Do the letters of God's Hebrew name "El" make their own meaning?

R.A.M.

Feb 3, 2018
Sedona
✟16,309.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Thanks for trying, but I think that this example helps disprove the thesis, since Mishereth means bowl, not "From the waters comes destruction which tames the peoples owners". Any connection between the two looks too weak for me to believe.

Every Hebrew word in the Old Testament has a literal, and prophetic interpretation. One cannot come to the revelation of Christ and disregard the prophetic messages hidden in His Word. He said the entire Word speaks of Him.
Even his name proclaims His work.

Yeshua the name of Christ:
ישוע‬
The finished work of Almighty God being bound by the nail will be seen.

Upvote 0

rako

Aug 1, 2007
✟9,982.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
I can see that Aleph could be derived from "bull" or a herd of cattle, and that placed at the head of the alphabet, and having a derivative of Aluph (chief) it could have association with God. But I never found Aleph written by itself to mean God, and only find EL, Aleph and Lamad.

Likewise, I don't see a clear meaning from combining the pictographs of Aleph and Lamad that would be associated with God. "Aleph" means a domesticated cattle herd or bull, but not such other things as "strong". Lamad means an ox goad or "teach", or maybe even a staff, but not such other things as "authority".
So Aleph and Lamad could mean bull teaching or a herd poked with a goad, but it seems hard to find a clear connection from there to God. The crucified divine Jesus could be compared to a bull (based on Canaanite associated with God) who is goaded (with the nails), but that feels much too weak a connection.

So I am not really left with anything solid there, unfortunately.

Upvote 0

R.A.M.

Feb 3, 2018
Sedona
✟16,309.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I can see that Aleph could be derived from "bull" or a herd of cattle, and that placed at the head of the alphabet, and having a derivative of Aluph (chief) it could have association with God. But I never found Aleph written by itself to mean God, and only find EL, Aleph and Lamad.

Likewise, I don't see a clear meaning from combining the pictographs of Aleph and Lamad that would be associated with God. "Aleph" means a domesticated cattle herd or bull, but not such other things as "strong". Lamad means an ox goad or "teach", or maybe even a staff, but not such other things as "authority".
So Aleph and Lamad could mean bull teaching or a herd poked with a goad, but it seems hard to find a clear connection from there to God. The crucified divine Jesus could be compared to a bull (based on Canaanite associated with God) who is goaded (with the nails), but that feels much too weak a connection.

The pictographs represent an idea, a thought, a concept. Not just one definitive creature or object. I'll post some intriguing evidence later this evening :)

Upvote 0

R.A.M.

Feb 3, 2018
Sedona
✟16,309.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The pictographs represent an idea, a thought, a concept. Not just one definitive creature or object. I'll post some intriguing evidence later this evening :)

Trouble, sorrow
אָ֫וֶן
Aleph
Adonai
Vae
Pierces with a Nail
Nun
The Heir to the Throne

Love
אהבה
Aleph
Adonai
Heh
Is Revealed
Bet
Amongst You
Heh
Behold

To be wise
חָכַם
Cheth
To be Separated
Kaph
and Covered
Mem
by the Blood

Courage
אומץ
Aleph
Adonai's
Vaw
Nail
Mem
And Blood
Tsade
Are Righteous

(The) Word
דָּבָר
Dalet
The Path
Bet
To the House
Resh
Of the Highest

Bitter
מָר
Mem
What comes from
Resh
those who are first

Attachments

• alphabet Hebrew post babylon.png
    alphabet Hebrew post babylon.png
    2.6 MB · Views: 10
Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,319.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Sanoy,

The letters of Hebrew developed in ways like you can see here, starting from a Phoenician version and then going to an Assyrian one:
The Ancient Hebrew Alphabet - Aleph

Here is another diagram:
http://www.hebrew1.com/GRAPHICS/WP1.jpg

WP1.jpg

That shows the orthographic evolution of these symbols/letters over time and in different writing systems. While these characters were borrowed from pictographic writing, they didn't continue to contain an inherent meaning, they became phonemic, depicting sounds not concepts. Semitic aleph, Greek alpha, and English 'A' depict phonemes, sounds, they don't mean "ox", even if the original use was taken from a pictographic symbol that meant ox.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

DamianWarS

Follower of Isa Al Masih
Site Supporter
May 15, 2008
✟858,457.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

I think this is the difference between an abstract language and a concrete language. English loves abstracts and so we must define "bull" and we must define "strong" as unique words with unique meanings and the idea of using the word "bull" abstractly to represent strength is too odd and we would just rather use our abstract words to do the job.

Abstracts are so often used that most don't fully understand what an abstract even is. The test is can we uniquely observe it with our senses (touch, smell, see, hear, taste)? and if you can't then it's probably abstract. So what does strength feel like? what does it taste like? what does it smell like? what does it look like or sound like? Apparently for the hebrews the above answer was a bull (or ox) These concretes have a significant impact on skills like critical thinking and how our worldview is shaped. If you tell 100 English speaking people to close their eyes and visualise the colour purple then ask "what do you see?" you might get 100 different answers which may be a different set of answers if you ask "what do you hear?" or "what do you taste?" and this is why the colour purple is an abstract because it cannot be defined as a unique concrete object.

I have learnt an eastern language that I would describe as a language that draws a lot of concepts from concretes rather than abstracts and it takes a fair bit of re-learning to get in the mindset of the language. For example in this language there are no tenses and there is no "to be" verb which was very difficult for me to work around. a lot of abstracts are derived from more concrete words with various affixes added to them. For example the word for road is the same word for walk or for a car to drive or a boat to move (even a plane to fly). The word becomes more abstract from road to journey and with other modifiers it turns into a wide array of things to express movement or progression, passing by things or taking on new challenges. They all have the root word for "road" contained in them and it shapes the understanding of the more abstract words. if a native speaker would close their eyes and imagine a journey it probably would have a visual of a road in it and they may actually have a difficult time visualising it without the image of a road.

Upvote 0

Ron Gurley

What U See is What U Get!
Site Supporter
Sep 22, 2015
Baton Rouge, LA
Visit site
✟87,895.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom