Do you believe Satan is a literal being?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Benedicta00

Jun 25, 2003
Visit site
✟40,563.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
How could Christ be 100% MAN and not be born with the same nature that MEN are born with?

Heb 4:15 For we have not an high priest which cannot be touched with the feeling of our infirmities; but was in all points tempted like as we are, yet without sin.

It seems to me that it is not the temptation that is "sin", but the giving in to the temptation that results in sin.

Heb 2:14-15 Forasmuch then as the children are partakers of flesh and blood, he also himself likewise took part of the same; that through death he might destroy him that had the power of death, that is, the devil; 15 And deliver them who through fear of death were all their lifetime subject to bondage.

Rev 3:21 To him that overcometh will I grant to sit with me in my throne, even as I also overcame, and am set down with my Father in his throne.

Christ overcame the flesh (the carnal mind) so that we can overcome also (through Him). He comes to us and does IN US what He accomplished IN HIMSELF - so that AS HE IS SO ARE WE. :thumbsup:

Would you disagree?
He is born with the same nature. He just isn't fallen.

We weren't made fallen, God did not create us as fallen ppl- sin did that.

Jesus is not born in sin- we are, so we inherit the fallen nature. Jesus doesn't.

His nature is what ours was originally, what it would be if Adam had not fallen. What it will be again in heaven.

BUT we should not mope about it becuase through Christ we have a even better deal, which is redemption to know the love and mery of God to save us in the way he did.

Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Hebrews 2:14.... Pesky Devil, git!
Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
He is born with the same nature. He just isn't fallen.

We weren't made fallen, God did not create us as fallen ppl- sin did that.

Jesus is not born in sin- we are, so we inherit the fallen nature. Jesus doesn't.

His nature is what ours was originally, what it would be if Adam had not fallen. What it will be again in heaven.

BUT we should not mope about it becuase through Christ we have a even better deal, which is redemption to know the love and mery of God to save us in the way he did.
Hi. Do you think that greek word for "lightning" used in Luke 10 could also signify a "bright star", as it is taken from the same greek word used for star. Just curious. Thanks.

Luke 10:18 He said yet to them: "I beheld the Satan, as lightning/astraphn <796> out of the heaven, falling/pesonta <4098> (5631) ".

Luke 10:18 eipen <2036> (5627) {HE SAID} de <1161> {YET} autoiV <846> {TO THEM,} eqewroun <2334> (5707) {I BEHELD} ton <3588> {THE} satanan <4567> {SATAN} wV <5613> {AS} astraphn <796> {LIGHTNING} ek <1537> {OUT} tou <3588> {OF THE} ouranou <3772> {HEAVEN} pesonta <4098> (5631) {FALLING.}

796. astrape as-trap-ay' from 797; lightning; by analogy, glare:--lightning, bright shining.
797. astrapto as-trap'-to probably from 792; to flash as lightning:--lighten, shine.
792. aster as-tare' probably from the base of 4766; a star (as strown over the sky), literally or figuratively:--star.

Reve 9:1 And the 5th messenger sounds a trumpet, and I perceive a Star/astera <792> out of the heaven, having fallen/peptwkota <4098>(5761) into/to the land[f], and was given to him the key[f] of the well/pit[n] of the Abyss[f], 2 and he opens up the well/pit of the abyss, and did ascend/anebh <305> smoke out of the well/pit, as smoke of great furnace,

Upvote 0

breakfastclub17

Apr 17, 2007
✟7,832.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
AngelMom (love the name),
the whole stain of sin stuff goes off topic, but no I do not agree. Adam and Ever were created without the stain of our fallen nature, yet were able to sin because they were free to choose.
Jesus IS 100% Man because everything that made Him human came from Mary, another human. Humans are free to make choices. As a Man, Jesus was free to choose when tempted by Satan. His life does indeed shows us that it is possible overcome, to always make the right choice. But saying all that is VERY different than the claim being made here.​
It is being said here that Jesus could sin in his mind, ie for example contemplate tempting God or rejecting God in order to have all earth bow to Him. Sin is sin, whether an act or thought. You cannot have Jesus commiting sin by saying these verses represent him contemplating sinful acts in His mind. Even if you say well He overcame sin and did not do it. He would still be sinning.​

I would have to disagree somewhat.

