Do I belong anywhere?

Rose Water

Oct 3, 2012
✟15,159.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Hi, everyone, I'm new here. What I have to say might be a little strange, so please keep in mind that it's not my intention to offend anyone. I'm kind of in a bad place right now, and I don't really know where to turn for advice or answers. Hope this is the right forum; it seemed the most appropriate.

I'm 24, and almost all of my family (close family and extended) are devout Christians. Many of my family members are actually pastors, and I've loved growing up with them and attending their churches. They are amazing people, and I had come to make lots of friends in their churches. That was a few years ago, though. Now most of my family has disowned me. I talk to my parents sometimes, but they're very cold toward me and I feel as though they would rather not see me. For many years I practiced the Christian faith, because it seemed to be the truth. There is too much beauty and wonder in this universe for there not to be a God.

But I don't know why God would have made me the way He did. A few years ago, after a lifetime of self-denial and confusion, I finally decided to listen to my heart and accept myself for who I am. Then I came out to my family. I am a woman, though I was born a boy. I started hormone replacement therapy, and started dressing in the clothes I've always liked. A bit later and I had a couple surgeries (on my face, and chest). For me, it was liberating, right, and real. For my family, it was abominable.

They told me that God had made me a boy for a reason, and to go against His will would be giving my soul to satan. They tried to talk me out of it, and sent me to a Christian therapist that told me I just had to try to be a boy, and work through it. I really am afraid that I will go to Hell because of this, but I did not feel I had a choice. It was either this, which seems so right, or a life of misery that would likely be cut short by suicide.

I miss my family, though. I have a boyfriend, and he's really my only friend at the moment. I'm afraid to even tell my parents about him. My grandma, and most of my aunts, uncles and cousins that I used to be so close to, refuse to speak to me. The churches I attended, that they run, do not want me as a member the way I am. I have breasts and a feminine figure, and I wear makeup, but inside I am the same person that I have always been. They don't seem to understand that.

I live in a very, very conservative area, and I'm afraid to even seek out a new church to help me in what is basically a spiritual crisis. I seriously doubt that any church near here would accept me for who I am, and that in itself is scary. It makes me wonder if something might really be wrong with me. I don't want to spend an eternity in Hell, and I want to spend Christmas with my parents together again, someday. This is terrible of me, and I feel guilty about it, but sometimes I am very angry with God for making me a boy. I should have been born a girl, so that I could be the woman I am without all of these horrible experiences. I love my family with all of my heart, but I feel as though they hate me. I've never heard of another Christian transsexual, and I sometimes wonder if I am truly all alone.

Sorry, I don't even know what it is that I am asking here. I'm lost.

GenetoJean

Veteran
Jun 25, 2012
Delaware
Visit site
✟18,940.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Oh, sweety, I am soo glad I saw your post. You are NOT alone. Welcome to our forum, this is what we are here for. As you can see, I am transgender as well. Just not as far along in transition as you. Please know you are loved here and will be loved by many more as they get to know you.

Please PM me anytime when you have posted enough to have PMs available to you. There is a minimum post count before you can PM.

Upvote 0

Leanora

Oct 1, 2012
Oregon
✟7,613.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
My dear friend, you are not alone. I am a believer in Christ and an ally with members of the LGBTQ community - those two are NOT incompatible! I am so sorry about your family. I have heard of family members reacting like that far too often. While nothing could ever replace you family, what my LGBTQ friends have told me is that they have chosen to create their own families outside the normative (not "normal," just what's accepted currently) definition of family. You can do that too. You already have, by joining this group, and I'd bet you've already looked up trans communities online. I hope there are resources in your area. Where I live there's a wonderful organization which caters to our LGBTQ community, and it has weekly support groups for transgender/sexual people. Maybe there's something like that near you?

I do not know everything about what is right or wrong or why things happen the way they do, but I do believe completely that you are not what your parents say. I do not believe that you are sinning or going against the will of your Creator. The argument your parents are using on you is the same argument Christians used a hundred years ago against pregnant women using analgesics during birth - God decreed that they should feel pain in childbirth (see Genesis); therefore, it would be a sin against God to make a woman's birth in any way less painful. I think we can all agree that's bull...well, you know how that word ends. Apparently we get censored here? That's neat. The point is, it isn't true. The more people presume to know what God's up to, the safer it is to assume they're taking liberties in putting their own opinions into God's mouth. People also are afraid of what they do not understand, and our culture has done an excellent job of stacking the deck against anyone who isn't heteronormative. What that means is you are not the problem. You are good.

