Does the Bible Define Marriage as Man + Woman Only?

IzzyPop

I wear my sunglasses at night...
Jun 2, 2007
✟22,709.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Conservative religious groups treat their women as "chattel and an incubator"?

Patriarchy is anything BUT an abusive system against women. Did you ever see Abraham treat his wives with anything but lovingkindness? If he had been abusive, I doubt that Sarah would ever have called him "lord".

You seem to have a very strange take on biblical facts and modern realities.

If I misunderstood your statements, then it's because of grammatical errors in your post. I read it several times, and couldn't quite put some things together.

BTW&DM
Read what the bible says about a woman's place in the family or what a woman is worth. Look how woman are treated in Hassidic enclaves, or in Mormon areas that practice polygamy. Check out the Catholic church and their views on women. And make sure you look at women's rights in conservative Islamic nations. All are of the Abrahamic tradition and all treat their women worse than I would treat my dog.

Upvote 0

WatersMoon110

To See with Eyes Unclouded by Hate
May 30, 2007
Ohio
✟21,255.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Patriarchy is anything BUT an abusive system against women. Did you ever see Abraham treat his wives with anything but lovingkindness? If he had been abusive, I doubt that Sarah would ever have called him "lord".
I disagree. Just because they aren't necessarily beating their wives, doesn't mean that those wives are happy or free (and freedom, I feel, is a very important part of happiness for humans).

Women, in the Bible are portrayed as less than men, as are women in some churches. Women are often confined to certain types of dress, certain allowable (and many unallowable) actions, and even restricted in careers, and even told that men should be making their decisions for them.

It's pretty cold and lonely on a pedestal. And unpleasant for both parties involved.

Upvote 0

ReverendDG

Defeater of Dad and AV1611VET
Sep 3, 2006
✟10,901.00
Faith
Pantheist
Politics
US-Others
Conservative religious groups treat their women as "chattel and an incubator"?
well if they don't why do people feel that if you don't have kids you aren't fulfilling a role in your life? i've seen threads before condemning childless couples on this board

the fact is you don't know what "loving kindness" was considered to them, they might have a different concept of what that is than us.
abuse would have little to do with sarah calling abraham lord, that was expected of women

You seem to have a very strange take on biblical facts and modern realities.
i think you are confusing izzy with your mirror, it must be very shiny though

If I misunderstood your statements, then it's because of grammatical errors in your post. I read it several times, and couldn't quite put some things together.

BTW&DM
wow if thats the best you can come up with, you must be running out of material, seriously i can read his post just fine.
yours on the other hand is lost in some good ol' days fantasy world, that is no where close to reality.
i think your odd belief about "feministic theology" threw folks off, the world is not feministic by any means

Upvote 0

BeforeThereWas

Seasoned Warrior
Mar 14, 2005
Midwest City, OK
✟10,560.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Read what the bible says about a woman's place in the family or what a woman is worth.

So what you're saying is that the Bible prescribes women to some status with which you don't agree? What exactly do you think the Bible teaches that you don't agree with?

Look how woman are treated in Hassidic enclaves,

What does that have to do with the Bible?

or in Mormon areas that practice polygamy.

What about 'em? Are you saying that just because they like to label themselves as Christian, that it must therefore be true? What if I said that all athiests are idiots. Would that be a true statement? You be the judge.

Check out the Catholic church and their views on women.

They worship a different god than the One described within the Bible. So what's your point?

And make sure you look at women's rights in conservative Islamic nations.

Islam, like all the other comparisons you've made, has nothing to do with Bible-based Christianity. Abraham was nothing like the muslims.

All are of the Abrahamic tradition and all treat their women worse than I would treat my dog.

Well, now I can see the lack of any true enlightenment in your understanding of historic and biblical facts. You know, if you'd spend less time hauling that chip around on your shoulder, issuing blanket, stereotypical assumptions and condemnations about people and topics for which you have little to no knowledge, and take some time to do your homework, you might actually contribute something of value to a discussion. You know nothing about me or my beliefs.

Don't let labels fool you.

BTW&DM

Upvote 0

BeforeThereWas

Seasoned Warrior
Mar 14, 2005
Midwest City, OK
✟10,560.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I disagree. Just because they aren't necessarily beating their wives, doesn't mean that those wives are happy or free (and freedom, I feel, is a very important part of happiness for humans).

You appear to be harboring a premise about Abraham and his treatment of Sarah that makes me wonder. I really must see your evidence, if you wouldn't mind showing it to me.

Women, in the Bible are portrayed as less than men, as are women in some churches.

I see. So, you think that your standards for women are superior to what you think you see in the Bible? If so, then what makes your standards for happiness superior to people you've never even met?

Women are often confined to certain types of dress,

If they're so miserable, then why haven't they consulted you as to your brand of true happiness? How do you know that they aren't happy just where they are? How do you know that you coudn't find more joy and happiness in the way they live their lives? How many miles have you walked in their shoes? Have you walked even one?

certain allowable (and many unallowable) actions,

Such as...?

and even restricted in careers,

Do you honesty see yourself as the ultimate icon for the authoritative standard for women's happiness?

You'll have to excuse my indifference to your off-the-cuff remarks that have no backing for support in your post.

and even told that men should be making their decisions for them.

So, you think that you have license to take maybe a few bad examples, and paint with broad brush strokes every lifestyle as inferior with which you personally don't agree? Do you see yourself as the Joan of Arc for the only acceptable standard that defines women's happiness?

It's pretty cold and lonely on a pedestal. And unpleasant for both parties involved.

That makes for a very pious sounding cliche', but still makes little to no sense.

BTW&DM

Upvote 0

BeforeThereWas

Seasoned Warrior
Mar 14, 2005
Midwest City, OK
✟10,560.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
well if they don't why do people feel that if you don't have kids you aren't fulfilling a role in your life? i've seen threads before condemning childless couples on this board

Ok, so what did you do about it? Did you confront them with sound reason, or uncaring indifference?

the fact is you don't know what "loving kindness" was considered to them, they might have a different concept of what that is than us.

Indeed? And just how do you know what I don know? You don't even know me, and yet you've got me all sized up and crammed into your little box of limited understanding? Spare yourself the frustration of ignorance. Perhaps you don't have the reading comprehension skills of many other people, but that doesn mean that everyone else around you suffers from the same malady.

abuse would have little to do with sarah calling abraham lord, that was expected of women

You have got to be kidding! Are you serious? Tell you what, you stated the claim, so please back it up with concise, reasonable exegesis.

i think you are confusing izzy with your mirror, it must be very shiny though

Ooooo. Boy. Wow. You really got me with that one...:doh: That was sooooo...witty...:eek:

wow if thats the best you can come up with, you must be running out of material, seriously i can read his post just fine.

Well, I can't help it if obvious, grammatical errors escape you.

yours on the other hand is lost in some good ol' days fantasy world, that is no where close to reality.

Hmm. Well, uhhh. That means so much coming from...you...:swoon:

i think your odd belief about "feministic theology" threw folks off, the world is not feministic by any means

Really? You and some of your like-minded friends thought I was talking in terms of the whole world? Hmm. I certainly didn't use universal language in my post, but then, the reading comprehension skills of some leaves much to be desired...

(Isn't the battle of wits quite pointless?)

BTW&DM

Upvote 0

IzzyPop

Jun 2, 2007
✟22,709.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
So what you're saying is that the Bible prescribes women to some status with which you don't agree? What exactly do you think the Bible teaches that you don't agree with?

What does that have to do with the Bible?

What about 'em? Are you saying that just because they like to label themselves as Christian, that it must therefore be true? What if I said that all athiests are idiots. Would that be a true statement? You be the judge.

They worship a different god than the One described within the Bible. So what's your point?

Islam, like all the other comparisons you've made, has nothing to do with Bible-based Christianity. Abraham was nothing like the muslims.

Well, now I can see the lack of any true enlightenment in your understanding of historic and biblical facts. You know, if you'd spend less time hauling that chip around on your shoulder, issuing blanket, stereotypical assumptions and condemnations about people and topics for which you have little to no knowledge, and take some time to do your homework, you might actually contribute something of value to a discussion. You know nothing about me or my beliefs.

Don't let labels fool you.

