Do soulmates exist? How do you know if someones your soulmate?

Luther073082

κύριε ἐλέησον χριστὲ ἐλέησον
Apr 1, 2007
New Carlisle, IN
✟31,326.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Short answer is no they do not. It's not romantic, but it's the truth.

Soulmates is something made up by society, it sounds cool and romantic. But you won't find it in the bible.

The theoretical implications of trying to mix soulmates with a biblical understanding of romance and marriage also makes no sense.

For example . . . if my wife dies the bible says I am ok in marrying another person. Say after several years of trying to move on from that I meet and marry another person. If I do marry another person, which person is my soulmate . . . my first wife or my second?

If you say my soulmate was my first wife then and my second is just a wife, then what if the 2nd wife is was never married beforehand. Does she not have a soulmate?

What about people who never marry. . . the bible says this is an ok thing and in ways preferable to marriage. . . Commonly people who believe in soul mates like to say that everyone has one.

Plus the idea of soul mates brings up even more questions. . . What happens if you never meet your soul mate or you screw it up with them? We are creatures of free will, that means that while God knows what will happen to us and what we will do, he doesn't control it. That means it's entirely possible and because of that free will nature PROBABLE that we will not meet our "soulmate" if there is only one in the world for us.

Jesus essentially put all of this soulmate talk to rest when he told us that there is no marriage after the resurrection. So my wife is only my wife until one of us dies. Even after we are both resurrected on the New Earth where Jesus reigns supreme over all, we will not be committed in marriage to one another.

The idea of soulmates is completly unbiblical and borderline heretical and should have in my opinion no place for talk among Christians other then to completly dispel the notion. It's an entirely worldly created idea in which we worship romanic love instead of the one true God.

Love is a great creation of God, and romantic love is a part of that great creation in which God gave us. And love is to be most praised as it is commanded by God to do. However we do not worship the love we have for another person, we worship the one true God who gave us that love and the love we should have for all people. Just as we don't worship the earth, we worship the God who created it.

Upvote 0

LinkH

Jun 19, 2006
✟43,833.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I agree with a lot of what Luther said. I was going to make the same point about widows and widowers, and we will neither marry nor be given in marriage in the resurrection.

I have heard it taught, probably in a Sunday school class or somewhere, that since God made Eve for Adam, he made a woman for every man. The widow issue doesn't fit well with that idea. Neither does the idea that some people are gifted to be celibate.

But can God specifically choose one spouse for you? I see Biblical evidence for that. Abraham prayed that God would send an angel before his servant to find a bride for Isaac. The servant prayed, and we know the story where, like he prayed, a young woman offered him a drink and fed his camels also. I've heard estimates about the numbers of trips to the well that would have taken. One estimate was that was 90 dips in the well with a bucket. I don't know if they had some kind of bar to act as a pulley, but if you've never gotten a bucket up out of a well, it's time consuming, and probably hard work for a young woman. So her watering his camels was a big answer to prayer.

Yes, I believe God can direct two people to marry. He did with my wife and I. The Bible says that all things are possible to him that believes. It says ask it shall be given you, seek and you shall find, knock, and the door shall be open to you. Christ said 'if ye abide in Me, and My words abide in you, ye shall ask what ye will and it shall be done unto you.'

I prayed that the Lord would send an angel before me to find my wife for me. I asked the Lord to direct me to a specific person, and he did.

There is another side of the coin, too. Generally, from scripture, I get the impression that choosing a spouse has a lot to do with wisely choosing someone who is suitable. Proverbs is written to a young man, and there is a lot of advice there about what kind of women to avoid and what kind of woman to have as a wife. Proverbs 31 is encouraging to women, but originally it was not written to a woman. It was written to the author's son. It's part of the same epistle that warns of the young man being ensnared by the adulteress.

In Proverbs, Men are to avoid the adulteress, and we are warned about quarrelsome and foolish women. It is better to live on a housetop than with a quarrelsome woman. The wise woman builds her house, but the foolish one tears it down with her hands. A man should look for a wise woman, a woman with traits like those in Proverbs 31, hard-working, and responsible, like Rebeca who was hard-working and fed those camels. The Proverbs warn that beauty is fleeting and that charm is deceitful, but extols the virtues of a woman who pleases the Lord.

In the New Testament, we see that Christians are not to be unequally yoked with unbelievers. If you are serious about your faith, and you realize what marriage requires, then you can see that it would be difficult to live out your faith well when married to an unbeliever.