I believe, if you are tempted, you are not sinning. But if you give into that temptation what so ever, you now are.

Luther said "You can't stop the Birds from flying over your head, but you can stop them from making a nest in your hair".

Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Hebrews 2:14.... Pesky Devil, git!
Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
(Off-topic)(God actually runs hell...............)
:thumbsup: The LORD is always ALL in ALL but even He can give permission to use an "Adverary" against His enemies.

Reve 17:16 and the ten horns which you perceived and the wild beast, these shall be hating the prostitute and having been desolated they shall be making her and naked and the fleshes of her they shall be eating and her they shall be burning down in fire.
17 For the God gives into the hearts of them to do the opinion/mind of Him and to do/make one opinion/mind and to give the kingdom of them to the wild beast until shall be being accomplished the Words of the God.

Upvote 0

Chickapee

Dec 18, 2006
U.S
✟17,973.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
TO ME SATAN IS A SPIRIT OF ADVERSITY ...

anyone ? got me to lookin lol ;)

Eph 6:12 For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high [places].

lilltle lamb wondering here if the stars[angels messengers ] fall are the same as satan ,adversity against the will of GOD , the rulers of darkness [princes of this world] falling ??
seeing all these verses connected true enough ?

Mat 24:29 Immediately after the tribulation of those days shall the sun be darkened, and the moon shall not give her light, and the stars shall fall from heaven, and the powers of the heavens shall be shaken:

Mar 13:25 And the stars of heaven shall fall, and the powers that are in heaven shall be shaken.

the casting out
Blue Letter Bible - Lexicon NOT A SHARE in an inheritance to recive power etc ..,
?staying in darkness instead of the LIGHT OF GOD Mat 8:12But the children of the kingdom shall be cast out into outer darkness: there shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth.

Jhn 12:31 Now is the judgment of this world: now shall the prince of this world be cast out.

Jhn 14:30 Hereafter I will not talk much with you: for the prince of this world cometh, and hath nothing in me.

Jhn 16:11 Of judgment, because the prince of this world is judged.

Eph 2:2 Wherein in time past ye walked according to the course of this world, according to the prince of the power of the air,

the spirit that now worketh in the children of disobedience:

and the spirit the fills and puffs up the heart! throne , what rules the heart

Jhn 13:2 And supper being ended, the devil having now put into the heart of Judas Iscariot, Simon's [son], to betray him;

Act 5:3 But Peter said, Ananias, why hath Satan filled thine heart to lie to the Holy Ghost, and to keep back [part] of the price of the land?

this helped me to understand much better what we are ALL dealing with in this world the spirit contrary to the WILL OF GOD

PEACE ,,,c

Upvote 0

leothelioness

Apr 4, 2006
Southern US
✟112,055.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
And why? I've been wanting to ask this for a long time, but havent gotten around to it. I do not believe Satan is a literal, physical being. I believe the devil is a metaphor for the concept of sin and wrongdoing, and I see nothing that would lead anybody to believe otherwise.

Well, there is maybe the Isiah passage that speaks about a "lucifer" which could lead some to beleive that, but maybe they are talking about the King of Babylon at the time. idk, i am always open to new interpretations of the Bible and Christianity, so any thoughts/ideas?
Yes, I believe that Satan is as real as myself, he just isn't physical.

Let me ask you this, if Satan is fictional and a "metaphor" as you say, then are his demons also fictional? Is the Archangel Michael fictional? Is Gabriel fictional? Was the snake in the Garden fictional?

Also, since Satan is eventually supposed to be cast into hell, is hell also fictional and a metaphor?

