Do you believe things that are directly contradicted by at least one passage in scripture?

public hermit

social troglodyte
Site Supporter
Aug 20, 2019
East Coast
✟840,617.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Yes, there are definitely things I believe that are contradicted by at least one passage in scripture. There are a number, but I'll give one example. I believe the earth has been revolving around the sun, with a moon revolving around earth, without ceasing throughout its existence. In other words, the sun and moon have never stood still or stopped. And yet, we have...

"And the sun stood still, and the moon stopped," Joshua 10:13

Upvote 0

Aaron112

Dec 19, 2022
TULSA
✟53,912.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Yes, there are definitely things I believe that are contradicted by at least one passage in scripture. There are a number, but I'll give one example. I believe the earth has been revolving around the sun, with a moon revolving around earth, without ceasing throughout its existence.
In other words, the sun and moon have never stood still or stopped. And yet, we have...
"And the sun stood still, and the moon stopped," Joshua 10:13
Do you believe the sun stood still, and the moon stopped ?

Upvote 0

public hermit

social troglodyte
Site Supporter
Aug 20, 2019
East Coast
✟840,617.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

No, but is my post confusing? I meant to say I do not believe the sun stood still, and the moon stopped. Do you? If so, how would that work?

Upvote 0

sunlover1

Beloved, Let us love one another
Nov 10, 2006
Under the Shadow of the Almighty
✟94,511.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Consider the idea that "baptism does not save" and then look at what these verses says
1Peter 3:
"20 Long before, they had refused belief, hoping that God would be patient with them, in the days of Noe. That ark which Noe was then building, in which a few souls, eight in all, found refuge as they passed through the waves,✻​
vv. 19-20: It is certain that this passage represents the holy patriarchs as living in a place of detention, neither heaven nor hell, till our Lord came (cf. Mt. 27.52, 53). It is not clear why the Apostle concentrates his attention on the contemporaries of Noe, or how those who had refused belief attained salvation afterwards; it seems best to suppose that they were incredulous while the ark was being built, and repented when it was too late to escape the Deluge. ‘Hoping that God would be patient with them’; in the Greek, apparently, ‘while God’s patience waited for them’. ‘As they passed through the waves’; some would translate ‘by means of water’, but this does not apply to the story in Genesis; Christian baptism typifies passing through the waters of death (cf. I Cor. 10.2).
21 was a type of the baptism which saves us now. Our baptism is not a putting away of outward defilement; it is the test which assures us of a good conscience before God, through the resurrection of Jesus Christ.✻​
‘The test which assures us of a good conscience’; the Greek might also mean ‘the petition for a good conscience’."​
and think about this belief "We are saved by faith alone" and then look at what this passage says
James 2:​
"24 Do you see that a man is justified by means of works, and not by faith alone?"​

Take some time to think about it. Your own most cherished beliefs are contradicted by at least one passage of scripture.
I do believe in Scripture, even when it seems contradictory!
Because I've never found it to be so, once the Holy Spirit unveiled it.
It's such an exciting thread! Yay!

Upvote 0

Clare73

Blood-bought
Jun 12, 2012
North Carolina
✟278,454.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
For me, on those kinds of irresolvable texts, I am happy to believe what Scripture presents and in the way it presents it.

My attitude is, if that is the way God wants me to think about, that is good enough for me, until he reveals another way to think about it.
I have nothing vested in it being either way.

Upvote 0

Xeno.of.athens

I will give you the keys of the Kingdom of heaven.
May 18, 2022
Perth
✟127,536.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I do believe in Scripture, even when it seems contradictory!
Because I've never found it to be so, once the Holy Spirit unveiled it.
It's such an exciting thread! Yay!
It is intended to be a thought provoking thread. It's a good thing to be asked if (and why) one's beliefs appear to contradict something written in the scriptures.

Upvote 0

Aaron112

Dec 19, 2022
TULSA
✟53,912.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
In Relationship
No, but is my post confusing? I meant to say I do not believe the sun stood still, and the moon stopped. Do you? If so, how would that work?
What do you think happened then, if the sun did not stand still (as was apparently noted around the world by different peoples, though I have no way to verify that) ...

Upvote 0

Xeno.of.athens

I will give you the keys of the Kingdom of heaven.
May 18, 2022
Perth
✟127,536.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Thus if someone wants to follow Jesus, to be His disciple,
they must , as Jesus Says Himself,
give up everything to follow Him. even as you say 'cherished' beliefs , eh?
Give up their cherished beliefs? Perhaps, but a belief can be mistaken and when a mistake is recognised and corrected a belief that is more sound, more true, is what one receives.

Upvote 0

Aaron112

Dec 19, 2022
TULSA
✟53,912.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Of course, by God's Doing, as HE Says, the sun stood still and the moon stopped.

No question , no doubt at all.

How does anything work ? What's to work ?

Upvote 0

Aaron112

Dec 19, 2022
TULSA
✟53,912.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Give up their cherished beliefs? Perhaps, but a belief can be mistaken and when a mistake is recognised and corrected a belief tat is more sound, more true is what one receives.
No one can obey two masters - only one.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Aaron112

Dec 19, 2022
TULSA
✟53,912.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
In Relationship
For me, on those kinds of irresolvable texts, I am happy to believe what Scripture presents and in the way it presents it.

