Sep 1, 2014
✟15,682.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
How long have you been doing it?
What results did you see?
What was your biggest challenges and motivation?

A lot of people tell me things that aren't very true about lifting especially for women. They think I will hurt my uterus or something 😄
They also say things about looking like a guy.
I tell them look at me, I've been lifting nearly 7 months 3 times a week do I look like a man?

My results: with nutrition I've lost nearly 9 lbs and 8 percent of my body fat. I've never felt and looked better physically, even at my thinnest in life. I hope within a year I hit my new goals. I'm getting their slowly and seeing my hard work makes me feel great. Also, going to the gym or working out at home has helped me a lot with worries and stress. I also fell a few weeks ago on my back and have recovered faster. I know it's because my body is getting strong.

You?

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
How long have you been doing it?
What was your biggest challenges and motivation?

A lot of people tell me things that aren't very true about lifting especially for women. They think I will hurt my uterus or something ��
I tell them look at me, I've been lifting nearly 7 months 3 times a week do I look like a man?

My results: with nutrition I've lost nearly 9 lbs and 8 percent of my body fat. I've never felt and looked better physically, even at my thinnest in life. I hope within a year I hit my new goals. I'm getting their slowly and seeing my hard work makes me feel great. Also, going to the gym or working out at home has helped me a lot with worries and stress. I also fell a few weeks ago on my back and have recovered faster. I know it's because my body is getting strong.

You?

Women do not increase muscle mass in the same way that men do when they perform weight lifting. Why? Genetic and hormonal differences. The musculature of women, can become stronger, without much increase in size and has a multitude of health benefits:

-increases bone mass which prevents osteoporosis
-increases metabolism from increased active tissue
-increases mobility of joints and prevents injury

Upvote 0

Paul01

Sinner
Jan 29, 2013
Missouri
✟9,305.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Keep training. You aren't going to look manly.

I've been doing it for about 20 years. Injuries along the way are the biggest challenge for me. It became a daily part of my schedule a long time ago. I was late for my first wedding because my workout ran long. I go when I'm sick, when the weather is terrible, when I am too busy, when I have zero motivation, when I'm on vacation, etc. I don't know how else to do it...you just go. It's as much a part of my daily routine as sleeping, eating or showering.

Upvote 0

sehnsucht9

Sep 1, 2014
✟15,682.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Keep training. You aren't going to look manly.

I've been doing it for about 20 years. Injuries along the way are the biggest challenge for me. It became a daily part of my schedule a long time ago. I was late for my first wedding because my workout ran long. I go when I'm sick, when the weather is terrible, when I am too busy, when I have zero motivation, when I'm on vacation, etc. I don't know how else to do it...you just go. It's as much a part of my daily routine as sleeping, eating or showering.

Yup. It's become apart of my life! 20 years is awesome.

Upvote 0

miss-a

Jul 12, 2009
Snowy Northeast
✟35,831.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Hurt your uterus. Never heard that one. What will they come up with next.

I've lifted light weights for decades, and some heavy weights from time to time. The only issue I ever had was when in a moment of not thinking clearly allowed myself to get enamored with a book called something like "New Rules for lifting for women: lift like a man." It turns out I'm a woman, and when I changed up my workout, overworked and got too busy to increase my stretching to coincide with the increased work, you guessed it. I injured myself.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. There's some real wisdom in that saying. I won't be changing up my workouts again anytime soon. I'm just now able to get back to my original workout routines, and I'm loving it.

I'm glad you're enjoying yours. Keep up the good work.:thumbsup:

Upvote 0

sehnsucht9

Sep 1, 2014
✟15,682.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Lol seriously the things I hear.

miss-a I agree with you. A friend of mine is a trainer and when he was helping me first he made me do things I wasn't ready for and I really disliked weights. I felt weak and useless. I was honest with him about my feelings. He thought about it and realized he was doing it all wrong. He was training me like I was a guy. He was new to personal training so he thanked me for opening his eyes. It took him a while to get female clients but the more he spoke to me and the more we workout together, I felt comfortable and enjoyed weights. Now he trains more women than men.
I personally don't push it because I've been injured with something else and I'm still not fully recovered. So with weights I know I can really hurt myself. I don't want that to happen.

I actually change my routine every 3-4 months. It works better for me.

Upvote 0

johndoo

Mar 5, 2013
✟60,389.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
I enjoy lifting twice a week. My body seems to need some time to recover. I do the treadmill the other days. I think there is some evidence that lifting may be better for mood than aerobics.
There is data to suggest that muscle mass is correlated to staying in your home independently as you age ( avoiding the nursing home). Keep lifting!

Upvote 0

Ada Lovelace

Grateful to scientists and all health care workers
Site Supporter
Jun 20, 2014
California
✟1,002,256.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
A lot of people tell me things that aren't very true about lifting especially for women. They think I will hurt my uterus or something 😄

You?

"They think I will hurt my uterus or something." Hahahahahaha.

That's awesome you've accomplished your goals and are looking and feeling fabulous.

