Do any of you smoke?

T

TruthSeeker2012

I do. Secretly. Why is it we have to hide this from other Christians? Is it a sin?

I used to smoke when I was an antichrist and unbeliever in Christ. But once I came to Christ and was born again, I immediately was convicted by the Holy Spirit to stop drinking and stop smoking and I did and have never smoked again.

If you are still smoking and it doesn't bother you that you are poisoning the temple of God then I would wonder if you have ever sincerely come to Christ in the first place and been sealed and born of the Holy Spirit?

Did Mary smoke? Would Jesus smoke?

God bless.

Upvote 0

If Not For Grace

Legend-but then so's Keith Richards
Feb 4, 2005
Curtis Loew's House w/Kid Rock & Hank III
Visit site
✟46,998.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I'm Hooked-IMHO Smoking is like overeating (being fat), it is certainly not good for you and harms the temple, It's like Paul said "the things I would not do I do". There are many quit smoking threads in the recovery section of this forum. All things may be lawful unto me, but again as Paul said not all things are beneficial. Smoking is one that is NOT beneficial.

However-TruthSeeker-How dare you wonder about the "sincerity" of someone ever coming to Christ, because they "fall short" in some area. No one is perfect including you & you just answered the question of why people feel condemed-so judgemental and as to why people can not honestly admit their flaws in some "christian: circles.

I'd rather be in the company of taxpayers than so called "christians" with an attidute of condemnation. Maybe one day when/if you make the pearly gates some former addicts can explain the damage this type attitude causes. Stumbling Block is insufficient to cover it.

And whether or not Mary/Jesus smoked-I don't know, but I do know they Drank alcohol.

Reactions: Jayangel81
Upvote 0

Reminisce

Nov 3, 2011
✟1,391.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I used to smoke when I was an antichrist and unbeliever in Christ. But once I came to Christ and was born again, I immediately was convicted by the Holy Spirit to stop drinking and stop smoking and I did and have never smoked again.

If you are still smoking and it doesn't bother you that you are poisoning the temple of God then I would wonder if you have ever sincerely come to Christ in the first place and been sealed and born of the Holy Spirit?

Did Mary smoke? Would Jesus smoke?

God bless.

Thanks for judging.

Upvote 0

Pal Handy

Irregular Member
Jun 15, 2011
Southeast Michigan
✟20,508.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I do. Secretly. Why is it we have to hide this from other Christians? Is it a sin?
Because people are flawed and they want to hold others to
a higher standard than they hold for themselves.

It is backward....

People do it backwards than the way God asks us to do life.

We are hard on others and easy on ourselves and God tells us
to show grace and mercy to others as He has to us and to judge
our own actions and set a high standard for ourselves and
to love others as we have been loved by God and want to be loved by others.

I was in a place where they made a rule that no one who smoked could be involved in a ministry.

Others and myself disagreed with this ruling and were pushed aside
as people where taken out of ministry and humiliated.

Many left and the end of their walk with God was not good.

They lost faith and began thinking that God had pushed them out
of the church when in reality it was the devil who brought about
the appearance of good while breaking the heart of God who had sent those
people to the church to be loved and nurtured into a healthy understanding
of the love of God for them not based on how good they are but on God's
absolute love for them based in Christ.

Sorry that you are seeing the bad side of religion instead of seeing the love of God
as expressed through Christ and through those that follow Him.

Don't let anyone drive you away from God.

Don't let religious people convince you that you are not loved and acceptable to God
in what Christ did for you on the cross.

God loves you absolutely so don't let imperfect people convince
you that you have to do or perform to earn the love of God
in Christ that God freely gives to all men.

God is love and He loves you and all people absolutely.

Some reject God's love in Christ but God have mercy on those
who cause people to reject God's love because they have
lied to them and told them that God only loves those who are
nearly perfect.

God loves all people and so all can be saved if they will set their pride
aside and allow God to love them.

Keep the faith and grow in the love of God in Christ and determine
that you will not love others the way others have loved you but that
you will love others as God has loved you and forgiven you.

