Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
I have selfish AB blood. I don't feel overly compelled to donate my useless blood.

Around here, they give you a cookie for donating. I heard some people can be light-headed afterwards. I recommend eating iron afterwards. I don't think it's painful or anything.

Good for you, donating is important! I hope it all goes well.

Reactions: JM
Upvote 0

Guardians

Jun 7, 2016
USA
✟15,146.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
My first time I donated blood, I felt light headed and had to stay put for a while, because I didn't eat enough before I donated. Everything got back to normal after a little bit of rest. It's a good thing, donating blood. If a blood drive is going on where I live, I usually donate. I got AB+ blood, I'm not sure who that can all go to, but if I can help save a life, it's more than worth it. :)

Upvote 0

The Righterzpen

Jesus is my Shield in any Desert or Storm
Feb 9, 2019
Western NY
Visit site
✟144,506.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
My first time I donated blood, I felt light headed and had to stay put for a while, because I didn't eat enough before I donated. Everything got back to normal after a little bit of rest. It's a good thing, donating blood. If a blood drive is going on where I live, I usually donate. I got AB+ blood, I'm not sure who that can all go to, but if I can help save a life, it's more than worth it. :)

AB+ blood can only go to AB+ people. But you can get blood from anyone!

AB+ is universal recipient.
O- is the universal donor.

A- and B- can only get A- and B- blood respectively.
O- can only get O- blood.
AB- is the most rare but can get blood from A- or B-; where as O+ is the most common. All the - blood types are more rare than the + blood types.

positive blood recipients can get same type blood from - or + donors.

Upvote 0

Lost4words

Jesus I Trust In You
Site Supporter
May 19, 2018
Neath, Wales, UK
✟1,012,049.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I tried to give blood once but the sign on the door stopped me going in :(

images.png

Upvote 0

The Righterzpen

Jesus is my Shield in any Desert or Storm
Feb 9, 2019
Western NY
Visit site
✟144,506.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
I tried to give blood once but the sign on the door stopped me going in :(

View attachment 308055

:(

I don't think I can give blood either? I participated in an HIV vaccine trial like 10 years ago; and though I don't have HIV; I may present as positive for antibodies? (Blood drives do test for HIV.) And if I do test positive for HIV antibodies, then I get reported to the local health department as being positive for HIV antibodies. Which the report to the health department would not state that I have antibodies because of a vaccine trial; but just that I had HIV antibodies; thus they'd likely just assume I had HIV.

But I haven't been tested for HIV since that trial either; so I don't even know if I'd come up at a high enough threshold to be "positive" in the first place? There's a good chance I wouldn't, because most vaccines now a days, do not offer life long immunity.

I'd had titers done about 8 years ago, because they could not find my vaccination records when I started college again. I'd had all the vaccines required in the 70's and plus I'd been vaccinated again for everything when I was in the military.

Well the titers came back that the only thing I'd been vaccinated for, that I was still considered to have "sufficient immunity" was Polio and tetanus. (But I'd had a tetanus shot in 2010 when I'd been in a car accident.) I had immunity to whooping cough and chicken pox because I'd had those. But everything else (excluding polio, chicken pox, whooping cough and tetanus); if I wanted to go back to school, I had to be revaccinated all over again.

But I did manage to get out of the meningitis shot because of my age (I was in my 40's) and that I didn't live on campus.

And of course today; unless schools accepted Covid recovered as sufficient immunity; I wouldn't be able to go back to school anyways; because I ain't getting that stupid Covid vaccine!

Upvote 0