I do lift, but it's not a substantial, habitual part of my workouts. I prefer calisthenics because they're more creative and fun. I became enraptured by aerial silks and acro yoga when I was 13 and began lifting more regularly then because I needed to develop my upper body strength. Now I'm advanced enough to not really need to lift to be capable of mastering my routines, but I still do a few times a week.

If you get bored easily and are looking for something adventuresome I definitely recommend checking out acro yoga, aerial silks, lyra, or pole fitness, or even Pilates (though that's more mellow). We have indoor and outdoor aerial silks rigs
at home and I start every morning with workout modeled after hers:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gc0WlYqHNLA

How long have you been doing it? - Four years and change.

It's better to show rather than tell:
push%20ups_zpsj0sfr4pl.png

I can now do 20 pushups. I can also plank while my boyfriend or yoga parter do a handstand on my back. I clock in around 110 at just under 5'9 and they're 150 and 160 pounds respectively.

I'm not bulky but I'm not scrawny either.
bring%20out%20the%20big%20guns_zpsd6i92qdg.png

What was your biggest challenges and motivation
I have to be mindful to try to not overdo it because I have this health condition that makes it more challenging for my body to cope with stress to it (Addison's Disease). My parents nag me. If I had no limitations I think I'd be more daring. I probably will be in college. My biggest motivation is fulfilling milestones I set for myself! I just ran my second LA Marathon on Sunday and made it all the way even with a minor (though painful) knee injury. I also am super inspired by some of the people I do yoga and aerial silks with, and by dancing. I live in LA and there's an awesome dance, acro yoga, and aerial silks community here, and virtual ones on Instagram. Everyone encourages one another so much. Music is also a fantastic motivator for me.

Upvote 0

sehnsucht9

Sep 1, 2014
✟15,682.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
"They think I will hurt my uterus or something." Hahahahahaha.

That's awesome you've accomplished your goals and are looking and feeling fabulous.

I do lift, but it's not a substantial, habitual part of my workouts. I prefer calisthenics because they're more creative and fun. I became enraptured by aerial silks and acro yoga when I was 13 and began lifting more regularly then because I needed to develop my upper body strength. Now I'm advanced enough to not really need to lift to be capable of mastering my routines, but I still do a few times a week.

If you get bored easily and are looking for something adventuresome I definitely recommend checking out acro yoga, aerial silks, lyra, or pole fitness, or even Pilates (though that's more mellow). We have indoor and outdoor aerial silks rigs
at home and I start every morning with workout modeled after hers:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gc0WlYqHNLA

How long have you been doing it? - Four years and change.

It's better to show rather than tell:
push%20ups_zpsj0sfr4pl.png

I can now do 20 pushups. I can also plank while my boyfriend or yoga parter do a handstand on my back. I clock in around 110 at just under 5'9 and they're 150 and 160 pounds respectively.

I'm not bulky but I'm not scrawny either.
bring%20out%20the%20big%20guns_zpsd6i92qdg.png

What was your biggest challenges and motivation
I have to be mindful to try to not overdo it because I have this health condition that makes it more challenging for my body to cope with stress to it (Addison's Disease). My parents nag me. If I had no limitations I think I'd be more daring. I probably will be in college. My biggest motivation is fulfilling milestones I set for myself! I just ran my second LA Marathon on Sunday and made it all the way even with a minor (though painful) knee injury. I also am super inspired by some of the people I do yoga and aerial silks with, and by dancing. I live in LA and there's an awesome dance, acro yoga, and aerial silks community here, and virtual ones on Instagram. Everyone encourages one another so much. Music is also a fantastic motivator for me.

Congratulations that's amazing!
I use my Instagram for motivation too. I've meet s lot of awesome people from IG.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Ada Lovelace

Grateful to scientists and all health care workers
Site Supporter
Jun 20, 2014
California
✟1,002,256.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Congratulations that's amazing!
I use my Instagram for motivation too. I've meet s lot of awesome people from IG.

Thank you! I've been so motivated and encouraged by Instagram challenges lately. I'm happy you've had a positive experience there, too!

Thank you!

Hit my 13 lbs mark. I feel awesome!

That's fantastic! Congratulations!!!!

Upvote 0

strwy

JESUS is my rock & the ONLY way
Apr 10, 2015
✟8,684.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I used to lift dumb bells for twenty years but then I became disabled due to a hereditary disorder and can't anymore but I do therapy .
The endorphins were outstanding and I would highly recommend it . You may not see results for 6 months but DONT give up because they will be awesome .

I think the exercise prevented the disability from rearing its ugly head earlier .:cheer:

Reactions: Ada Lovelace
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Blue Wren

Sep 22, 2014
Solna, Sweden
✟26,447.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
The endorphins were my motivation
And
the challenge for me was to do basic stretching exercises prior to lifting (which is important to prevent injuries )

:thumbsup: Endorphins, they are a God send, yes. I struggle, with SAD, in the winters, as there is so little light. Exercise, it helps me, so much. I feel so much happier, and have more energy, when I exercise.

Upvote 0