Donald's legal team wants to overturn Watergate decision...

TLK Valentine

I've already read the books you want burned.
Apr 15, 2012
Behind the 8-ball, but ahead of the curve.
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Justice Department asks judge to block House from getting Mueller grand jury materials, says Watergate decision was wrong

Justice Department lawyers on Tuesday used the example of Richard Nixon’s impeachment inquiry to argue that the House Judiciary Committee should be denied its request to obtain information about grand jury materials assembled under special counsel Robert Mueller’s probe of President Donald Trump.

Lawyers from the Justice Department surprised the judge, Beryl Howell, by arguing that the decision by former Chief Judge John Sirica to release normally secret grand jury materials to the House in 1974, when Nixon faced impeachment, was incorrect, and that those materials should have been kept from Congress at the time, according to NBC News.

Just sayin', but if your impeachment defense strategy requires you to rewrite Watergate, you've got a problem.

Thoughts?

SimplyMe

Senior Veteran
Jul 19, 2003
the Great Basin
✟330,177.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

whatbogsends

Senior Veteran
Aug 29, 2003
Visit site
✟281,429.00
Faith
Atheist
Justice Department asks judge to block House from getting Mueller grand jury materials, says Watergate decision was wrong

Just sayin', but if your impeachment defense strategy requires you to rewrite Watergate, you've got a problem.

Thoughts?

Based on Barr's testimony and public comments, I am not surprised by this line of defense. Trump chose Barr as AG because his stated position was to put the President above the law.

The US Constitution specifically says otherwise.

Upvote 0

joshua 1 9

Site Supporter
May 11, 2015
Northern Ohio
✟314,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
impeachment defense strategy
The impeachment defense is that there has been no vote to proceed with impeachment. The speaker needs to bring the issue up for a vote if she wants to proceed with this.

Upvote 0

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
The impeachment defense is that there has been no vote to proceed with impeachment. The speaker needs to bring the issue up for a vote if she wants to proceed with this.
It's not, strictly speaking, a requirement. But maybe she will when the House reconvenes on the 15th. Until then it is not possible because the House is not in session. Those who are demanding a vote right now are either appallingly ignorant or just trying to make trouble.

Upvote 0

dailyprayerwarrior

Sep 2, 2019
Blaine
✟12,171.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
It's definitely an interesting time we live in. I always seem to think about what the USA's alternative is? If Trump is not the go-to guy then who is and how do their views affect Christianity and whats their opinion on Israel? Like most people believe, Rep or Dem, if Trump is guilty then he needs to face it. If he isn't, then why is he being falsely accused a lot? I've heard a lot about why he is corrupt. Then why has he not been found guilty in court? Hmmmm. Now is the time to pray for America like never before. May truth prevail and may those who are propagating falsities be found out. And whatever you do, do not just digest mainstream media. Watch independent news outlets in order to get the whole story (eg Glenn Beck, BlazeTV). God bless yall.

Upvote 0

cow451

Standing with Ukraine.
Site Supporter
May 29, 2012
Hot and Humid
✟1,120,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

wing2000

E pluribus unum
Site Supporter
Aug 18, 2012
✟1,429,926.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

That may be the defense, but it has no basis in the U.S. Constitution.

Upvote 0

cow451

Standing with Ukraine.
Site Supporter
May 29, 2012
Hot and Humid
✟1,120,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It's definitely an interesting time we live in. I always seem to think about what the USA's alternative is? If Trump is not the go-to guy then who is and how do their views affect Christianity and whats their opinion on Israel? Like most people believe, Rep or Dem, if Trump is guilty then he needs to face it. If he isn't, then why is he being falsely accused a lot? I've heard a lot about why he is corrupt. Then why has he not been found guilty in court? Hmmmm. Now is the time to pray for America like never before. May truth prevail and may those who are propagating falsities be found out. And whatever you do, do not just digest mainstream media. Watch independent news outlets in order to get the whole story (eg Glenn Beck, BlazeTV). God bless yall.
Nice to see Glenn Beck is still around. And sober. And funny.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

joshua 1 9

Site Supporter
May 11, 2015
Northern Ohio
✟314,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
That may be the defense, but it has no basis in the U.S. Constitution.
The constitution does not give the speaker of the house the power to impeach. The whole house has to vote and they are not doing that because they know that they would be defeated and this whole scam would be exposed. I do not know why people do not recognize what a joke this is. Perhaps they do not realize how desperate the liberals are, grasping at straws trying to defend their failing policies. I understand they want to hold on, but you can not hold onto a vapor and a mist.

