LDS Do LDS believes in a sin nature or original sin?

He is the way

Apr 17, 2018
Murray
✟113,072.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Married
You are wrong again! You don't give God credit for His wonderful gifts to man. I can't convince you. Only God can soften a person's heart.

A lot of people hope. They hope and work and die without faith.
We aren't here for God to do everything for us. Jesus rebuked Peter for having little faith:

(New Testament | Matthew 14:31)

31 And immediately Jesus stretched forth his hand, and caught him, and said unto him, O thou of little faith, wherefore didst thou doubt?

We are here to learn and grow, not to hide our talent in the ground.

• Winner
Reactions: Daniel Marsh
Upvote 0

He is the way

Apr 17, 2018
Murray
✟113,072.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Married
God's Promise:

John 3
17 For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved. 18 He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.
(New Testament | Romans 12:9 - 15)

9 Let love be without dissimulation. Abhor that which is evil; cleave to that which is good.
10 Be kindly affectioned one to another with brotherly love; in honour preferring one another;
11 Not slothful in business; fervent in spirit; serving the Lord;
12 Rejoicing in hope; patient in tribulation; continuing instant in prayer;
13 Distributing to the necessity of saints; given to hospitality.
14 Bless them which persecute you: bless, and curse not.
15 Rejoice with them that do rejoice, and weep with them that weep.

• Winner
Upvote 0

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟81,425.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Name a million commandments. Who will attempt to obey them? The regenerated Christian or the one whom God has left to his sinful nature?
regenerate
[ verb ri-jen-uh-reyt; adjective ri-jen-er-it ]

verb (used with object), re·gen·er·at·ed, re·gen·er·at·ing.
to effect a complete moral reform in.
to re-create, reconstitute, or make over, especially in a better form or condition.

verb (used without object), re·gen·er·at·ed, re·gen·er·at·ing.
to come into existence or be formed again.
to reform; become regenerate.

How does a sinner get the new birth?

• Winner
Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟81,425.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
2 Timothy 3
15 And that from a child thou hast known the holy scriptures, which are able to make thee wise unto salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus. 16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: 17 That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.

Bible Basic Instructions.jpg

• Friendly
Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟81,425.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Compare Post #24 with the following:

Book of Mormon, 1 Nephi 13
28 Wherefore, thou seest that after the book hath gone forth through the hands of the great and abominable church, that there are many plain and precious things taken away from the book, which is the book of the Lamb of God.

29 And after these plain and precious things were taken away it goeth forth unto all the nations of the Gentiles; and after it goeth forth unto all the nations of the Gentiles, yea, even across the many waters which thou hast seen with the Gentiles which have gone forth out of captivity, thou seest—because of the many plain and precious things which have been taken out of the book, which were plain unto the understanding of the children of men, according to the plainness which is in the Lamb of God --- because of these things which are taken away out of the gospel of the Lamb, an exceedingly great many do stumble, yea, insomuch that Satan hath great power over them.

I believe 2 Tim. 3:16-17 is true!

• Winner
Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟81,425.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
We aren't here for God to do everything for us. Jesus rebuked Peter for having little faith:

(New Testament | Matthew 14:31)

31 And immediately Jesus stretched forth his hand, and caught him, and said unto him, O thou of little faith, wherefore didst thou doubt?
and caught him, and said unto him, O thou of little faith, wherefore didst thou doubt?

We are here to learn and grow, not to hide our talent in the ground.

I haven't even once told people to be slothful or to hide the gifts God has given them.

God's sheep are here to glorify Him!

• Winner
Upvote 0

He is the way

Apr 17, 2018
Murray
✟113,072.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Married
Name a million commandments. Who will attempt to obey them? The regenerated Christian or the one whom God has left to his sinful nature?
regenerate
[ verb ri-jen-uh-reyt; adjective ri-jen-er-it ]

verb (used with object), re·gen·er·at·ed, re·gen·er·at·ing.
to effect a complete moral reform in.
to re-create, reconstitute, or make over, especially in a better form or condition.

verb (used without object), re·gen·er·at·ed, re·gen·er·at·ing.
to come into existence or be formed again.
to reform; become regenerate.

How does a sinner get the new birth?
Only those who LOVE Jesus will obey the commandments:

(New Testament | John 14:15)

15 ¶ If ye love me, keep my commandments.

(New Testament | John 14:21)

21 He that hath my commandments, and keepeth them, he it is that loveth me: and he that loveth me shall be loved of my Father, and I will love him, and will manifest myself to him.

