Visit site
✟109,662.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
Today as I was out and about, there was a strange phenomenon in the sky. It was this glorious cloud formation backlit by sunrays with magnificent brushstroke like rainbow colors swirling out both sides of it. I wish I could give you a better description or even a photo. I kept praying it would last long enough for me to get home and grab my camera to take a picture. I could then have dowloaded it for you. I'm hoping the local paper had a photographer on it and that it'll show up tomorrow's edition. I've seen the Nothern Lights before so I know it wasn't that. Has anyone seen this display before? All I could do was just praise God over and over. I don't think I was the only one. People everywhere were stopped just staring at the sky.:clap: :bow:

TomUK

What would Costanza do?
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2004
Lancashire, UK
✟62,145.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Conservative
No idea i'm afraid. I hope you can get hold of a picture though as it sounds beautiful (though to be honest photos can never really capture it).

What a great starting point for evangelism though!

Upvote 0

redMountian

They'll know we are Christian by our love.
Jan 17, 2006
E-town
✟1,775.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Veritas said:
Today as I was out and about, there was a strange phenomenon in the sky. It was this glorious cloud formation backlit by sunrays with magnificent brushstroke like rainbow colors swirling out both sides of it. I wish I could give you a better description or even a photo. I kept praying it would last long enough for me to get home and grab my camera to take a picture. I could then have dowloaded it for you. I'm hoping the local paper had a photographer on it and that it'll show up tomorrow's edition. I've seen the Nothern Lights before so I know it wasn't that. Has anyone seen this display before? All I could do was just praise God over and over. I don't think I was the only one. People everywhere were stopped just staring at the sky.:clap: :bow:

Was it anything like this?:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crepuscular_rays

Crepuscular rays are sunbeams that emerge from the "holes" between clouds, and they're really spectacular, photographers sometimes call them "God beams" because they look almost like we imagine angels looking down from heaven.

Upvote 0

Veritas

1 Lord, 1 Faith, 1 Baptism
Aug 7, 2003
Pacific NW USA
Visit site
✟109,662.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
redMountian said:
Was it anything like this?:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crepuscular_rays

Crepuscular rays are sunbeams that emerge from the "holes" between clouds, and they're really spectacular, photographers sometimes call them "God beams" because they look almost like we imagine angels looking down from heaven.

Nope. Sorry. It had brilliant colors like a rainbow but was not in the form of a rainbow. It was like brushstokes of color coming out of the cloud and swirling at the tips. I did find a photo of it at one of the local TV station sites, but it's been taken down.:( I really wish you all could see it. It was awe-inspiring!:clap:

Upvote 0

anawim

Senior Veteran
Aug 24, 2004
NY suburbs
Visit site
✟19,965.00
Faith
Catholic
Politics
US-Republican
Veritas said:
Nope. Sorry. It had brilliant colors like a rainbow but was not in the form of a rainbow. It was like brushstokes of color coming out of the cloud and swirling at the tips. I did find a photo of it at one of the local TV station sites, but it's been taken down.:( I really wish you all could see it. It was awe-inspiring!:clap:

Sounds like you are describing the aurora borealis. How far north do you live?

Upvote 0

Veritas

Aug 7, 2003
Pacific NW USA
Visit site
✟109,662.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
anawim said:
Sounds like you are describing the aurora borealis. How far north do you live?

Naw, it's not that either. I think it was a rare rainbow formation due to strange water droplets in the cloud. The prism effect was clearly there, but not in it's usual form. I think it was one of those once-in-a-lifetime things that happen when all the elements (clouds, sun and water drops or vapor) are present at a certain moment in a precise way. Only God could do it!

Upvote 0

Look Homeward Anglican

Senior Veteran
May 14, 2005
United States
✟10,751.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
Could it have been a sundog?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sun_dog

The pictures in the article I linked to do it no justice at all, and don't really resemble the actual thing very much. To me, it looks like a bright spot of light with a vertical rainbow wrapped around it. Before I knew their name I used to call them sunbows (because they were like rainbows, but up and down instead of side to side, and always when there was no rain.)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
S

St_Joseph_Cupertino

In my very amateurish, and personal opinion, It sounds to me like it's a very moisture-laden cloud that moved in front of the Sun.
The idea of swirling rainbows makes me think of those whispy cloulds pieces being seperated from the main cloud body due to wind. But if the cloud is very moisture-laden, then shouldn't the moisture in the cloud edges be seperated enough from the main body to refract the sunlight shining through them and display the colour spectrum?

I soooo don't have any scientific evidence for this, and never heard of it before, just the only thing I can think of...

In Christ.

Upvote 0

Veritas

Aug 7, 2003
Pacific NW USA
Visit site
✟109,662.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
Although Tom is correct when he says that pictures don't fully capture the essense of such phenomenon, this give you an idea.

4984444_BG1.jpg

Here is a link to other pics as well, 5 in all along with a story. It's called a "Cloud Irridescence" btw.

http://khq.com/Global/story.asp?S=4984444&nav=menu438_7_2

Upvote 0

Veritas

Aug 7, 2003
Pacific NW USA
Visit site
✟109,662.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
Apparently this is a very rare event and only happens in northern US and southern Canada. Instead of water to create the prism, the suns rays refract off of ice particles. Whatever. It's a marvelous display of God's handiwork.:)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Veritas

Aug 7, 2003
Pacific NW USA
Visit site
✟109,662.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
Upvote 0

anawim

Senior Veteran
Aug 24, 2004
NY suburbs
Visit site
✟19,965.00
Faith
Catholic
Politics
US-Republican
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.