Country
United States
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I am curious what brought this up before I answer. I have a gut feeling I know what this is about.:eek:
It's not a conspiracy Jim. It's a simple question.

Does God have the ability to lie?

I'm just curious to see what people think.

Upvote 0

JimfromOhio

Life of Trials :)
Feb 7, 2004
Central Ohio
✟60,248.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
It's not a conspiracy Jim. It's a simple question.

I'm just curious to see what people think.

Let me rephrase then.

What made you set up this question? What was the main purpose?

Upvote 0

probinson

Legend
Aug 16, 2005
PA
Visit site
✟135,518.00
Country
United States
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Let me rephrase then.

What made you set up this question? What was the main purpose?
OK then, let me try again. Ahem.....

"I'm just curious to see what people think."

Good grief. It's a simple question. Answer it. Or don't. :doh:

Upvote 0

JimfromOhio

Feb 7, 2004
Central Ohio
✟60,248.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
OK then, let me try again. Ahem.....

"I'm just curious to see what people think."

Good grief. It's a simple question. Answer it. Or don't. :doh:

AHHH curious..... Whatever the reasons, only God knows but I will answer. No, God don't lie but He can postpone His promise according to His will.

Hebrews 6:13-20 When God made his promise to Abraham, since there was no one greater for him to swear by, he swore by himself, saying, "I will surely bless you and give you many descendants." And so after waiting patiently, Abraham received what was promised. Men swear by someone greater than themselves, and the oath confirms what is said and puts an end to all argument. Because God wanted to make the unchanging nature of his purpose very clear to the heirs of what was promised, he confirmed it with an oath.God did this so that, by two unchangeable things in which it is impossible for God to lie, we who have fled to take hold of the hope offered to us may be greatly encouraged. We have this hope as an anchor for the soul, firm and secure. It enters the inner sanctuary behind the curtain, where Jesus, who went before us, has entered on our behalf. He has become a high priest forever, in the order of Melchizedek.

Titus 1:1-4
Paul, a servant of God and an apostle of Jesus Christ for the faith of God's elect and the knowledge of the truth that leads to godliness— a faith and knowledge resting on the hope of eternal life, which God, who does not lie, promised before the beginning of time, and at his appointed season he brought his word to light through the preaching entrusted to me by the command of God our Savior, To Titus, my true son in our common faith: Grace and peace from God the Father and Christ Jesus our Savior.

Example of GREAT Faiths in Hebrews, Chapter 11:39-40
These were all commended for their faith, yet none of them received what had been promised. God had planned something better for us so that only together with us would they be made perfect.

Upvote 0

JimB

Legend
Jul 12, 2004
Nacogdoches, Texas
Visit site
✟34,757.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Interesting question.

IMO, God has the “ability” to do anything. I think the better question would be “Would God lie?” Since that is contrary to His nature, I don’t believe He would … but I would not say He “couldn’t”.

~Jim

Reactions: Beauty4Ashes
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

JimB

Legend
Jul 12, 2004
Nacogdoches, Texas
Visit site
✟34,757.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

To say that we have the “ability” to lie but God doesn’t gives us an edge over God. We have freewill, but He doesn’t. We have more ability than God. That sounds ludicrous, doesn’t it? Probably because it is (IMO).

I said “Yes” but my faith/trust in Him knows He will not lie.

~Jim

Upvote 0

JimB

Legend
Jul 12, 2004
Nacogdoches, Texas
Visit site
✟34,757.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
1 John 1:5 This is the message we have heard from him and declare to you: God is light; in him there is no darkness at all.

God do not have the ability to lie since He HATES sin.

But, Jim, that scripture does not say he can’t lie, it simply says that it is not God’s nature to lie. In Him there is no darkness at all.

~Jim

Upvote 0

JimfromOhio

Feb 7, 2004
Central Ohio
✟60,248.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian

But, Jim, that scripture does not say he can’t lie, it simply says that it is not God’s nature to lie. In Him there is no darkness at all.

~Jim

Okay.. it is not God's nature to lie. Does that means He don't know how to lie or He can can't lie?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

JimfromOhio

Feb 7, 2004
Central Ohio
✟60,248.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian

How can we believe “with God all things are possible” and say there is something that it is impossible for God to do?

~Jim

God can't sin but He allows sin to happen according to His will and plan. Its tricky. I have learned this the hard way.

Upvote 0

JimB

Legend
Jul 12, 2004
Nacogdoches, Texas
Visit site
✟34,757.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
God can't sin but He allows sin to happen according to His will and plan. Its tricky. I have learned this the hard way.

That begs a question (that might make an interesting thread): Could Jesus have sinned? If not, then what was all that business with the Temptation in the Wilderness?

~Jim

Upvote 0

probinson

Legend
Aug 16, 2005
PA
Visit site
✟135,518.00
Country
United States
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
To say that we have the “ability” to lie but God doesn’t gives us an edge over God. We have freewill, but He doesn’t. We have more ability than God. That sounds ludicrous, doesn’t it? Probably because it is (IMO).

I said “Yes” but my faith/trust in Him knows He will not lie.

~Jim
That is only true if you presume that we can somehow lie to God. I can lie to you, and that doesn't in any way give me an edge over God.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.