Upvote 0

angelmom01

Veteran
Site Supporter
Dec 21, 2006
✟50,359.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
AngelMom (love the name),​

the whole stain of sin stuff goes off topic, but no I do not agree. Adam and Ever were created without the stain of our fallen nature, yet were able to sin because they were free to choose.​

Jesus IS 100% Man because everything that made Him human came from Mary, another human. Humans are free to make choices. As a Man, Jesus was free to choose when tempted by Satan. His life does indeed shows us that it is possible overcome, to always make the right choice. But saying all that is VERY different than the claim being made here.​

It is being said here that Jesus could sin in his mind, ie for example contemplate tempting God or rejecting God in order to have all earth bow to Him. Sin is sin, whether an act or thought. You cannot have Jesus commiting sin by saying these verses represent him contemplating sinful acts in His mind. Even if you say well He overcame sin and did not do it. He would still be sinning.​
Hi DrBubbaLove:wave:

Let me ask you this then.... what is the difference if the temptation was internal or external?

If it was external then he wasn't "really" tempted? Or it just wasn't "his fault"? :confused:

He was tempted the same way we are whether that is internal or external to us. So I don't see what the difference is or what difference it makes, honestly. :sorry:

Upvote 0

DrBubbaLove

Roman Catholic convert from Southern Baptist
Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2004
Left coast
✟77,600.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Will try. :wave:
Jesus said we can sin merely in thinking of doing wrong (internal). We know other people, things and apparently demons can tempt us (external).
True all sin begins must include thought (and the Church says consent), but an eternal temptation can begin by the actions of others, in this case a demon, the leader of demons.

So of the two possibilities presented in this thread, metaphor or real external temptation, one has Jesus being tempted by a real external force and Him resisting that force. Which in no way could be construed as a sin for Him to do this.

The other would have to have Jesus Himself contemplating, not just a passing thought, but contemplating rejecting God's Sovereignty, testing God and even rejecting God. Am not sure how you have a sinless Jesus dwelling on committing such sins of the highest order without it being a sin for Him to do so.

So to me there is a big difference in saying one is tempted by something external and resists, than saying one is comtemplating committing a grave sin and resists actually committing the act. In this later case, one has already sinned.

Jesus tells us that the fact I do not do what I think about doing, that I am still guilty of that sin. One could argue that this form (internal thoughts) of any given sin might be of a lessor nature than the actual act, perhaps mitigated by emotions or passions etc. But do not think from what scriptures say that we could argue it would not be a sin.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

DrBubbaLove

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2004
Left coast
✟77,600.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I would have to disagree somewhat.

I believe, if you are tempted, you are not sinning. But if you give into that temptation what so ever, you now are.

Luther said "You can't stop the Birds from flying over your head, but you can stop them from making a nest in your hair".
but we are not talking here about a random thought of stealing that pie, a lustful thought that comes and is immediately released gone.

We are talking about the Son of God contemplating testing and even rejecting God. You cannot sin any more than such sins, yet we are suppose to think it would be ok for Jesus to be shown seriously thinking about doing these things. God forbid!

You cannot have a sinless Jesus and submit that He was seriously thinking about doing these things.

Upvote 0

angelmom01

Veteran
Site Supporter
Dec 21, 2006
✟50,359.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
TO ME SATAN IS A SPIRIT OF ADVERSITY ...

PEACE ,,,c
Hey Chickapee!! :wave:

I was thinking the same thing. ;) And thought of the same verse (one of them) that you did:

Eph 2:1-3 And you hath he quickened, who were dead in trespasses and sins; 2 Wherein in time past ye walked according to the course of this world, according to the prince of the power of the air, the spirit that now worketh in the children of disobedience: 3 Among whom also we all had our conversation in times past in the lusts of our flesh, fulfilling the desires of the flesh and of the mind; and were by nature the children of wrath, even as others.

It is that spirit in man that rules the carnal mind, and drives the lusts of the flesh and of the mind, that causes men to walk in darkness, having "no life" in them ... making many men "the angels" OF SATAN (just as Paul was "an angel" OF THE LORD :angel: ).

And the only way to overcome THAT SPIRIT (of adversity) is through THE SPIRIT OF CHRIST (IN YOU).

It is man's NATURAL/CARNAL nature that is God's adversary. :(

Rom 8:7 Because the carnal mind is enmity against God: for it is not subject to the law of God, neither indeed can be.

