Do animals have purpose beyond consumption?

Bananagator

Are you pondering what I'm pondering?
Nov 20, 2013
✟14,432.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
I absolutely believe that. Studies have shown that having a cat or dog can reduce stress and/or depression, especially in elderly folk.

My cat's a great little companion. She looooves watching my parents do things around the house. It's the cutest thing; she'll just sit there in the same place and watch them with this wide-eyed expression. She's good company.

Upvote 0

blackribbon

Not a newbie
Dec 18, 2011
✟190,401.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Since man was not even allowed to eat animals until Genesis 9:3, He obviously designed them for more than just livestock.

Our family pets were a very important part in helping my kids heal after their daddy died of cancer. We recognize that they are animals but at the same time, they are members of the family.

Upvote 0

RuthD

blah blah blah
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2006
Earth
✟191,472.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Animals are mistreated by many. I don't believe they were put on earth just to be food, if at all. Sorry I don't believe the scripture on that one. I don't believe every scripture there is because my feelings tell me different regarding animals. There is such a thing called Specieism, the belief that one's species is superior to all other species which many people now do not believe. There are many on the side of animals to not be used for anything but to have free lives and be with their familys and take care of them just as we do. I know it's hard to believe this if you think animals were only made for humans. I advocate for animals and a legal defense fund has come to be that is going to get a bill of rights for animals, all animals. I believe it will happen one day, may not be yet but it will happen.

Reactions: Brookelowe454
Upvote 0

dyingslowly

Mar 16, 2015
Singapore
✟2,986.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
That is true... animals weren't created to be consumed in the first place. It's the reason why I decided to be a vegetarian.

It's a personal choice. I'm perfectly fine sitting side-by-side with a meat-eater in the diner.

I have three precious adopted dogs.

I'm actually more interested in knowing whether our pets go to Heaven.

Reactions: Brookelowe454
Upvote 0

drjean

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 16, 2011
✟313,070.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
What I believe from reading Scripture?

God made the fish, birds and the animals before mankind, so they were very important to Him as part of His creation, and he blessed them. Genesis 1

God gave them a spirit that worships Him. Psalm 148

God had Adam name each one, so again, to me this shows how special they are to Him. Genesis 2

Animals are in heaven... doing what they were first created to do.

[FONT='times new roman', times] “Praise the Lord from the earth, you great sea creatures… beasts and all cattle; creeping things and flying fowl; …let them praise the Name of the Lord for His Name alone is exalted. His Glory is above earth and heaven.” Psalm 148:7-13. “Let everything that has breath praise the Lord.” Psalm 150:6[/FONT]

[FONT='times new roman', times]The living creatures around God’s throne who are singing Holy! Holy! Holy! is the Lord of Hosts; the whole earth is full of His Glory! are animals (Isaiah 6:3).[/FONT]

If WE can love animals so much, imagine God's love for them! I also personally believe mankind could talk with the animals before the fall...and after the fall, animals could only listen and not be heard but they know what we say?

Upvote 0

billypayton

† Brother of Jesus
Site Supporter
May 15, 2010
NC
✟28,961.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Constitution
My point is, Ty has helped me for 8 + months now.

262611-albums3783-51771.jpg

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Dandelion

Sep 23, 2003
Iowa
✟15,208.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I found these two passages many years ago and it has convinced me that if the animals are included in the covenants God made with man then they will be in heaven and the New Earth with man, also.

"I am establishing my covenant with you and your descendants after you, and with every living creature that is with you, the birds, the domestic animals, and every animal of the earth with you, as many as came out of the ark." Genesis 9:9-10

"For the creation waits with eager longing for the revealing of the children of God; for the creation was subjected to futility, not of its own will but by the will of the one who subjected it, in hope that the creation itself will be set free from its bondage to decay and will obtain the freedom of the glory of the children of God." Romans 8:19-21

Upvote 0
May 28, 2014
Greeneville
Visit site
✟44,101.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Animals are mistreated by many. I don't believe they were put on earth just to be food, if at all. Sorry I don't believe the scripture on that one. I don't believe every scripture there is because my feelings tell me different regarding animals. There is such a thing called Specieism, the belief that one's species is superior to all other species which many people now do not believe. There are many on the side of animals to not be used for anything but to have free lives and be with their familys and take care of them just as we do. I know it's hard to believe this if you think animals were only made for humans. I advocate for animals and a legal defense fund has come to be that is going to get a bill of rights for animals, all animals. I believe it will happen one day, may not be yet but it will happen.