For a man looking for a wife, I'd advise he find a fellow believer with godly character. This means she is loving and also a forgiver-- which is a big deal in a relationship. She should be wise or attaining wisdom for her age, diligent, responsible, a good mother. She should accept the Biblical role of wives and be willing to submit to her husband and respect him. In this day and age especially, it is important to find out what her values are regarding divorce. If she thinks she can divorce if she is not happy or over 'irreconcilable differences', and isn't teachable when shown the scriptures, look elsewhere for a wife. It may also be wise to tactfully find out if she will take seriously the requirement that she meet her husband's sexual needs after marriage. These are things to find out before engagement-- before talking to her father, which is important to do as well.

Proverbs is also a good book for women to read to know what kind of man to choose. Proverbs warns about the lazy man, foolish men, scorners. There are a lot of 'abusive' traits that a woman might learn to be wary of if she studies Proverbs. A potential husband must be a hard worker and responsible. Of course, he must also be a believer. Still, in our culture, the woman often waits for the man to approach her to show romantic interest. Men can choose not to pursue women who don't fit their criteria. But men typically approach women. Women might find it is more difficult to meet men who fit their criteria if they don't have many men approaching them. The temptation is to go for the first one who is good looking and fun to talk to. But it is important that a believing woman marry a believing man.

It is extremely important that a potential husband be a loving, caring man. He shouldn't be a hot head or a control freak. He should be insulting or a complainer. The wife is required to submit to her husband, so a young woman can ask herself, is this a man I can submit to? Will he love me as Christ loves the church? Can he grow in that area? Does he take that responsibility serious? Is he willing to offer spiritual leadership in the home?

What does he think about marriage and divorce? Is he committed until something better comes along? What is his idea about you working if you have kids? Does he have it in his heart that it is his responsibility to provide materially for his wife? Will he take providing for your other needs (including 'due benevolence') seriously? Does he want to have children?

Get your father involved, especially if he is a believer. There is no book of the Bible that emphases how wives are to find husbands. The laws God gave to Israel implied that fathers would choose or approve husbands for their daughters. That is something to think about. Many of us get married when we are relatively young. Parents have usually learned an awful lot about marriage that their children have not before they marry.

I do believe God can lead you to the right person, but I think it is good to consider the traits of a potential spouse as well.

Upvote 0

LinkH

Jun 19, 2006
✟43,833.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Wow, a lot of threads from September are popping back up today. I'm surprised this one did not get more replies. I agree with my husband that soul mates do not exist. I like your post, Link :thumbsup:

Thanks.

Wow, you and your husband agree a lot. Maybe you are soulmates! :)

(just kidding.)

Upvote 0

geneseib

Aug 17, 2004
Bethalto, IL
Visit site
✟8,637.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

A soulmate is a person with whom one has a feeling of deep or natural affinity, similarity, love, sex, intimacy, sexuality, spirituality, or compatibility. Just a person with similar beliefs and feelings, nothing magical.

Upvote 0

iambren

Mar 2, 2008
newark, ohio
✟12,121.00
Faith
Nazarene
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
"A soulmate is a person with whom one has a feeling of deep or natural affinity, similarity, love, sex, intimacy, sexuality, spirituality, or compatibility. Just a person with similar beliefs and feelings, nothing magical."

Right-O! One can have these feelings with a number of persons and have the sense that they are THE soulmate for that person. Romantic notion but not very realistic.

Of course this means that every person married could have married someone else that would have made them even more happy...other side of the coin that we don't like to think about.

Upvote 0

Stealth001

Seeker
Sep 8, 2011
✟15,792.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
I believe that "soulmates" are souls that God has joined together. They are essentially one being.
Matthew 19:6
Wherefore they are no more twain, but one flesh. What therefore God hath joined together, let not man put asunder.

That being said, I believe that this union can be severed through sin. Severing soulmates is a serious sin in that it leaves two severely factured individuals.

Arranged marriages are not "soulmates" until God Himself has united their spirits in the bonds of love. Many marry out of convenience or for wealth, these too are not "soulmates" until God has joined them together.

If a man is joined to his wife by the LORD and she dies... the LORD may join him to another woman who will serve as his second wife. Both then have served as this man's "soulmate".

Should a partner commit the grevious sin of rending this union assunder through sin, the innocent party may be united to another by the LORD under certain grounds.

That's my understanding of "soulmates".

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Luther073082

Apr 1, 2007
New Carlisle, IN
✟31,326.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I believe that "soulmates" are souls that God has joined together. They are essentially one being.
Matthew 19:6
Wherefore they are no more twain, but one flesh. What therefore God hath joined together, let not man put asunder.

That being said, I believe that this union can be severed through sin. Severing soulmates is a serious sin in that it leaves two severely factured individuals.