Upvote 0

wing2000

E pluribus unum
Site Supporter
Aug 18, 2012
✟1,429,926.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The constitution does not give the speaker of the house the power to impeach. The whole house has to vote and they are not doing that because they know that they would be defeated and this whole scam would be exposed. I do not know why people do not recognize what a joke this is. Perhaps they do not realize how desperate the liberals are, grasping at straws trying to defend their failing policies. I understand they want to hold on, but you can not hold onto a vapor and a mist.

Can you cite where in the constitution that is stipulated?

Upvote 0

joshua 1 9

Site Supporter
May 11, 2015
Northern Ohio
✟314,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
if Trump is guilty
Guilty of what? Investigating Biden and his son and their corruption? I like Biden, he is a nice guy. Even if he talks to much and rambles on a lot. Still he got caught with his hand in the cookie jar and he needs to admit what he did was wrong. This attempt at a cover up is not going to work. He is being exposed. Hillary is the one that corrupted him. From the beginning her administration has always been pay to play. This all began back when Bill was Governor. She was selling political favors even back then.

Upvote 0

DaisyDay

I Did Nothing Wrong!! ~~Team Deep State
Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟212,691.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The constitution does not give the speaker of the house the power to impeach.
It gives the House the power and solely the House. It determines its own rules.
The whole house has to vote
On what, exactly? Currently, there is only an inquiry into impeachment, not the impeachment itself. Who sez the whole House has to vote for an investigation? Where is that written? (Hint: nowhere!)

...and they are not doing that because they know that they would be defeated and this whole scam would be exposed.
Probably the great majority of the representatives would vote in favor of the investigation, if not unanimously.

I do not know why people do not recognize what a joke this is. Perhaps they do not realize how desperate the liberals are, grasping at straws trying to defend their failing policies. I understand they want to hold on, but you can not hold onto a vapor and a mist.
I'm not sure you understand that committees do have investigative powers, even to subpoena. I'm not sure you understand that the impeachment has not yet started, that there is currently only an investigation - why would you term that a 'scam' when the House is tasked with oversight?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

joshua 1 9

Site Supporter
May 11, 2015
Northern Ohio
✟314,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Can you cite where in the constitution that is stipulated?
Impeachment article one section two says that the house has to be in agreement. Ultimately they have to have a 2/3 majority to impeach. The process needs a majority to proceed with their investigation. They do not have a majority vote so they can not proceed until they get a majority vote. Good luck trying to get anyone anywhere to agree on anything. The whole thing is absurd because everyone knows they could never come up with a 2/3 vote to actually impeach a president. Clinton knew this and he knew he had nothing to worry about when they tried to impeach him. The Speaker of the house does not have the power to impeach or even investigate. The house has to vote on that before they can proceed with their investigation. The fact that they can not secure a majority vote show that they are grasping and straws and they have nothing.

Upvote 0

joshua 1 9

Site Supporter
May 11, 2015
Northern Ohio
✟314,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It determines its own rules.
We have checks and balances and they can challenge this with the supreme court. Even it would appear that the Supreme court has the power to appoint a president as they did with Bush.

Upvote 0

joshua 1 9

Site Supporter
May 11, 2015
Northern Ohio
✟314,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm not sure you understand that committees do have investigative powers, even to subpoena.
The house has the power, not the committee. They are trying to claim they have that power independent of the house but they do not.

Upvote 0

DaisyDay

Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟212,691.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Guilty of what? Investigating Biden and his son and their corruption?
Using his office to harm a political opponent for personal reasons and extorting a foreign nation into interfering in our election cycle 2020.

I like Biden, he is a nice guy. Even if he talks to much and rambles on a lot. Still he got caught with his hand in the cookie jar
No, he didn't. This is a lie propagated by Donald and his minions.

and he needs to admit what he did was wrong.
Biden was carrying out official US policy - he, unlike Donald, was not doing this on his own for his own gain, but because it was his job to do it.

This attempt at a cover up is not going to work. He is being exposed.
There is no coverup of Biden because none is necessary.

Hillary is the one that corrupted him. From the beginning her administration has always been pay to play. This all began back when Bill was Governor. She was selling political favors even back then.
Oh good heavens, Hillary the Evil Genius. That is fantasy.

Upvote 0

DaisyDay

Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟212,691.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
We have checks and balances and they can challenge this with the supreme court.
We do have checks and balances but it is extremely unlikely that the Supreme Court would touch this with a 10-foot pole. The Constitution gives the Congress and only Congress the right to impeach any federal officer, including judges.

Even it would appear that the Supreme court has the power to appoint a president as they did with Bush.
What? Oh, that supposedly is not what they did, although....

• Agree
Reactions: JohnAshton
Upvote 0