Do Catholics and Orthodox rely on private interpretation?

Cappadocious

Sep 29, 2012
✟30,661.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
You mean like the difference between something like gluttony and something like having a weak body?
Yeah. Sometimes we mean something similar when we talk about sin. We can talk about guilty sin, like when you're a glutton, and we can also talk about the sinfulness of getting cancer, being mortal, being in a world and in a soul body that has hideous temptations, etc.

Upvote 0
Oct 13, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
✟1,657.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
I'm lost. I don't understand what you are saying. How can Brianchaninov say that Mary lived an "immaculate life", and then say that "sin and eternal death manifested their presence in her"?

I understand him as meaning that she was completely dedicated to pleasing God all of her life. I understand that to mean that no act or omission, no matter how small, which she felt was less then perfect was immediately confessed to God as sin and immediately forgiven.

A person is "immaculate" who has been cleansed by God.

I believe she was so attuned to God's holiness that she would confess anything that even tempted her and thereby defeat anything that had any potential to separate her from God.

1Jo 1:9 If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

But, I am getting into my own understanding. I hope I have been of some assistance.

Upvote 0

laternonjuror

May 20, 2015
✟15,306.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
I have no idea what you are basing this oral tradition on. If I don't know what the Church dogmatically teaches on something, it's easy to find out through authoritative sources like the Catechism.

For example, I know the Church dogmatically teaches that Mary is Immaculately concieved. I can interpret Scripture for my myself, but not deny the Immaculate Conception or any other Church dogmas, such as the N.T. Canon.

That the Roman Church teaches the Immaculate Conception of Mary, we know ! But the, One, Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church, the Church of God, or the Body of Christ, teaches via the Ecumenical Councils that the Lady is, the Theotokos, All Holy and Immaculate and Ever Virgin , the Mother of God!
The wretched thing is that the idea of authority in the west, is decaying.For myself,as an Anglican Catholic,I believe we should look to antiquity for the answers, Revelation, Scripture and Holy Tradition! This idea was held and readily accepted until the eighteenth century and the idea of latitudinarianism, that gained credibility at that time is now rampant!
Further, one is not obliged to believe that it is necessary to accept this as dogma. All except belief in the Theotokos!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I understand him as meaning that she was completely dedicated to pleasing God all of her life. I understand that to mean that no act or omission, no matter how small, which she felt was less then perfect was immediately confessed to God as sin and immediately forgiven.

A person is "immaculate" who has been cleansed by God.
So, would you agree with the theory that is much more likely than the "Immaculate Conception," which is that God cleansed her upon choosing her. There is no reason, let along a scriptural basis, for assuming that she had been conceived without sin.

Upvote 0
Oct 13, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
✟1,657.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
So, would you agree with the theory that is much more likely than the "Immaculate Conception," which is that God cleansed her upon choosing her. There is no reason, let along a scriptural basis, for assuming that she had been conceived without sin.

My understanding of the immaculate conception is that Mary was given a special gift to avoid all sin.

As for God cleansing her, it seems like speculation which doesn't not really answer any questions.

The scripture reveals that Mary was highly favored of the Lord. The Orthodox Church teaches that she was a dedicated virgin. I really don't think I am competent to go beyond that.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
My understanding of the immaculate conception is that Mary was given a special gift to avoid all sin.
No, it holds that God intervened to spare her from having Original Sin in the way that everyone else inherits it. Immaculate + Conception. The Orthodox conception is somewhat different, I realize.

As for God cleansing her, it seems like speculation which doesn't not really answer any questions.
Yes, it is speculation, but it's much more plausible than speculating that some divine intervention kept her from having Original Sin.

The scripture reveals that Mary was highly favored of the Lord. The Orthodox Church teaches that she was a dedicated virgin. I really don't think I am competent to go beyond that.

Upvote 0
Oct 13, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
✟1,657.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
No, it holds that God intervened to spare her from having Original Sin in the way that everyone else inherits it. Immaculate + Conception. The Orthodox conception is somewhat different, I realize.

Yes, it is speculation, but it's much more plausible than speculating that some divine intervention kept her from having Original Sin.

Well, I'd rather not argue about who has the best speculation. ;-)

Reactions: laternonjuror
Upvote 0