Visit site
✟83,723.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I quoted your entire post. I am not required to model my posting style after yours nor is everyone else, but if this wish to, that can be their choice. I am comfortable with my style of posting.
No, you don't. But it does show your lack of precision.

Upvote 0

Richard.20.12

Dec 13, 2020
Vancouver
✟39,189.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Jeremiah 17:

But then, Jesus healed an invalid (V1) on the Sabbath day in John 5:

There were three issues here:
  1. Jesus worked on the Sabbath.
  2. Jesus told the V1 to work on the Sabbath.
  3. V1 worked on the Sabbath.

According to the Jews, V1 broke the Sabbath. He blamed the healer:

They charged Jesus for breaking the Sabbath.

Jesus' defense antagonized them even more:

The Jews understood that Jesus claimed that he could break the Sabbath because he was equal with God.

Jesus continued his defense:

Elsewhere in Matthew 12, Jesus said:

Jesus had authority on earth to break the Sabbath and tell V1 to break the Sabbath and V1's breaking the Sabbath was okay according to Jesus.
Firstly, it was effortless for Jesus to heal people. It was hardly work for him. Also I think the important thing to glean from these parables is that we are to CEASE work, regular work. But in an emergency or to do something good for someone, especially if it doesn't take much time, is very approved activity on the Sabbath. And how often do emergencies arise in most people's lives? Once a year? It's really a non-issue. The challenge is keeping the Sabbath for God and not making it just about us. THAT's the challenge.

Upvote 0

Yekcidmij

Presbyterian, Polymath
Feb 18, 2002
East Coast
✟232,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Jeremiah 17:

But then, Jesus healed an invalid (V1) on the Sabbath day in John 5:

According to the Jews, V1 broke the Sabbath. He blamed the healer:

They charged Jesus for breaking the Sabbath.

Jesus' defense antagonized them even more:

The Jews understood that Jesus claimed that he could break the Sabbath because he was equal with God.

Jesus continued his defense:

Elsewhere in Matthew 12, Jesus said:

Jesus had authority on earth to break the Sabbath and tell V1 to break the Sabbath and V1's breaking the Sabbath was okay according to Jesus.

Arguably, the prohibition against "bearing a burden" in Jer 17:21 is either the same prohibition against doing "work" on Sabbath or the same prohibition of "going out" and 17:22 suggests either or both. There certainly isn't a Torah command against "bearing a burden," but there are commands against doing "work" and "going out" both of which are mentioned in 17:22.

And it's not clear to me Jesus violated either of these commands in John 5. Even [at least some of] the Pharisees had exceptions to healing on Sabbath. And it's not clear the man violated the prohibition against "going out" since he was already in a public space. There was no prohibition against carrying a mat as long as one didn't "go out," as in move the mat from one sphere to another (ie, public to private or vice versa). So it's not clear to me that the man was either "working" or "going out" and so no reason to think he was actually violating Sabbath.

Upvote 0

Aaron112

Dec 19, 2022
TULSA
✟53,912.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Those were fake issues and only for the religious leaders opposed to truth , opposing Jesus, denying God's Word.
Jesus never , not even once, broke any commandment including concerning Shabbat,
and neither did He ever even once instruct someone to break the Sabbath Day, which is to be kept separate (holy).

Reactions: HIM
Upvote 0

Adventist Heretic

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Sep 18, 2006
Parts Unknown
✟370,693.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I find it helpful to ask what is the purpose of the Sabbath. What is
God trying to accomplish on the day, not just look at the commands.
When I have done this I see no contradiction between Jeremiah's commands and Jesus's actions, they both fulfill the commandments. Jesus says "The Sabbath was made for man not man for the Sabbath". So the Sabbath is for man's benefit. So ask this question how is it beneficial in Jeriamah to not carry a burden and in the NT carry a burden? The purpose is being filled in both. In Jeremiah, you are being weighed down by work. in the NT you are being weighed down by the effect of the curse. in both cases, God is releasing you of your burden so that you can enjoy your life. the fact that they thought carrying a mat that was nothing was the issue shows they did not know what God wanted. Do you see how ridiculous it is that the Guy they knew was a cripple could now walk and all they want to talk about is the mat he is carrying home to his family. This is a case of Christ asserting his authority over Satan like God did when he freed the Jews from Pharaoh and all you want to do is talk about a technicality.

Upvote 0