Does God even love certain people who were "mistakes"?

Chris04

Aug 6, 2021
Atlanta
✟21,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
My mother, who is a spiritual woman, has always talked about God's free will with humanity. One of the things she talks about is how some people have children that they weren't really supposed to have, which is part of God's "free will". So my question is this: Does God even care about the children who weren't really supposed to be brought into this world? Does he even cover their life? Does he even love them? I just don't see why I should follow a God who doesn't love certain people who weren't supposed to be brought into the world, but "they're here anyways", as my mother puts it. My grandmother is a minister, and I don't know about her views and beliefs on this subject matter.

My uncle is an example of this. His father isn't exactly a good person, and he has some bad genes that were passed down to him. So as a result, he doesn't act right sometimes. My mother has even said that "his mother should have aborted him when she had the chance", and that "some people really do have demon children". I feel like I'm mildly one of those children, since my depression started back in 2019 when my stepfather moved in with me and my mom, and he started to "toughen" me up since I was having attitudes left and right, even with my own mother. It was a really rough process, and it started my depression and suicidal ideation. It did make me tougher, and I stopped having attitudes, but I feel like that was one of the prices I had to pay for being my dad's son. Even my stepfather picked on me for being my dad's son a few times. He doesn't do it anymore though.

I was 15 at the time, which isn't an excuse, but yeah. My dad said that he had a lot of attitudes as well, and I feel like God is punishing me for being my father's son. My grandmother hates my dad since she had to watch her own daughter suffer mentally at the hands of him. He wasn't abusive in any way, but he left me and my mom when I was 2, when caused my mother great stress since she had to work at night-shift corporate jobs.

It really makes me not even want to be alive anymore, since what's the point of living life when I'm already a mistake, and I feel like God views me as one of those "mistake" children, like my uncle. I don't know, can anyone shed some light on this so I know the decision I have to make in the near future? Because if it isn't meant for me to be alive, then I might as well do what I have to do.

Reactions: FPhelps

Lost Witness

Ezekiel 3:3 ("Change")
Nov 10, 2022
New York
✟97,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
EVERY Child Born is a GIFT from GOD.
Everyone was Planned Before the Foundations of Creation.
EVERYONE.
You have always been Planned, Period.
I was Born out of wedlock, wasn't planned by my biological parents.
But was Planned By GOD.
So weren't YOU.
My Suggestion,
Get into the WORD,
PRAY ALWAYS OVER EVERYTHING.
Remember.. You are Loved, Brother.
The enemy Has convinced you otherwise.

Upvote 0

Petros2015

Jun 23, 2016
undisclosed Bunker
✟290,062.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
My mother, who is a spiritual woman, has always talked about God's free will with humanity. One of the things she talks about is how some people have children that they weren't really supposed to have, which is part of God's "free will". So my question is this: Does God even care about the children who weren't really supposed to be brought into this world?

That's unsound. If we're here and open to being used by God for good and His glory, He is open to having us.
If we're not, then it doesn't really matter whether we were "meant to be here" or not.
The offer to be born again of the Spirit in the gospel of John, 1st Chapter -

9 The true light that gives light to everyone was coming into the world. 10 He was in the world, and though the world was made through him, the world did not recognize him. 11 He came to that which was his own, but his own did not receive him. 12 Yet to all who did receive him, to those who believed in his name, he gave the right to become children of God— 13 children born not of natural descent, nor of human decision or a husband’s will, but born of God.

That's for you buddy. Whether someone has told you you were "meant to be here" or not

• Agree
Reactions: Sabertooth
Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,454.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Nobody is a mistake.

Nobody.

The love of God is for every person, each and every single person. God cares about each sparrow, each ant in its colony, each blade of grass in the field. He cares about you, He loves you, He sent Christ for you. He knew you and loved you from before the world began.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

DialecticSkeptic

Reformed
Jul 21, 2022
Vancouver
✟45,992.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
My mother, who is a spiritual woman, has always talked about ... how some people have children that they weren't really supposed to have, which is part of God's "free will." So, my question is this: Does God even care about the children who weren't really supposed to be brought into this world? Does he even cover their life? Does he even love them?

As suggested by @Lost Witness, any child who was born was supposed to be brought into this world. Even if he was not intended by his parents, he was definitely intended by and under the providential care of a God of love—and so were you.

