Do you look at things according to the outward appearance?

Mr. M

Mar 9, 2020
Prescott, Az
✟39,400.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
2 Corinthians 10:7 Do you look at things according to the outward appearance?
If anyone is convinced in himself that he is Christ’s, let him again consider this in himself,
that just as he is Christ’s, even so we are Christ’s.

This is speaking to the common activity within the Church of those who
grant authority [or take it],
based on natural abilities, rather than
the anointing of the Holy Spirit.

1 Samuel 16:7 But the Lord said to Samuel, Do not look at his appearance or at
his physical stature, because I have refused him. For the Lord does not see as man
sees; for man looks at the outward appearance, but the Lord looks at the heart.

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟953,011.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
When I returned to church I attended a summer picnic. I was seated comfortably on a blanket and chatting with members I hadn’t seen in awhile. An older woman approached and asked if she could sit down. I obliged.

We struck up a conversation and hit it off. During our discussion she showed me her hands and feet. The rheumatoid arthritis was severe. And her ankle had broken in a manner that would never heel. She had use of her thumb and forefinger on both hands. And she had lupus.

To the onlooker she appeared feeble. But she became my walking partner. After bible study we walked everywhere and tried different restaurants. We went to Whole Foods and brought cheer to the employees while we shopped. She carried her bags and traveled by bus.

She was a prayer warrior, former bible teacher and street evangelist, and a current member of the church and citywide prayer teams. Her personality was bubbly and everyone knew her.

She was a mighty woman of God and a blessing for many. During my season of aloneness when I didn’t have friends God provided her. She loved, mothered, prayed, and pampered me. It was balm of joy for my soul. The spiritual wrangling and vexations had taken a toll. I needed TLC and she gave it unselfishly.

God’s blessings come all guises. Even the likely ones.

Yours in His Service,

~bella

• Winner
Reactions: Mr. M
Upvote 0

Rene Loup

Left the pack, joined the flock.
Apr 13, 2020
Canada
✟62,140.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
We all do. The world calls this The Halo Effect. Basically, attractive people are often perceived and treated much better than those considered less attractive in daily life.[1][2][3]

The fact that God rebuked one of His own prophets for making this same mistake speaks volumes about us as fallen human beings:

4 Samuel did what the Lord said. When he arrived at Bethlehem, the elders of the town trembled when they met him. They asked, “Do you come in peace?”

5 Samuel replied, “Yes, in peace; I have come to sacrifice to the Lord. Consecrate yourselves and come to the sacrifice with me.” Then he consecrated Jesse and his sons and invited them to the sacrifice.

6 When they arrived, Samuel saw Eliab and thought, “Surely the Lord’s anointed stands here before the Lord.”

7 But the Lord said to Samuel, “Do not consider his appearance or his height, for I have rejected him. The Lord does not look at the things people look at. People look at the outward appearance, but the Lord looks at the heart.”
~1 Samuel 16:4-7 (NIV)

Bible Gateway passage: 1 Samuel 16 - King James Version
Bible Gateway passage: 1 Samuel 16 - New King James Version
Bible Gateway passage: 1 Samuel 16 - New International Version
Bible Gateway passage: 1 Samuel 16 - International Children’s Bible

American serial killer, Ted Bundy, stood out from the other serial killers because of his good looks and charming personality. Bundy was well aware of these traits and exploited them to gain the trust of his victims, while portraying himself either as a vulnerable person or an authority figure.[4][5][6]

Here are my questions:

Did anyone ever feel uncomfortable when a scruffy looking man in tattered clothing approached you for whatever reason? Why or why not?

What about a person from an ethnic minority group considered problematic by mainstream society? Why or why not?

If an attractive person, especially of the opposite gender, approaches you for whatever reason, what is your most common reaction? Would it be the same if that person was not so attractive? Why or why not?

There are people who become internet celebrities simply for being attractive, such as Alex from Target[7][8] and the Ridiculously Photogenic Guy.[9][10] Why do you think that is? How would the internet react if they were considered unattractive? What does this say about our human nature?

Is any of this fair? Why or why not?

Are you offering God a service by giving preferential treatment towards whom society deems desirable in any way? Why or why not? Please read the following Bible passages before answering: 1 Corinthians 1:26-31, James 2, 1 Peter 3:1-7.

NEVER CONFUSE CHARISMA WITH VIRTUE!!!
  1. Halo Effect: Definition and How It Affects Your Daily Life
  2. https://sites.psu.edu/aspsy/2020/10/08/the-halo-effect-on-attraction/
  3. CogBlog – A Cognitive Psychology Blog » The Halo Effect: Swiping Right For the Wrong Reasons
  4. Ted Bundy | Biography, Crimes, Death, & Facts
  5. https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/shadow-boxing/201508/the-bundy-effect
  6. https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-02...-serial-killer-attracted-female-fans/10763676
  7. https://knowyourmeme [dot] com/memes/alex-from-target-alexfromtarget - LANGUAGE WARNING!!!
  8. #AlexFromTarget Hashtag Spawns These Silly Parody Accounts
  9. https://knowyourmeme [dot] com/memes/ridiculously-photogenic-guy - LANGUAGE WARNING!!!
  10. ‘Ridiculously Photogenic Guy’ image goes viral

