Southeast
✟552,407.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
All prayers from who? I think he only answers specific prayers.

example:

Proverbs 28:9 ESV
If one turns away his ear from hearing the law, even his prayer is an abomination.

John 9:31 ESV
We know that God does not listen to sinners, but if anyone is a worshiper of God and does his will, God listens to him.

Proverbs 15:29 ESV
Yahweh is far from the wicked, but he hears the prayer of the righteous.

Psalm 145:18 ESV
Yahweh is near to all who call on him, to all who call on him in truth.

Upvote 0

2BeholdHisGlory

Still on vacation!
Mar 20, 2021
Outer Space
✟11,791.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Anything according to His will (not according to our lusts)

1John 5:14-15 And this is the confidence that we have in him, that, if we ask any thing according to his will, he heareth us: And if we know that he hear us, whatsoever we ask, we know that we have the petitions that we desired of him.

And because we keep his commandments

1John 3:22 And whatsoever we ask, we receive of him, because we keep his commandments, and do those things that are pleasing in his sight.

Just as it speaks of the effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much also.

Upvote 0

Mark Quayle

Monergist; and by reputation, Reformed Calvinist
Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟788,336.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
Upvote 0

Bobber

Feb 10, 2004
✟215,955.00
Faith
Non-Denom
What are your thoughts on this?
Well of course God doesn't answer all prayers. It'd go against his nature to do so.

I heard a story once of a bank robber that got caught and he later claimed he just couldn't understand it. He prayed that God would help him but he didn't.

So most certain God doesn't answer ALL prayers.

I will say this though. God wants to and longs to make himself real and answer and do many things for people that they never may think he would, BUT...they don't come to him, ask, seek knock or pray. I think God might say this to all of us in a measure but in the next world I'm thinking God might say I would have done so much, so much, so much more for you but you didn't invite me to be involved. Even in little things.

Jesus said,

Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you: For every one that asketh receiveth; and he that seeketh findeth; and to him that knocketh it shall be opened. Or what man is there of you, whom if his son ask bread, will he give him a stone? Or if he ask a fish, will he give him a serpent? If ye then, being evil, know how to give good gifts unto your children, how much more shall your Father which is in heaven give good things to them that ask him? Matt 7:7-9

So Jesus came and revealed the heart of the Father to humanity and look to what measure Jesus went in expressing this in Matt 7....three different ways! (ask, seek and knock) He could have said it one way but nope...THREE WAYS. Jesus intent must really to seek to get across, "Look God really, really is SERIOUS about this! He loves you and wants to be a good Heavenly Father!" And the verse above makes one thing clear.....make sure you don't fall into thinking you're more loving to your children then God is to his! If we do think that way it's because we've allowed our minds to be deceived.

God also encouraged and exhorted us to come BOLDLY to the throne of grace to receive grace and mercy to help in time of need. Heb 4:16 We may not feel like doing that we might feel it's even disrespectful to do so but really though....this is what he wants and longs for us to do. We can be bold or have absolute strong confidence before God because of the precious blood of Jesus which has made us the very righteousness of God in Christ. Always keep in mind God does not, does not see us after the flesh....but after the Spirit, that is in our place In Christ. And as God the Father sees us In Christ, and that's the way he chooses to see us, we even hear the stunning words of Jesus, that the Father loves us just as much as he loves Jesus, so take heart. Believe what God is saying about these matters not what your natural mind would want to think.

“I in them, and You in Me, that they may be made perfect in one, and that the world may know that You have sent Me, and HAVE LOVED THEM AS YOU HAVE LOVED ME.”
JOHN 17:23

Reactions: Mark Quayle
Upvote 0

Sabertooth

Repartee Animal: Quipping the Saints!
Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟958,893.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
He prayed that God would help him but he didn't.
God DID answer and help him. He revealed His position on bank robbery in no uncertain terms. ;)

Reactions: Bobber
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟79,556.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
I like this:

Matthew 6
9After this manner therefore pray ye: Our Father which art in heaven, Hallowed be thy name.
10Thy kingdom come. Thy will be done in earth, as it is in heaven.

