Does anyone know of a past heretic who, because he was a "nice" and/or "moral" man, deceived many?

Elizabeth Daniels Jn316

Soli Deo Gloria!
Jul 9, 2022
Florida
✟16,771.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Hi,

I'm trying to writing something emphasizing the fact that just because someone is nice and/or moral does not necessarily mean that he is saved. And I wanted to use an example of a heretic in church history whose false teaching was difficult to refute because he was such a "nice" or moral guy. I thought I heard a sermon years ago claiming that Arius fit that description, but I couldn't find anything in my search. Do any of you know if that was true concerning Arius, or if there was some other past heretic who was like that (e.g., Eutychus, Nestorius, Pelagius, etc.)?

Thanks so much!

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟326,085.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Hi,

I'm trying to writing something emphasizing the fact that just because someone is nice and/or moral does not necessarily mean that he is saved. And I wanted to use an example of a heretic in church history whose false teaching was difficult to refute because he was such a "nice" or moral guy. I thought I heard a sermon years ago claiming that Arius fit that description, but I couldn't find anything in my search. Do any of you know if that was true concerning Arius, or if there was some other past heretic who was like that (e.g., Eutychus, Nestorius, Pelagius, etc.)?

Thanks so much!

You could say that they all did. Being a heretic doesn't mean you are an immoral person, it merely makes you wrong in some of your teachings. And it by no means implies that a person is not "saved".

• Winner
Reactions: Shane R
Upvote 0

ByTheSpirit

Come Lord Jesus
May 17, 2011
Manhattan, KS
✟189,861.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟909,984.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi,

Thanks so much!
I don't think anyone can really pin point " nice and moral" traits of past theologians. Not really sure if it matters, unless you are referring to someone currently in your life. That being said, " nice and moral" are qualities scripture captures as fruits of the Holy Spirit.
Blessings

Upvote 0

Elizabeth Daniels Jn316

Soli Deo Gloria!
Jul 9, 2022
Florida
✟16,771.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,242,658.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Hi,

Thanks so much!
What they DID say about Arius was that he wrote some good music, far better than was available in Alexandria otherwise. He had the catchiest of tunes.

I have never heard anything about him being nicer, or more moral than others. Just about his music being very appealing. But then heretics do not appear to be nasty people. That stereotype just doesn't fly. They are merely those who teach false things about God and faith as if true.

Upvote 0

Elizabeth Daniels Jn316

Soli Deo Gloria!
Jul 9, 2022
Florida
✟16,771.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
What they DID say about Arius was that he wrote some good music, far better than was available in Alexandria otherwise. He had the catchiest of tunes.

I have never heard anything about him being nicer, or more moral than others. Just about his music being very appealing. But then heretics do not appear to be nasty people. That stereotype just doesn't fly. They are merely those who teach false things about God and faith as if true.
Thank you.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

The Liturgist

Traditional Liturgical Christian
Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟478,906.00
Country
United States
Faith
Generic Orthodox Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
Hi,

Thanks so much!

Arius definitely fits the bill. Nestorius on the other hand was known for using violence in persecuting those he disagreed with.

If you read St. Epiphanius, and other Patristic authors, Arius was actually considered a widely respected ascetic and was looked upon with great favor by his parishioners. It was clear he was a charismatic man.

There is tradition that states Nicolaus from Acts 6, one of the seven chosen to serve as deacons is such a person. Jesus even mentioned his group twice in Revelation in warnings.

Who Were the Nicolaitans, And What Was Their Doctrine and Deeds?

Nicolas the Deacon basically formed a sect that adopted doctrines that came to be known as Gnostic, and which also held all property in common, including their wives, practicing wife-swapping, which is evil in two equally vile respects: organized adultery and treating women as property, both conducted under the banner of Christianity, thus it is no wonder our Lord attacked the Nicolaitans specifically in His revelation to St. John.

Think everyone here can agree w/ Joseph Smith. That's probably gonna be the safest answer.

I am pretty sure its not; he was charismatic in his earlier days, but then his conduct in Independence, Missouri and Nauvoo, Illinois was so heinous Missouri charged him with treason, he smashed a printing press in Nauvoo to put out of business a local paper critical of him, he raised a paramilitary, the Nauvoo Legion, which reminds me a bit of the SA or the SS, and indeed like Hitler ran for President, but lost because even among the Mormons he was increasingly disliked, and was eventually lynched. Brigham Young later went to great lengths to sanitize his image, but Joseph Smith was a pretty nasty fellow in that he let the power get to his head.

Upvote 0