• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Equipped

Sep 28, 2018
Eastern Cape
✟16,768.00
Country
South Africa
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hello!

I was hoping that I could get some clarification about what I’m experiencing. I have not been able to see a professional about this yet but I hope to do so soon. My main question is - Do I Have OCD? I am going to give you a few examples (there are more) of some experiences I’ve had in the past and then I will get to what I am currently experiencing.

It is quite a lot to read. Thanks for the help in advance!

Example 1: When I was 15 I went through a stage where I was so disturbed because I thought “What if I’m gay?” - although I knew I wasn’t. This lasted for months and involved many tears and prayers. It affected my life at the time. I felt sick and I wouldn’t want to do anything or be around anyone. My mom would be like, “Just stop thinking about it” and I would say “I want to but I can’t!”... eventually that stopped after I realized that I’m definitely not gay.

Example 2: There was a stage when I would have to consciously think about breathing and swallowing. To the point where I couldn’t focus on anything else. I would end up feeling light headed and, sometimes, choking on my food. I also managed to get myself out of that. Glory to God for that!

Example 3: At the beginning of this year (22 years old). Started coming back to God after a few years of trying to do life on my own (FAIL). I was reading my bible and I came across the unforgivable sin verse. I read it and I was so scared that I had committed it. I thought it was when you use the Holy Spirit’s name in vein - immediately I started having to resist the urge to have the thought. Like I didn’t want to use the name in vein but my mind just wanted to! Eventually I had the thought in the back of my mind and my heart just dropped! I called my sister and she said that I shouldn’t worry because God knows our hearts and He will forgive me. (I also realized that isn’t actually what the unforgivable sin is) Although I was down for a few weeks I eventually brushed it off.- I have had the same thought a couple times since then but I’ve slowly been able to ignore it.

More recently when I really started pressing in to the word and my faith was at its strongest I suddenly started to struggle with so many thoughts like: what if I’m not praying to God but to the enemy, am I saved, is God angry with me now because of all of these thoughts, what if I don’t believe the Bible (stopped reading), do I believe in God?

Although I have these thoughts, I know that they are not true but I still can’t convince myself. The more I try tell myself they’re not true the more I think about them. It has also had a negative affect on my prayer life and bible reading.

At first when I was having these thoughts I was in a panic, I couldn’t eat, I couldn’t work and I just felt empty. I went to my sister in tears multiple times for reassurance and prayer. I also asked a church elder to pray for me. Although I would feel hopeful after the prayers I would eventually get back into the loop of thoughts again.

During this time I’ve read a lot on these forums about people going through similar things. So I eventually calmed down and started to see the thoughts as OCD which has been a relief and I can actually function again.

I am still having some thoughts that I still can’t seem to shake off but I do have hope and although I sometimes don’t feel His presence I remain faithful that God is going to get me through this.

What do you think. Do I have OCD?

Thank you all so much!

P.S: The thought I’m currently struggling with is, what if I’m not praying to God but to the enemy. I have had this thought before - got over it - and then another thought hit me. So it’s weird that I’m thinking it again. It really sucks because it stops me from praying. Any advice on how to reject this and other thoughts would also be appreciated!

Reactions: jb8185

friend of

A private in Gods army
Site Supporter
Dec 28, 2016
provincial
✟762,613.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I am still having some thoughts that I still can’t seem to shake off but I do have hope and although I sometimes don’t feel His presence I remain faithful that God is going to get me through this.

That is a good plan to have. I'm happy to hear of your resolve to pursue Christ. Never let that go. Lots of people on these forums have similar issues as you do but God still loves us and will abundantly pardon bad thoughts that pop up. If you direct your prayers to God, He hears and receives them, so don't worry about enemy interception, as the enemy has no claim on the pure intentions of your prayer. Welcome to the forums and may God continue to guide you on your journey.

Upvote 0

Samaritan Woman

Sep 2, 2013
Midwest
✟66,456.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hello!

I was hoping that I could get some clarification about what I’m experiencing. I have not been able to see a professional about this yet but I hope to do so soon. My main question is - Do I Have OCD? I am going to give you a few examples (there are more) of some experiences I’ve had in the past and then I will get to what I am currently experiencing.

Example 1: When I was 15 I went through a stage where I was so disturbed because I thought “What if I’m gay?” - although I knew I wasn’t. This lasted for months and involved many tears and prayers. It affected my life at the time. I felt sick and I wouldn’t want to do anything or be around anyone. My mom would be like, “Just stop thinking about it” and I would say “I want to but I can’t!”... eventually that stopped after I realized that I’m definitely not gay.