P.S. I am very sorry to hear about your experiences with your step-father.

Upvote 0

Diamond7

YEC, OEC, GAP, TE - Dispensationalist.
Nov 23, 2022
Akron
✟72,096.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Does God even care about the children who weren't really supposed to be brought into this world?
There are a limited number of combinations of DNA. Psalm 139:16 tells us that God writes the book of our life at or before conception. We have all of our gifts, talents, and abilities. We need to use what we have to bring praise, honor, and glory to God. Before the Civil war, women were expected to have four or five babies by the time they are in their 20s. Then there was assigned the task of cooking, cleaning, and taking care of babies. I do hear people say they feel as if they have inherited some of the trauma of their ancestors. So some of that does seem to go from generating to generation. But God loves all and he has a plan for all. That is what redemption is all about. So we are told that all things work together for good. For those who love God and are called according to His purpose. (Romans 8:28) We decide if we are going to live our lives in a way to bring praise, honor, and glory to God. The problem is the high rate of single parents and God's plan is for a man and woman to become husband and wife to raise the children together. The success rate is over 80% for people that are raised in a proper family. Under 50% for those that come from broken families.

I was a single parent for 12 years and I struggles with this question for many years. My son was grateful for the opportunity he had to live the life he did. It was as if he were my best friend. He was a wonderful person. Recently I got an email from his mom and she wanted to tell me that she feels rotten she abandoned him the way that she did. But I am sure they are reconciled and she will to Heaven and everyone gets along there.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lukaris
Upvote 0

Strong in Him

Great is thy faithfulness
Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,054,030.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
My mother, who is a spiritual woman, has always talked about God's free will with humanity. One of the things she talks about is how some people have children that they weren't really supposed to have, which is part of God's "free will". So my question is this: Does God even care about the children who weren't really supposed to be brought into this world?
Yes, because even if the parents had not intended to have them, God knew they would be born.
My youngest brother wasn't planned - equally loved, but my parents hadn't intended to have him.
Does he even cover their life? Does he even love them?
Yes, and definitely yes.

I just don't see why I should follow a God who doesn't love certain people who weren't supposed to be brought into the world, but "they're here anyways", as my mother puts it.
No reason at all why you should.
But God isn't like that; Jesus said that he is a perfect heavenly Father.

My uncle is an example of this. His father isn't exactly a good person, and he has some bad genes that were passed down to him. So as a result, he doesn't act right sometimes. My mother has even said that "his mother should have aborted him when she had the chance", and that "some people really do have demon children".
I don't believe that. I don't believe any child is born evil, and I don't believe that we have "bad genes" which are passed down.

We are all a mixture of our personalities, our backgrounds and the way we are brought up.
Some people are abused as children, and grow up to abuse because that is what they know. Other people are abused as children, deal with, or work their way through the trauma, and go on to work with abused children, or found charities which help those who are abused.
Some people have parents who are alcoholics, grow up believing that drink is the answer to every problem/emotional hurt and copy what they know. Others have parents who were alcoholics, become tee total and help those who have drink problems.
Some children are told, by parents, teachers or maybe both, "you'll never be any good", believe it and don't even bother to try so that they won't fail. Others are told that they will never be any good, think "I'll show you" and go on to get good exam results and jobs.
It is quite hard for someone who's never been shown love and encouragement, to give it - but anyone who is in Christ is a NEW creation. Jesus can make all people new.

I feel like I'm mildly one of those children, since my depression started back in 2019 when my stepfather moved in with me and my mom, and he started to "toughen" me up since I was having attitudes left and right, even with my own mother. It was a really rough process, and it started my depression and suicidal ideation. It did make me tougher, and I stopped having attitudes, but I feel like that was one of the prices I had to pay for being my dad's son. Even my stepfather picked on me for being my dad's son a few times. He doesn't do it anymore though.

I'm very sorry to hear that - but none of that was your fault.
Your step-father was the one with the problem. It sounds like he couldn't accept your mother's children for who they were - children of another man.
If you were told that it was wrong to be yourself, and that someone else was punishing you for being who you were, it's not surprising you became depressed. Have you been able to talk to anyone about this?
It really makes me not even want to be alive anymore, since what's the point of living life when I'm already a mistake, and I feel like God views me as one of those "mistake" children, like my uncle. I don't know, can anyone shed some light on this so I know the decision I have to make in the near future?

