Do you believe there is other life in the universe?

Do you believe there is other life in the universe?

• Yes

• No

• I don't have a clue

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.

Izdaari Eristikon

Mar 12, 2007
Post Falls, Idaho
✟32,841.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Married
We cannot know, at least not until we discover some. The Bible's silence on the matter isn't evidence against, only that we had no need to know. God doesn't tell us everything. Some things He seems to expect us to learn for ourselves. Personally, I don't think He would've made the universe this big without creating life elsewhere as well. Of course that's just speculation: It seems so to me, but I can't know for sure.

Upvote 0

DavidPresently

Jun 29, 2007
Ohio
Visit site
✟16,731.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Why should we limit the limitless God with religious dogma? He doesn't have to mention something specifically through Scripture for it to exist in this Universe. Furthermore, we don't even know if this is the only created Universe.

When Christians speak from ignorance, and claim such is sticking to The Bible, it plays out later to make Christianity look foolish. When we look foolish, like the Christians claiming the dogmatic tradition of a flat earth were proven wrong, it then makes Scripture look foolish, because The Bible gets judged with the Christians who claim their belief comes from such.

In the end, such dogmatic religious closed-minded thinking only ends up serving the adversary to lead intelligent people away from Christ, not toward him. Thus, those very Christians thinking they do God service in their dogmatism actually end up serving the adversary's goals.

So, just like the shape of the earth should have been left open until all the evidence was in, we should leave the life out there in the Universe question remain open until the evidence is in. If we search all galaxies and planetary systems and find no life and come to the ends of the created Universe, we can then, and only then, rightly say no to this question. If there is any evidence or good reason that life does exist elsewhere, we could answer yes and most likely be correct. Until then, maybe (not a choice on this poll) is the best answer.

My answer is, "Maybe, and most likely yes." The very character of God who is Life and who is creativity suggests one little planet in all of the cosmos is not all of his handiwork.

Much of the ideology of religious men who thought the Earth is the center of the Universe and solar system stills hangs on today, though such has been utterly disproved by the facts with ample evidence.

Scripture is written from an Earth-based perspective of mankind because it is about man on Earth and how Earth men are to relate to God. Like another poster said, we are told what we need to know to come to right relationship with God. Scripture is not all in all. All details of everything are not in Scripture. Even if all the great works Jesus did in his brief earthly ministry were recorded, John said the books would be so numerous as to fill the world. In other words, he's telling us that the things given in the Gospel accounts are only examples, not to be considered all that Jesus did and said.

Yet, religious men still feel most comfortable putting God in a box using Scripture to do so. This is not the correct purpose of Scripture - limiting God to what is written therein. The correct purpose is to communicate to mankind how to come to right relationship with each other and God. The teachings in it are foundation, not everything there is to know. They lay the foundation and are a road map for us to God.

"Scripture only" is beneficial if we are strictly speaking of what is authoritative for religious practice. Otherwise it is a hindrance to knowing all the Truth, which is only spoken of and pointed to by Scripture. Scripture does not contain all Truth. But all it contains is there to point us to Truth. It gets us on the right path, to Life. Jesus tried to explain this to the religious folk of his generation on Earth but the religious leaders refused his teaching. They refused to give up their religious dogma to follow after the Truth incarnate as a man in front of them.

Likewise, we see this today. Like them, these religious folk today actually idolize Scripture, and treat it as God, instead of inspired writings God gave through his servants to give a map for all mankind of how to have a right relationship with God. Those who settle for book knowledge, instead of an intimate and growing/expanding relationship with God in Christ, are depriving themselves of greater bliss and greater knowledge of the Truth learned by experience.

It is like a mechanic who only knows what he's read in books, but has never worked on mechanical things to gain experience. Even crazier is that such mechanics would ever consider correcting a mechanic who has been working on machines for many years and has first hand experience, but do some things the book mechanics don't understand or know about because it is not specifically detailed in those books. They may say, "Hey! What are you doing!? That is not in our books! You can't fix it like that!" The experienced mechanic would be right in ignoring such. He knows what works, not by theory, but through practice.

