✟84,253.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
NIV Romans 14:

1 Accept the one whose faith is weak, without quarreling over disputable matters.
ESV:

As for the one who is weak in faith, welcome him, but not to quarrel over opinions.
Berean Standard Bible:

Accept him whose faith is weak, without passing judgment on his opinions.
Welcome the ones who are weak in faith to the Body of Christ. Do not argue/judge them about disputable matters/opinions.

2 One person’s faith allows them to eat anything, but another, whose faith is weak, eats only vegetables.
Should we serve meat in a common dinner with our vegetarian brothers?

Paul answered:

21 It is better not to eat meat or drink wine or to do anything else that will cause your brother or sister to fall.
Are we supposed to keep our convictions private, or not?

22a So whatever you believe about these things keep between yourself and God.
Should we publicly approve something that may cause another person to stumble?

Well, Paul did here in Romans 14.

The following are some examples of what I regard as disputable matters/opinions: worshipping on Saturday, baptizing babies, etc.

Titus 3:

9 But avoid foolish controversies, genealogies, dissensions, and quarrels about the law, for they are unprofitable and worthless.
1 Corinthians 4:

6 I have applied all these things to myself and Apollos for your benefit, brothers, that you may learn by us not to go beyond what is written, that none of you may be puffed up in favor of one against another.
Should we attempt to resolve disputable matters/opinions?

Sure, but only if it can be done in a peaceful manner without egotism. When I was younger, I used to argue with Christians, pastors, JWs, and everyone. Now that I am older and milder, I replied, "No thanks but God bless you." I didn't realize it back then: but all the arguing raised my blood pressure and it was affecting my heart. I have finally learned to take it easy.

See also

Last edited:

sparow

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2014
✟490,064.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
NIV Romans 14:

Welcome the ones who are weak in faith to the Body of Christ. Do not argue with them over these disputable matters.

Paul answered:

Paul did in Romans 14.

Here are some examples of what I regard as disputable matters: worshipping on Saturday, baptizing babies, etc.

Titus 3:

1 Corinthians 4:

When I was younger, I used to argue with Christians, pastors, JWs, and everyone. Now that I am older and milder, I replied, "No thanks but God bless you." I didn't realize it back then: but all the arguing raised my blood pressure and it was affecting my heart. I have finally learned to take it easy :)

See also Do not go BEYOND the things which are written.
I believe the NIV and yourself are misquoting Paul.

A better translation is Rom. 14:1 But the one weak in faith receive, not for decision of reasonings.

Disputes need to be resolved, when they do not involve vanity.

Upvote 0

tonychanyt

24/7 Christian
Oct 2, 2011
Toronto
Visit site
✟84,253.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I believe the NIV and yourself are misquoting Paul.

A better translation is Rom. 14:1 But the one weak in faith receive, not for decision of reasonings.

Disputes need to be resolved, when they do not involve vanity.
Thanks for the pointer. I revised my OP. Take another look. Thanks :)

Upvote 0

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟284,822.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
NIV Romans 14:

ESV:

Berean Standard Bible:

Welcome the ones who are weak in faith to the Body of Christ. Do not argue/judge them about disputable matters/opinions.

Paul answered:

The following are some examples of what I regard as disputable matters/opinions: worshipping on Saturday, baptizing babies, etc.

Titus 3:

1 Corinthians 4:

Sure, but only if it can be done in a peaceful manner without egotism. When I was younger, I used to argue with Christians, pastors, JWs, and everyone. Now that I am older and milder, I replied, "No thanks but God bless you." I didn't realize it back then: but all the arguing raised my blood pressure and it was affecting my heart. I have finally learned to take it easy.

See also

We should be careful to distinguish between what Paul said about obeying the commands of God and what he said about disputable matters of opinion in which God has given no command. For example, in Romans 14:2-5, they were resenting and judging each other over whether someone chose to eat only vegetables even though God gave no command to eat only vegetables. Paul was not suggesting that we are free to commit murder, idolatry, theft, adultery, break the Sabbath, or disobey any of God's other commands as long as we are convinced in our own minds that it is ok to rebel against God, but rather that was only said in regard to disputable matters of opinion in which God has given no command. Paul did not mention the Sabbath anywhere in Romans 14 precisely because it had nothing to do with the topic he was discussing in that chapter, so you should not be inserting the commands of God into a discussion about following man's opinions.

