• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Does couple counseling really work?

renniks

Jun 2, 2008
✟149,430.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So far I am not impressed. In fact, I would say deciding to do counseling has made things worse. .. it's all about expressing your feelings. The trouble is, once you start that there's no end to it, and it just causes more hurt, and opens all the wounds that you didn't even know existed.
It seems to me there ought to be some rule that we are counseled to start with forgiving everything in the past. Or maybe the problem is, that the counseling I am receiving is not really biblical... not once did they bring up the marriage vows as if they were something non-negotiable.

seeking.IAM

Episcopalian
Site Supporter
Feb 29, 2004
Indiana
✟963,217.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I don't know how many sessions you have had. If it is a very few, I recommend you stick with it for a while. You are correct that counseling often brings up lots of emotions in ourselves and in the other person. They are seldom comfortable. For this reason, persons in counseling often feel worse before they feel better.

Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟961,697.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
So far I am not impressed. In fact, I would say deciding to do counseling has made things worse. .. it's all about expressing your feelings. The trouble is, once you start that there's no end to it, and it just causes more hurt, and opens all the wounds that you didn't even know existed.
It seems to me there ought to be some rule that we are counseled to start with forgiving everything in the past. Or maybe the problem is, that the counseling I am receiving is not really biblical... not once did they bring up the marriage vows as if they were something non-negotiable.
Depends on the counselor, because you have to remember that, even though they may have had some schooling, oftentimes that knowledge does not go beyond their own unique understanding, or their own, what may sometimes be limited, own unique perspective or own point of view, some can see more, some see less, because they are all still only human, just like you and I are, and they may also have certain views also, either political or social, that may or may not be similar to your own views, or ideology, or own unique perspectives or points of view, so you should probably also be asking them some questions beforehand also, to see if they can really even help you, or either of you, etc...

Beyond that, each person in the couple also needs to willing to try some things that are new also, or make certain changes also, or at least try them out for awhile, and see if this changes anything or not also, etc...

Be Blessed.

God Bless!

Upvote 0

renniks

Jun 2, 2008
✟149,430.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Depends on the counselor, because you have to remember that, even though they may have had some schooling, oftentimes that knowledge does not go beyond their own unique understanding, or their own, what may sometimes be limited, own unique perspective or own point of view, some can see more, some see less, because they are all still only human, just like you and I are, and they may also have certain views also, either political or social, that may or may not be similar to your own views, or ideology, or own unique perspectives or points of view, so you should probably also be asking them some questions beforehand also, to see if they can really even help you, or either of you, etc...

Beyond that, each person in the couple also needs to willing to try some things that are new also, or make certain changes also, or at least try them out for awhile, and see if this changes anything or not also, etc...

Be Blessed.

God Bless!
Well I can't really continue couple counseling at the moment because my wife is currently living in another state. I'm still going by myself I'm not sure it's really helping beyond just venting.. which I can do to someone else that won't charge me for it. I've pretty much come to the conclusion that there isn't anybody that looks at the world from my perspective, lol,!

• Friendly
Reactions: Neogaia777
Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟961,697.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Well I can't really continue couple counseling at the moment because my wife is currently living in another state. I'm still going by myself I'm not sure it's really helping beyond just venting.. which I can do to someone else that won't charge me for it. I've pretty much come to the conclusion that there isn't anybody that looks at the world from my perspective, lol,!
Keep looking, maybe eventually you'll find it, I feel the same way sometimes, lol.

God Bless!

Upvote 0

public hermit

social troglodyte
Site Supporter
Aug 20, 2019
East Coast
✟840,980.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

I think discussing can be cathartic. Most counseling is going to be centered on your thoughts, emotions, experience. Once those things get out not only are we able to unload a bunch of unconscious garbage, but once they get in the air we can see them in a different light. Counseling has its advantages worth the effort, but not following through can be dangerous because you end up opening the wound without giving time for healing. It's painful and takes time, but worth it. Once you get it out, you own it instead of it owning you.

Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,630.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
Many marriage problems are really spiritual problems. Unforgiveness is a killer. It's okay to open up and vent. However, it that's all that happens, nothing is achieved. There must be forgiveness and reconciliation to follow. Unforgiveness is often rooted in pride. "How dare he/she say that to me!" Deal with the pride and the relationship will improve dramatically. Likewise rebellion. They are both the nature of Satan and they are poison to us spiritually.

A good many marriage issues are caused by a lack of understanding of what makes a marriage work. I recommend Mark Gungor, possible the leading marriage counselor on the planet. He is also by far the most entertaining. You can find his seminars on youtube.

If you need help with forgiveness (and who does not?), I suggest that you read this article:

Can you forgive from your heart? - Christian Life Frankston

Upvote 0

renniks

Jun 2, 2008
✟149,430.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Many marriage problems are really spiritual problems. Unforgiveness is a killer. It's okay to open up and vent. However, it that's all that happens, nothing is achieved. There must be forgiveness and reconciliation to follow. Unforgiveness is often rooted in pride. "How dare he/she say that to me!" Deal with the pride and the relationship will improve dramatically. Likewise rebellion. They are both the nature of Satan and they are poison to us spiritually.

A good many marriage issues are caused by a lack of understanding of what makes a marriage work. I recommend Mark Gungor, possible the leading marriage counselor on the planet. He is also by far the most entertaining. You can find his seminars on youtube.

If you need help with forgiveness (and who does not?), I suggest that you read this article:

Can you forgive from your heart? - Christian Life Frankston
That's very helpful, thanks!

Upvote 0