James 1
5If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him. 6But
let him ask in faith, nothing wavering. For he that wavereth is like a wave of the sea driven with the wind and tossed. 7For let not that man think that he shall receive any thing of the Lord. 8A double minded man is unstable in all his ways.

Upvote 0

Saint Steven

You can call me Steve
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
✟930,116.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
@AubreyM --- Does God Answer all prayers?

Are you defining "answer" as a "Yes"?
Of course all prayers are not answered as "Yes".

Best advice on prayer: Don't present God with the solution you dreamed up. Present God with the problem and let him provide the solution.

I have a card that I keep in front of my computer keyboard that reads: Turn It Over to God.

Upvote 0

Saint Steven

You can call me Steve
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
✟930,116.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
@AubreyM --- Does God Answer all prayers?

Are you defining "answer" as a "Yes"?
Of course all prayers are not answered as "Yes".

Best advice on prayer: Don't present God with the solution you dreamed up. Present God with the problem and let him provide the solution.

I have a card that I keep in front of my computer keyboard that reads: Turn It Over to God.
Reminds me of this gem.

Unanswered Prayers by Garth Brooks (Lyrics Video)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Lost4words

Jesus I Trust In You
Site Supporter
May 19, 2018
Neath, Wales, UK
✟1,010,108.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
What are your thoughts on this?

What are your thoughts my friend?

God works in mysterious ways. He gives us what we 'need' which may not be what we actually want. Let God's will be done i say.

Upvote 0

topher694

Go Turtle!
Jan 29, 2019
St. Cloud, MN
✟186,960.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Yes.
He always answers in one of three ways,
  1. Here you go.
  2. No.
  3. Not yet.
The longer I'm around the more I think there is a 4th category when God responds to our prayers:
4. Huh?​

Upvote 0

2BeholdHisGlory

Still on vacation!
Mar 20, 2021
Outer Space
✟11,791.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I like this:

Matthew 6
9After this manner therefore pray ye: Our Father which art in heaven, Hallowed be thy name.
10Thy kingdom come. Thy will be done in earth, as it is in heaven.

James 1
5 If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him. 6But
let him ask in faith, nothing wavering. For he that wavereth is like a wave of the sea driven with the wind and tossed. 7For let not that man think that he shall receive any thing of the Lord. 8A double minded man is unstable in all his ways.

This one is a good one, and I would definately highlight the above, because it was specific as to what to ask God for when it come to His giving liberally to all and upbraiding them not (although one still must ask in faith). Likely because we all lack wisdom and so badly need it, its like throwing a dog a much needed bone.

This is something I had posted on before which I think is pretty cool.

God shows up and asks Solomon to ask WHAT I SHALL give thee (James speaks of asking and not receiving because one asks AMISS)

2Ch 1:7 In that night did God appear unto Solomon, and said unto him, Ask what I shall give thee.

Jesus says, ask that ye might receive and James indicates there was a problem with their asking of God and not receiving

James 4:3 Ye ask, and receive not, because ye ask amiss, that ye may consume it upon your lusts.

Whereas Solomon did not ask amiss and God responds (notice there is a "because" in both the above verse and the one below)

2Cr 1:1-2 God said to Solomon, Because this was in thine heart, and thou hast not asked riches, wealth, or honour, nor the life of thine enemies, neither yet hast asked long life; but hast asked wisdom and knowledge for thyself, that thou mayest judge my people, over whom I have made thee king Wisdom and knowledge is granted unto thee; and I will give thee riches, and wealth, and honour, such as none of the kings have had that have been before thee, neither shall there any after thee have the like.

And so as Solomon asked for wisdom as James encourages us to

James 1:5 If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him.

As Solomon did, God said, "Wisdom and knowledge is granted unto thee"

But God did add more liberally to what he asked (which he did not ask for) saying,

and I will give thee riches, and wealth, and honour etc...