Once a person knows the commandments and is baptized for the remission of sins they should keep the commandments:

(New Testament | Romans 6:1 - 7)

1 WHAT shall we say then? Shall we continue in sin, that grace may abound?
2 God forbid. How shall we, that are dead to sin, live any longer therein?
3 Know ye not, that so many of us as were baptized into Jesus Christ were baptized into his death?
4 Therefore we are buried with him by baptism into death: that like as Christ was raised up from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life.
5 For if we have been planted together in the likeness of his death, we shall be also in the likeness of his resurrection:
6 Knowing this, that our old man is crucified with him, that the body of sin might be destroyed, that henceforth we should not serve sin.
7 For he that is dead is freed from sin.

• Friendly
Upvote 0

He is the way

Apr 17, 2018
Murray
✟113,072.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Married
Compare Post #24 with the following:

Book of Mormon, 1 Nephi 13
28 Wherefore, thou seest that after the book hath gone forth through the hands of the great and abominable church, that there are many plain and precious things taken away from the book, which is the book of the Lamb of God.

29 And after these plain and precious things were taken away it goeth forth unto all the nations of the Gentiles; and after it goeth forth unto all the nations of the Gentiles, yea, even across the many waters which thou hast seen with the Gentiles which have gone forth out of captivity, thou seest—because of the many plain and precious things which have been taken out of the book, which were plain unto the understanding of the children of men, according to the plainness which is in the Lamb of God --- because of these things which are taken away out of the gospel of the Lamb, an exceedingly great many do stumble, yea, insomuch that Satan hath great power over them.

I believe 2 Tim. 3:16-17 is true!
Yes they stumble because they believe they can continue to sin:

(New Testament | 2 Peter 2:21 - 22)

21 For it had been better for them not to have known the way of righteousness, than, after they have known it, to turn from the holy commandment delivered unto them.
22 But it is happened unto them according to the true proverb, The dog is turned to his own vomit again; and the sow that was washed to her wallowing in the mire.

• Friendly
Upvote 0

He is the way

Apr 17, 2018
Murray
✟113,072.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Married
I haven't even once told people to be slothful or to hide the gifts God has given them.

God's sheep are here to glorify Him!
(New Testament | Matthew 5:16)

16 Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven.

• Winner
Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟81,425.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed

That is NOT what BoM 1 Nephi 13:28-29 says!

The Bible doesn't teach people to "continue to sin."

Goodnight.

• Friendly
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

He is the way

Apr 17, 2018
Murray
✟113,072.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Married

That is NOT what BoM 1 Nephi 13:28-29 says!

The Bible doesn't teach people to "continue to sin."

Goodnight.
You said "The Bible doesn't teach people to "continue to sin."
That is correct, it teaches us to KEEP the commandments.

• Friendly
Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟81,425.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed

(New Testament | 2 Peter 2:21 - 22)

21 For it had been better for them not to have known the way of righteousness, than, after they have known it, to turn from the holy commandment delivered unto them.
22 But it is happened unto them according to the true proverb, The dog is turned to his own vomit again; and the sow that was washed to her wallowing in the mire.

That has NOTHING to do with 1 Nephi 13:29. You shouldn't pretend that it does. There is nothing in the Bible that encourages people to sin. You misrepresent the BoM as well as the Bible.

This is what 1 Nephi 13 actually says:

1 Nephi 13

This is your 13th article of faith:
13 We believe in being honest, true, chaste, benevolent, virtuous, and in doing good to all men; indeed, we may say that we follow the admonition of Paul—We believe all things, we hope all things, we have endured many things, and hope to be able to endure all things. If there is anything virtuous, lovely, or of good report or praiseworthy, we seek after these things. Joseph Smith.
Articles of Faith 1

• Friendly
Upvote 0

He is the way

Apr 17, 2018
Murray
✟113,072.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Married
That has NOTHING to do with 1 Nephi 13:29. You shouldn't pretend that it does. There is nothing in the Bible that encourages people to sin. You misrepresent the BoM as well as the Bible.

This is what 1 Nephi 13 actually says:

1 Nephi 13

This is your 13th article of faith:
13 We believe in being honest, true, chaste, benevolent, virtuous, and in doing good to all men; indeed, we may say that we follow the admonition of Paul—We believe all things, we hope all things, we have endured many things, and hope to be able to endure all things. If there is anything virtuous, lovely, or of good report or praiseworthy, we seek after these things. Joseph Smith.
Articles of Faith 1
I know exactly what 1 Nephi 13:29 states:

(Book of Mormon | 1 Nephi 13:29)

29 And after these plain and precious things were taken away it goeth forth unto all the nations of the Gentiles; and after it goeth forth unto all the nations of the Gentiles, yea, even across the many waters which thou hast seen with the Gentiles which have gone forth out of captivity, thou seest—because of the many plain and precious things which have been taken out of the book, which were plain unto the understanding of the children of men, according to the plainness which is in the Lamb of God—because of these things which are taken away out of the gospel of the Lamb, an exceedingly great many do stumble, yea, insomuch that Satan hath great power over them.