BTW&DM
If you will read what I said from the get-go, I did not single out Christianity. I specifically referred to Abrahamic traditions, thereby including Judaism, Christianity, and Islam. You can crow about how the others are not the true path all you want. All three groups trace their roots back to the same god (the God of Abraham) and the same patriarch (Abraham). And all three have quite a history of treating women less than men. You can feel free to show me how my understanding of history is wrong. Good luck.

Upvote 0

BeforeThereWas

Seasoned Warrior
Mar 14, 2005
Midwest City, OK
✟10,560.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
If you will read what I said from the get-go, I did not single out Christianity. I specifically referred to Abrahamic traditions, thereby including Judaism, Christianity, and Islam. You can crow about how the others are not the true path all you want. All three groups trace their roots back to the same god (the God of Abraham) and the same patriarch (Abraham). And all three have quite a history of treating women less than men. You can feel free to show me how my understanding of history is wrong. Good luck.

As with any stubborn belief system, this smacks of indifference to the possibility that there may indeed be a great deal of error in your analysis of each group. The fact that each group harbors vastly different ethics, morals, doctrines, and understanding about the nature of God and life in general should have been a red light to any attempt at lumping each group together under the same blanket conclusion. You have no idea what you're talking about, being on the outside, looking in.

On the flip-side, I can say that I've never met an intellectual athiest, but then, that only points at a tendency among that group that I don't apply to each individual. Athiesm has no defining system of belief. It's just a state of mind. It's also true that I'm an outsider to that mindset. I also know that not all athiests harbor the same beliefs, so casting a blanket analysis over all athiests, regardless of what defining system of thought that governs each individual's approach to their conclusions, is an exercise in futility, just as you are doing here.

In other words, claims versus reality are two entirely different matters. If you're too lazy to get off your duff and do your homework, then you're painting a very clear portrait of your character traits. The Bible, which predates the koran by more than 3000 years, pretty much settles the issue with islam. If you take the time and effort to actually study that belief system, and its history, it teachings, its ethics, its doctrines about its god, a number of departures from modern assumptions about them begin to emerge. Not all muslims who claim to be followers of the koran are actually following the teachings of the koran. The foundational ethics and morals of islam are radically different from those of Christianity, regardless of those groups in the present and past who claimed to be Christians, but whose actions gave ample evidence to the contrary.

You can sit there with your smug indifference to reality, but we all can rest assured that your atitudes and assumptions about people you've never met, in the end, have no bearing whatsoever on anything meaningful.

BTW&DM

Upvote 0

IzzyPop

Jun 2, 2007
✟22,709.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
As with any stubborn belief system, this smacks of indifference to the possibility that there may indeed be a great deal of error in your analysis of each group. The fact that each group harbors vastly different ethics, morals, doctrines, and understanding about the nature of God and life in general should have been a red light to any attempt at lumping each group together under the same blanket conclusion. You have no idea what you're talking about, being on the outside, looking in.
I am only comparing them on two points. One is whether or not they trace their spiritual lineage to Abraham and how the women in these groups are treated. The other similarities or differences are immaterial for the purposes of this discussion.

On the flip-side, I can say that I've never met an intellectual athiest, but then, that only points at a tendency among that group that I don't apply to each individual. Athiesm has no defining system of belief. It's just a state of mind. It's also true that I'm an outsider to that mindset. I also know that not all athiests harbor the same beliefs, so casting a blanket analysis over all athiests, regardless of what defining system of thought that governs each individual's approach to their conclusions, is an exercise in futility, just as you are doing here.
Ad hominem that has ne bearing on the discussion.

In other words, claims versus reality are two entirely different matters. If you're too lazy to get off your duff and do your homework, then you're painting a very clear portrait of your character traits. The Bible, which predates the koran by more than 3000 years, pretty much settles the issue with islam. If you take the time and effort to actually study that belief system, and its history, it teachings, its ethics, its doctrines about its god, a number of departures from modern assumptions about them begin to emerge. Not all muslims who claim to be followers of the koran are actually following the teachings of the koran. The foundational ethics and morals of islam are radically different from those of Christianity, regardless of those groups in the present and past who claimed to be Christians, but whose actions gave ample evidence to the contrary.
So they each have different reasons for treating their women as less then human? I'm not getting what point you are trying to make her. Maybe it is your grammar?