Example 2: There was a stage when I would have to consciously think about breathing and swallowing. To the point where I couldn’t focus on anything else. I would end up feeling light headed and, sometimes, choking on my food. I also managed to get myself out of that. Glory to God for that!

Example 3: At the beginning of this year (22 years old). Started coming back to God after a few years of trying to do life on my own (FAIL). I was reading my bible and I came across the unforgivable sin verse. I read it and I was so scared that I had committed it. I thought it was when you use the Holy Spirit’s name in vein - immediately I started having to resist the urge to have the thought. Like I didn’t want to use the name in vein but my mind just wanted to! Eventually I had the thought in the back of my mind and my heart just dropped! I called my sister and she said that I shouldn’t worry because God knows our hearts and He will forgive me. (I also realized that isn’t actually what the unforgivable sin is) Although I was down for a few weeks I eventually brushed it off.- I have had the same thought a couple times since then but I’ve slowly been able to ignore it.

More recently when I really started pressing in to the word and my faith was at its strongest I suddenly started to struggle with so many thoughts like: what if I’m not praying to God but to the enemy, am I saved, is God angry with me now because of all of these thoughts, what if I don’t believe the Bible (stopped reading), do I believe in God?

Although I have these thoughts, I know that they are not true but I still can’t convince myself. The more I try tell myself they’re not true the more I think about them. It has also had a negative affect on my prayer life and bible reading.

At first when I was having these thoughts I was in a panic, I couldn’t eat, I couldn’t work and I just felt empty. I went to my sister in tears multiple times for reassurance and prayer. I also asked a church elder to pray for me. Although I would feel hopeful after the prayers I would eventually get back into the loop of thoughts again.

During this time I’ve read a lot on these forums about people going through similar things. So I eventually calmed down and started to see the thoughts as OCD which has been a relief and I can actually function again.

Thank you all so much!

P.S: The thought I’m currently struggling with is, what if I’m not praying to God but to the enemy. I have had this thought before - got over it - and then another thought hit me. So it’s weird that I’m thinking it again. It really sucks because it stops me from praying. Any advice on how to reject this and other thoughts would also be appreciated!

I would definitely recommend seeing a psychiatrist for a proper diagnosis. Prior to the appointment, keep a diary of all the behavior/thought patterns you are experiencing so the doctor can get a realistic picture of the scope of your possible illness. In the meantime, here's a reliable informational website of an OCD organization you may want to look at -

What is OCD? - International OCD Foundation

Upvote 0

Johnny4ChristJesus

Site Supporter
Oct 27, 2017
Falcon
✟164,968.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hello!

Thank you all so much!

Rather than find a label, why not find freedom? Please try listening to Scripture while you sleep for a month and see if you notice a difference in any of what troubles you. I would suggest focusing on the New Testament at this point.

Upvote 0

Thee Librarian

Jan 25, 2018
Chicago
✟16,306.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Hello!

Thank you all so much!

While you might stumble on the correct diagnosis online, face to face help is best.

Upvote 0

Blood Bought

BloodBought
Sep 27, 2018
South
✟25,456.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I had the same problem, so you are not alone. I was delivered of it after a number of years. Here are some things that will dramatically help you.

1) You have to break the cycle. The way it made sense to me is you have two evil spirits working against you. One puts an evil thought in your mind, such as an irrational doubt or some ridiculous "what if" ; well if that was the only spirit working against you; you could be good enough on your own to say "get out of here satan" and move on. But then a spirit of fear comes in; and puts some fear behind the irrational thought. Now you have fear behind the stupid thought; when fear is involved it becomes much harder to dismiss the thought without giving it any consideration. So you sit there and try to reason your way out of fear, you think about and keep telling yourself a million reasons why it is false; because you know in your heart it is false - but you are not at rest until your mind is at rest. Eventually you will find something that reassures you for a little while; until the cycle happens again. This cycle will never end, until you realize what is going on and stop falling into the same traps. So this is the first step. You have to literally need to stop thinking about it, train your mind to think about nothing; or quote scripture, speak in tongues, pray for someone else, run around the block - anything to stop your mind. If another intrusive thought comes in; literally stop it in its tracks and refuse to think about it - Steady Your Mind - Fight to have a Steady Mind, with No racing thoughts, Literally shut your mind down to the intrusive thoughts; to me it felt like a arm wrestling match. Focus your attention so hard to something else and with all your strength refuse to allow intrusive thoughts come in;if they do literally with every brain muscle you have, force them out. Its hard; but after awhile it will get easier; trust me!