You're not a mistake to God - he doesn't make mistakes.
He gives life to all, and if he really hadn't wanted you to be born, you wouldn't have been.
Because if it isn't meant for me to be alive, then I might as well do what I have to do.
You ARE alive.
Your parents are/were not greater than God. If you "weren't meant" to be alive, you wouldn't have been born. Psalm 139 applies to you just as much as anyone else - God saw you growing in the womb before you were born, he formed, made and planned you. James 1:18 says that he CHOSE to give us birth. That means everyone; including you.

When you say, "I might as well do what I have to do", it sounds as though you might be thinking of ending your life.
Please don't.
You might not be able to hear, or accept, what I and others have been saying - due to depression, or a lifetime of being conditioned to believe that you are not worth it. You are.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Miles

Student of Life
Mar 6, 2005
USA
✟382,597.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I sometimes think of God as an author and people as characters that he creates. It seems to me that God loves the 'bad guys' too. He wants to see them turn away from their sinful ways of course, and put their faith in him so they can be reconciled. He hates it when they don't, but when they do he's overjoyed! That's coming from a place of love in my opinion.

Genes are the hardware. Kind of like a car, whereas our minds are more like the car's driver. Whether one drives a minivan or a muscle car isn't the issue. They have different strengths and weaknesses, but neither is inherently good or bad. A muscle car can be used to flee the scene of a crime, for instance, but it can also be used to win races on race track or trophies at car shows. What we do with our genetic hardware is up to us.

Upvote 0

Chris04

Aug 6, 2021
Atlanta
✟21,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Yes, because even if the parents had not intended to have them, God knew they would be born.
My youngest brother wasn't planned - equally loved, but my parents hadn't intended to have him.

Yes, and definitely yes.

No reason at all why you should.
But God isn't like that; Jesus said that he is a perfect heavenly Father.

I don't believe that. I don't believe any child is born evil, and I don't believe that we have "bad genes" which are passed down.

We are all a mixture of our personalities, our backgrounds and the way we are brought up.
Some people are abused as children, and grow up to abuse because that is what they know. Other people are abused as children, deal with, or work their way through the trauma, and go on to work with abused children, or found charities which help those who are abused.
Some people have parents who are alcoholics, grow up believing that drink is the answer to every problem/emotional hurt and copy what they know. Others have parents who were alcoholics, become tee total and help those who have drink problems.
Some children are told, by parents, teachers or maybe both, "you'll never be any good", believe it and don't even bother to try so that they won't fail. Others are told that they will never be any good, think "I'll show you" and go on to get good exam results and jobs.
It is quite hard for someone who's never been shown love and encouragement, to give it - but anyone who is in Christ is a NEW creation. Jesus can make all people new.

I'm very sorry to hear that - but none of that was your fault.
Your step-father was the one with the problem. It sounds like he couldn't accept your mother's children for who they were - children of another man.
If you were told that it was wrong to be yourself, and that someone else was punishing you for being who you were, it's not surprising you became depressed. Have you been able to talk to anyone about this?

You're not a mistake to God - he doesn't make mistakes.
He gives life to all, and if he really hadn't wanted you to be born, you wouldn't have been.

You ARE alive.
Your parents are/were not greater than God. If you "weren't meant" to be alive, you wouldn't have been born. Psalm 139 applies to you just as much as anyone else - God saw you growing in the womb before you were born, he formed, made and planned you. James 1:18 says that he CHOSE to give us birth. That means everyone; including you.

When you say, "I might as well do what I have to do", it sounds as though you might be thinking of ending your life.
Please don't.
You might not be able to hear, or accept, what I and others have been saying - due to depression, or a lifetime of being conditioned to believe that you are not worth it. You are.
This was all I needed to read right here. Every time I have those negative feelings and thoughts, I'll come back to this very comment. Thank you so much, God bless you!!

Upvote 0

RoBo1988

Sep 3, 2021
Dayton OH
✟93,627.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Psalm 51:5 Even King David was "shapen in iniquity" Perhaps, he once thought of himself as a "mistake", too. People that the world, and even Christians look at as "not a good person" are sheep without a shepherd Matthew 9:36 , or sheep following the hireling John 10:12 . Jesus has compassion on them, and calls us to follow Him.