You can sit there with your smug indifference to reality, but we all can rest assured that your atitudes and assumptions about people you've never met, in the end, have no bearing whatsoever on anything meaningful.

BTW&DM
Look, I pointed out that many self-identified conservative groups that are also self-identified as following the God of Abraham treat their women a less than their men as a way to show that the western theology is not defined by feministic theology. You have done nothing but attack me and various straw men of your own creation. If you care to defend your position that the western world is defined by feministic theology, feel free to start at any time.

Upvote 0

Ramona

If you can't see my siggy, I've disappeared ;)
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2006
Visit site
✟55,932.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Married
This thread is a branching off of from NeTrips' point http://www.christianforums.com/showpost.php?p=36607981&postcount=325
responding to my question, "Exactly how is homosexual sex sinful?"

I spun this off into a new thread so the old one doesn't get derailed.

I'm going to have to disagree that the Bible defines marriage as only between a man and woman.

The Bible does talk about marriages between men and women, but not between men and men or women and women. But does this mean that, just because the Bible does not explicitly sanction same sex marriages, they are prohibited? If we limited our lives to only things specifically sanctioned by the Bible, we'd all still be living like it's the 1st century AD.

Besides, the Bible also has examples of men who had multiple wives simultaneously. Jacob, for example, in Genesis 29. Since here we have an example of a polygamist who was blessed by God, why is polygamy not allowed?

So I have two questions:
1. Where exactly does the Bible define marriage as only between a man and a woman? Alternatively, where does the Bible define that marriage is not between a two men or two women?
2. Since the Bible appears to support men having multiple wives, why is there no support for it (aside from the FLDS)?

I'm not about to read through the entire thread just yet, so here's my response to the OP.

I'm so sick of that "Adam and Eve, not Adam and Steve" nonsense. If God created Adam and Eve, then who made Steve? To say that this example proves that God only recognizes one man/one woman unions is tantamount to saying that because God created me with blonde hair, he wants everyone to have blonde hair.

I don't see a difference.

Furthermore, even if the Bible did define marriage as one man/one woman (which it does not, there's tons of polygamy in there), it doesn't really matter legally, as the Bible has no place in the lawbooks.

Reactions: selfinflikted
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

selfinflikted

Under Deck
Jul 13, 2006
✟24,014.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
I'm not about to read through the entire thread just yet, so here's my response to the OP.

I'm so sick of that "Adam and Eve, not Adam and Steve" nonsense. If God created Adam and Eve, then who made Steve? To say that this example proves that God only recognizes one man/one woman unions is tantamount to saying that because God created me with blonde hair, he wants everyone to have blonde hair.

I don't see a difference.

Furthermore, even if the Bible did define marriage as one man/one woman (which it does not, there's tons of polygamy in there), it doesn't really matter legally, as the Bible has no place in the lawbooks.

:thumbsup:

Upvote 0

BeforeThereWas

Seasoned Warrior
Mar 14, 2005
Midwest City, OK
✟10,560.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I am only comparing them on two points. One is whether or not they trace their spiritual lineage to Abraham and how the women in these groups are treated. The other similarities or differences are immaterial for the purposes of this discussion.

So, are you saying that the governing rules of engagement in a discussion with you are all one-sided? You're the only one who can determine the parellels, span and limitations? Quite frankly, limiting the parameters of comparison like this throws up red flags in my mind.

What is the evidence for your premises? Do you have any?

Ad hominem that has ne bearing on the discussion.

I think you better go and look that up. I wasn't attacking anyone's character. I was making a point by use of a hypothetical that I clearly stated was not at all my belief.

So they each have different reasons for treating their women as less then human? I'm not getting what point you are trying to make her. Maybe it is your grammar?

Simply stated: You claim that Abraham and some Christian groups treat women as less than human. Please show me some proof of this claim.

My second, salient point was that a mere claim isn't true by virtue of an individual's personal beliefs. Do you have proof of your claims?

Look, I pointed out that many self-identified conservative groups that are also self-identified as following the God of Abraham treat their women a less than their men as a way to show that the western theology is not defined by feministic theology.