Arranged marriages are not "soulmates" until God Himself has united their spirits in the bonds of love. Many marry out of convenience or for wealth, these too are not "soulmates" until God has joined them together.

If a man is joined to his wife by the LORD and she dies... the LORD may join him to another woman who will serve as his second wife. Both then have served as this man's "soulmate".

Should a partner commit the grevious sin of rending this union assunder through sin, the innocent party may be united to another by the LORD under certain grounds.

That's my understanding of "soulmates".

Two souls can't be joined together, that's not biblical.

My wife and I are one flesh. Not one soul. The flesh is very different from the soul.

Just because you love someone doesn't mean that your souls are somehow connected in some manner. It's romantic but you won't find a mention of it in scripture.

Upvote 0

LinkH

Jun 19, 2006
✟43,833.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

My wife and I are one flesh. Not one soul. The flesh is very different from the soul.

Just because you love someone doesn't mean that your souls are somehow connected in some manner. It's romantic but you won't find a mention of it in scripture.

One of the Hebrew words translated 'soul' is used to refer to a dead carcass in scripture. One of the Greek words is also translated 'life.'

There seems to be a popular notion that the 'soul' is something inside of your body which is not made up of matter or energy-- kind of like the spirit, except people can't explain the difference between the soul and spirit. Another definition I've heard is that it is the mind, will, and emotions. But I can't find a really clear case from scripture for that.

Upvote 0

LinkH

Jun 19, 2006
✟43,833.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
A soulmate is a person with whom one has a feeling of deep or natural affinity, similarity, love, sex, intimacy, sexuality, spirituality, or compatibility. Just a person with similar beliefs and feelings, nothing magical.

I seem to recall a scene from one of the Anne of Green Gables TV episodes where Anne describes one of her female friends as a soulmate or a kindred spirit. Maybe it was just kindred spirit. I've read or heard soulmate used that way, elsewhere, though. I've also heard the idea used to describe the one person one is supposed to marry.

Upvote 0

Luther073082

Apr 1, 2007
New Carlisle, IN
✟31,326.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
"Two souls can't be joined together, that's not biblical.

My wife and I are one flesh. Not one soul. The flesh is very different from the soul."

I agree with you, but what do you believe being one flesh means?

To be one family, with one set of goals and one set of values would be a start. It also is partially an allegory to sexual intercourse where two people are joined into one "flesh". Basically to be united in worldly life together.

The thing is that none of this lasts after death. Otherwise Christ wouldn't have been so adament that there is no marriage after the resurrection.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

CounselorForChrist

Senior Veteran
Aug 24, 2010
✟15,792.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I agree with you, but what do you believe being one flesh means?
I often hear that people think it means you become on flesh... as in on the honeymoon your two bodies become on during sex. Not literally of course but you do bond on a sexual level. Then I also hear people say it means your two lives become one since you share everything together and do things together. United as stated above.

As for the soul mate issue, I don't soul is maybe the right word. But I do believe that God has someone for you to marry. Example we know God knows all, sees all...etc. Its stated that he knows us before we are born. That would lead me to believe then he sees every possible future we can have. So he has a plan he wants us to follow, but sometimes our free will/choices may lead us off the path. So he tries to correct our choices but getting us rerouted back on track.

So when it comes to love I believe he has one person he wants us to marry. And he tries to get us to that point of meeting them, marrying them and so on. But again if we go to far off path we may never meet that person. Which lastly makes me think that possibly if we go to far off the path maybe he has backup people that we could marry just in case.

Really the subject is so complex since we can't really know how God things or plans things.

Upvote 0

LondonDreamer1187

'Ello, govnuh!
Jan 5, 2013
USA
✟7,642.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Engaged
Who says soulmates have to be romantically involved at all? Perhaps the term best describes the relationship you have with your best friend. It doesn't have to be sexual or romantic or anything other than just a deep love and friendship towards someone who shares a lot of the same ideas, values, humors, likes, dislikes, and other things as you do.

I dunno, just a thought.

Upvote 0
D

dano884christ

Soulmates, or "the one", do not exist. What if you marry someone else's "One", or soulmate? then the love lives of multiple people are screwed. It also sets up ridiculously high standards for people, turning the "one" into some unattainable idol for them. Bottom line, if two people love each other and commit to a Jesus-centered relationship, they can be very happy. Soulmates have nothing to do with it.

You know someone's your "one", when you marry them. it's pretty simple. Looking for "the one", before meeting and marrying them, is pretty much akin to looking for a leprechaun riding a unicorn

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Stealth001

Seeker
Sep 8, 2011
✟15,792.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican

I was taught about "soul ties". Google it.

Upvote 0