My attitude is, if that is the way God wants me to think about, that is good enough for me, until he reveals another way to think about it.
I have nothing vested in it being either way.
What do you think is irresolvable ? I thought it is plain in Scripture ....

Upvote 0

public hermit

social troglodyte
Site Supporter
Aug 20, 2019
East Coast
✟840,617.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
What do you think happened then, if the sun did not stand still (as was apparently noted around the world by different peoples, though I have no way to verify that) ...

I'd be interested to see a source on that. Do you have one?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Aaron112

Dec 19, 2022
TULSA
✟53,912.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
In Relationship
I'd be interested to see a source on that. Do you have one?
You could be my source here, so to speak. I think you were the first one to quote it.
If not, if someone else did before you in this thread, that's okay too.

Upvote 0

public hermit

social troglodyte
Site Supporter
Aug 20, 2019
East Coast
✟840,617.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Of course, by God's Doing, as HE Says, the sun stood still and the moon stopped.

No question , no doubt at all.

How does anything work ? What's to work ?

Oh, so you see no difficulty in what would be entailed if that were true? If you need to brush up on the revolution of planets, rotation of earth, gravity,.etc., then you might want to do that. Do you also believe in a flat earth. If not, why not?

Upvote 0

Aaron112

Dec 19, 2022
TULSA
✟53,912.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Oh, so you see no difficulty in what would be entailed if that were true? If you need to brush up on the revolution of planets, rotation of earth, gravity,.etc., then you might want to do that. Do you also believe in a flat earth. If not, why not?
The Creator of all things, From Whom Flows all things, Who Created the Earth, Sun and Moon and Starts....
Who saves sinners from the penalty of death (as written),

He is well able to do all that is revealed in Scripture.. So He Has Done... no man can come close to contest Him ...

Flat earth is up in the air (haha).... apparently a lot but not all people once believed it, sometimes if only because the powers that be lied so often, sometimes maybe for other reasons ?

Upvote 0

public hermit

social troglodyte
Site Supporter
Aug 20, 2019
East Coast
✟840,617.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Flat earth is up in the air (haha)

^_^ Nice

The Creator of all things, From Whom Flows all things, Who Created the Earth, Sun and Moon and Starts....
Who saves sinners from the penalty of death (as written),

He is well able to do all that is revealed in Scripture.. So He Has Done... no man can come close to contest Him ..

Would you say scripture is God? Is scripture perfect just as God is perfect? Do we now have two perfect entities in reality, God and scripture? Do you see where I'm going? The scriptures are not perfect. Hence, we need not accept some claim found within them if doing so means we deny the reasonable, obvious, and good.

I tend toward the notion that there are two books of revelation: creation and the scriptures. Both reveal the divine but in different ways. Science is not the only way to read the book of creation but it is definitely included. Moreover, I would say Christians who disregard, out of hand, what enjoys widespread agreement that transcends the particulars of language, culture, and social location because they read a verse in ancient scriptures do not only do themselves a disservice, but they do all Christians a disservice.

Augustine agreed:
Usually, even a non-Christian knows something about the earth, the heavens, and the other elements of this world, about the motion and orbit of the stars and even their size and relative positions, about the predictable eclipses of the sun and moon, the cycles of the years and the seasons, about the kinds of animals, shrubs, stones, and so forth, and this knowledge he holds to as being certain from reason and experience. Now, it is a disgraceful and dangerous thing for an infidel to hear a Christian, presumably giving the meaning of Holy Scripture, talking non-sense on these topics; and we should take all means to prevent such an embarrassing situation, in which people show up vast ignorance in a Christian and laugh it to scorn. The shame is not so much that an ignorant individual is derided, but that people outside the household of the faith think our sacred writers held such opinions, and, to the great loss of those for whose salvation we toil, the writers of our Scripture are criticized and rejected as unlearned men. If they find a Christian mistaken in a field which they themselves know well and hear him maintaining his foolish opinions about our books, how are they going to believe those books in matters concerning the resurrection of the dead, the hope of eternal life, and the kingdom of heaven, when they think their pages are full of falsehoods on facts which they themselves have learnt from experience and the light of reason? Reckless and incompetent expounders of holy Scripture bring untold trouble and sorrow on their wiser brethren when they are caught in one of their mischievous false opinions and are taken to task by those who are not bound by the authority of our sacred books. For then, to defend their utterly foolish and obviously untrue statements, they will try to call upon Holy Scripture for proof and even recite from memory many passages which they think support their position, although “they understand neither what they say nor the things about which they make assertion.

The Literal Meaning of Genesis, book 1, chapters 19

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Aaron112

Dec 19, 2022
TULSA
✟53,912.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
In Relationship
we deny the reasonable, obvious, and good.
This is what God calls superfluous (un-needed, un-helpful at best; harmful too often) things of mankind. Notably what man calls good, and esteems, God calls abominations.
The one you quoted in the post may or may not be harmful or helpful. I don't trust the source at all.

Upvote 0