What this does is show that my point and label of feministic theology is relevant only to those within the camp, not without. It has no relavence to you personally, and is therefore moot.

You have done nothing but attack me and various straw men of your own creation. If you care to defend your position that the western world is defined by feministic theology, feel free to start at any time.

Therein is the rub. I don't believe that I ever stated that all of Western theology is governed by feminism. I stated that feministic theology is pervasive (although I didn't use that exact term) within Western theological thought. Examples of a few peripheral groups, coupled with your subjective criteria for what constitutes how women should be treated, we're still left with a great big zilch.

BTW&DM

Upvote 0

IzzyPop

Jun 2, 2007
✟22,709.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
So, are you saying that the governing rules of engagement in a discussion with you are all one-sided? You're the only one who can determine the parellels, span and limitations? Quite frankly, limiting the parameters of comparison like this throws up red flags in my mind.
Not at all. I am pointing out that if they do not touch upon the manner that women are treated, they tangential to the conversation, at best.

What is the evidence for your premises? Do you have any?
The evidence in the various holy books. It is in the manner of dress. It is in the way that some of these men treat women who do not even believe the same as them. Look at honor killings in the Middle East. Look at women being stoned in Africa. Look at the buses in Israel. Look at some of the Christian churches and the struggles, both past and present, of women being ordained.

I think you better go and look that up. I wasn't attacking anyone's character. I was making a point by use of a hypothetical that I clearly stated was not at all my belief.
You are correct. I misunderstood the what you were saying and I apologize for that.

Simply stated: You claim that Abraham and some Christian groups treat women as less than human. Please show me some proof of this claim.

My second, salient point was that a mere claim isn't true by virtue of an individual's personal beliefs. Do you have proof of your claims?
See above.

What this does is show that my point and label of feministic theology is relevant only to those within the camp, not without. It has no relavence to you personally, and is therefore moot.
Okay.

Therein is the rub. I don't believe that I ever stated that all of Western theology is governed by feminism. I stated that feministic theology is pervasive (although I didn't use that exact term) within Western theological thought. Examples of a few peripheral groups, coupled with your subjective criteria for what constitutes how women should be treated, we're still left with a great big zilch.

BTW&DM
I will point out that you have not brought anything to defend your statement about feministic theology. You have only attempted to knock down my points. While I am comfortable doing this, you are the one that made a positive assertion in the beginning. Until you can bring forth proof to show that this feministic theology even exists in the first place, I think that this discussion is pretty much over.

Reactions: WatersMoon110
Upvote 0

BeforeThereWas

Seasoned Warrior
Mar 14, 2005
Midwest City, OK
✟10,560.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Not at all. I am pointing out that if they do not touch upon the manner that women are treated, they tangential to the conversation, at best.

I disagree. When comparisons are made between a few bad eggs within Christianity, and many bad eggs outside Christianity, as a means of casting blanket condemnations upon all the groups mentioned, well, I'm forced to blow the whistle. Tangential? Let's leave that to physics and math.

You still have failed to give me some solid evidence as to your basis of comparison for how women should be treated, and where all those other groups violated any subjective standard for women. That's not to say that there is no abuse in each group. However, that's hardly reason for painting each group with broad brush strokes of condemnation.

The evidence in the various holy books. It is in the manner of dress. It is in the way that some of these men treat women who do not even believe the same as them.

Let's deal with specifics. Can you be more specific?

Look at honor killings in the Middle East.

They're doing what the koran teaches. What did you expect?

Look at women being stoned in Africa.

Naughty tribes. They really need to get modernized.

Look at the buses in Israel.

That's muslims doing what the koran teaches them. Take that up with them.

Look at some of the Christian churches and the struggles, both past and present, of women being ordained.

Are you an authority to say that women should be ordained? If the general populace doesn't want women as leaders over their private organizations, then who are you to criticize them? I know for a fact that not all women agree with women ordination.

Please excuse my ignorance, but I still fail to see you presenting any objective standard by which you judge what constitutes abuse of women, and what doesn't.

What I mean is, you appear to have your own standards of treatment for women, that has an origin I can't seem to pin down.

I will point out that you have not brought anything to defend your statement about feministic theology.