Anyway, welcome. I think you will find support here. Not just here, either. There are people who believe in the same faith you do, and believe in the same values of congruence between body and self. Until you find them (and after, too), I hope you find good things here. :)

Upvote 0

Catherineanne

Sep 1, 2004
Europe
✟76,860.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
I live in a very, very conservative area, and I'm afraid to even seek out a new church to help me in what is basically a spiritual crisis. I seriously doubt that any church near here would accept me for who I am, and that in itself is scary. It makes me wonder if something might really be wrong with me. I don't want to spend an eternity in Hell, and I want to spend Christmas with my parents together again, someday. This is terrible of me, and I feel guilty about it, but sometimes I am very angry with God for making me a boy. I should have been born a girl, so that I could be the woman I am without all of these horrible experiences. I love my family with all of my heart, but I feel as though they hate me. I've never heard of another Christian transsexual, and I sometimes wonder if I am truly all alone.

Hi Rose Water, lost or not, you are not alone. You have brothers and sisters in faith around you, and I hope we can help a little. I am sorry for the terrible sufferings you have had, over such a long time.

If you want to be angry with God, or with your family, then go ahead; feelings are allowed. Anger is only destructive if we allow it to be. I have found that if we are honest with God about how we feel, whatever the situation, then he will accept that honesty; it is only people who cannot cope with the truth.

There is no point asking why you have been given this particular cross to bear; we all have a cross, they are all different, and we all have to bear them. What is important to remember, I think, is that it is not the case that you are singled out for this, and everyone else is fine. Everyone else is not fine; each person has his or her own cross.

My life is very different from yours, but the principles for carrying on are the same. Find a reason to get up each day by finding someone less well off, less fortunate than you are, and helping them. It doesn't much matter who they are; the only important thing is that you are doing what you can to serve a brother or sister, and through that person, to serve the Lord.

As for a church, I would not give up on that one. I am Anglican (Episcopalian), and on the whole I think Anglicans can be accepting. We can also, of course, be just as bigotted as anyone else. Just remember when you encounter those bigots, that is their cross, and then ask yourself, would you swap with them? :)

God be with you, and keep posting.

Upvote 0

versesvsvices

Aug 12, 2012
California
Visit site
✟15,258.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
They told me that God had made me a boy for a reason, and to go against His will would be giving my soul to satan.
Yes, and I'm sure God made my mother a brunette for a reason, but she still can't live without her Clairol.

God made you the way you are, transgendered included. Who are these people to tell you God's plans and intentions? They believe God made you the way you are so that you can spend your life denying who you are and feeling miserable? That's the kind of God they worship?

You're fine. Even if we don't know why God sometimes makes people a little unconventional, He made you just the same, and He wants you to love yourself and be happy.

Personally, I believe God makes transgendered people to show us how we're too caught up in gender roles. The more we accept transgendered people, the more we as a society are able to accept equality between the genders.

Upvote 0

Milan45

Teutonic Order of Knights
Sep 28, 2012
ANTARTICA!!!!!!!
✟7,861.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
<edit>

Hmmm , this is a question to think about. You want to be a female, but you was born male.I understand.

I think you won't go to Hell for this, because as you said, you are the same character as before.

But from the dark side, your whole family hates you for this.

I will pray for you, and I don't know how to solve this situation, but the Lord knows. And I hope he will guide you. :)

Blessings!

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

Jahleel

Sep 19, 2012
UK
✟283.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Just know some of the other forums you will get different answers. I have never been treated mean but have been told I am a sinner. This forum is for the more liberal Christians.

Ain`t everyone? lol
@Rose Water, you are who you are, so long as you don`t hurt anyone etc than it`s all good.
Quote this to your parents, and see what they say.;)
New Living Translation Bible said:
Romans 13:8
"Owe nothing to anyone&#8212;except for your obligation to love one another. If you love your neighbor, you will fulfill the requirements of God&#8217;s law."
New Living Translation Bible said:
Matthew 7:1
"Do not judge others, and you will not be judged."

Luke 6:37
&#8220;Do not judge others, and you will not be judged. Do not condemn others, or it will all come back against you. Forgive others, and you will be forgiven.

They shouldn`t be disowning you just because you`ve gone from being a man to a woman.So long as you are a nice person, i mean by the thoughts and acts you do, your a good person in my book.I wouldn`t care if you were an alien,so long as you have/had a good heart.
If your family don`t want nothing to do with you i`d leave them tbh, it`s their beef,and if they can`t accept you for who you are then hey that`s their loss:thumbsup:

God Bless.

