Jun 30, 2009
Regina, Saskatchewan
Visit site
✟15,160.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I've loved his work ever since my sister-in-law gave me his book, "Awareness" as a gift one Christmas. I also have his 'One Minute Wisdom' and I like to flip it open and se what little gem God wishes to present to me today. Sometimes this has been the start of a day-long time of prayerful reflection.

This is one of my favorites;

Identity

"How does one sek union with God?"

"The harder you seek, the more distance
you create between Him and you."

"So what does one do about the distance?"

"Understand that it isn't there."

"Does that mean that God and I are one?"

"Not one. Not two."

"How is that possible?"

"The sun and it's light, the ocean and the wave, the singer and his song - not one. Not Two."

Last edited:

tinythinker

Jun 16, 2008
✟7,860.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Private
I've loved his work ever since my sister-in-law gave me his book, "Awareness" as a gift one Christmas. I also have his 'One Minute Wisdom' and I like to flip it open and se what little gem God wishes to present to me today. Sometimes this has been the start of a day-long time of prayerful reflection.

This is one of my favorites;

Identity

"How does one sek union with God?"

"The harder you seek, the more distance
you create between Him and you."

"So what does one do about the distance?"

"Understand that it isn't there."

"Does that mean that God and I are one?"

"Not one. Not two."

"How is that possible?"

"The sun and it's light, the ocean and the wave, the singer and his song - not one. Not Two."

Haven't heard of him, but my tour through Buddhism helped me re-discover an appreciation of religious ritual and language and it's core concepts helped me appreciate what people like Teasdale and Keating and others refer to as panentheism and notions like "Not one. Not two." In fact there is a term in Asian languages which is translated as "Not one. Not two."

I can also buy they idea that seeking Enlightenment or God itself creates an artificial distance between us and what we "seek". And yet either in silent Ch'an meditation or in silent Centering Prayer, I just never "get it". You know? I mean I get it as an idea, but not as an experienced reality.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.