Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
We are told that God is our Abba, our Father. HE is our comfort. HE is a remedy for forlorn-ness and grief, and all that befalls us, His children. I RUN to Him, i climb on His lap, i lay my weary head on His chest, and He quiets me with His love. Jesus the Christ made it possible to run straight to Abba as a little child...and indeed, HE runs to US...and picks us up, and rejoices over us with singing, just as the father is in the Prodigal son, so is our Abba...He rejoices, He sings, His joy is OURS.

He is NOT distant, for that distance was bridged by Jesus. It's a gap God NEVER wanted in the first place. He wants to BE with us, rejoice over us, make HIS joy OURS.

Praise His name, Who IS the COMFORTER and LIFTER of our heads.

Amen.

Upvote 0

gideon army

Am the Righteousness to GOD IN Christ by Faith
Dec 3, 2009
This Side of Heaven
✟8,599.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Jesus rebuked the religious leaders of his day for their hypocritical actions, not for genuinely trying to come to a better understanding of God and of the Hebrew scriptures.

Dearly Beloved of our Lord's- Evenstar,

Point Taken, then any chance you missed out this?

Mark 10:17 Now as He was going out on the road, one came running, knelt before Him, and asked Him, "Good Teacher, what shall I do that I may inherit eternal life?"

If you read the whole context of this scripture from Mark 10:17-22 then you'll know that this man was Sincere/ Genuinely asking Christ-correct? Then contrast with Luke's Account:-

Luke 18:18 Now a certain ruler asked Him, saying, "Good Teacher, what shall I do to inherit eternal life?"

May i say that in both Mark's & Luke's account, this chap (Ruler of the Synagogue) was really earnestly sincerely genuinely asking our Lord right?
Unlike many others who were out to Test Christ & hopping that Christ would let slip & they can persecute Him Lawfully.

Would it be accurate & correct for Christ to answer that bloke, 'Believe on me & you shall have eternal life'? However if you read both accounts, this bloke didn't acknowledge Christ as LORD but commented 'GOOD Teacher' & Christ replied him :-

Mark 10:18 So Jesus said to him, "Why do you call Me good? No one [is] good but One, [that is], God.

Luke 18:19 So Jesus said to him, "Why do you call Me good? No one [is] good but One, [that is], God.

Wouldn't you agree that from this Christ rightly answered Currectly? From this we can see clearly that there's No pope's/No bishops/No priests/ No pastors/No decons & so forth are holy Except GOD is GOOD & Holy?

The above Bloke came to Christ Not (1) Acknowledge Christ as LORD & Boasted of his efforts by asking 'What Must I DO' Hence Christ gave him the 10 Commandments which ultimately showed to the bloke he's not capable in Loving thy Lord/Thy GOd with all thy heart by holding all his money :)

Please contrast above with Romans Chapter 7:24

O wretched man that I am! Who will deliver me from this body of death?

If you read the whole chapter, Apostle Paul was at his wits ends for he found out that the 10 commandments were given by GOD not to Justify men but to Condemn hence Paul asked WHO instead of what must i do

Now, hope that satisfy your & that of others curiosities & the only Ruler/ Scribe that Christ didn't rebuke is Nicodemus ;)

Yo, that's 1 of of THOUSANDS which the tribe of Levi (helpers to the Priests of those days) & not to mention those Scribes/ Theologiens/ Pharisees & so forth/

Upvote 0

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Jesus rebuked the religious leaders of his day for their hypocritical actions, not for genuinely trying to come to a better understanding of God and of the Hebrew scriptures.

they did not love God.

Upvote 0

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Originally Posted by brinny
they did not love God.

That is why Jesus called them a pit of vipers. They were the epitome of what God spews from His mouth and why Jesus called them white sepulchers and said they were of their father the devil.

They were the antithesis of the description Jesus gave about needing to be as a little child to enter the kingdom of heaven. And characteristics of children are that they have their hearts on their sleeves, and they accept love soooo readily, like a sponge.....and they have no guile.