I fear that my statements about feministic theology would be lost in translation between us. An understanding of my conceptual description of that phenomenon would require a very lengthy dissertation that I suspect would be picked apart when scrutinized through the lenses of subjective ideals for how men and women should live together in society, culture, and faith communities.

Why? Well, we simply aren't of similar beliefs. We come from vastly differing worldviews.

BTW&DM

Upvote 0

IzzyPop

Jun 2, 2007
✟22,709.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
I disagree. When comparisons are made between a few bad eggs within Christianity, and many bad eggs outside Christianity, as a means of casting blanket condemnations upon all the groups mentioned, well, I'm forced to blow the whistle. Tangential? Let's leave that to physics and math.
I see it as more of a common thread as opposed to isolated incidents.

You still have failed to give me some solid evidence as to your basis of comparison for how women should be treated, and where all those other groups violated any subjective standard for women. That's not to say that there is no abuse in each group. However, that's hardly reason for painting each group with broad brush strokes of condemnation.
Women should not be treated any differently than men. When various groups all state that a good women should be subservient to men, and all those groups take pride in being ables to trace themselves back to a single source, it makes it pretty easy to draw a comparison.

Let's deal with specifics. Can you be more specific?

They're doing what the koran teaches. What did you expect?

Naughty tribes. They really need to get modernized.

That's muslims doing what the koran teaches them. Take that up with them.

Are you an authority to say that women should be ordained? If the general populace doesn't want women as leaders over their private organizations, then who are you to criticize them? I know for a fact that not all women agree with women ordination.
You are missing the point. All of the examples given are pulled from groups that self identify as an Abrahamic tradition. All of these groups self identify as conservative. All of these groups put restrictions on women that they do not put on men. And most, if not all, expect other women not of their group to act in the same manner.

Please excuse my ignorance, but I still fail to see you presenting any objective standard by which you judge what constitutes abuse of women, and what doesn't.

What I mean is, you appear to have your own standards of treatment for women, that has an origin I can't seem to pin down.
Merely equality. If you require for women to be covered from head to toe, make the men do so as well. Do not make women sit in the back of the bus. Do not write in a holy book that women are subservient to men and that their value is quantifiably less that that on a man's.

I fear that my statements about feministic theology would be lost in translation between us. An understanding of my conceptual description of that phenomenon would require a very lengthy dissertation that I suspect would be picked apart when scrutinized through the lenses of subjective ideals for how men and women should live together in society, culture, and faith communities.
Then you should have not said anything if you are not willing to back up your initial assertion. I have laid down objective examples of women being treated with more restrictions than men in conservative Abrahamic traditions. You have provided nothing.

Why? Well, we simply aren't of similar beliefs. We come from vastly differing worldviews.

BTW&DM
I can agree with that.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

BeforeThereWas

Seasoned Warrior
Mar 14, 2005
Midwest City, OK
✟10,560.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Women should not be treated any differently than men.

Could you clarify this? What exactly does this mean? It's much too open-ended.

When various groups all state that a good women should be subservient to men, and all those groups take pride in being ables to trace themselves back to a single source, it makes it pretty easy to draw a comparison.

Ok. Let's go with this. Muslims do indeed treat their women in a manner that most people may find objectionable. However, what does that have to do with true Christianity? I have yet to hear one true Christian say that he treats his wife in a manner that's consistent with families dating all the way back to Abraham.

So, what's your point. I'm a Christian, and my wife is under my headship in the family. That doesn't make her subservient to me, but rather that she is under my headship, not beneath me in importance and value. I protect her and provide for her. She is the weaker vessel.

You really need to get over the fact that this world simply isn't full of seven foot tall Amazon women who can bench-press any man. Not all women are militant, foaming-at-the-mouth feminazis. You're experience with women must be very limited...either that, or you have very bad taste in women. Your continual reliance upon subjectivity in how women should be treated points to some fantasy world that has no tangibility, unless you can show me, or name for me an objective standard upon which you rely for your basis of comparison.

What exactly do you want? Do you want women to have the freedom to walk into the bathroom when you're standing at the urinal, doing your business? Just how equal do you want them? Where's the limit. What are the distinctions? You've got to paint a consistent, concrete portrait if you want people to take you more seriously.