A Steady Mind is what I am talking about. In a way, stop yourself from thinking about anything; "A SOUND MIND IS WHAT YOUR AFTER"; a sound mind is not a racing mind. Just like when I am at work; my mind is not actively thinking about anything; its just focused and sound; not racing. Not actively thinking about anything. That is what I am talking about, nothing more. So, i doubt you would but don't over apply this to be some mystical thing where your sitting around meditating like Buddha; that is not good. Its kind of hard to explain brain problems in words. But if your going through this you probably know what I mean.

I mean you have to fight this; despite how you feel - you can not give in to thinking about this. You need to write down on paper, or on your phone so you always have it with you - this exact trap that the devil is using against you. So you can read it and reassure yourself that what you are feeling is a deception; without opening your mind up to reasoning. It sounds crazy, but you need to read it; don't try to open your mind up to remembering it when the attack is coming because you will open your mind up to more of the attack, fall and find yourself back where you started. This will be insanely hard the first 30 days; then 60 days you will have a lot more power over the intrusive thoughts to dismiss them as they come in. As time goes on you will gain victory - but don't be surprised if it takes a lot of getting knocked down and getting back up again. I had to fight this about three years; before I had victory in this area (but I also didn't have anyone who was victorious to tell me what worked, so by God's Grace I finally listened to the Holy Spirit enough to learn how to do this). I still have to watch myself because I know I am susceptible to this; and I desire not to fall into this pit again.

2) You need to relentlessly pursue God and understanding His love and Grace. Andrew Wommack has done an excellent job of presenting Gods Grace, Love, and the New Covenant. Listen to his series on "God's Kind of Love" FYI - I am Not trying to get into any theological debate; about Andrew Wommack. So any comments about him; please stop before you start. This is not the place. He does a great job explaining the New Covenant and Gods Love; and I will leave it at that.

3) You need stop going deep in your mind and dig around about "what if" situations. Your mind is carnal. You can not trust it; trust your born again Spirit. Never entertain for even a millisecond a "what if" situation. What if is of the devil.

4) Determine that you are going to believe Gods word and what He says about you; No Matter How You Feel!!!! Feelings will lead you astray; DO NOT TRUST THEM - unless they line up with Gods word - then you can trust them:) But you have to Believe God's Word above your feelings every time; this is non negotiable.

5) Realize how Satan speaks to you and how the Holy Spirit speaks. Satan will create fear, confusion, make you feel like your all alone, and up a creak without a paddle. God's Holy Spirit will speak truth, cause you to Grow, turn away from what is bad and trust in what is Good. Any voice or thought that causes you to grow in your relationship with God is from God; because it is only God who causes growth. So when you get something that causes you to grow; write it down; re read it; meditate on it, let its roots go down deep and bear fruit in your life; and whatever you do; DO NOT let the devil steal what God has planted in your heart. And know this; the devil will come to try to take it from you; that is guaranteed; so be prepared and ready to keep what God has given you in your heart.

6) Understand how much of a new creation you are. Literally you are no longer a product of your past. You are entirely new; no matter if you feel like it or not. You need to dwell on this; until with the help of the Holy Spirit you can let go of the past failures. You should have no conspicuousness of past failures; they have been paid for in full. You are no longer your past; so instead of dwelling on the past; spend time redeeming the future.

7) Seek Gods calling on your life. This is where you will go from sustaining to flying. You need to get your mind off you; and onto your calling. Cling to Jesus and walk with Him; doing the works that He did. Get your mind on the lost; on his purposes, and start working for Him. This is one is Huge.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Blood Bought

BloodBought
Sep 27, 2018
South
✟25,456.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
BTW - I overcame this with only Jesus; no drugs:) All things are possible for those who believe!!!!

FYI - I have no opinions on drugs to help you get through this; but I know for me - when it started; i felt God told me not to get medication. It was so hard; for me, but I wouldn't trade it for the world. I even went to the doctor and got a bottle of Zoloft, had it in my cabinet and was ready to take it; but then stopped before I did it. But this trial forced me to dig deep with God; in ways I would have never done without the trial. I am better, stronger, more in love with Jesus than I ever would have been without the struggle; and you will be too!!!!

