know (about the notebook). I'm just lazy. :angel: I'm more of a typer than a handwriter anyway. And I can't go carrying around a computer with me all day...

Well, maybe I could, but my mom wouldn't appreciate me taking off with her laptop...

Upvote 0

Tariel

Reader-Writer-Editor
Apr 25, 2005
✟68,827.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
*sniffs* Not a...a very...good one...obviously *breaks out in sobs* :p

Yeah, I know, I know (about the notebook). I'm just lazy. :angel: I'm more of a typer than a handwriter anyway. And I can't go carrying around a computer with me all day...

Well, maybe I could, but my mom wouldn't appreciate me taking off with her laptop...
sorry :blush: ^_^

I was joking.

Anyway, I know a few people who have good mental storage for this sort of thing...and I'm more of a typer too--but there's a certain tone that can only be achieved through handwriting (and least for me)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Flayer of Falacies
Aug 24, 2005
Somewhere between Bliss and Misery...
✟383.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Loner, I hope you take solace in knowing you're not the only one who has this problem. It is, in fact, why I've not actually finished a book. The plot takes control of the story.

There is, however, a remedy for this, I've learned. It takes some work, but, it DOES work, the point being. First, you take your outline, and then you write the story, action for action, as if you were dumbing it down into bedtime-story form. Once you've finished that, you've successfully gotten the ball rolling. Once I get these fairytale versions of my stories done, I go back through, flesh out events I haven't completely elaborated upon, and before I know it, I've got the story I wanted, plot in tact.

I hope that helped some. It's not an inviting idea, but again, it's one that works. :)

Upvote 0

sunstruckdream

Simply fantastical!
Oct 9, 2005
✟15,003.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
Loner, I hope you take solace in knowing you're not the only one who has this problem. It is, in fact, why I've not actually finished a book. The plot takes control of the story.

There is, however, a remedy for this, I've learned. It takes some work, but, it DOES work, the point being. First, you take your outline, and then you write the story, action for action, as if you were dumbing it down into bedtime-story form. Once you've finished that, you've successfully gotten the ball rolling. Once I get these fairytale versions of my stories done, I go back through, flesh out events I haven't completely elaborated upon, and before I know it, I've got the story I wanted, plot in tact.

I hope that helped some. It's not an inviting idea, but again, it's one that works. :)
That's almost exactly what I do. I do a general outline, then an outline for each chapter, and as I start to write and follow it, I try to remember to be flexible and allow the plot to change as I discover new stuff. It really keeps me on track, though.
I definitely hear you. I'm a big daydreamer myself. I recommend buying a small notebook and keeping it on your person. If I come up with something that I MUST remember, I take a quick timeout and jot it down. It's awesome to look back on later when I'm tripping all over my writer's block.
Bottom line is, you're not alone. So good luck!

Upvote 0

Buskanaka

Hold me in your arms, never let me run away
Oct 8, 2003
Bathurst
Visit site
✟16,878.00
Faith
Christian
Yep I have the same problem. But you know I don't think it really matters. I love making up stories and I do it for my own enjoyment, I don't need to write them down to be having fun with it. The whole 'movie projector in the head' thing ;)
I agree with what others have said though, you just have to start writing things down. I get a bit overwhelmed sometimes when I have an idea for an epic story and I can't seem to start writing because it's too big. So I just start writing out a broad overview without worrying about how it sounds or anything. This usually leads to better ideas and really gets the creative juices flowing. After that it's much easier to go back and actually write the story so it sounds good.

I have a grand story that's been building in my head for awhile and I've just started to dump it out into writing, it's gotten to big for me to contain in my head much longer!

Upvote 0

PublicNewSense

Jul 22, 2007
✟15,181.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
In my early years of writing I had that problem, until I heard from one writer--just WRITE! Don't worry about WHAT, you an always go back and edit later. The important thing is to write, write write. It will evolve itself. I have a lot of faith in this method.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

hisbloodformysins

He's my best friend
Nov 3, 2003
✟5,464.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
Hmmm, I get overwhelmed because i have so much in my mind and am still dealing with/working on that. I own this book titled "writing spiritual books" it's pretty small and simple, but in it the auther gives different ideas on brainstorming on paper. He suggests note cards, or stickies on which you sit and write down every single idea that comes to your mind. Eventually, once you are done with that phase you can than read the cards and catagorize them and you might start coming up with chapter ideas while doing it, and you can catagorize them per chapter. Or you can brainstorm by using a large poster board, writing every idea down ( or you can combine and use note cards/stickies) and then use different colors if you wish but draw lines to connect your ideas, some ideas may go into another catagory....

I'm to the point now where I've already done that, and it's given some direction, but am still in that brainstorming phase and now I'm using my computer, trying to seperate by subject and I spend a lot of time journaling... it helps with the flow of things in my head. :scratch: Hope these ideas help.

HB

Upvote 0

hisbloodformysins

He's my best friend
Nov 3, 2003
✟5,464.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
In my early years of writing I had that problem, until I heard from one writer--just WRITE! Don't worry about WHAT, you an always go back and edit later. The important thing is to write, write write. It will evolve itself. I have a lot of faith in this method.

I read another book (maybe the same one?:) ) that said the same thing... that is where journaling comes in for me..... I just write, my goal is every day, though that may be unrealistic.... but sometimes there are thoughts or life concerns clouding me that I need to deal with to journal first, or I have insights to write, thoughts to share, dreams or book ideas or character ideas or whatever, and I just plan on writing, not forcing a story to come about (because that is when I get writer's block and end up leaving it for a while) but just let things happen naturally...... I trust the talent God has given me for writing personally and aim to believe that the story will come naturally as I am lead, not trying to force things......

HB

Upvote 0

Doubtless

my life is entr'acte...
Feb 21, 2007
Ask me again in twenty minutes.
✟8,066.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I only write things down if they are involved in the background or the plot of the story. Sometimes, however, I just write single words that evoke thoughts and images, such as "Biographer" or "Century" These words may mean nothing to other people, but just seeing them reminds me of some awesome plot I once had, and, if its not so awesome as I thought, usually puts a new plot in my head.

~Doubtless

Upvote 0