✟475,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Generic Orthodox Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
IMO this is the proper way.

Indeed, this is called the Ablutions and is customary in the liturgical praxis of the RC, EO, OO, Assyrian and Ancient Church of the East, medium to high church Anglicanism and Anglo Catholicism, Old Catholicism, and high church / Evangelical Catholic Lutheranism; basically, pretty much anywhere where the Real Presence is acknowledged. The Roman Catholics are fastidious about it, and the Eastern Orthodox even more so (if a drop of the blood of our Lord landed on a carpet, the place where it landed would have to be burned, hence carpets in Orthodox churches do not usually extend into the ambo and altar area; also, rather than using a purificator in the chalice, the Eastern Orthodox use a sponge, which is burned, and it is never allowed to wash eucharistic material down the piscina, or consecrated drain to the garden outside the church, only xeon and the water the clergy wash their hands in).

Upvote 0

Thatgirloncfforums

Sep 28, 2021
Nowhere
✟40,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Private
Upvote 0

Thatgirloncfforums

Sep 28, 2021
Nowhere
✟40,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Private
Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Traditional Liturgical Christian
Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟475,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Celibate
That reminds me of an instance where my pastor ran out of wafers during communion and grabbed a bag of them from the back of the altar (it had a couple of shelves in the back). Afterwards he said he should have probably resaid the words of consecration over them. Got us into a question of do the elements need to "hear" the words? What if someone has bread with them for the kids, does that get consecrated as well?

The Coptic Euchologion in my library (of course its in my library, in both hard copy and digital formats) has a curious liturgy in the back which no one seems to know anything about called “The Filling of the Chalice” which I initially assumed, based on the text, was a supplemental mini-anaphora for if you ran out of consecrated elements, but apparently this is not the case. Whereas there are rubrics in some Protestant service books for rereading the Words of Constitution.

By the way, the printed version has a hilarious rubricated typo in the English text which is then repeated in Arabic and Coptic characters, but in English. Still its a beautiful book, and it was unlike most of my books not purchased but given to me by a deacon. I know well why @dzheremi loves that church.

Last edited:
Upvote 0