But: ;)

1Jo 5:4 For whatsoever is born of God overcometh the world: and this is the victory that overcometh the world, even our faith.

1Jo 5:5 Who is he that overcometh the world, but he that believeth that Jesus is the Son of God?

Rev 2:7 He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches; To him that overcometh will I give to eat of the tree of life, which is in the midst of the paradise of God.

Rev 2:11 He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches; He that overcometh shall not be hurt of the second death.

Rev 2:17 He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches; To him that overcometh will I give to eat of the hidden manna, and will give him a white stone, and in the stone a new name written, which no man knoweth saving he that receiveth it.

Rev 2:26 And he that overcometh, and keepeth my works unto the end, to him will I give power over the nations:

Rev 3:5 He that overcometh, the same shall be clothed in white raiment; and I will not blot out his name out of the book of life, but I will confess his name before my Father, and before his angels.

Rev 3:12 Him that overcometh will I make a pillar in the temple of my God, and he shall go no more out: and I will write upon him the name of my God, and the name of the city of my God, which is new Jerusalem, which cometh down out of heaven from my God: and I will write upon him my new name.

Rev 3:21 To him that overcometh will I grant to sit with me in my throne, even as I also overcame, and am set down with my Father in his throne.

Rev 21:7 He that overcometh shall inherit all things; and I will be his God, and he shall be my son.

:amen:

Certainly A VERY REAL SPIRIT that rules the lives and minds of carnal men. :(

Upvote 0

angelmom01

Veteran
Site Supporter
Dec 21, 2006
✟50,359.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Will try. :wave:
Jesus said we can sin merely in thinking of doing wrong (internal). We know other people, things and apparently demons can tempt us (external).
True all sin begins must include thought (and the Church says consent), but an eternal temptation can begin by the actions of others, in this case a demon, the leader of demons.

So of the two possibilities presented in this thread, metaphor or real external temptation, one has Jesus being tempted by a real external force and Him resisting that force. Which in no way could be construed as a sin for Him to do this.

The other would have to have Jesus Himself contemplating, not just a passing thought, but contemplating rejecting God's Sovereignty, testing God and even rejecting God. Am not sure how you have a sinless Jesus dwelling on committing such sins of the highest order without it being a sin for Him to do so.

So to me there is a big difference in saying one is tempted by something external and resists, than saying one is comtemplating committing a grave sin and resists actually committing the act. In this later case, one has already sinned.

Jesus tells us that the fact I do not do what I think about doing, that I am still guilty of that sin. One could argue that this form (internal thoughts) of any given sin might be of a lessor nature than the actual act, perhaps mitigated by emotions or passions etc. But do not think from what scriptures say that we could argue it would not be a sin.
I still don't see the difference. :o

But I assume that you are referring to Christ saying that if a man lusts after a woman in his heart that he is already guilty of adultery? Wouldn't that be because the "act" was already comitted in his mind/heart? He didn't "overcome" the temptation simply by THINKING about doing it instread of PHYSICALLY doing it. So the sin is still there in his heart.

I don't think that anyone has claimed that Jesus Christ in being tempted by Satan actually seriously contemplated and considered taking what was being offered to Him. The simple fact is that Jesus Christ was GOD and as such He had ALL POWER AND AUTHORITY in which to have/take those things that Satan was offering to Him. Recall that He even asked IF IT WERE POSSIBLE that the cup that He was given to drink PASS FROM HIM. How was that not sinful by your way of thinking - if even the thought is a sin?

I don't believe that Christ ever "seriously considered" not doing the will of the Father but that doesn't mean that his human nature wasn't "tempted" to choose something other than the will of God. We know that He WAS tempted and He overcame and He is now our High Priest. :amen:

Just because the temptation presented itself doesn't mean that He seriuosly considered acting upon it. ;) It just shows US that He suffered the same temptations that we do - yet WITHOUT SIN... and through Him WE can overcome the lusts of the flesh and of the mind as well. :clap:

Upvote 0

DrBubbaLove

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2004
Left coast
✟77,600.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

But I assume that you are referring to Christ saying that if a man lusts after a woman in his heart that he is already guilty of adultery? Wouldn't that be because the "act" was already comitted in his mind/heart? He didn't "overcome" the temptation simply by THINKING about doing it instread of PHYSICALLY doing it. So the sin is still there in his heart.