You are missing the point. All of the examples given are pulled from groups that self identify as an Abrahamic tradition.

What Christians say that they're following Abrahamic tradition? I certainly don't. We admire his faith. None of us can say how he treated his wives. We weren't there. We didn't do some pseudo-scientific, psychological study of his family. So, what's your point? You appear to be assuming something into the mix that you can't possibly know for sure. Just because those groups claim they've patterned themselves after Abraham doesn't mean that they've patterned themselves after EVERY ASPECT of that man's life.

Abraham didn't go around forcing people, at the tip of a sword, to convert to his beliefs, islam has and still does. Just go and visit the far reaches of Jordan sometime, and see for yourself. Sarah was so taken with her husband Abraham that she willingly called him lord. That speaks of her being humble of heart and spirit, as opposed to the unattractive, buck-toothed Amazon in curlers who wants euqal or more authority than a man.

I dare say that you'd prefer men friends who are humble and loving than course, rough and indifferent, unless you're of that personality yourself. I'm a tall, powerfully built, muscular brute, who has a countenance that's very intimidating, and yet my heart is tender and loving. I hurt nobody intentionally. So, again, what's your point?

All of these groups self identify as conservative. All of these groups put restrictions on women that they do not put on men.

Do you actually think that all the women in such groups are captives, that they want out, and that they dislike their circumstances? I don't condone the obvious abuses, but all you've done is subjectively assume into your portrait a world filled with thoughts and emotions that simply don't represent the complete reality all around us. You'd have to be deity to see into the minds and hearts of all those people. You carry a label that identifies you as not believing in deity. Are you now laying claim for yourself such power?

And most, if not all, expect other women not of their group to act in the same manner.

When's the last time you saw a budhist or mormon state that muslim women need to dress more sexy? Come on! What are you talking about? Why not over to Saudi Arabia, Egypt, or Sudan and tell those naughy men to stop treating their women with such brutish inequality? If you're tha objective ambassador as to how all women should be treated, then why not start your own crusade? There are many men out there who are treated with disregard for decency and equity. What about them? India is chocked full of a culture that looks down upon the lower, poor class as being less than human. Why not DO somrthing about it?

Merely equality. If you require for women to be covered from head to toe, make the men do so as well.

What those men do is completely beyond my control, and they have nothing to do with me or Christianity. They can claim to own the moon, but that doesn't make it true.

Do not make women sit in the back of the bus. Do not write in a holy book that women are subservient to men and that their value is quantifiably less that that on a man's.

The Bible makes no such claims. So, what's your point in relation to us?

Then you should have not said anything if you are not willing to back up your initial assertion. I have laid down objective examples of women being treated with more restrictions than men in conservative Abrahamic traditions. You have provided nothing.

There's two sides to this coin: Two nothings still equal nothing. You've made claims about a group that has no way of being verified, given that no man alive today has a record of exactly how Abraham interacted with this wives, and how he treated them, and you've painted a fairly inaccurate portrait of groups with which you've obviously spent no time with, and made no effort to truly get to know. Come here and spend time with my faily before you paint us with your subjective coloring from that broad brush of yours.

BTW&DM

Upvote 0

IzzyPop

Jun 2, 2007
✟22,709.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Could you clarify this? What exactly does this mean? It's much too open-ended.
How so? I know of no way to pare it down. Men and women should not be held to different standards. People are people.

Ok. Let's go with this. Muslims do indeed treat their women in a manner that most people may find objectionable. However, what does that have to do with true Christianity? I have yet to hear one true Christian say that he treats his wife in a manner that's consistent with families dating all the way back to Abraham.
You are missing the point here. When I refer to the Abrahamic tradition I am discussing the three religions that worship the same god Abraham did, Judaism, Christianity, and Islam. All three traditions (religions) have a history of treating their women as less than men. They may not all have treated them poorly in the same manner, but they all have mistreated women as a whole.

So, what's your point. I'm a Christian, and my wife is under my headship in the family. That doesn't make her subservient to me, but rather that she is under my headship, not beneath me in importance and value. I protect her and provide for her. She is the weaker vessel.
Actually, it does make her subservient to you. If you claim headship, that means when it boils down to it, you win. You have the option of conceding in a disagreement with your wife, but that is your option.

