Do you watch any of the protestant Christian programming?

WarriorAngel

I close my eyes and see you smile
Site Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
United States Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟442,598.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
It is amazing how the Holy Spirit works.

Once you delve deeply into the theology of the ancient Church - and it all makes so much sense - comparable to the many different teachings out there that use only scriptures and only the English translated scriptures to boot - which loses so many truths because frankly English does no justice to the actual translations.

You cannot hear these teachings - it becomes difficult and it becomes repulsive in some matters. Especially the wealth Gospel.

I know i find it hard to take it seriously and so i often avoid it. I find myself sitting there watching 700 club disagreeing and shaking my head. I eventually get up and shut it off. But i like the news and conversion stories that come on first.

Upvote 0

Tigg

Senior Veteran
Jan 5, 2007
✟17,774.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Yep Joyce as I like her bring-it home to us sermons. Osteen - the ya better be rich cause that's what God wants guy? Yuck. Then there are the singers type I call em. I say, I say get down on your kneeees! Not now, not right now but yesterday, ya sinning etc... types. Why the singy-song presentation is beyond me. Only in passing and basically ugh. And then I turn to EWTN where it is quiet and sane. Ahhhhhh
Altho late at night the Star channel does have nature pictures, nice music and bible quotes...nice.

Upvote 0

princess_ballet

Senior Veteran
Jul 8, 2003
Michigan
✟16,089.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Honestly, I can't even stand to watch ETWN. It is SO freakin' boring. How can you guys stand it???? If I want to watch some old guy stand at a podium and talk, I'll go to mass.

I used to watch Joyce Meyers. She doesn't always get it right, but I do like that her message is very specific on your personal life. I don't usually watch her anymore though.

Upvote 0

AMDG

Tenderized for Christ
May 24, 2004
Pacific Northwest, United States
✟47,022.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Honestly, I can't even stand to watch ETWN. It is SO freakin' boring. How can you guys stand it???? If I want to watch some old guy stand at a podium and talk, I'll go to mass.

There are all sorts of EWTN programs. The Mass. The Rosary. The Angelus. Even exposition of the Blessed Sacrament and the Divine Praises. Shows for Children. Cartoons. Some skits. Some for teens. Some music shows--different kinds from simple children's songs to the organ music that is often on Sundays. The Pope's audiences. Movies. Some interviews. Some history lessons. Stories about the saints. Even some lectures. It all depends on the program chosen.

Upvote 0

wkmt2819

Feb 17, 2012
✟7,658.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I am always cautious when watching non-Catholic programming. Listened to the health & wealth preachers for a while because they were so dynamic but when their message wasn't being fulfilled in my life, it adversely affected my faith. I pretty much avoid it altogether now. I had to upgrade my cable subscription to get EWTN so I can watch my favorite show: The Journey Home

Upvote 0

AMDG

Tenderized for Christ
May 24, 2004
✟47,022.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
my favorite show: The Journey Home

Ooo--that's a really good show. I too love learning about other's "journeys" to the Catholic Church.

Have a bunch of religious channels too, but even husband doesn't watch those unless it's a movie.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

mg0086

Prospective Doctor of the Church
Dec 8, 2007
Stella Maris Chapel
Visit site
✟10,902.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
There are all sorts of EWTN programs. The Mass. The Rosary. The Angelus. Even exposition of the Blessed Sacrament and the Divine Praises. Shows for Children. Cartoons. Some skits. Some for teens. Some music shows--different kinds from simple children's songs to the organ music that is often on Sundays. The Pope's audiences. Movies. Some interviews. Some history lessons. Stories about the saints. Even some lectures. It all depends on the program chosen.
I agree,

I don't see how someone would find EWTN boring, when there's so much on it. You probably DID see the mass when you saw some old guy standing to a podium to preach. EWTN does show the mass about 3 times a day. But there's so many devotions, documentaries, movies, and especially Mother Angelica!! ^_^

I don't even bother watching other protestant networks because to me it's just like going to one of their churches, I feel something missing....I'll even hear something that goes against teaching...so...

Upvote 0

ivebeenshown

Expert invisible poster and thread killer
Apr 27, 2010
✟17,740.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
There was some movie on, the channel got stopped on about two-thirds the way through the movie. It was about a guy on a yacht with his wife and another couple that were friends. Moral of the story: apparently, God will repeat the rapture over and over until this one particular guy somewhere on a yacht finally gets it and accepts Jesus into his heart as a personal Lord and Savior so that he can be raptured away with his wife, just after calling his boss and telling him about Jesus so that the boss can go "huh?" and then hear a lot of crashing and screaming because the rapture just happened.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,680,081.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
There was some movie on, the channel got stopped on about two-thirds the way through the movie. It was about a guy on a yacht with his wife and another couple that were friends. Moral of the story: apparently, God will repeat the rapture over and over until this one particular guy somewhere on a yacht finally gets it and accepts Jesus into his heart as a personal Lord and Savior so that he can be raptured away with his wife, just after calling his boss and telling him about Jesus so that the boss can go "huh?" and then hear a lot of crashing and screaming because the rapture just happened.

^_^

Some of those movies are really bad. :p

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

eastcoast_bsc

Veteran
Mar 29, 2005
Boston
✟394,442.00
Faith
Christian
I used to watch Joel Olsteen over ten years ago. I tried watching him again, about a year ago, but with all I have learned and with the treasures I have found in the Catholic Church, Joel Olsteen seems like a just another guy telling you what you want to hear and people are ready to pay for that. His new building had to cost A LOT$$$$.

No, I cannot watch that stuff any longer.

Joel Olsteen yuchhhhhhhh :o He is so sappy and phony.

Upvote 0

AMDG

Tenderized for Christ
May 24, 2004
✟47,022.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Speakking of movies. The Mormon channel has a real think with playing some disney movie. I believe it's The Cat From Outer Space? It's played all he time.

Wonder if it's because they believe that God lives on a planet near a star called Kolob in outer space. Or it could be just the fact that they are a "clean" Disney-like organization that wouldn't be showing some of the more off-color movies of today. ;)

They also seem to be real genealogy nuts too.

Yes, they are *very* into genealogy. Have a lot of genealogy information--some taken from records kept in Catholic parishes. I tend to like the fact that the foreign records (that I can't read because I don't speak the language) are already translated because the LDS send out teams to have already done that.

Can't remember when they hold their General Conferences, but at the time you'll be finding lectures galore from their leaders. Talk about "old men talking at podiums". ;)

Upvote 0

Needing_Grace

Chief of Sinners
May 8, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
✟11,799.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Yes, they are *very* into genealogy. Have a lot of genealogy information--some taken from records kept in Catholic parishes. I tend to like the fact that the foreign records (that I can't read because I don't speak the language) are already translated because the LDS send out teams to have already done that.

That's because they believe in this Baptism for the Dead thing. Yes, according to Mormonism, you can get baptized more than once...in the name of dead relatives, essentially doing what we do at Mass with the Crucifixion (opening time and space to participate in events somewhere else), except with baptism.

Upvote 0

princess_ballet

Senior Veteran
Jul 8, 2003
Michigan
✟16,089.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private

Yes, I've seen all of that. Last Lent, I thought it would be good if I switched over to the channel and watched it more.

The stuff was so cheesy I couldn't stand it, especially the movies! I just think its poorly done.

Upvote 0