• Informative
Reactions: Mr. M
Upvote 0

Mr. M

Mar 9, 2020
Prescott, Az
✟39,400.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
We all do. The world calls this The Halo Effect. Basically, attractive people are often perceived and treated much better than those considered less attractive in daily life.[1][2][3]

The fact that God rebuked one of His own prophets for making this same mistake speaks volumes about us as fallen human beings:

~1 Samuel 16:4-7 (NIV)

Bible Gateway passage: 1 Samuel 16 - King James Version
Bible Gateway passage: 1 Samuel 16 - New King James Version
Bible Gateway passage: 1 Samuel 16 - New International Version
Bible Gateway passage: 1 Samuel 16 - International Children’s Bible

American serial killer, Ted Bundy, stood out from the other serial killers because of his good looks and charming personality. Bundy was well aware of these traits and exploited them to gain the trust of his victims, while portraying himself either as a vulnerable person or an authority figure.[4][5][6]

Here are my questions:

Did anyone ever feel uncomfortable when a scruffy looking man in tattered clothing approached you for whatever reason? Why or why not?

What about a person from an ethnic minority group considered problematic by mainstream society? Why or why not?

If an attractive person, especially of the opposite gender, approaches you for whatever reason, what is your most common reaction? Would it be the same if that person was not so attractive? Why or why not?

There are people who become internet celebrities simply for being attractive, such as Alex from Target[7][8] and the Ridiculously Photogenic Guy.[9][10] Why do you think that is? How would the internet react if they were considered unattractive? What does this say about our human nature?

Is any of this fair? Why or why not?

Are you offering God a service by giving preferential treatment towards whom society deems desirable in any way? Why or why not? Please read the following Bible passages before answering: 1 Corinthians 1:26-31, James 2, 1 Peter 3:1-7.

NEVER CONFUSE CHARISMA WITH VIRTUE!!!
  1. Halo Effect: Definition and How It Affects Your Daily Life
  2. https://sites.psu.edu/aspsy/2020/10/08/the-halo-effect-on-attraction/
  3. CogBlog – A Cognitive Psychology Blog » The Halo Effect: Swiping Right For the Wrong Reasons
  4. Ted Bundy | Biography, Crimes, Death, & Facts
  5. https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/shadow-boxing/201508/the-bundy-effect
  6. https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-02...-serial-killer-attracted-female-fans/10763676
  7. https://knowyourmeme [dot] com/memes/alex-from-target-alexfromtarget - LANGUAGE WARNING!!!
  8. #AlexFromTarget Hashtag Spawns These Silly Parody Accounts
  9. https://knowyourmeme [dot] com/memes/ridiculously-photogenic-guy - LANGUAGE WARNING!!!
  10. ‘Ridiculously Photogenic Guy’ image goes viral
Awesome post, Thanks. This came immediately to mind in response.
James 2:
My brethren, do not hold the faith of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Lord of glory, with partiality.
2 For if there should come into your assembly a man with gold rings, in fine apparel, and there
should also come in a poor man in filthy clothes,
3 and you pay attention to the one wearing the fine clothes and say to him, “You sit here in a
good place,” and say to the poor man, “You stand there,” or, “Sit here at my footstool,”
4 have you not shown partiality among yourselves, and become judges with evil thoughts?
5 Listen, my beloved brethren: Has God not chosen the poor of this world to be rich in faith and
heirs of the kingdom which He promised to those who love Him?
6 But you have dishonored the poor man. Do not the rich oppress you and drag you into the courts?
7 Do they not blaspheme that noble name by which you are called?
8 If you really fulfill the royal law according to the Scripture, “You shall love your neighbor as yourself,” you do well;
9 but if you show partiality, you commit sin, and are convicted by the law as transgressors.

• Agree
Reactions: jamiec
Upvote 0

anetazo

Feb 19, 2023
Meriden
✟27,471.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
It's sad some Christian people are spirtualty bankrupt. Thiers motivation speakers, hirelings, taking advantage of people. Hebrew 514. But strong meat belongs to them that are of full age, even those who by reason of use have their senses exercised to discern both good and evil. Some Christian people donate to denominations that teach tradition of men. I'm not knocking churches down. False doctrine is of satan. Some people can't connect the dots. Thiers a movie about the hunchback of Notre dame. Talk about no spirtual morals or spirtualty bankrupt. They judged the hunchback of Notre dame by his appearance. God looks into people's Heart's. Was the hunchback of Notre dame treated fairly ??. Psalm 79:6. Pour out Thy wrath upon the heathen that have not known thee. And upon kingdoms that have not called upon Thy name. If the heathen don't Convert to christianity during millennium, revelation chapter 20, the heathen will be blotted out. The spirtualty dead will have opportunity to work out their salvation and eternal life during millennium. Sadly, at the end of millennium, some will choose to follow satan into lake of fire. Revelation chapter 20 to document. Jesus judges by your motives and desires. Jesus doesn't judge by appearance.

Upvote 0