Do Catholics pray the prayer of salvation?

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Recon

Ok then I'll rephrase:
How would you feel if all your friends got together and said the same thing to you every time they talked to you? No matter how good it is what they are saying, its the same thing every time. Wouldn't you begin to wonder if they have been transformed into parrots or dictation machines or something?
Wouldn't you want to hear what is really on their minds instead of hearing the same thing over and over?

Upvote 0

onesheep

Sheep that looks like Bob
Feb 7, 2002
Visit site
✟16,741.00
Faith
Catholic
Yes, Recon, I would.

But two points:

1. Since that's not the only time people get together to celebrate God, talk about God, worship God, you can't say "every time." That presumes that Catholics only talk to God one day a week.

2. Again I have to say that the Catholic Mass isn't that way to me or. I'm not Catholic but I'm guessing it isn't that way to most Catholics. To some it might be. I don't know. That's a question of their relationship with God, the same question that can be asked of Christians in general. Joining in with fellow Christians and restating your faith to God once a week, I don't see that as a parrot or a dictation machine.

Upvote 0

KC Catholic

Everybody's gone surfin'...Surfin' U.S.A
Feb 5, 2002
Overland Park, KS
✟21,887.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I converted a couple years ago to Catholicism.

Before I converted I had many of the same issues or concerns that Recon has mentioned. Once I took the time to learn and understand the deep meanings behind the prayers we say each week (I say most of them daily) it brought to me a deeper meaning of what being a Christian and living life for Christ truly means.

Each week as a congregation we:

1. Ask God for forgiveness of our sins and failings.

2. Ask God for his grace and forgiveness.

3. Praise God for Christ's sacrafice and celebrate the last supper during Mass of the Eucharist.

3. Say the Lords Prayer - as Christ taught.

4. Profess our faith and exactly what we believe each week.

5. Pray for the leaders of our country, of our church, the unborn, the sick, dying and those who have passed on.

6. Hear the Word of God

The format may seem the same, but the words, the intentions all change each week.

Try attending a Mass with an open mind and open heart and you will see Christ presence in the people and the Mass.

Upvote 0

Wolseley

Beaucoup-Diên-Cai-Dāu
Feb 5, 2002
By the shores of Gitchee-Goomee
✟277,080.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
My apologies, Recon----I had a wedding to attend Saturday, and since Friday things were a tad harried around here. Your concern was:

How would you feel if all your friends got together and said the same thing to you every time they talked to you? No matter how good it is what they are saying, its the same thing every time. Wouldn't you begin to wonder if they have been transformed into parrots or dictation machines or something?
Wouldn't you want to hear what is really on their minds instead of hearing the same thing over and over?

This might be a problem, if all we did was recite prayers with no feeling once a week for an hour and a half at Mass.

However, we don't. I, for one, try to concentrate on the prayers at Mass, in order to derive benefit from them as well as worship Christ. I also believe that God wants us to have a structured worship environment at Mass; otherwise, He wouldn't have inspired the Church to set it up that way. Try picking up a copy of the Didache and reading through it. This is a Christian liturgical manual which was written about 60 A.D.; you'd be surprised how similar the worship structure described there is to the present-day Catholic Mass. We haven't changed much over the last 1,940 years, really. Drastic changes in Christian worship styles only got started after the 16th century with the advent of the Reformation.

Secondly, keep in mind that there are many, many types of of prayer, not just one or two. There is the structured worship prayer of Mass, which you seem to object to; there is also devotional prayer, which may also include an element of repetition. There is also intercessory prayer, performed for another's benefit; petitonal prayer, where you ask God for something; and thanksgiving prayer. There are mental prayers which come mostly from the head, usually known as meditation, and there are ejaculatory prayers which come from the emotions.

There is nothing wrong with spontaneous, non-structured conversation with God, and indeed, every Christian should engage in this type of prayer. I do, to some degree, every day. But that doesn't mean that the structured, repetitive prayers at Mass are wrong; it simply means that I am engaging in two different types of prayer at two different times during the week. So I doubt that God is unhappy with me because I say the same things at Mass every Sunday. If that's all I was doing, He might feel a bit slighted, but I also engage in a lot of other types of prayer at various times every day throughout the course of the week----not just the Sunday Mass prayers.

Benedicat vos Omnipotens Deus, Pater, et Filius, et Spiritus Sanctus,
------Wols.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.