Upvote 0

sparow

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2014
✟490,064.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
NIV Romans 14:

ESV:

Berean Standard Bible:

Paul answered:

Titus 3:

1 Corinthians 4:

See also

I believe there is a lot to be gained from tossing the scriptures around, it prevents stagnation for starters; if it were possible to provide a list of what to do and what not to do, God would have gave it, instead he said the path to life is narrow and few find it. So people should engage with God in their search for their narrow path, but if they seek an absolutely correct statement, I do not think they will find one.

I am not a disciple of Paul; but Paul had methods, like he began with baby food and progressed to strong meat. The question that I ask is what part of the cycle is Romans, baby food, strong meat or somewhere in between?

"Do not go beyond the things which are written". Presumably Paul would have provided a context for this statement, I didn't spot it; but this statement denies the role of the Holy spirit, and renders the Bible nothing more than a text book.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,477,691.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I believe "disciple" means to follow as a student; I follow Jesus, not Paul.
How do you follow Jesus when Jesus isn't here? Jesus said:

Now I am going to him who sent me, yet none of you asks me, `Where are you going?' Because I have said these things, you are filled with grief. But I tell you the truth: It is for your good that I am going away. Unless I go away, the Counselor will not come to you; but if I go, I will send him to you. -- John 16

The Person we have here is the Holy Spirit, that Counselor, and the Holy Spirit breathed what Paul then taught. You don't know anything Jesus did or said except by the inspiration of the Holy Spirit unto the men who wrote the New Testament scriptures, and that same Holy Spirit inspired Paul. That same Holy Spirit inspired the early Church to accept Paul's teaching, to copy them from generation to generation as God's word to the Church.

All of scripture comes to us over the centuries through the Holy Spirit. How do you figure one part of the Holy Spirit's inspiration is authoritative and one part is not?

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,477,691.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
NIV Romans 14:

ESV:

Berean Standard Bible:

Paul answered:

Titus 3:

1 Corinthians 4:

See also

The first concept to grasp--and many Christians have not--is that there actually are such things as "disputable matters."

Some things are not disputable, particularly those things for which there are two or more scriptural witnesses. Joseph enunciated that basic rule of God's methods to the pharaoh 'way back in Genesis 41: If God says a thing twice, He means it.

Most of the divisions of all these scores of thousands of Christian denominations are over disputable matters.

Reactions: tonychanyt
Upvote 0

sparow

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2014
✟490,064.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
How do you follow Jesus when Jesus isn't here? Jesus said:

Now I am going to him who sent me, yet none of you asks me, `Where are you going?' Because I have said these things, you are filled with grief. But I tell you the truth: It is for your good that I am going away. Unless I go away, the Counselor will not come to you; but if I go, I will send him to you. -- John 16

The Person we have here is the Holy Spirit, that Counselor, and the Holy Spirit breathed what Paul then taught. You don't know anything Jesus did or said except by the inspiration of the Holy Spirit unto the men who wrote the New Testament scriptures, and that same Holy Spirit inspired Paul. That same Holy Spirit inspired the early Church to accept Paul's teaching, to copy them from generation to generation as God's word to the Church.

All of scripture comes to us over the centuries through the Holy Spirit. How do you figure one part of the Holy Spirit's inspiration is authoritative and one part is not?
It seems there are two spirits, the Holy Spirit and the un-Holy spirit; it is an assumption on your part as to who or what inspired Paul. "follow" has a much broader usage than what you are allowing for.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

RDKirk

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,477,691.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It seems there are two spirits, the Holy Spirit and the un-Holy spirit; it is an assumption on your part as to who or what inspired Paul. "follow" has a much broader usage than what you are allowing for.
Are you asserting that Paul was inspired by a demon? And that the apostles and subsequent Christians were all duped by that demon?

Upvote 0

sparow

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2014
✟490,064.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Are you asserting that Paul was inspired by a demon? And that the apostles and subsequent Christians were all duped by that demon?
No, I was asserting that you base your argument on assumptions that are disputable. If you insist, my opinion is that Paul's ego was such that he did not require inspiration.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,477,691.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
No, I was asserting that you base your argument on assumptions that are disputable. If you insist, my opinion is that Paul's ego was such that he did not require inspiration.
And yet, he claimed he was inspired by the Holy Spirit.

But what which of my assumptions do you say are disputable?

Upvote 0