My Pastor used to warn us all the time not to trust our hearts and feelings over the Scriptures. The Scriptures are infallible and perfect, whereas humans are fallible and their hearts are sinful. Which would you rather trust, an infallible God or a fallible and sinful human being? The fact that you are putting your trust in your feelings tells me that you would rather trust in imperfect man over what a perfect God says. And honey, that is just a path that leads to error.

Why are you trusting in your heart? The Bible says that "the heart is deceitful above all things and desperately wicked, who can know it?"

And that out of the heart of man comes all kinds of sin.

Upvote 0

Faithfulandtrue

Follow of Jesus Christ
Jun 24, 2014
✟40,313.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I absolutely believe God gave them more purpose than just consumption. God uses animals in many people's lives to show love and companionship in ways only God can show through His creatures. And as God's word says in many places, all of God's creation speaks for His glory. I enjoy looking at God's animals and admiring how creative God is. When ever I see something in nature that is so beautiful I think wow and God must be so much more beautiful than this! :)

Upvote 0
Nov 8, 2015
✟7,667.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Some passages that come to mind as relevant:
  • animals serving as lessons for man, for example:
    • the ant, spider, and other animals in Proverbs and Job
    • the sparrows in the gospels, e.g. Luke 12:6-7, Matthew 10:29, (which also indirectly show God's care for His animal creatures)
    • pet lamb in 2 Samuel 12:3 The illustration of a beloved pet is so meaningful to David, Nathan is able to use it to bring the hardened David to repentance. Indirectly, this shows something of the companionship an animal can provide.
  • animals displays God's glory, Genesis 1:20-26, Psalms 148, Isaiah 6:3 (I don't take this to mean they have souls, any more than the sun, moon or clouds do, Psalms 148:3-4, but they show something of His glory, and thus bring Him praise, see Psalms 19:1-4. This thread is the first I've heard of seraphim (Isaiah 6:2-3) being understood to be animals, rather than angelic beings.]
    • His power, e.g. bringing food to Elijah, 1 Kings 17:4-6
    • His sovereignty, e.g. the leviathan, Job 41

• Winner
Reactions: royal priest
Upvote 0

Soma Seer

Sep 19, 2015
✟8,555.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
I absolutely believe God gave them more purpose than just consumption. God uses animals in many people's lives to show love and companionship in ways only God can show through His creatures. And as God's word says in many places, all of God's creation speaks for His glory. I enjoy looking at God's animals and admiring how creative God is.

Agreed! :D

I've had the pleasure and fortune to live with a variety of animal species over the years; all of them have been/are unique and wonderful, in their own special way. (I especially loved it when my birds would burst into dance at the start of a favorite song, or when any species would display silly, playful behavior for the sheer joy of it.)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Brookelowe454

Nov 7, 2015
✟15,774.00
Faith
Buddhist
Marital Status
Private

I agree 100%. I am also an animal rights activist, and I don't believe that they were made for humans at all. Also, we are technically classified as animals, so we are not superior to them. We actually don't know how intelligent they are yet, but new studies are showing that they are smarter than we think!

Upvote 0

dogs4thewin

dog lover
Christian Forums Staff
Hands-on Trainee
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2012
Georgia U.S. State
✟897,667.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
We know God gave us animals as a means for food. It says so in scripture. Do animals have a purpose beyond that. Can a purpose for them be to bring companionship and friendship to people? Do you think their are animas God created specially to bring us friendship, joy, happiness, etc?
Yes, and I also believe that other animals are meant to simply enrich the quality of life here on Earth.

Upvote 0