Does faith require an object?

I

InkBlott

It is my opinion that faith is our ability to accept the truth or falsity of a proposition. As such it is not necessary for there to be a real world object "out there" for faith to exist. So long as a proposition exists there is faith.

I acknowledge that we can have faith in a mental object if we have some experiences or thoughts or perceptions to serve as reference points with which to indicate it. But what if our proposition contains an utterly undefined term? If I have no working definition for the term, if every definition I attempt only serves to deconstruct the concept or contradicts itself or trails off into silence, if my every experience, perception or thought exempts itself by its very nature from being a reference point, if all we can say about whatever it is, is that it's not this or its not that, then what? Can I have faith in it?

Upvote 0

Danhalen

Healing
Feb 13, 2005
Ohio
✟18,099.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I acknowledge that we can have faith in a mental object if we have some experiences or thoughts or perceptions to serve as reference points with which to indicate it. But what if our proposition contains an utterly undefined term? If I have no working definition for the term, if every definition I attempt only serves to deconstruct the concept or contradicts itself or trails off into silence, if my every experience, perception or thought exempts itself by its very nature from being a reference point, if all we can say about whatever it is, is that it's not this or its not that, then what? Can I have faith in it?
You believe it is true that it is not this or not that. Therefore you have faith that the proposition is not predicated in some particular way. Faith need not affirm. Faith merely allows belief or non-belief in the truth of a proposition.

Upvote 0