You really need to get over the fact that this world simply isn't full of seven foot tall Amazon women who can bench-press any man. Not all women are militant, foaming-at-the-mouth feminazis. You're experience with women must be very limited...either that, or you have very bad taste in women. Your continual reliance upon subjectivity in how women should be treated points to some fantasy world that has no tangibility, unless you can show me, or name for me an objective standard upon which you rely for your basis of comparison.
I am failing to understand how my idea that women and men should be treated equally and not be held to a different standard has anything to do with amazon women or feminazis.

What exactly do you want? Do you want women to have the freedom to walk into the bathroom when you're standing at the urinal, doing your business? Just how equal do you want them? Where's the limit. What are the distinctions? You've got to paint a consistent, concrete portrait if you want people to take you more seriously.
I could care less if bathrooms were single sex. My favorite are the urinals in Amsterdam that pop out of the sidewalk after dark. Freaking genius.
I do not see any reason for women to be treated differently than men. In any situation.

What Christians say that they're following Abrahamic tradition? I certainly don't. We admire his faith. None of us can say how he treated his wives. We weren't there. We didn't do some pseudo-scientific, psychological study of his family. So, what's your point? You appear to be assuming something into the mix that you can't possibly know for sure. Just because those groups claim they've patterned themselves after Abraham doesn't mean that they've patterned themselves after EVERY ASPECT of that man's life.

Abraham didn't go around forcing people, at the tip of a sword, to convert to his beliefs, islam has and still does. Just go and visit the far reaches of Jordan sometime, and see for yourself. Sarah was so taken with her husband Abraham that she willingly called him lord. That speaks of her being humble of heart and spirit, as opposed to the unattractive, buck-toothed Amazon in curlers who wants euqal or more authority than a man.
See the above response on Abrahamic traditions.

And your fear is starting to show in your choice of words. 'unattractive, buuck-toothed Amazon in curlers' and 'more authority than a man' are pejorative terms that really demonstrate that you are concerned about loosing your own personal authority than about what is right.

I dare say that you'd prefer men friends who are humble and loving than course, rough and indifferent, unless you're of that personality yourself. I'm a tall, powerfully built, muscular brute, who has a countenance that's very intimidating, and yet my heart is tender and loving. I hurt nobody intentionally. So, again, what's your point?
Not really sure what your point is here.

Do you actually think that all the women in such groups are captives, that they want out, and that they dislike their circumstances? I don't condone the obvious abuses, but all you've done is subjectively assume into your portrait a world filled with thoughts and emotions that simply don't represent the complete reality all around us. You'd have to be deity to see into the minds and hearts of all those people. You carry a label that identifies you as not believing in deity. Are you now laying claim for yourself such power?
Brainwashing and indoctrination are powerful things. It is amazing what you can get people to tolerate if that is all you give them.

When's the last time you saw a budhist or mormon state that muslim women need to dress more sexy? Come on! What are you talking about? Why not over to Saudi Arabia, Egypt, or Sudan and tell those naughy men to stop treating their women with such brutish inequality? If you're tha objective ambassador as to how all women should be treated, then why not start your own crusade? There are many men out there who are treated with disregard for decency and equity. What about them? India is chocked full of a culture that looks down upon the lower, poor class as being less than human. Why not DO somrthing about it?
I do not have the power. I do, however, donate money to various organizations that do assist in these things.

What those men do is completely beyond my control, and they have nothing to do with me or Christianity. They can claim to own the moon, but that doesn't make it true.

The Bible makes no such claims. So, what's your point in relation to us?

There's two sides to this coin: Two nothings still equal nothing. You've made claims about a group that has no way of being verified, given that no man alive today has a record of exactly how Abraham interacted with this wives, and how he treated them, and you've painted a fairly inaccurate portrait of groups with which you've obviously spent no time with, and made no effort to truly get to know. Come here and spend time with my faily before you paint us with your subjective coloring from that broad brush of yours.

BTW&DM
Please note you have continues to attack my position without providing supporting arguments for your own position.

Upvote 0