Donald threatens to move RNC convention... but to where?

TLK Valentine

I've already read the books you want burned.
Apr 15, 2012
Behind the 8-ball, but ahead of the curve.
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Trump says Republican National Convention might move from Charlotte—no other city wanted to host it

President Donald Trump has threatened to scrap plans to hold the upcoming Republican National Convention in North Carolina and move the event elsewhere if the state's governor does not agree to allow "full attendance" at the August event.

Currently, under North Carolina's coronavirus response measures, gatherings of more than 10 people in indoor settings are not permitted under "most circumstances," while outdoor gatherings are limited to a maximum of 25 people.

The catch:

While the coronavirus pandemic could make it difficult for Trump to find another state willing to hold the mass event, another clear hurdle stands in the president's way: the fact that few states wanted to host the event in the first place.

An article published by New York Magazine's Intelligencer blog laid out the GOP's struggle with the headline: "GOP Awards Its 2020 Convention to the Only City That Sorta Kinda Wanted It."

At the time, Charlotte, which had previously hosted the 2012 Democratic National Convention, had been the only city to publicly pursue the convention, while other cities, including Philadelphia, San Antonio and Nashville, backed away from the potential bid.

[STAFF EDITED]

Thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator:

Arcangl86

Dec 29, 2013
✟347,295.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
I can't imagine trying to plan the RNC from the ground up in 3 months. It's a huge undertaking, which is why the convention site is picked 2 years in advance. Also, if they cancel now, they are on the hook for any contracts they may have already made. The question is also where in Florida? Just because Florida Republicans want it there doesn't mean any city will agree to it.

• Agree
Reactions: FireDragon76
Upvote 0

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟702,465.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I can't imagine trying to plan the RNC from the ground up in 3 months. It's a huge undertaking, which is why the convention site is picked 2 years in advance. Also, if they cancel now, they are on the hook for any contracts they may have already made. The question is also where in Florida? Just because Florida Republicans want it there doesn't mean any city will agree to it.

Good points - my question is what City would not want it - thousands upon thousands of people coming into a city bringing hundreds of millions of dollars into a hurting economy.

Remember, though it was advertised that Florida would be the new NY in the terms of Covid - it did not happen at nearly the magnitude it was supposed to.

I'm sure there are a number of cities that would welcome the business.

Upvote 0

Desk trauma

Front row at the dumpster fire of the republic
Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,190,952.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Good points - my question is what City would not want it
Every last one of them other than Charlotte as they were the only city to submit a formal bid for the convention.

• Haha
Reactions: KCfromNC
Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Good points - my question is what City would not want it - thousands upon thousands of people coming into a city bringing hundreds of millions of dollars into a hurting economy.

The economy is hurting because of a pandemic which thousands and thousands of people would spread... which is why Donald's threatening NC in the first place.

Remember, though it was advertised that Florida would be the new NY in the terms of Covid - it did not happen at nearly the magnitude it was supposed to.

I'm sure there are a number of cities that would welcome the business.

I'm sure a few of them should probably speak up in order to give Donald's threat some weight.

Upvote 0

ArmenianJohn

Politically Liberal Christian Fundamentalist
Jan 30, 2013
New Jersey (NYC Metro)
✟205,252.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
  • Haha
Reactions: Kentonio
Upvote 0

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟702,465.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
If Trump and his family plus a lot of Republicans will be attending then I strongly suggest NYC do it and even foot the entire bill.

NYC doesn't have the money to support six guys meeting in a Red Roof Inn, let alone a major convention. They were deep in debt before the virus and worse off now.

Upvote 0

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
Up your nose....wid a rubbah hose.
✟367,853.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
My concern? And let's be real. I'm simply not convinced that convention attenders will be big into wearing masks. Well guess what....people coming from all over the country who would not social distance and who refuse to wear a mask:

That is asking for a health emergency in ANY host city.

I am NOT a trump fan, but I can certainly see how frustrating this predicament would be. Of course, the other option is to LIMIT the size of the convention. But, of course, for the optics, Trump insists on being able to sell the place out.

So...is Trump willing to work with others, or is everyone going to have to bend to his will? And then, when people don't bend to his will, will he just insult and disparage them?
Yes and yes.

• Agree
Reactions: DaisyDay
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Desk trauma

Front row at the dumpster fire of the republic
Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,190,952.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Hope the governor calls his bluff.

Cooper has impressed me thus far during all this, hopefully he continues to do so. The Observer has a good take on the matter.

Also State Senator Jackson had really distinguished himself in my option, sadly I can no longer vote for him having moved.

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
NYC doesn't have the money to support six guys meeting in a Red Roof Inn, let alone a major convention. They were deep in debt before the virus and worse off now.

I thought conventions were supposed to help the economy; not be a burden?

my question is what City would not want it - thousands upon thousands of people coming into a city bringing hundreds of millions of dollars into a hurting economy.

Remember? Seems worth taking out a loan for...

Reactions: ArmenianJohn
Upvote 0

KCfromNC

Apr 18, 2007
✟486,928.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
  • Winner
Reactions: DaisyDay
Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
The punchline here is that Cooper is following a more aggressive reopening plan than the one Donald proposed.

Aggressive or not, inviting tens of thousands of loyal followers of a man who doesn't believe in masks or social distancing is just asking for trouble...

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

KCfromNC

Apr 18, 2007
✟486,928.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Aggressive or not, inviting tens of thousands of loyal followers of a man who doesn't believe in masks or social distancing is just asking for trouble...
If it were me, I'd string Donald along for a few months more and then declare it unsafe. You know, rapidly changing situation on the ground or some such. Let him try to put together a convention on 2 or 3 weeks notice. I mean, it is a tough task but we all know Donald's employees are hand-picked because of their superior organization and logistical capabilities so I'm sure they're up to the job.

Upvote 0

ArmenianJohn

Politically Liberal Christian Fundamentalist
Jan 30, 2013
New Jersey (NYC Metro)
✟205,252.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
LOL!!! Where do you get that idea?

Upvote 0