Visit site
✟55,225.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I assume priests (and bishops, and so on, including the pope) partake in Reconciliation the same as everyone else.

Are there requirements? For instance, must a priest be absolved before he can perform certain sacraments, or is that unrelated?

FullyMT

Veni Sancte Spiritus
Nov 14, 2003
Boston
Visit site
✟8,053.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Priests need to go to Confession just like every other Catholic!

It is a grave sin for a priest to celebrate Mass in a state of mortal sin...I am unsure about any of the sacraments...I know it is grave for Mass due to the priest HAVING to receive Communion, if nothing else.

Upvote 0

Carrye

Weisenheimer
Aug 30, 2003
✟29,202.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
seebs said:
For instance, must a priest be absolved before he can perform certain sacraments, or is that unrelated?

Unrelated in that the holiness of the priest does not determine the effectiveness of the sacrament. It is God who is working through the priest, so it is God who is effecting. Even the most sinful priest can still perform the sacraments.

Of course, on a practical level, it's good to have holy priests . . . holy people in general, for that matter.

Upvote 0
R

RoseofLima

Yup- priests confess to any other priest.

Sacraments are still valid irrespective of the moral state of the priest....but as was written prieviously, it is grave matter for a priest to perfrom sacraments while not in a stae of grace (meaning mortal sin). there is that whole issue, though, of perfect contrition and vowing to confess as soon as possible- where sanctifying grace is restored. One is still not permitted to receive Holy Communion, though, until sacramental confession...and the same would be true for a priest.

Upvote 0

WarriorAngel

I close my eyes and see you smile
Site Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
United States Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟441,002.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
seebs said:
What do isolated priests do, when there isn't another priest around? This may be less common than it used to be, but it's hardly unheard of.

:scratch: I dont know.

What ever happened to Father who was in here??

Well, maybe they travel or make phone calls. :o I dont know.

Upvote 0
R

RoseofLima

seebs said:
What do isolated priests do, when there isn't another priest around? This may be less common than it used to be, but it's hardly unheard of.
They make appointments and drive to see another priest. Most priests will have some network of their priest brothers for support. Often groups of priests will have regular gatherings once a month or so....

Many priests also have regular monthly spiritual direction, with a priest of their choosing- offering them a chance for regular confession as well.

There is a great brotherhood generally among priests, even those with differing viewpoints, and they are usually understanding and accomodating to one another's sacramental needs.

Upvote 0

Carrye

Weisenheimer
Aug 30, 2003
✟29,202.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
WarriorAngel said:
Well, maybe they travel or make phone calls. :o I dont know.

You actually can't confess over the phone. Or by email either.

Often times priests have a confessor - one priest who regularly hears their confession - and so it is somewhat arranged ahead of time.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
R

RoseofLima

seebs said:
What was the procedure back before everyone had cars, when it could be a three or four day trip to go to the nearest other priest?
Then that's what would be done...obviously there wouldn't be frequent confession...which lends itself to two scenarios: priests striving to really not give into mortal sin or priests not having the grace to fight and becoming morally dissolute.

I am sure one would find examples of both! Often in those places, though, the Bishops and others assigned by him would ride from parish to parish throughout the year to check on things. This is beautifully illustrated in Death Comes For the Archbishop by Willa Cather.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Status
Not open for further replies.