P.S Just to clarify, i`m not GLBorT.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

jennimatts

Blessed by God!
May 29, 2011
United States, Pacific Northwest
✟14,186.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I really am afraid that I will go to Hell because of this

Hello Rose. You need not fear - God loves you!

John 3:16 (NIV)
For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.

Maybe it will help you to think of it this way...

For God so loved Rose that he gave his one and only Son, that Rose believing in him shall not perish but have eternal life.

Many Christians and Churches have a detailed "formula" for salvation, yet it is incredibly simple. The thief crucified next to Jesus exclaimed in faith "Remember me..." and was saved.

People often believe that certain sins exclude others from salvation. (They forget that they are sinners too.) Nowhere in the Bible does it say "salvation, except for transsexuals".

Romans 3:20-24 (NIV)
Therefore no one will be declared righteous in God’s sight by the works of the law; rather, through the law we become conscious of our sin. But now apart from the law the righteousness of God has been made known, to which the Law and the Prophets testify. This righteousness is given through faith in Jesus Christ to all who believe. There is no difference between Jew and Gentile, for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, and all are justified freely by his grace through the redemption that came by Christ Jesus.

Upvote 0

jennimatts

Blessed by God!
May 29, 2011
✟14,186.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

Jahleel

Sep 19, 2012
UK
✟283.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Just remembered another nice verse
New Living Translation said:
Romans 2:6-11
"6 He will judge everyone according to what they have done. 7 He will give eternal life to those who keep on doing good, seeking after the glory and honor and immortality that God offers. 8 But he will pour out his anger and wrath on those who live for themselves, who refuse to obey the truth and instead live lives of wickedness. 9 There will be trouble and calamity for everyone who keeps on doing what is evil&#8212;for the Jew first and also for the Gentile.[a] 10 But there will be glory and honor and peace from God for all who do good&#8212;for the Jew first and also for the Gentile. 11 For God does not show favoritism."

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

SuziTiri

FRIEND WITH OPEN ARMS
May 8, 2012
Victoria BC, Canada
✟17,163.00
Faith
Oneness
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
CA-Liberals
you are among friends here . i am lesbian myself and part of my family was not very accepting.. I have many wonderful friends who are transgender who are going through what you are going through. Keep strong and there are many people who love and care for you. you are beautiful as you are meant to be,,we know deep in our hearts who we are,,,God loves us no matter what :) God Bless friend....cheers,,suzi :)

Upvote 0

Rose Water

Oct 3, 2012
✟15,159.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Again, thank you all. You have shared some very inspiring Bible verses, and stories of other people in my position (some of you even are in similar situations). I'm still really struggling with my faith. My family members that study and share the Bible for a living have very different interpretations of the books than what you seem to. And I'm not trying to put you down and say that you are misinterpreting anything; I just don't understand why they would feel so strongly about you being wrong as to remove me from their lives. Those of us that believe it's okay to be gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender or whatever really seem to be in the minority. I watched a documentary about homosexual Christians, and have read tons and tons on the subject. It really isn't a big theme, and is only mentioned in a few places at all. Some pastors feel that it was written in a place and time where disease and famine ran rampant, and children died more often than they lived, so it was included as a means of that particular society producing enough children to continue their existence. Why has it become such a big issue in modern Christianity?

I don't understand my own feelings on the matter. It seems that most of those who are more qualified to interpret the Word of God feel it really is a big deal. Even so, what would that mean for me? We're told that men should not lie with men, and men should not wear women's garments, but I don't believe that I am a man. Would it be wrong of me to sleep with a woman? Or am I really a man, because of my body? I saw some interesting research that suggested male to female transsexuals have brains that appear to be more like a woman's than the average man's. I would link it, but I can't. I feel that my mind *must* be female, in at least some ways. Am I my mind, my body, both, or neither? And how does my soul play into all of that? Why would God do this to me? I've lost almost everything I held dear in this life.

