Martinez
✟903,186.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So in Romans 14 and 2 Corinthians 6 Paul talks about not offending other believers and causing them to stumble.

My question is:

In a world where most are offended by something, how in the world do we go about not offending other believers?
I dont believe your definition of " offending " someone is correct. I belive it is this definition:
A stumbling block in the Bible is a metaphor for a behaviour or attitude that leads another to sin or to destructive behaviour.

Upvote 0

ByTheSpirit

Come Lord Jesus
May 17, 2011
Manhattan, KS
✟188,628.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I dont believe your definition of " offending " someone is correct. I belive it is this definition:
A stumbling block in the Bible is a metaphor for a behaviour or attitude that leads another to sin or to destructive behaviour.

He does say whatever does not come from faith is sin, so perhaps, the word in question has varied usage that could imply both. The implication Paul makes (to me) in Romans 14 though is offense, which leads the offended party to judge, which then leads to sin.

Strongs 4350:
proskoptó: to strike against, to stumble
Original Word: προσκόπτω
Part of Speech: Verb
Transliteration: proskoptó
Phonetic Spelling: (pros-kop'-to)
Definition: to strike against, to stumble
Usage: I stumble, strike the foot against, beat upon, take offense at.

He says basically (my understanding) if someone sees you eating something or drinking something that causes offense we shouldn't do it.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
So in Romans 14 and 2 Corinthians 6 Paul talks about not offending other believers and causing them to stumble.

My question is:

In a world where most are offended by something, how in the world do we go about not offending other believers?
Paul was writing to the Romans.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

My question is:

They could become Believers.

Psalm 98:9
before the Lord, for he comes to judge the earth. He will judge the world with righteousness, and the peoples with equity.

Psalm 96:13
before the Lord, for he comes, for he comes to judge the earth. He will judge the world in righteousness, and the peoples in his faithfulness.

Psalm 9:7-8
But the Lord sits enthroned forever; he has established his throne for justice, and he judges the world with righteousness; he judges the peoples with uprightness.

Upvote 0

Rachel20

May 30, 2020
STX
✟58,109.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
He says basically (my understanding) if someone sees you eating something or drinking something that causes offense we shouldn't do it.

My two cents makes it even more complex :) Paul tells Timothy that in the latter times, they'll be forbidding to eat meat (and marry), and he attributes it not to believers who are not wanting to bring offense to the weaker, but to seducing spirits and doctrines of devils. (1 Ti 4:1-3)

Upvote 0

lanceleo

Apr 18, 2018
✟45,078.00
Country
Singapore
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The truth will offend. Period. If we aren't offending the believers then we are offending the unbelievers. It's either we act according to the scripture or we don't. You don't think Jesus offended many, especially the religious leaders of his days?

• Winner
Reactions: Aaron112
Upvote 0