Kolbu
✟21,186.00
Country
Norway
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
I've thought about it a bit, I understand that when you die, it just turns black, but consciousness itself takes some time to create, if it's not already there, then every person who is born, animal, and plants are descendants of this consciousness, it is not created new every time, you are only born with a body and a consciousness, and then you live life on this planet thanks to this life force that gives us life, the soul ours is not from genes either, people have been researching genes for several decades already, and have not found a single gene linked to consciousness, so there is another way in which it is transmitted, they say that nature lives, believe you there is some kind of, life force out there, in nature, from which we all originate? Have also noticed that when cats die, it looks like they are thinking of a place, that life is not final then, maybe at first I thought it was a way to get rid of the fear of dying, something you create yourself then, but it doesn't really look like that, does it?

Reactions: Unqualified

The IbanezerScrooge

I can't believe what I'm hearing...
Sep 1, 2015
Florida
✟246,969.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
I've thought about it a bit, I understand that when you die, it just turns black, but consciousness itself takes some time to create, if it's not already there, then every person who is born, animal, and plants are descendants of this consciousness, it is not created new every time, you are only born with a body and a consciousness, and then you live life on this planet thanks to this life force that gives us life, the soul ours is not from genes either, people have been researching genes for several decades already, and have not found a single gene linked to consciousness, so there is another way in which it is transmitted, they say that nature lives, believe you there is some kind of, life force out there, in nature, from which we all originate? Have also noticed that when cats die, it looks like they are thinking of a place, that life is not final then, maybe at first I thought it was a way to get rid of the fear of dying, something you create yourself then, but it doesn't really look like that, does it?
Ummm...

I think you need to do some further reading on this subject.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,918,655.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Do we always see?

No.

Matthew 13:13 Therefore speak I to them in parables: because they seeing see not; and hearing they hear not, neither do they understand.

Upvote 0

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,165,219.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I understand that when you die, it just turns black,
Well, not that I know, but reports are different from that from many that have died (heart stopped) for a time, and then were resuscitated.

E.g., even from a very physically based view that has no religious background at all, it's reported that when people die, it's not 'blackness they experienced, but something notably else:

• Near-death experiences are triggered during singular life-threatening episodes when the body is injured by a heart attack, shock, or blunt trauma such as an explosion or a fall.
  • These events share broad commonalities: becoming pain-free, seeing a bright light at the end of a tunnel, or detaching from one's body and floating above it and even flying off into space.
  • Why the mind should experience the struggle to sustain its operations in the face of a loss of blood flow and oxygen as positive and blissful rather than as panic-inducing remains a mystery.

In addition to this very simplified summary, there are of course more extensive and amazing reports that many have given, and you can find many to read about. As the article above also touches on:
" Thousands of survivors of these harrowing touch-and-go situations tell of leaving their damaged bodies behind and encountering a realm beyond everyday existence, unconstrained by the usual boundaries of space and time. These powerful, mystical experiences can lead to permanent transformation of their lives. ..."

And interestingly:

"... NDEs can be either positive or negative experiences. The former receive all the press and relate to the feeling of an overwhelming presence, something numinous, divine. A jarring disconnect separates the massive trauma to the body and the peacefulness and feeling of oneness with the universe. Yet not all NDEs are blissful—some can be frightening, marked by intense terror, anguish, loneliness and despair. ..."

The author notes his own limitations: "..I operate under the hypothesis that all our thoughts, memories, percepts and experiences are an ineluctable consequence of the natural causal powers of our brain rather than of any supernatural ones...." so he will continue in that vein of what can fit into his preferred world view of course. And since so little is well understood about human consciousness in a more full way (past obvious basic aspects we also share with any mammal, etc.), in spite of many competing theories about human consciousness, his limited approach is still interesting. I like to read incomplete views and in the sciences that's really the norm -- we don't get finished complete views that won't be superseded later, but only ever partial ones.

Moving to the understanding of Christians: we know there is more than only what happens in the first minute after the heart stops.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Mountainmike

Site Supporter
Nov 2, 2016
Northern uk
✟562,221.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
There is now too much evidence of Veridical - ie verifiable - near death experiences to conclude other than consciousness is not just a function of the brain, and plenty of evidence memory may not beseated there either , so death is not blackness.

Upvote 0

FrumiousBandersnatch

Mar 20, 2009
✟328,200.00
Faith
Atheist
There is now too much evidence of Veridical - ie verifiable - near death experiences to conclude other than consciousness is not just a function of the brain, and plenty of evidence memory may not beseated there either , so death is not blackness.
Near death is not death. When a candle goes out the flame doesn't continue because the processes that constitute the flame cease. So it is with consciousness.

Upvote 0

The IbanezerScrooge

Sep 1, 2015
Florida
✟246,969.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

The IbanezerScrooge

Sep 1, 2015
Florida
✟246,969.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
No wonder you are an atheist
What does a video by a person who did not die have to do with me being an atheist? And Why? Because I understand what the word "die" actually means and that this person did not do it?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

JohnEmmett

Jan 21, 2017
Salt Lake City
Visit site
✟130,729.00
Country
United States
Faith
Buddhist
Marital Status
Celibate
What does a video by a person who did not die have to do with me being an atheist? And Why?

It’s a loop of not caring, hence not learning, so not believing… hence not caring, etc.

Upvote 0

The IbanezerScrooge

Sep 1, 2015
Florida
✟246,969.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
It’s a loop of not caring, hence not learning, so not believing… hence not caring, etc.
lol, okay. No wonder you're a Christian. You believe random people on YouTube who said they died when they clearly did not because they're making a video on YouTube. I can give you a link to a video of an atheist who "died" and didn't see anything at all. Heck, man, I "died" in surgery and... nothing. Just lost 3 days of my life. Don't remember a single thing that hasn't been told to me by other people.

So, I've got just as much evidence and first hand experience that there's nothing after we "die", so... what now?

Upvote 0