God has given Himself to you so completely in Jesus Christ who made a way
for you to be with Him forever so love others like He loves you and
go easy on others but hold yourself to the high standard of the love of God as expressed in Christ...

Ps forgive those who use and abuse you, even if they call themselves Christians.....

Last edited:
Upvote 0

iambren

Mar 2, 2008
newark, ohio
✟12,121.00
Faith
Nazarene
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
If overeating, being overweight, and failing to exercise is a sin....yeah, smoking is a sin. I can think of far worse sins however.

I gave up smoking cigars 6 years ago. I LOVED to smoke. In the evenings with a cup of coffee and a cigar I would look to the skies as my prayer time. I knew God would rather I didn't, I did feel bad about it, but couldn't break the addiction. I would quit for a couple months then a stressful event would happen and I'd go right back to it.

Now, it doesn't bother me. I'm not tempted and am so glad. The only negatives are that I hate to drive a car long distances(liked smoking when drived) and I don't appreciate the extra 20 lbs I picked up. But it's good to be free, clean, and I don't smell of smoke anymore. Rarely do I get bronchitis anymore. It's a battle for sure; I wish you luck in quiting.

Upvote 0

znr

Report THIS.
Site Supporter
Apr 13, 2010
Silverado
✟52,720.00
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Private
If overeating, being overweight, and failing to exercise is a sin....yeah, smoking is a sin. I can think of far worse sins however.

I gave up smoking cigars 6 years ago. I LOVED to smoke. In the evenings with a cup of coffee and a cigar I would look to the skies as my prayer time. I knew God would rather I didn't, I did feel bad about it, but couldn't break the addiction. I would quit for a couple months then a stressful event would happen and I'd go right back to it.

Now, it doesn't bother me. I'm not tempted and am so glad. The only negatives are that I hate to drive a car long distances(liked smoking when drived) and I don't appreciate the extra 20 lbs I picked up. But it's good to be free, clean, and I don't smell of smoke anymore. Rarely do I get bronchitis anymore. It's a battle for sure; I wish you luck in quiting.

How did you get through the greif of losing the meditative aspect of smoking as prayer? I find this the greatest loss and to this day it stings. I don't miss smoking, in fact I tried this month to smoke and it fell flat, I don't want to smoke anymore. But I miss the prayer time part, the relaxing meditative part.

Upvote 0

znr

Report THIS.
Site Supporter
Apr 13, 2010
Silverado
✟52,720.00
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Private

We try to hide it because we feel we might be judged. Maybe 99 Christian's might say it's an addiction and admit they also struggle with things that are addictive or addictions, but it's that 1 person who is ready to pounce with condemnation that makes us hide in the shadows. And my numbers are off. More like 80/20. :)

A sin? about the same as eating donuts every morning.

Upvote 0
Oct 7, 2011
Scotland
✟7,846.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Hi Remy,

I think you've found out from certain people in this thread why Christians feel the need to hide the fact that they smoke. Some would be very quick to judge others, and frankly they have no right to.

I've smoked on and off since I was 21 (I'm now 30). This time, I'm not had one since the 11th of Jan this year (not that I'm counting....3.24pm to be exact! :p ). Someone else said above that they can stop for a little while, then something happens and they're right back on 'em again. Yup, that's me too.

Honestly, I wouldn't stress about it too much - not least because stress is one thing that makes folk want a smoke more :p - but seriously, if you're meant to stop, that's something you and God will sort out between the pair of you when the time's right. And actually, a struggle to quit smoking can actually help one's witness, not harm it. Here's why:

It actually shows that Christians are normal people too, with the same struggles and troubles as everyone else. That, to me anyway, is a very humbling thought: I'm not inherently pious just because I happen to be a Christian. And every time I do quit again (I'm under no illusions: this time will probably not be the last) it brings me that little bit closer to God because I need to depend on Him more. My motto right about now is: "Right Lord: it's just You, me and an inhalator" :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
N

Nanopants

I was born again and I do smoke and drink in moderation. And no I do not feel guilty about it at all. Sin and unrighteousness concern the thoughts and intents of the heart, not trivial physical things. We're called to be cleansed from the inside out, and it's easy to get caught up in trying to produce an appearance of godliness instead of being actually changed.