Upvote 0

camethodactor

Sep 21, 2007
Claremont, CA
✟15,629.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Green
Know from the core of your being, my sister, that you are God's beloved, beautiful blessed child created in God's image and held in God's unwavering and unfailing love for all time. God will never forsake nor leave you. God created all of us in our diversity so we can learn to get along with each other. As the 139th Psalm says, "That you are fearfully and wonderfully made". You should never be ashamed of the person that God created you as. On behalf of the body of Christ, I apologize for all people who have ever misused the Bible, and dragged the names of God and Christ into transphobia and homophobia. Explain to your family the radical nature of Jesus' ministry. When Jesus included lepers, prostitutes, tax collectors and other socially undesirables into his ministry, when Jesus forgave a woman caught in adultery, when he condemned the fundamentalists of his day for casting people out of God's kingdom, for being outwardly innocent but full of corruption, for being mindful of the word but neglecting the weightier matters of justice. When he went into the temple to drive out the money changers and said, "My house shall be called a house for ALL people and you have turned into a den of thieves". I would encourage you to check out the following open and affirming denominations as a choice for a church family: Presbyterian Church USA, Metropolitan Community Churches (MCC), the United Church of Christ (UCC), the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ), the Episcopal Church (TEC), the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA), the Reconciling churches of the United Methodist Church, the American Baptists, the Welcoming and Affirming Baptists, the Alliance of Baptists and the Cooperative Baptist Fellowship (CBF).
Hi, everyone, I'm new here. What I have to say might be a little strange, so please keep in mind that it's not my intention to offend anyone. I'm kind of in a bad place right now, and I don't really know where to turn for advice or answers. Hope this is the right forum; it seemed the most appropriate.

I'm 24, and almost all of my family (close family and extended) are devout Christians. Many of my family members are actually pastors, and I've loved growing up with them and attending their churches. They are amazing people, and I had come to make lots of friends in their churches. That was a few years ago, though. Now most of my family has disowned me. I talk to my parents sometimes, but they're very cold toward me and I feel as though they would rather not see me. For many years I practiced the Christian faith, because it seemed to be the truth. There is too much beauty and wonder in this universe for there not to be a God.

But I don't know why God would have made me the way He did. A few years ago, after a lifetime of self-denial and confusion, I finally decided to listen to my heart and accept myself for who I am. Then I came out to my family. I am a woman, though I was born a boy. I started hormone replacement therapy, and started dressing in the clothes I've always liked. A bit later and I had a couple surgeries (on my face, and chest). For me, it was liberating, right, and real. For my family, it was abominable.

They told me that God had made me a boy for a reason, and to go against His will would be giving my soul to satan. They tried to talk me out of it, and sent me to a Christian therapist that told me I just had to try to be a boy, and work through it. I really am afraid that I will go to Hell because of this, but I did not feel I had a choice. It was either this, which seems so right, or a life of misery that would likely be cut short by suicide.

I miss my family, though. I have a boyfriend, and he's really my only friend at the moment. I'm afraid to even tell my parents about him. My grandma, and most of my aunts, uncles and cousins that I used to be so close to, refuse to speak to me. The churches I attended, that they run, do not want me as a member the way I am. I have breasts and a feminine figure, and I wear makeup, but inside I am the same person that I have always been. They don't seem to understand that.

Upvote 0

Criada

Site Supporter
Feb 6, 2007
✟114,628.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
I'm so sorry you are dealing with this without the support of your family. :hug:
God loves you, very much :hug: He didn't 'do this to you', any more than he makes people ill or causes disasters to happen.
We live in a fallen world, and things are messed up because of that. Children are born with missing limbs or defective hearts, good people die in car crashes... and sometimes people are born with a gender identity issue. It doesn't mean that you are bad, or that God is punishing you... and it certainly doesn't mean that he doesn't love you :hug:

You are precious, and He has a plan for you, just as you are. Keep listening, keep praying, and above all, keep believing that you are loved by God, whatever anyone says.
Praying for you, sister :hug:

Reactions: SuziTiri
Upvote 0

jennimatts

Blessed by God!
May 29, 2011
✟14,186.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I'm still really struggling with my faith. My family members that study and share the Bible for a living have very different interpretations...

I don't understand my own feelings on the matter.

It is understandable that you struggle with faith. Many Christians believe that to be transgender is to commit mortal sin, and you have likely been taught this repeatedly over many years.

I don't think it would be appropriate for you to simply take my interpretation of scripture as fact (nor that of anyone who gives you advice on this forum). But, please allow me to suggest you commit to regular prayer and bible study to clarify your understanding of scripture and strengthen your faith.

Perhaps you will also find the following links helpful. These pages are written by a transsexual, and while I don't agree completely with all of her beliefs, I believe they deserve contemplation.

Answered Prayers

One Day At A Time

God Don't Make No Junk

Upvote 0