So, be explorers of the Universe, and of the Spirit. Don't let the religious dogmatism hold you back in limits when God calls you to partake in the infinite.

Upvote 0

New_Wineskin

Contributor
Jun 26, 2004
Elizabethtown , PA , usa
✟13,854.00
Faith
Non-Denom
No .

What makes you believe one way or the other?

There is no evidence to support such a belief .

This is what gets me about the so-called "scientists" that exist today . They believe ( actually they wish it were so ) in things that have no proof - something upon which a true scientist needs to base their beliefs ,

Upvote 0

Tobias

Relationship over Religion
Jan 8, 2004
California
✟21,764.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Private
Why should we limit the limitless God with religious dogma? He doesn't have to mention something specifically through Scripture for it to exist in this Universe. Furthermore, we don't even know if this is the only created Universe.

When Christians speak from ignorance, and claim such is sticking to The Bible, it plays out later to make Christianity look foolish. When we look foolish, like the Christians claiming the dogmatic tradition of a flat earth were proven wrong, it then makes Scripture look foolish, because The Bible gets judged with the Christians who claim their belief comes from such.

In the end, such dogmatic religious closed-minded thinking only ends up serving the adversary to lead intelligent people away from Christ, not toward him. Thus, those very Christians thinking they do God service in their dogmatism actually end up serving the adversary's goals.

So, just like the shape of the earth should have been left open until all the evidence was in, we should leave the life out there in the Universe question remain open until the evidence is in. If we search all galaxies and planetary systems and find no life and come to the ends of the created Universe, we can then, and only then, rightly say no to this question. If there is any evidence or good reason that life does exist elsewhere, we could answer yes and most likely be correct. Until then, maybe (not a choice on this poll) is the best answer.

My answer is, "Maybe, and most likely yes." The very character of God who is Life and who is creativity suggests one little planet in all of the cosmos is not all of his handiwork.

I'll check this box with my vote! Well said, David! :thumbsup:

Upvote 0

gratefulgrace

Contributor
Jul 26, 2006
British Columbia
✟32,492.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
We cannot know, at least not until we discover some. The Bible's silence on the matter isn't evidence against, only that we had no need to know. God doesn't tell us everything. Some things He seems to expect us to learn for ourselves. Personally, I don't think He would've made the universe this big without creating life elsewhere as well. Of course that's just speculation: It seems so to me, but I can't know for sure.

Yeah what she said. :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

DavidPresently

Jun 29, 2007
Ohio
Visit site
✟16,731.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
No .

There is no evidence to support such a belief .

This is what gets me about the so-called "scientists" that exist today . They believe ( actually they wish it were so ) in things that have no proof - something upon which a true scientist needs to base their beliefs ,

There is more evidence pointing to more life existing in the Universe than there is that Earth would be the only planet with life. Even mathematical probability says so. Math is about logic, not wishes or belief.

The reason for lack of hard proof is simply explained, and it does not mean there is no life out there. It is that we have very limited experience in the Universe and have not been able to explore the many star systems with planets in them.

We do now know there are other planets orbiting stars, however, by measurements taken of oscillating stars being affected by the gravitational pull of orbiting planets.

Our God is a creative God of Life. Having created such a vast Universe of many star systems in many galaxies, millions of galaxies even, each with billions or even trillions of stars, it would make no sense this creative God of Life would only be creative with life on one planet. The very idea when thought of in this way is absurd.

As others have pointed out, the lack of evidence for something does not prove it doesn't exist. This goes for scientists or non-scientist. It could simply mean that our exploration has not been thorough enough. In the case of the Universe, we should all be able to agree that we have not explored enough to rightly state, "No, there is no other life in the Universe." Such as statement is utterly foolish.

Upvote 0

Faulty

bind on pick up
Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2005
✟64,989.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
No.

1. The Bible indicates that the whole creation groans and travails under the weight of sin (Romans 8:18–22). The effect of the Curse following Adam’s Fall was universal. Otherwise what would be the point of God destroying this whole creation to make way for a new heavens and Earth—2 Peter 3:13, Revelation 21:1? Therefore, any life elsewhere would have been unjustly affected by the Adamic Curse, through no fault of their own, as they would not have inherited Adam’s sin nature.