Upvote 0

forGod1

Jul 29, 2010
Saskatchewan, Canada
✟9,232.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I smoke.. ya know, I don't even know if I should post in these forums. Am I even Christian? I believe in God, yet I still have no will power. I don't pray to quit.. I just sit in this depression..

anyways, yea, its a sin.. holy temple + all those chemicals.. sin.

Reactions: Forgiven828
Upvote 0

UTVols345

Jan 16, 2012
Seymour,TN
✟7,736.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
However-TruthSeeker-How dare you wonder about the "sincerity" of someone ever coming to Christ, because they "fall short" in some area. No one is perfect including you & you just answered the question of why people feel condemed-so judgemental and as to why people can not honestly admit their flaws in some "christian: circles.

I'd rather be in the company of taxpayers than so called "christians" with an attidute of condemnation. Maybe one day when/if you make the pearly gates some former addicts can explain the damage this type attitude causes. Stumbling Block is insufficient to cover it.

And whether or not Mary/Jesus smoked-I don't know, but I do know they Drank alcohol.

:amen: :clap:

Upvote 0

Peripatetic

Restless mind, peaceful soul.
Feb 28, 2010
✟22,095.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I don't smoke, and I don't think it's a good health choice, but I don't think it's sinful. Caffeine can also be addicting and coffee can cause health problems like ulcers and acid reflux, but I'm guessing a lot less people would condemn it. Why? Because they like it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

gideon123

Humble Servant of God
Dec 25, 2011
USA
✟59,081.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Personally I do not believe that smoking is a sin.
Or not a serious one, anyway.
I don't give Christians a hard time if they do it.

However, for your own health I would encourage you to stop if possible.
I do understand that it is very hard to quit.

The main problem is the future opportunities that you are going to miss.
My own mother missed my wedding, and also missed seeing her grandchildren. What a terrible shame, and such a huge loss in her life. She would have so loved to see those little ones. She died at 64 from cancer ... she was a smoker all of her life.

cheers,
Gideon123

Upvote 0

wayfaring man

Veteran
Jan 25, 2004
✟20,565.00
Faith
Non-Denom
I literally hate smoking. And had to in order to quit those little buggers many years ago.

Consider that God breathed life into man. And every time we breathe His fresh clean air, it represents His breath all over again...but if we carelessly, leisurely pollute His air, and the air He has given others to breathe, how can that possibly be in line with showing love and appreciation for His great gift of breath !

And the nations were angry, and thy wrath is come, and the time of the dead, that they should be judged, and that thou should give reward unto thy servants the prophets, and to the saints, and them that fear thy name, small and great; and should destroy them which destroy the earth. <-----> Revelation 11:18

Who knew ? God's an environmentalist ! And therefore, so am I !

wm

Upvote 0

child0fg0d88

His wants are above my own
Jan 1, 2012
✟15,403.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
I used to smoke as well, my last cigarette was 30 Oct 2011. The reason I quit wasn't because God told me I should. I quit because I was not as productive at work, I was trying to get my finances back in order, and I was not working out as much as I wanted to. Since I quit, I have more energy, do more at work, am better with my finances, not to mention the $150 a month I'm saving. :p

Is it a sin to do something harmful like that to your body? Maybe... But anytime anyone eats a cookie, or a piece of cake, or some other type of food that doesn't benefit their body, then they can say the same thing.

I think you should quit when you're ready to quit, and not cause someone else is trying to make you quit.

Upvote 0
Dec 26, 2011
Missouri
✟15,211.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution

Hi rem,

I dont know if its a sin as I am newer than alot of the people on here. What I do believe though is that God would want us to take care of our bodies and lead by example for others. Smoking is one of those things that is definately negative and there is no plus side to it.

I smoked for 25 years and quit last year. I tried everything, medication, cold turkey. What finally worked for me was an e-cig.

It is awful difficult to spread the word when your breath stinks :) I hope you can find a way to quit and make yourself healthier! Good luck!

Upvote 0