Do some of you not say the nicene creed at your parish?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

karen freeinchristman

More of You and less of me, Lord!
Site Supporter
Aug 18, 2004
North west of England
✟62,407.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
We say the Nicene creed at HC, the apostles creed or athanasian creed sometimes at non-HC, and I think occasionally we have said some kind of alternative creed, but not at an HC service.

Upvote 0

ebia

Senior Contributor
Jul 6, 2004
A very long way away. Sometimes even further.
✟54,775.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
My old church in England used the following for Family Services (the main Eucharistic service on the 2nd Sunday of each month):

Do you believe and trust in God the Father, who made the world?
All I believe and trust in him.
Do you believe and trust in his Son Jesus Christ, who redeemed mankind?
Do you believe and trust in his Holy Spirit, who gives life to the people of God?
This is the faith of the Church
All This is our faith
We believe and trust in one God,
Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.
Otherwise it was Niceneor Apostles.

I don't have a problem with anything in the Nicene Creed, but the points it was written to address are not necessarly the points we need to address in our main public declaration of faith each week, so I have no problem with Anglican (or other) churches that vary it to some other appropriate creedal statement.

Reactions: Naomi4Christ
Upvote 0

karen freeinchristman

Site Supporter
Aug 18, 2004
North west of England
✟62,407.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
gtsecc said:
Does a parish even have the authority to not say the creed?
A priest crosses his stole to show that he has no authority of his own.
Have some forgotten or conveniently disregarded this?

This is what I have found at the Church of England website (http://www.cofe.anglican.org/worship/liturgy/commonworship/texts/word/creeds.html)

At a celebration of Holy Communion, the Apostles' Creed or the Athanasian Creed in an authorized form may be used in place of the Nicene Creed, or an authorized Affirmation of Faith may be used. Suitable words of introduction or conclusion (such as 'Let us declare our faith in God, Father, Son and Holy Spirit') to the Creed or Affirmation of Faith may be used.

Upvote 0

karen freeinchristman

Site Supporter
Aug 18, 2004
North west of England
✟62,407.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Authorized Affirmations of Faith

In addition to the Nicene Creed, the Apostles' Creed and the Athanasian Creed, the following forms of the Creeds and these Affirmations of Faith are also authorized.

1 Do you believe and trust in God the Father, source of all being and life, the one for whom we exist?
All
We believe and trust in him.

Do you believe and trust in God the Son, who took our human nature, died for us and rose again?
All

Do you believe and trust in God the Holy Spirit, who gives life to the people of God and makes Christ known in the world?
All

This is the faith of the Church.
All
This is our faith. We believe and trust in one God, Father, Son and Holy Spirit.
Amen.

2 We proclaim the Church's faith in Jesus Christ.
All
We believe and declare that our Lord Jesus Christ, the Son of God, is both divine and human.
God, of the being of the Father, the only Son from before time began; human from the being of his mother, born in the world;
All
fully God and fully human; human in both mind and body.
As God he is equal to the Father, as human he is less than the Father.
All
Although he is both divine and human he is not two beings but one Christ.
One, not by turning God into flesh, but by taking humanity into God;
All
truly one, not by mixing humanity with Godhead, but by being one person.
For as mind and body form one human being so the one Christ is both divine and human.
All
The Word became flesh and lived among us; we have seen his glory, the glory of the only Son from the Father, full of grace and truth.
from the Athanasian Creed

3 All
We believe in God the Father, God almighty, by whose plan earth and heaven sprang to being, all created things began. We believe in Christ the Saviour, Son of God in human frame, virgin-born, the child of Mary upon whom the Spirit came. Christ, who on the cross forsaken, like a lamb to slaughter led, suffered under Pontius Pilate, he descended to the dead. We believe in Jesus risen, heaven's king to rule and reign, to the Father's side ascended till as judge he comes again. We believe in God the Spirit; in one Church, below, above: saints of God in one communion, one in holiness and love. So by faith, our sins forgiven, Christ our Saviour, Lord and friend, we shall rise with him in glory to the life that knows no end.
(May be sung to any 87 87 or 87 87D tune.)