I don't think that anyone has claimed that Jesus Christ in being tempted by Satan actually seriously contemplated and considered taking what was being offered to Him. The simple fact is that Jesus Christ was GOD and as such He had ALL POWER AND AUTHORITY in which to have/take those things that Satan was offering to Him. Recall that He even asked IF IT WERE POSSIBLE that the cup that He was given to drink PASS FROM HIM. How was that not sinful by your way of thinking - if even the thought is a sin?

I don't believe that Christ ever "seriously considered" not doing the will of the Father but that doesn't mean that his human nature wasn't "tempted" to choose something other than the will of God. We know that He WAS tempted and He overcame and He is now our High Priest. :amen:

Just because the temptation presented itself doesn't mean that He seriuosly considered acting upon it. ;) It just shows US that He suffered the same temptations that we do - yet WITHOUT SIN... and through Him WE can overcome the lusts of the flesh and of the mind as well. :clap:
think we missed each other.

Am saying if (as in the OP) that there is no satan and this 40 days was simply a metaphor for resisting temptation in general, then we are saying all this took place in Jesus mind. Which am saying is just wrong on the basis that it would be a sin to seriously contemplate rejecting God.

Which would be impossible for Jesus, so it could not be a metaphor, ie it really happened, therefore Satan is real.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Chickapee

Dec 18, 2006
U.S
✟17,973.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hey Chickapee!! :wave:

I was thinking the same thing. And thought of the same verse (one of them) that you did:

Eph 2:1-3 And you hath he quickened, who were dead in trespasses and sins; 2 Wherein in time past ye walked according to the course of this world, according to the prince of the power of the air, the spirit that now worketh in the children of disobedience: 3 Among whom also we all had our conversation in times past in the lusts of our flesh, fulfilling the desires of the flesh and of the mind; and were by nature the children of wrath, even as others.

It is that spirit in man that rules the carnal mind, and drives the lusts of the flesh and of the mind, that causes men to walk in darkness, having "no life" in them ... making many men "the angels" OF SATAN (just as Paul was "an angel" OF THE LORD ).

And the only way to overcome THAT SPIRIT (of adversity) is through THE SPIRIT OF CHRIST (IN YOU).

It is man's NATURAL/CARNAL nature that is God's adversary. :(

Rom 8:7 Because the carnal mind is enmity against God: for it is not subject to the law of God, neither indeed can be.

But: ;)

1Jo 5:4 For whatsoever is born of God overcometh the world: and this is the victory that overcometh the world, even our faith.

1Jo 5:5 Who is he that overcometh the world, but he that believeth that Jesus is the Son of God?

Rev 2:7 He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches; To him that overcometh will I give to eat of the tree of life, which is in the midst of the paradise of God.

Rev 2:11 He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches; He that overcometh shall not be hurt of the second death.

Rev 2:17 He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches; To him that overcometh will I give to eat of the hidden manna, and will give him a white stone, and in the stone a new name written, which no man knoweth saving he that receiveth it.

Rev 2:26 And he that overcometh, and keepeth my works unto the end, to him will I give power over the nations:

Rev 3:5 He that overcometh, the same shall be clothed in white raiment; and I will not blot out his name out of the book of life, but I will confess his name before my Father, and before his angels.

Rev 3:12 Him that overcometh will I make a pillar in the temple of my God, and he shall go no more out: and I will write upon him the name of my God, and the name of the city of my God, which is new Jerusalem, which cometh down out of heaven from my God: and I will write upon him my new name.

Rev 21:7 He that overcometh shall inherit all things; and I will be his God, and he shall be my son.

:amen:

Certainly A VERY REAL SPIRIT that rules the lives and minds of carnal men.