2. When Jesus appeared in the flesh, He came to Earth not only to redeem mankind but eventually the whole creation back to Himself (Romans 8:21, Colossians 1:20). However, Christ’s atoning death at Calvary cannot save these hypothetical aliens, because one needs to be a physical descendant of Adam for Christ to be our ‘kinsman-redeemer’ (Isaiah 59:20). Jesus was called ‘the last Adam’ because there was a real first man, Adam (1 Corinthians 15:22,45), not an alien. There is no provision given for the redemption of any other lifeform, including angels.

3. Any other life would be lost for eternity when this present creation is destroyed in a fervent heat (2 Peter 3:10, 12), so Christ’s sacrifice would have to be repeated elsewhere for other beings. However, Christ died once for all (Romans 6:10, 1 Peter 3:18) on the earth. He is not going to be crucified and resurrected again on other planets (Hebrews 9:26). This is confirmed by the fact that the redeemed, and earthly church is known as Christ’s bride (Ephesians 5:22–33; Revelation 19:7–9) in a marriage that will last for eternity.

4. God has made us a little lower than the angels, but raised us up above them to sit on His throne, and they were around even before the creation because they sang and shouted for joy when it was made.(Job 38:6-7)

The size of the universe is not an argument for other life, as God could have chosen to create a universe two planets big and place life on both had He wished. Size makes no difference unless you partially bought into some form of the evolution lie.

Math and probability can be used to determine the 'what' of creation, but not the 'why'. If God has determined to start with the angels, then with us, there is no amount of number-crunching that will change that fact. If the math don't match the Scripture, the math is lying.

Reactions: Tamara224
Upvote 0
Sep 29, 2008
San Diego, CA
✟10,277.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I'm not sure if anyone has thought of this, but I'll give it a go. The universe and its galaxies seem to be so limitless that it's hard for me to not believe in the possibility of life somewhere other than here. But, as a Christian, I know that Jesus Christ was born as a human, and died for our sins for those that accept him, and gives us our place in heaven.

If there are other planets with their own form of intelligent aliens (to us), wouldn't this mean that God would have to have a Jesus type be born on each planet in order to save them? Or if not, does this mean that God only cares about humans (Just saying)? It's a lot to take in, and I haven't made up my mind one way or another.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

DavidPresently

Jun 29, 2007
Ohio
Visit site
✟16,731.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I'm not sure if anyone has thought of this, but I'll give it a go. The universe and its galaxies seem to be so limitless that it's hard for me to not believe in the possibility of life somewhere other than here. But, as a Christian, I know that Jesus Christ was born as a human, and died for our sins for those that accept him, and gives us our place in heaven.

If there are other planets with their own form of intelligent aliens (to us), wouldn't this mean that God would have to have a Jesus type be born on each planet in order to save them? Or if not, does this mean that God only cares about humans (Just saying)? It's a lot to take in, and I haven't made up my mind one way or another.

First, the question in this thread does not say "intelligent" life. Second, it does not specify if it did say intelligent if that means in God's image like Adamkind.

Even if speaking of intelligent life, as in as intelligent as humanity on Earth, your reasoning is assuming they fell into sin and death also and therefore needed the same redemption we do.

The writer of Hebrews specifies that the work of Jesus as Christ is unique for the sons of Adam. Only Adam and that which was put under Adam (the Earth) is given this redemption in Christ.

Does that mean God doesn't love other intelligent creations, like angels, as much as Adam? Maybe. Maybe not. Angels don't have the same problem - their fall is not complete to their race. Only some of them followed temptation to sin and death.

The point being, we shouldn't assume other life on other worlds means they are "intelligent" like we and angels are. If they are, we shouldn't assume they are a fallen race who were created in the image of God, tested, and failed that test, then graciously given redemption. Fallen angels aren't redeemed by Christ, and angels that haven't fallen from their estate don't need any redemption. They've never been separated from God.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.