So he has an increase in wisdom given to him and an increase of riches, the Psalm also says,

Psalm 62:10... IF riches increase, set not your heart upon them.

They are called "uncertain" for a reason, however is we ask according to his will

1John 5:14-15 And this is the confidence that we have in him, that, if we ask any thing according to his will, he heareth us: And if we know that he hear us, whatsoever we ask, we know that we have the petitions that we desired of him.

Upvote 0

2BeholdHisGlory

Still on vacation!
Mar 20, 2021
Outer Space
✟11,791.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
1 Peter 3:7 Speaks of husbands prayers being hindered

I wanted to add to this above what is posted in part concerning a husbands prayers here since it mirrors the same thing in Mal 2:13

The LORD's words to husbands here

Mal 2:13 And this have ye done again,
covering the altar of the LORD with tears, with weeping, and with crying out,
insomuch that he regardeth not the offering any more,
or receiveth it with good will at your hand.

Mal 2:14 Yet ye (the husbands) say, Wherefore?

Then He points out that He is a witness between the husband and the wife

Because the LORD hath been witness between thee and the wife of thy youth,
against whom thou hast dealt treacherously:

yet is she thy companion,
and the wife of thy covenant.

So the husbands have dealt treacherously against them

Whereas Paul says

Col 3:19 Husbands, love your wives, and be not bitter against them.

Peter likewise speaks to the treatment of ones wife as it relates to his own prayers being hindered (as a very possible cause)

Following through with Peters words to husbands

In Mal 2:13 ...The LORD acknowledges the tears of the husbands before his altar and all their cryings out unto Him and follows it up indicating a kind of silence from heaven thing going on between the two

The LORD says....he regardeth not the offering any more, nor receiveth it with good will at your hand in verse 13

And very specifically because of the treacherous treatment of the wife in verse 14.

Peter also seems to indicate the potential of the same thing occuring among them, saying...

1Peter 3:7 Likewise, ye husbands, dwell with them according to knowledge, giving honour unto the wife, as unto the weaker vessel, and as being heirs together of the grace of life; that your prayers be not hindered.

Which introduces the possibility that their prayers can be hindered as it relates to the dishounering of their own wives, the Lord being a witness between them.

Oftentime on forums awhile back there was alot of discussions on how husbands were the heads of their wives (which is not untrue) but would push their headship of the woman in more of an ultimate power type deal and in it forget they have a head.

And so He is making them (the husbands) accountable to their own head (in this situation). As the husband is head of her (the wife) one greater then the husband is alo the head of him and unto whom he is answerable. The negative result of being answerable is ironically "unanswered prayers" (or as Peter indicates the husbands prayers hindered) versus heaven opened.

So whether his own prayers go through (or heaven is shut up) the hinderance for husbands has to do with how the husband treats his own wife (the weaker vessel).

The wife then (or so it seems) has somewhat of a refuge from her own husband (by Him) as it doesnt seem like a husband will proceed any further if he does not check himself (in relation to her).

Which is sort of like a built in bargaining chip against his unchecked power (as it relates to proceeding any further with the Lord) as played (not by the wife) but of the Lord (and on her behalf).

Both places seem to mirror the same thing.

I have stated before I believe the husband's role is a far more difficult one. His role is held up to the standard of Jesus Christ, who is the head of the church. And just as Christ is unto the church (in his dying love for her) that same model is for the men as an example towards their own wives. Those are some mighty big shoes to fill (and all in the meekness of Christ).

Even as Christ was subject to His Father who said, I do always those things that please him

In respects to prayers which would apply equally to husbands, John says

1John 3:22 And whatsoever we ask, we receive of him, because we keep his commandments,
and do those things that are pleasing in his sight

Here is Jesus commandment

John 15:12 This is my commandment, That ye love one another, as I have loved you.

Which is includes Husbands towards their wives

Ephes 5:25 Husbands, love your wives, even as Christ also loved the church,
and gave himself for it;

That was too long I know, I actually trimmed it down and did not amount to a much shorter post.

• Winner
Reactions: 1 person
Upvote 0