Hi sis long time no see ,

great post! that sure cheers me up ! GOD BLESS you!!! ivering coming GREATER IS HE in you than who is in the world !! amen !
amen coming into the Faith in Jesus Christ ruling the heart and dawning as the DAY

2Pe 1:19 We have also a more sure word of prophecy; whereunto ye do well that ye take heed, as unto a light that shineth in a dark place, until the day dawn, and the day star arise :clap: in your hearts:Knowing this first, that no prophecy of the scripture is of any private interpretation.
arise greek 393
anatell&#333; verb
1) rise
a) to cause to rise
1) of the earth bring forth plants
b) to rise, arise, to rise from, be descended from
1) of sun moon and stars)

awesom one other place the arising in the hearts Jesus speaks of thoughts sis , I belive they are thoughts that make evil and good seeds Luk 24:38And he said unto them, Why are ye troubled? and why do thoughts arise in your hearts?arise here is 305greekanabain&#333;
verb 1) ascend
a) to go up
b) to rise, mount, be borne up, spring up
from thoughts being carnal ?

thoughts 1261
dialogismos masucline noun !!!
1) the thinking of a man deliberating with himself
a) a thought, inward reasoning
b) purpose, design
2) a deliberating, questioning about what is true
a) hesitation, doubting
b) disputing, arguing

me wondering satan being adversity

an unregenerate spirit =breath ?

peace and God bless ..c

Upvote 0

Chickapee

Dec 18, 2006
U.S
✟17,973.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelmom01

think we missed each other.

Am saying if (as in the OP) that there is no satan and this 40 days was simply a metaphor for resisting temptation in general, then we are saying all this took place in Jesus mind. Which am saying is just wrong on the basis that it would be a sin to seriously contemplate rejecting God.

Which would be impossible for Jesus, so it could not be a metaphor, ie it really happened, therefore Satan is real.

well i was blessed to rerad what was written here about Jesus flesh and how he suffered with temptation and OVERCOME it ALL !!!
Mar 1:13 And he was there in the wilderness forty days, tempted of Satan; and was with the wild beasts; and the angels ministered unto him.

men are compared to wild beasts ! ?

Luk 4:2 Being forty days tempted of the devil. And in those days he did eat nothing: and when they were ended, he afterward hungered.

Luk 10:25 And, behold, a certain lawyer stood up, and tempted him, saying, Master, what shall I do to inherit eternal life?

1Cr 10:9 Neither let us tempt Christ, as some of them also tempted, and were destroyed of serpents.

tempt here is ekpeiraz&#333; 1598

1) to prove, test, thoroughly
2) to put to proof God's character and power

but tempted also in this verse is 3589 WOW!!!peiraz&#333;
1) to try whether a thing can be done
a) to attempt, endeavour
2) to try, make trial of, test: for the purpose of ascertaining his quantity, or what he thinks, or how he will behave himself
a) in a good sense
b) in a bad sense, to test one maliciously, craftily to put to the proof his feelings or judgments
c) to try or test one's faith, virtue, character, by enticement to sin
1) to solicit to sin, to tempt
a) of the temptations of the devil
d) after the OT usage
1) of God: to inflict evils upon one in order to prove his character and the steadfastness of his faith
2) men are said to tempt God by exhibitions of distrust, as though they wished to try whether he is not justly distrusted
3) by impious or wicked conduct to test God's justice and patience, and to challenge him, as it were to give proof of his perfections.

Jesus Christ suffered in the DAYS OF flesh !!

Hbr 5:7 Who in the days of his flesh, when he had offered up prayers and supplications with strong crying and tears unto him that was able to save him from death, and was heard in that he feared;

Though he were a Son, yet learned he obedience by the things which he suffered;And being made perfect, he became the author of eternal salvation unto all them that obey him;Called of God an high priest after the order of Melchisedec.

I sure caught your thoughts angel mom ! they are the same as mine own !
God bless you all peace ..c

Upvote 0

Catholic Wife

Senior Veteran
Jan 27, 2006
DFW Metroplex
✟17,678.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
First, Satan was with the "sons of God" (aka angels) in Job 1:6 and Job 2:1, and Satan came from "roaming about on the earth", and God allowed him to tempt / cause physical harm to Job.