I never wanted my testimony to be in some drug; i wanted to be able to give Jesus the Glory; and it happened. Victory is Just around to corner brothers and sisters; never loose hope but believe. God is ABLE!!!!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Samaritan Woman

Sep 2, 2013
Midwest
✟66,456.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I had the same problem, so you are not alone. I was delivered of it after a number of years. Here are some things that will dramatically help you.

1) You have to break the cycle. The way it made sense to me is you have two evil spirits working against you. One puts an evil thought in your mind, such as an irrational doubt or some ridiculous "what if" ; well if that was the only spirit working against you; you could be good enough on your own to say "get out of her satan" and move on. But then a spirit of fear comes in; and puts some fear behind the irrational thought. Now you have fear behind the stupid thought; when fear is involved it becomes much harder to dismiss the thought without giving it any consideration. So you sit there and try to reason your way out of fear, you think about and keep telling yourself a million reasons why it is false; because you know in your heart it is false - but you are not at rest until your mind is at rest. Eventually you will find something that reassures you for a little while; until the cycle happens again. This cycle will never end, until you realize what is going on and stop falling into the same traps. So this is the first step. You have to literally need to stop thinking about it, train your mind to think about nothing; or quote scripture, speak in tongues, pray for someone else, run around the block - anything to stop your mind. If another intrusive thought comes in; literally stop it in its tracks and refuse to think about it - practice thinking about nothing.

Blood Bought - I know you mean very well with your advice but I am correcting some of your advice.

Spiritual warfare is not to be conducted with statements such as "Get behind me Satan" (I hear this instruction throughout the Christian community) - we are never instructed to say this in the NT because our words have no power. Rather Ephesians 6:13-17 (with an emphasis on the "sword of the Spirit") is our guideline for spiritual warfare.

Training one's mind "to think about nothing", aka emptying one's mind, is based in Eastern mysticism and practiced by yogis in India; this practice is a wide open door for demonic entanglements. Again, believers are NEVER instructed to do this because God knows of its dangers. Instead we are called to be transformed through the renewing of our minds. I do agree with you regarding finding a physical activity to break the cycle of obsessional thoughts; sometimes it works but sometimes it doesn't.

Reactions: Blood Bought
Upvote 0

Blood Bought

BloodBought
Sep 27, 2018
South
✟25,456.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Ok, well take it or leave it; but it worked for me; "and about the thinking about nothing" is called resting; certainly i am sure your mind is never always racing with intrusive thoughts. Thinking about nothing is just resting; a mind isn't always meant to be racing with thoughts. When I am at work; my mind isn't racing with thoughts - its focused on what i am doing. A mind does not always have to be actively thinking about something - Maybe you misunderstood what I was saying:) My apologies for not being more clear - certainly I am not endorsing some Eastern Mysticism thing. But I am certainly promoting letting your mind rest in the promises of God; and getting focused on something so your mind is not actively racing with intrusive thoughts.

Upvote 0

Blood Bought

BloodBought
Sep 27, 2018
South
✟25,456.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Definitely to her point don't over apply what i was saying here; to make it something more than it was. To better explain what I meant was to say; Get so focused on something else that your mind isn't actively racing. So when i say "think about nothing" I mean; not some weird Mysticism thing; where you are trying to be like a buddest or something. I just mean refuse to give into the intrusive thoughts and get so focused on something else so that your mind isn't racing. Thats all I meant. Please don't over apply what I said.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Blood Bought

BloodBought
Sep 27, 2018
South
✟25,456.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Oh, and one more thing - If the intrusive thoughts are Nasty; Do not take credit for them. If it is intrusive and unwanted - A nasty thought is just the devil. He wants you to feel guilty about it and walk around in self condemnation. So don't let it get you guilt ridden or bothered even 1%; no more than it would bother you if you saw someone else say something blasphemous. If your neighbor said something blasphemous; would you feel so guilty; of course not. Its not different; its just in a evil spirit trying to mess with your mind; the less attention you give him the quicker he will leave. I'm speaking from real world experience; from the brink of going nuts to delivered from OCD - Only BY JESUS!!! We are More than Over comers! Never give up or back down; the battle has been won!!! By His Stripes You Are Healed! All Things Are Possible For those Who Believe. Anybody struggling - Victory is just around the corner!!! Be Blessed God Loves You!!!