God, finds these characteristics endearing. This possibly is what is meant by loving God with all our hearts, minds, souls, and all of our might...as a little child would do....before the child "grows up" so to speak, and "analyzes" it all, and replaces analyzing ideas about God rather than just embracing God as Abba, Father, as a little child would do.

Upvote 0

sk8Joyful

Aug 23, 2005
✟28,800.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Hi fellow Calvinists,
Do you believe God has emotions?
thanks.
questions are limited to only 'calvinists'?

Of course! :) God has emotions; how else do you think He created us, His children, with the CHOICE :thumbsup: to experience... 100's+ emotions

Last edited:
Upvote 0

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Also, theologians, etc. certainly aren't innately holier than anyone else (although some would like to think so). However, I can't see that as justification to throw 2,000 years of scholarship out the window.

Only God is holy. None are righteous, not one.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Evenstar253

somewhere else
Feb 3, 2009
PA
✟16,728.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
That is why Jesus called them a pit of vipers. They were the epitome of what God spews from His mouth and why Jesus called them white sepulchers and said they were of their father the devil.

They were the antithesis of the description Jesus gave about needing to be as a little child to enter the kingdom of heaven. And characteristics of children are that they have their hearts on their sleeves, and they accept love soooo readily, like a sponge.....and they have no guile.

God, finds these characteristics endearing. This possibly is what is meant by loving God with all our hearts, minds, souls, and all of our might...as a little child would do....before the child "grows up" so to speak, and "analyzes" it all, and replaces analyzing ideas about God rather than just embracing God as Abba, Father, as a little child would do.

I still stand by my earlier statement that Jesus rebuked the religious leaders for the contradictions between their words and their actions toward others, not for their interest in scholarship and theology.

Upvote 0

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution

Even that doesn't mean that we should ignore the scholarship of both classical and modern theologians.

God is the focus. We exist for His glory, not ours.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

DD2008

Oct 3, 2008
Texas
✟8,121.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Dearly Beloved DD2008,

Regardless of Denominational 'Doctrines', believe you'll & ALL reading will agree that the BIBLE (GOD's Breath) is THE ONLY AUTHORITY on the Things of GOD?

We as Presbyterians rest firmly on the word of God. All of it.

If you want to complain about our doctrine please do so in your own forum. Here you can ask questions but not hound us with your misunderstandings and biases in debate.

Upvote 0

DD2008

Oct 3, 2008
Texas
✟8,121.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married

These are basic and clear reformed doctrines that are included in our understanding of the sovereignty and immutability of God. They are included in the first catechisms we give to children.

Why is your opinion of us so low that you are trying to teach us things in our own forum that our denomination teaches solidly?

I think your mistaken perception of reformed theology has led you to make this error.

Upvote 0

DD2008

Oct 3, 2008
Texas
✟8,121.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
He is NOT distant, for that distance was bridged by Jesus. It's a gap God NEVER wanted in the first place. He wants to BE with us, rejoice over us, make HIS joy OURS.

The biblical revelation that God is immutable does in no way teach that he is distant. It teaches that he is PERFECT. The bible also teaches that God is sovereign. That he works ALL THINGS according to the council of his will. He always gets what he wants. His purposes are different than ours but his plan is perfect. The way God has planned things is the best way that things could be.

Is the perfection of God not taught in your non-denominationional church? I don't understand how you guys could have missed that part of the bible.

Upvote 0

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution

These are basic and clear reformed doctrines that are included in our understanding of the sovereignty and immutability of God. They are included in the first catechisms we give to children.

Why is your opinion of us so low that you are trying to teach us things in our own forum that our denomination teaches solidly?

I think your mistaken perception of reformed theology has led you to make this error.

What i posted is written in His Word, brother in Christ.

Upvote 0

DD2008

Oct 3, 2008
Texas
✟8,121.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
What i posted is written in His Word, brother in Christ.

What I posted is his written word as well. Have you ever considered that it is not possible for God to contradict himself? Reading the bible with the understandig that it is inspired by God, therefore inerrant, therefore infallible, and knowing that truth that it cannot be contradictory is how we get systematic biblical theology? Most know it as Reformed Theology. That is what we call Calvinism.

Upvote 0