4 Let us affirm our faith in Jesus Christ the Son of God. All
Though he was divine, he did not cling to equality with God, but made himself nothing. Taking the form of a slave, he was born in human likeness. He humbled himself and was obedient to death, even the death of the cross. Therefore God has raised him on high, and given him the name above every name: that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, and every voice proclaim that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father. Amen.
cf Philippians 2.6-11

5 Let us declare our faith in the resurrection of our Lord Jesus Christ.
All
Christ died for our sins in accordance with the Scriptures; he was buried; he was raised to life on the third day in accordance with the Scriptures; afterwards he appeared to his followers, and to all the apostles: this we have received, and this we believe. Amen.
cf 1 Corinthians 15.3-7

6 We say together in faith
All
Holy, holy, holy is the Lord God almighty, who was, and is, and is to come.
We believe in God the Father, who created all things:
All
for by his will they were created and have their being.
We believe in God the Son, who was slain:
All
for with his blood, he purchased us for God, from every tribe and language, from every people and nation.
We believe in God the Holy Spirit:
All
the Spirit and the Bride say, 'Come!' Even so come, Lord Jesus! Amen.
cf Revelation 4.8,11; 5.9; 22.17,20

7 Let us declare our faith in God.
All
We believe in God the Father, from whom every family in heaven and on earth is named. We believe in God the Son, who lives in our hearts through faith, and fills us with his love. We believe in God the Holy Spirit, who strengthens us with power from on high. We believe in one God; Father, Son and Holy Spirit. Amen.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

gtsecc

Aspirant
Sep 3, 2004
✟9,845.00
Faith
Anglican
hmmm...
We are loath to force folks to do anything, but is there a good reason to not use the creed, which we know is the Holy Spirit speaking to us? Isn’t it arrogant and sinful of us to say, well, Holy Sprit, that was nice of you, but really, the creed is a bit drab and might be off putting to seekers, so we are going with this new thing we have just recently made up.

Saying the creed is partially a confession that the faith is bigger than we are, and it connects us to the other historic confessions.

Not saying the creed is saying that the faith is something that happens uniquely in our parish, and we want to change it to deliberately remove ourselves from any notion of the wider confession.

It is almost like saying a parishes own personal Gnosticism trumps the Creed or Holy Spirit.

Upvote 0

karen freeinchristman

Site Supporter
Aug 18, 2004
North west of England
✟62,407.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
gtsecc said:
hmmm...
We are loath to force folks to do anything, but is there a good reason to not use the creed, which we know is the Holy Spirit speaking to us? Isn’t it arrogant and sinful of us to say, well, Holy Sprit, that was nice of you, but really, the creed is a bit drab and might be off putting to seekers, so we are going with this new thing we have just recently made up.

Saying the creed is partially a confession that the faith is bigger than we are, and it connects us to the other historic confessions.

Not saying the creed is saying that the faith is something that happens uniquely in our parish, and we want to change it to deliberately remove ourselves from any notion of the wider confession.

It is almost like saying a parishes own personal Gnosticism trumps the Creed or Holy Spirit.

Well, I've only produced this to show what the official position of the Church of England is, and I don't think it is wrong to use a different affirmation on occasion. I do think that it is important to keep using the traditional creeds, too.

Upvote 0

karen freeinchristman

Site Supporter
Aug 18, 2004
North west of England
✟62,407.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
SirTimothy said:
Crosses stole? What do you mean? I don't think I've ever met a priest who does that (from high to low church)

Me, neither. What does it mean when the stole is hanging down longer on one side than the other? That's how my priest wears his. Also, his white surplice is usually not centred very well on his shoulders, slightly off the shoulder on one side. What does this mean? ;)

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.