Does anyone know what a priest is trained to do if...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Davidnic

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2006
✟788,967.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Say a priest witness a car crash, and the person is on the verge of death. If he can't speak to identify himself as a Catholic. Does the priest give him last rights anyway?

There is great felxability whan a person is in danger of death. I assisted on last rites calls when I was in the seminary and they were mostly at hospitals and such. But "danger of death"

Here a pretty good view of how it fits with Canon law (link)

The biggest problem in the type of situation you describe is the persons ability to ask for the sacrament. Since:

From the canons and the ritual it is clear that the sacrament may not be given indiscriminately. So, for example, the following may not receive, except where noted.

1. One who is not a baptized Catholic. Those who are not baptized may never receive. Baptized non-Catholics may not receive, unless the provisions of canon 844 and the norms of the local bishop and the bishops conference are met. For Orthodox Christians and other Churches with valid sacraments, canon 844, 3 provides that they:

· ask for it on their own
· be properly disposed.

For all other baptized Christians (Anglican, Lutheran and Protestant), canon 844, 4 states that the following conditions must be met:

· danger of death or other grave necessity
· inability to approach a minister of their own community
· ask for it on their own
· manifest Catholic faith in the sacraments
· be properly disposed

Proper disposition for anyone who is conscious includes the confession of all mortal sins since the last good confession, or since baptism, if the person had never made a confession.

The above is the ideal. In the situation you mention things are not ideal. In that case:

"Prudent pastoral and medical judgment must be followed."

From what I understood most priests, in the case of doubt (or in the situation you describe, or one like it) will offer the sacrament. In case of doubt the action should be taken in the best interests of the sick or dying.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.