Do you accept all of the dogmas of the Catholic Church?

Do you accept all of the dogmas of the Catholic Church?

• Yes, I accept all of the dogmas of the Catholic Church.

• No, I do not accept all of the dogmas of the Catholic Church.

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tinythinker

Jun 16, 2008
✟7,860.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Private
Hi everyone. :wave: I am just curious but do you all accept all of the dogmas of the Catholic Church or do you reject some of them? :confused:

Personally, I accept all of the dogmas of the Catholic Church.

Is there a summary list somewhere I could look over? (I'll go use the Google to check...)

Upvote 0

tinythinker

Jun 16, 2008
✟7,860.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Private
Is there a summary list somewhere I could look over? (I'll go use the Google to check...)

OK, I found a list here:

http://www.catholicfirst.com/thefaith/churchdocuments/dogmas.cfm

Two things strike me about that list.

One - some of it can be interpreted in different ways. For example, the bit about Adam and the original pair of humans if taken in a literal extreme could be construed as being anti-Evolution/pro-Young Earth Creationist. For another example, take this explanation of original sin by a Catholic priest-monk, Fr. Thomas Keating (Open Mind, Open Heart: The Contemplative Dimension of the Gospel), and compare it to the statement in the dogmas:
4. The term original sin is a way of describing the human condition, which is the universal experience of coming to full reflective self consciousness without the certitude of personal union with God. This gives rise to our intimate sense of incompletion, dividedness, isolation, and guilt.

5. Original sin is not the result of personal wrongdoing on our part. Still, it causes a pervasive feeling of alienation from God, from other people and from the true Self. The cultural consequences of these alienations are instilled in us from earliest childhood and passed on from one generation to the next. The urgent need to escape from the profound insecurity of this situation gives rise, when unchecked, to insatiable desires for pleasure, possession, and power. On the social level, it gives rise to violence, war, and institutional injustice.

6. The particular consequences of original sin include all the self serving habits that have been woven into our personality from the time we were conceived; all the emotional damage that has come from our early environment and upbringing; all the harm that other people have done to us knowingly or unknowingly at an age when we could not defend ourselves; and the methods we acquired--many of them now unconscious--to ward off the pain of unbearable situations.
Two - as I am not baptized, I assume some of those dogmas are not supposed to be clear to me, but are they clear to the Catholics here? And do you have to accept this list prior to Baptism if you are receiving that sacrament as an adult?

Upvote 0

neeners

Nov 16, 2008
✟15,848.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I believe I do, yes. However, there are a few things I don't agree with. I don't agree with the Church on contraception for example. I didn't agree with the Churches support with Yes on 8 in California. So, I accept it but I don't like it. I guess I'm not the best Catholic around :(

Upvote 0

Ave Maria

Ave Maria Gratia Plena
May 31, 2004
Diocese of Evansville, IN
✟108,671.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I believe I do, yes. However, there are a few things I don't agree with. I don't agree with the Church on contraception for example. I didn't agree with the Churches support with Yes on 8 in California. So, I accept it but I don't like it. I guess I'm not the best Catholic around :(

Don't think you're a bad Catholic. I agree with you on those issues plus I am pro-choice.

Upvote 0

samiam

Jun 25, 2003
San Diego, CA
Visit site
✟12,511.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Democrat
No, because I believe in the human rights of gay people, and because I believe it's OK to use contraception in a marriage.

I think very few Catholics accepts the dogmas of the Catholic church. Even here in Mexico, few people still have silly notions like it's a sin to use birth control.

Upvote 0

New_Found_Faith

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2004
✟30,978.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
I voted no because I believe in gay rights, the right of a woman to choose, and do not accept all dogmas about Mary or the infallibility of the Pope or any document produced by Church hierarchy.

I'm an extremely liberal Catholic, I guess.

Reactions: Diane_Windsor
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Ave Maria

Ave Maria Gratia Plena
May 31, 2004
Diocese of Evansville, IN
✟108,671.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Yes, I believe all the dogmas. Not everything the church teaches is a dogma. The contraception thing is a teaching, but not a dogma.

You are correct. Not everything that the Church teaches is a dogma.

Upvote 0

neeners

Nov 16, 2008
✟15,848.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Don't think you're a bad Catholic. I agree with you on those issues plus I am pro-choice.

Thanks, :) It's nice to be around like minds. I don't believe roe v wade should be over turned, mainly because I know we will end up with back alley abortions again. But I have no problem with trying to find ways to reduce the numbers of abortions.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Status
Not open for further replies.