Second, Satan tempted Jesus in the desert in Matthew 4:11.

Third, Michael the Archangel and Satan (and the other fallen angels) battle in Revelation 12:7-17 and Satan wages war on Christians, "those who keep God's commandments and bear witness to Jesus".

My point is that if Michael the Archangel and other angels are real (there are many examples of angels appearing to humans throughout the Bible). Michael the Archangel battles Satan and the other fallen angels, and Jesus was tempted by Satan, then how can Satan be just "a metaphor for the concept of sin and wrongdoing"??? :scratch: How can a "metaphor" cause physical harm to a person???

Upvote 0

Fireinfolding

Dec 17, 2006
The South
✟121,561.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
well i was blessed to rerad what was written here about Jesus flesh and how he suffered with temptation and OVERCOME it ALL !!!
Mar 1:13 And he was there in the wilderness forty days, tempted of Satan; and was with the wild beasts; and the angels ministered unto him.

men are compared to wild beasts ! ?

Luk 4:2 Being forty days tempted of the devil. And in those days he did eat nothing: and when they were ended, he afterward hungered.

Luk 10:25 And, behold, a certain lawyer stood up, and tempted him, saying, Master, what shall I do to inherit eternal life?

1Cr 10:9 Neither let us tempt Christ, as some of them also tempted, and were destroyed of serpents.

tempt here is ekpeiraz&#333; 1598

1) to prove, test, thoroughly
2) to put to proof God's character and power

but tempted also in this verse is 3589 WOW!!!peiraz&#333;
1) to try whether a thing can be done
a) to attempt, endeavour
2) to try, make trial of, test: for the purpose of ascertaining his quantity, or what he thinks, or how he will behave himself
a) in a good sense
b) in a bad sense, to test one maliciously, craftily to put to the proof his feelings or judgments
c) to try or test one's faith, virtue, character, by enticement to sin
1) to solicit to sin, to tempt
a) of the temptations of the devil
d) after the OT usage
1) of God: to inflict evils upon one in order to prove his character and the steadfastness of his faith
2) men are said to tempt God by exhibitions of distrust, as though they wished to try whether he is not justly distrusted
3) by impious or wicked conduct to test God's justice and patience, and to challenge him, as it were to give proof of his perfections.

Jesus Christ suffered in the DAYS OF flesh !!

Hbr 5:7 Who in the days of his flesh, when he had offered up prayers and supplications with strong crying and tears unto him that was able to save him from death, and was heard in that he feared;

Though he were a Son, yet learned he obedience by the things which he suffered;And being made perfect, he became the author of eternal salvation unto all them that obey him;Called of God an high priest after the order of Melchisedec.

I sure caught your thoughts angel mom ! they are the same as mine own !
God bless you all peace ..c

Hey Chickapee!!! This is KILLER!!

I so love the "being tempted" with that of the lawyer, I so agree with this.

I see his temptations among THEM TOO^_^ These things come to us as the same afflictions are accomplished in all of us and its interesting thats connected elsewhere to the tongue as well.

Look at this part hearing His words and doing them

Luke 6:48 He is like a man which built an house, and digged deep, and laid the foundation on a rock: and when the flood arose, the stream beat vehemently upon that house, and could not shake it::thumbsup: for it was founded upon a rock.

Luke 23:10 And the chief priests and scribes stood and vehemently accused him.

2Sam 22:5 When the waves of death compassed me, the floods of ungodly men made me afraid;

Ezek 2:6 And thou, son of man, be not afraid of them, neither be afraid of their words, though briers and thorns be with thee, and thou dost dwell among scorpions: be not afraid of their words, nor be dismayed at their looks, though they be a rebellious house.

You can see the same thing that come to Christ after one manner (his sufferings) overflow into our own lives through the same sorta ways.

This is how Im seeing it (in part) as you can really find these things spoken throughout in various ways.

Great post Chickapee:thumbsup:

Peace

Fireinfolding

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.