Doctors report an 'alarming' rise in younger people with liver disease as Americans drink more alcoh

SoldierOfTheKing

Christian Spenglerian
Jan 6, 2006
Kenmore, WA
✟278,566.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Doctors report an 'alarming' rise in younger people with liver disease as Americans drink more alcohol

In the 11 months since the pandemic began, drinking rates and alcohol sales have been steadily increasing.

Doctors have been warning it's a concern, and some say we're already seeing the consequences, with alcoholic liver disease is increasingly affecting people younger than 40.

Some experts worry alcohol abuse will continue long after the pandemic is over

Experts worry that we are only seeing the beginning of alarming alcohol use levels, and fear the pandemic will have long-term consequences.

"I think we're only on the cusp of this," Maddur told the Los Angeles Times. "Quarantine is one thing, but the downturn of the economy, that's not going away anytime soon."

One of the many ways that these lockdowns endanger public health - for many people who are not in danger from the the virus itself.

• Agree
Reactions: Semper-Fi

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Doctors report an 'alarming' rise in younger people with liver disease as Americans drink more alcohol
In the 11 months since the pandemic began, drinking rates and alcohol sales have been steadily increasing.Doctors have been warning it's a concern, and some say we're already seeing the consequences, with alcoholic liver disease is increasingly affecting people younger than 40.

Some experts worry alcohol abuse will continue long after the pandemic is overExperts worry that we are only seeing the beginning of alarming alcohol use levels, and fear the pandemic will have long-term consequences."I think we're only on the cusp of this," Maddur told the Los Angeles Times. "Quarantine is one thing, but the downturn of the economy, that's not going away anytime soon."One of the many ways that these lockdowns endanger public health - for many people who are not in danger from the the virus itself.

That's good news. I'm way over 40.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,476,692.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It's not just alcohol. Glucose and particularly fructose have the same effect on the liver as alcohol. A 12-ounce can of soda sweetened with high fructose corn syrup hits the liver exactly like a shot of whiskey.

It's called "non-alcoholic cirrhosis of the liver." It looks just like cirrhosis caused by alcohol...it's only diagnosed as "non-alcoholic" when the physician has reason to believe the patient is not alcoholic.

Considering how many foods today eaten by children are sweetened with high-fructose corn syrup (even such tings as fast-food French fries), I suspect that is causing more damage at earlier ages than drinking. By the time kids begin drinking, they've already damaged their livers from high-fructose corn syrup.

Upvote 0

Lawrence87

Jan 23, 2021
No
✟32,311.00
Country
Western Sahara
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I gave up alcohol about a year ago.

Sadly it's something that people turn to in difficult times when they don't have God.

I think it's important during these times to not only pray for those directly affected by the virus itself, and those fighting it, but also those affected indirectly by the restrictions and so forth.

Upvote 0

Semper-Fi

Site Supporter
May 26, 2019
Pacific north west
✟407,150.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

nonaeroterraqueous

Nonexistent Member
Aug 16, 2014
✟188,987.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Glucose and particularly fructose have the same effect on the liver as alcohol...It's called "non-alcoholic cirrhosis of the liver."

I thought your info seemed a little fishy, given basic biology, the purpose of the liver, and the usual causes of liver pathology, so I looked it up. A long list of potential causes are presented, none of which support your position. The closest match is an inherited genetic disorder associated with glucose, and that's it.

Cirrhosis - Symptoms and causes

• Chronic alcohol abuse
  • Chronic viral hepatitis (hepatitis B, C and D)
  • Fat accumulating in the liver (nonalcoholic fatty liver disease)
  • Iron buildup in the body (hemochromatosis)
  • Cystic fibrosis
  • Copper accumulated in the liver (Wilson's disease)
  • Poorly formed bile ducts (biliary atresia)
  • Alpha-1 antitrypsin deficiency
  • Inherited disorders of sugar metabolism (galactosemia or glycogen storage disease)
  • Genetic digestive disorder (Alagille syndrome)
  • Liver disease caused by your body's immune system (autoimmune hepatitis)
  • Destruction of the bile ducts (primary biliary cirrhosis)
  • Hardening and scarring of the bile ducts (primary sclerosing cholangitis
  • Infection, such as syphilis or brucellosis
  • Medications, including methotrexate or isoniazid

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,476,692.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I thought your info seemed a little fishy, given basic biology, the purpose of the liver, and the usual causes of liver pathology, so I looked it up. A long list of potential causes are presented, none of which support your position. The closest match is an inherited genetic disorder associated with glucose, and that's it.

Cirrhosis - Symptoms and causes

• Chronic alcohol abuse
  • Chronic viral hepatitis (hepatitis B, C and D)
  • Fat accumulating in the liver (nonalcoholic fatty liver disease)
  • Iron buildup in the body (hemochromatosis)
  • Cystic fibrosis
  • Copper accumulated in the liver (Wilson's disease)
  • Poorly formed bile ducts (biliary atresia)
  • Alpha-1 antitrypsin deficiency
  • Inherited disorders of sugar metabolism (galactosemia or glycogen storage disease)
  • Genetic digestive disorder (Alagille syndrome)
  • Liver disease caused by your body's immune system (autoimmune hepatitis)
  • Destruction of the bile ducts (primary biliary cirrhosis)
  • Hardening and scarring of the bile ducts (primary sclerosing cholangitis
  • Infection, such as syphilis or brucellosis
  • Medications, including methotrexate or isoniazid

So look up NASH. Or "fatty liver."

But if you'd looked up "non-alcoholic cirrhosis of the liver," you'd have gotten to the same places.

Upvote 0