People aren't mistakes. God has a place for them in His Kingdom. Ephesians 2:10 God has ordained you, before you were even born to serve Him.

Last edited:
Reactions: Strong in Him
Upvote 0

msufan

Jul 12, 2005
Michigan
Visit site
✟21,282.00
Faith
Non-Denom
God actually seems to take special pleasure in the misfits, the broken, and the underdogs.

It reminds me of the old Audio Adrenaline song (this part begins at 2:10 in this video):

"“Underdog. I wince every time I say the word, especially in connection with Jesus. Yet, as I read the birth story about Jesus, I cannot help but conclude that, although the world may be tilted toward the rich and powerful, God – hallelujah, in his mercy – is tilted toward the underdog.”

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Diamond7

YEC, OEC, GAP, TE - Dispensationalist.
Nov 23, 2022
Akron
✟72,096.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
My mother has even said that "his mother should have aborted him when she had the chance", and that "some people really do have demon children". I feel like I'm mildly one of those children, since my depression started back in 2019
People need to be careful what they say. They do not understand the power of the tongue. We are to bless and not curse. We are to be positive and not negative. If you want to be depressed think negatively. If you want to overcome depression think positive thoughts. We need to bring every thought captive to the obedience of Christ.

2 Corinthians 10:5

Upvote 0

biblelesson

Jun 11, 2021
College Park
✟72,763.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
My mother, who is a spiritual woman, has always talked about God's free will with humanity. One of the things she talks about is how some people have children that they weren't really supposed to have, which is part of God's "free will". So my question is this: Does God even care about the children who weren't really supposed to be brought into this world? Does he even cover their life? Does he even love them? I just don't see why I should follow a God who doesn't love certain people who weren't supposed to be brought into the world, but "they're here anyways", as my mother puts it. My grandmother is a minister, and I don't know about her views and beliefs on this subject matter.

My uncle is an example of this. His father isn't exactly a good person, and he has some bad genes that were passed down to him. So as a result, he doesn't act right sometimes. My mother has even said that "his mother should have aborted him when she had the chance", and that "some people really do have demon children". I feel like I'm mildly one of those children, since my depression started back in 2019 when my stepfather moved in with me and my mom, and he started to "toughen" me up since I was having attitudes left and right, even with my own mother. It was a really rough process, and it started my depression and suicidal ideation. It did make me tougher, and I stopped having attitudes, but I feel like that was one of the prices I had to pay for being my dad's son. Even my stepfather picked on me for being my dad's son a few times. He doesn't do it anymore though.

I was 15 at the time, which isn't an excuse, but yeah. My dad said that he had a lot of attitudes as well, and I feel like God is punishing me for being my father's son. My grandmother hates my dad since she had to watch her own daughter suffer mentally at the hands of him. He wasn't abusive in any way, but he left me and my mom when I was 2, when caused my mother great stress since she had to work at night-shift corporate jobs.

It really makes me not even want to be alive anymore, since what's the point of living life when I'm already a mistake, and I feel like God views me as one of those "mistake" children, like my uncle. I don't know, can anyone shed some light on this so I know the decision I have to make in the near future? Because if it isn't meant for me to be alive, then I might as well do what I have to do.
You are going to have to come to terms that your mother is not speaking spiritual, and her comments are not influenced by God. You will have to at some point reject her statements and see them as false. So now the question comes into play as to who will you accept. You are faced with Matthew 10:37, “He that loveth father or mother more than me is not worthy of me: and he that loveth son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me.”

Reactions: Chris04
Upvote 0

Chris04

Aug 6, 2021
Atlanta
✟21,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
You are going to have to come to terms that your mother is not speaking spiritual, and her comments are not influenced by God. You will have to at some point reject her statements and see them as false. So now the question comes into play as to who will you accept. You are faced with Matthew 10:37, “He that loveth father or mother more than me is not worthy of me: and he that loveth son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me.”
Oh wow. When I read the part of Matthew 10:37 just now, it gave me closure. Thank you so much for that, this really explained a lot to me. I'm realizing now that I've put my mother above God, and I really need to stop doing that.

• Agree
Reactions: Sabertooth
Upvote 0