Upvote 0

Blood Bought

BloodBought
Sep 27, 2018
South
✟25,456.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Also, I went through this 21 day detox which really has some good practical tips and is super inexpensive. It didn't take me 21 days; more like 360+ days; but it did give me a lot of great advice that I still use to this day to keep me from going back into that ugly pit. Dr. Leaf 21 Day Brain Detox Program

Upvote 0

Blood Bought

BloodBought
Sep 27, 2018
South
✟25,456.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
A couple more tips I thought of:

Work Hard to reinforce the truth, when God speaks to your heart and gives you an aha moment when reading the scriptures, write it down. Focus on these truths, spend time thinking hard on true thoughts, despite how you feel. Force feed your brain true thoughts if you have too.

It’s like training new trenches on your brain, so they will naturally travel to the truth instead of naturally travel to a lie.

Reinforcing truth is Biblical. It says something like “whatever is pure, what ever is Holy dwell in these things”. And “don’t be conformed to this world but transformed by the renewing of your mind”

Also, this is a biggie - you need to teach yourself to an optimist, literally force out doubts. Doest matter how you feel, feelings are far from reality. Your favorite thought needs to be “God will”. Example, I feel like crap today, but I know God Will save me,because He is faithful and He said, ALL things are possible for those who believe.

Or I had a bad day today, God forgive me for taking a step backwards today but I know “God Will” bring me back better tomorrow. NEVER DOUBT, doubting hurts Gods heart and it says (paraphrased) that if we doubt we shouldn’t expect to receive an answer to our prayer. We all need our prayers answered, ultimately your deliverance is going to come from the Lord one way or another, so don’t doubt.

This is one thing that I got pretty good at, and when you get pretty Good at it too, you can think how Glorified God is when you stay focused and don’t doubt God when it feels like all hell is breaking loose in your mind. That takes a lot of strength!

One last thing You Must Take Every Thought Captive, no exceptions. God gave us a unique ability to see a thought come in and examine if it is a good thought or a toxic thought before actually receive the thought and let it loose into your brain. If it is toxic, throw it out before you open it up. I think of it like my brain is full or wrinkles and creases, a good bible truth that is revealed by the Holy Spirit is a good clean pressed crease in my brain, but a bad toxic thought creates an ugly wrinkle. Ugly wrinkles in my brain are a real pain to iron out, it’s a lot easier to prevent them from ever happening in the first place. This is just my analogy to how it feels to me. You will get there, i still practice these principles, because even though I have the chronic intrusive thoughts overcome, I still have to fully overcome a couple strongholds that developed from some bad teaching, but I am well on my way and I am sure you will be too if you practice these principles diligently. Always feel free to email me at rev12.11@aol.com, if you ever need some encouragement, that is what I am here for. God bless.

Reactions: Hopeful37
Upvote 0

Mari17

Jun 17, 2017
Newport
✟143,212.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hello!

Thank you all so much!

Wow, these are all classic OCD obsessions. It's funny how there are so many of us with OCD, but most of us manage to obsess about the same things. :) I don't have time for a lengthy response right now, but I'd be more than happy to share some of my experience and advice if you'd like. The short answer is that OCD is treatable and that it involves learning how to deal with your thoughts in a way that de-emphasizes them and thus makes them less apt to bother you. OCD is like a glitch in the functioning of the brain, and those of us with OCD tend to latch onto things that make us worry because we are already predisposed to be anxious. It is NOT caused by a spiritual defect! There are a lot of great resources online for people with OCD; here are a couple to get you started:
http://ocdandchristianity.com/
OCDOnline.com
Welcome

Reactions: Ann77
Upvote 0

Kostilaks

Aug 24, 2018
Macedonia
✟72,424.00
Country
Greece
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Wow, these are all classic OCD obsessions. It's funny how there are so many of us with OCD, but most of us manage to obsess about the same things. :) I don't have time for a lengthy response right now, but I'd be more than happy to share some of my experience and advice if you'd like. The short answer is that OCD is treatable and that it involves learning how to deal with your thoughts in a way that de-emphasizes them and thus makes them less apt to bother you. OCD is like a glitch in the functioning of the brain, and those of us with OCD tend to latch onto things that make us worry because we are already predisposed to be anxious. It is NOT caused by a spiritual defect! There are a lot of great resources online for people with OCD; here are a couple to get you started:
http://ocdandchristianity.com/
OCDOnline.com
Welcome

Hi, Mary I am replying to this post so I can get your attention. I could not send you a pm. it seems you are very familiar with ocd stuff. can you check my profile and read my last topic?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

MJ Emberzo

Jun 27, 2020
National City
✟18,694.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hello!

Thank you all so much!

How are u doing now

Upvote 0