I also believe that one of the plain and precious things that was taken out which causes people to stumble was this:

(Book of Mormon | 2 Nephi 25:23)

23 For we labor diligently to write, to persuade our children, and also our brethren, to believe in Christ, and to be reconciled to God; for we know that it is by grace that we are saved, after all we can do.

This was revealed to us in the Book of Mormon and was most likely taken out of the Bible. Although we are saved by grace, the works of the law are necessary for salvation as are the ordinances. The Bible is clear that they are necessary.

• Friendly
Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟81,425.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed

29 And after these plain and precious things were taken away it goeth forth unto all the nations of the Gentiles; and after it goeth forth unto all the nations of the Gentiles, yea, even across the many waters which thou hast seen with the Gentiles which have gone forth out of captivity, thou seest—because of the many plain and precious things which have been taken out of the book, which were plain unto the understanding of the children of men, according to the plainness which is in the Lamb of God—because of these things which are taken away out of the gospel of the Lamb, an exceedingly great many do stumble, yea, insomuch that Satan hath great power over them.

I also believe that one of the plain and precious things that was taken out which causes people to stumble was this:

23 For we labor diligently to write, to persuade our children, and also our brethren, to believe in Christ, and to be reconciled to God; for we know that it is by grace that we are saved, after all we can do.

This was revealed to us in the Book of Mormon and was most likely taken out of the Bible. Although we are saved by grace, the works of the law are necessary for salvation as are the ordinances. The Bible is clear that they are necessary.

Regeneration changes our nature. That is why we obey.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Winner
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟81,425.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed

The Bible refutes Mormonism and acknowledges what God does for us. All glory to GOD!

• Friendly
Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟81,425.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed

Are you saying that Mormons are without sin? If not what is your point?

So you believe, as other Mormons do, that we have an incomplete and incorrect Bible that teaches Christians to continue in sin?

Ephesians 2: 8 and 9
1And you hath he quickened, who were dead in trespasses and sins; 2 Wherein in time past ye walked according to the course of this world, according to the prince of the power of the air, the spirit that now worketh in the children of disobedience: 3 Among whom also we all had our conversation in times past in the lusts of our flesh, fulfilling the desires of the flesh and of the mind; and were by nature the children of wrath, even as others. 4 But God, who is rich in mercy, for his great love wherewith he loved us, 5 Even when we were dead in sins, hath quickened us together with Christ, (by grace ye are saved) ...

8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: 9 Not of works, lest any man should boast.

• Winner
Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟81,425.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Although we are saved by grace, the works of the law are necessary for salvation as are the ordinances. The Bible is clear that they are necessary.

To Christians:
20 For when ye were the servants of sin, ye were free from righteousness. 21 What fruit had ye then in those things whereof ye are now ashamed? for the end of those things is death. 22 But now being made free from sin, and become servants to God, ye have your fruit unto holiness, and the end everlasting life. 23 For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.
Romans 6:20-23

In Mormonism, the works of the laws of Mormonism are required in order to qualify for eternal life. It's sort of like earning your Eagle Scout Award.

Eagle Scout Rank Requirements 2019:
Eagle Scout Rank Requirements 2019 | Boy Scouts of America

Upvote 0

He is the way

Apr 17, 2018
Murray
✟113,072.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Married

Are you saying that Mormons are without sin? If not what is your point?

So you believe, as other Mormons do, that we have an incomplete and incorrect Bible that teaches Christians to continue in sin?

Ephesians 2: 8 and 9
1And you hath he quickened, who were dead in trespasses and sins; 2 Wherein in time past ye walked according to the course of this world, according to the prince of the power of the air, the spirit that now worketh in the children of disobedience: 3 Among whom also we all had our conversation in times past in the lusts of our flesh, fulfilling the desires of the flesh and of the mind; and were by nature the children of wrath, even as others. 4 But God, who is rich in mercy, for his great love wherewith he loved us, 5 Even when we were dead in sins, hath quickened us together with Christ, (by grace ye are saved) ...

8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: 9 Not of works, lest any man should boast.
I am NOT saying that the Bible teaches anyone to sin, in fact it teaches the opposite. It also teaches that we can not be saved without works.

Upvote 0

He is the way

Apr 17, 2018
Murray
✟113,072.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Married
To Christians:
20 For when ye were the servants of sin, ye were free from righteousness. 21 What fruit had ye then in those things whereof ye are now ashamed? for the end of those things is death. 22 But now being made free from sin, and become servants to God, ye have your fruit unto holiness, and the end everlasting life. 23 For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.
Romans 6:20-23

In Mormonism, the works of the laws of Mormonism are required in order to qualify for eternal life. It's sort of like earning your Eagle Scout Award.

Eagle Scout Rank Requirements 2019:
Eagle Scout Rank Requirements 2019 | Boy Scouts of America
Both of my sons are eagle scouts.

Upvote 0